Fun with relocating

KennyBMallNinja

I'll have to work on the screen shots later but now on day 62 of a Random Gen Map and had to leave my happy walled military camp for new grounds since I was started off in the southeast corner of the map. Reason it's taken me 62 days is mainly me getting a handle on how things work in game. That brings me to the fun part. I found a few outlying buildings to the north which are a large house, autoshop/store, 3 story motel and a small shack with tin walls in the yard. Since horde night is rapidly approaching I already started the preps of going over to the motel(The roof of the store is going to be my operating base). I went to the 3rd floor and knocked out a 6x2 section of the walk way and did the same directly under this hole for the 2nd floor. Next phase will be to place iron reinforced spikes along that section of the walkway on the 1st floor with the idea of the horde falling down the hole into the spikes forcing them to crawl over them. Any thoughts to this? Also if anyone has tips on taking screenshots on the Xbox One I'd appreciate it as well.

Welcome to the game.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn what you can actually do, from crafting (reinforced drawbridge via workbench that isnt listed), as well as understand structural integrity (building can be unforgiving till you learn), there's quite a lot that can be accomplished despite limitations on console.

As you are new, not sure how much you know over all, but, when you talk about that shed with a fence around it, check that shed out. It should have metal plates in a single row on the floor. Knock those out...

Also, keep an eye out for a 1 room house that has a Well in the back yard of it. Check out that Well too. Just be sure to have some wood on you.

Another last minute addition to this novel, remember at 0.0 on the map, (usually right at it or slightly off) is the main hub city (though I do believe some people actually have found maps without a hub city). You'll find 2 of every store, along with spider zombies, cops, ferals, dogs, and everything else lol. Some maps have the chance of multiple hub cities. You'll know if a town is a mini hub city if you enter it, it has the wasteland effects/sounds, and many of the buildings are partially collapsed/destroyed, and they'll have 2 of every store too. FYI, don't be near a car if a cop is around lol, and don't go unless you have some decent firepower, sometimes it's not too bad, while other times I've been swarmed. I prefer to go once I have a minibike, but always with weapons if desperate to find something.

Also, just to toss it out there in case you didn't know, if you play RWG maps, don't forget what you name it is your Seed name. There are plenty of Seeds listed that could spark your interest for finding a very good map. There's a thread here as well as Crackpot Texas on YouTube who has done 27 videos (some are remakes) showcasing locations of towns and traders. Just remember everything is case sensitive, as well as spaces, 1 change will alter the entire map. For instance, AllOurDestiny was great, just no actual snow biome, and currently on Valencia which has provided me with much to do in many locations. But there are even more out there that might be more appealing to your tastes.

As for Spikes, they are virtually OP like no tomorrow lol. If you make pits, spare yourself some agony and forge iron bars to lay down on the floor above it where you plan to fight from, that way you can shoot directly downward without fear of falling off. Plus Iron bars have a 2500 HP, so its the strongest option available to shoot through. Just be sure to reinforce around you incase a cop explodes, cause if the floor is wood, you'll be joining them downstairs lol. But if you can force them to funnel to where you're at, they won't stand much of a chance.

Xbox, just be aware many have come across a bug in the game on this system. MD5 error to be exact, that has a very nasty habit of reseting POIs and deleting everything you built/placed in it. I'm on PS4, so I can't say from personal experience what all happens, just know of it.

The game can still be quite fun, especially if you continuously give yourself goals. I loved building, but was disheartened when we lost our update that would've put us at A16 with the painting system, among other aspects that we didn't get. (Thanks Telltale).

Hope that wasn't too bad of a read, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer them best I can. Just don't forget console and PC are extremely different now, so if you watch any videos on gameplay, you'd be disappointed on what we lack, but there are plenty of videos that can inspire designs still. We might not have what PC has, but we can still accomplish some pretty awesome things with a creative mind.

Thanks, been playing for a bit now and been having fun with it. Last night I survived the Day 63 horde and finally saw my 1st Cop zombie. I think due to the remote nature of the Military Camp I was only getting the normal range of zeds along with a few dogs. However all my preparation was for nothing since the Zeds themselves are not exceptionally bright when it comes to pathfinding on the console it seems. Rather than go through my scrap iron spikes to get to the stairs they just hovered underneath where I was standing on the 3rd floor. I ended up busting out a wall and putting ladders down to the roof of the office so I could target them. Overall it was an easy horde night. Good thing is I am setting up staging bases into the wasteland and further into the interior of the map. Just going to have to spend a day transporting material from the old base to the new one which will be a chore since I have not come across a shopping center yet. :(

Yeah, the various zombies you'll encounter, especially during horde night, seems to be based off either our zombie kill count. Though that won't matter if you enter a hub city, they'll all show up on day 1 there.

AI isn't the brightest in this version. That's why I prefer to lay down iron bars and hover on them so they'll gather beneath me. Though they do sometimes have a little intelligence and try to bring down the walls beneath you. Once well prepared, they aren't much of a threat.

Ah the Wasteland... while invaluable for resources with scrap iron laying everywhere, and the many cars to break down. But the land mines is what you have to seriously watch for, as well as the multitude of dogs that'll spawn there with the occasional Feral. If you haven't seen one of them yet, hope to have a SMG or Ak-47 to bring then down quick. They run regardless of time/settings, and good bullet sponge. Over all, Wasteland can be fun, but it's the aftermath of bombing, so unless you find a town, or a few dirt road POI's, it's deserted and dead. I've only seen chickens and rabbits running around there.

I play for long term myself, so my end goal is to have multiple bases of various designs in key locations to capitalize on looting it's respective region. Though the real grind for me, is I build a centralized Forge/Workshop at bedrock, and attempt to connect the entire set up via tunnels underground. It's my endgame goal, and it keeps my interest invested, though I still prefer to be above ground the majority if my time. On AllOurDestiny, the tunnel system was beyond invaluable as a massive body of water cut the map in half and it provided me access to the North from the South where I started. What really sealed it for me was an island just south of the main hub that I converted into a mansion/fortress, it was amazing to create, but no true snow biome so I abandoned it after over 100 days. The resources I had was ridiculous lol.

If you're playing as a Nomad, take only what you really need. At day 63, I would hope you have a minibike by now. Keep pockets of resources and mark your map where they remain, that way down the road if you do find a location you wish to settle down on, trips back won't be difficult. It's actually kind of rewarding to go back after a long time and find items you long forgotten about lol.

If you happen to find snow, you'll never worry about water ever again. Shovel a healthy stack as it only takes 1 snowball to make clean water. So a stack of say 1000 grants you 1000 bottles of clean water. Unbalanced as hell, but I'm spoiled now since finally playing in a snow biome last few months lol.

Incase you didn't know, forges, workbenches, and chemical stations can all be picked up by using a wrench. Key for a quick pick up for the forge is to wear them down without breaking them with pickaxe or fireaxe, especially since it has 1200 hp. Long as the wrench makes the final hit against it, it'll pick up. Same goes for mobile spotlights, though I would use the wrench only since they don't have much health like the workbench and chemical station. Prisons, Brothers Theater are prime locations to get 4 a pop.

But as for transporting from one base to another, best to leave behind what you really don't need. Iron, stone is easy to get anywhere, and don't forget the small grey boulders contain both along with providing lead, and nitrate or coal. Once you max out Miner 69er with a quality 540 to 600 Steel Pickaxe, 3 hits to completely destroy them is amazing.

The game is fun, but it can be ridiculously easy at times, especially if RNG blesses you. Only on day 29 of my current game (went on creative to obtain items unavailable to us on regular settings, though have a method to "craft" them still), but day 2 had a mining helmet and the 1st air drop gave me my minibike schematic. Done found nearly 10 more since then, yet had to buy shotgun and hunting rifle schematic from a trader, and my sniper rifle costed me 15k for a 430ish quality as my current one went from Q39 to Q240ish from finding parts. By morning of day 21, was already level 81. Though it should be mentioned I play 120 minute day cycles.

Good tip on traveling is to stick to the main roads. While some will come to a dead end, it will provide info on your map of dirt roads to later explore, as well as bring you to towns on your map. Early games I just went with anything or Navezgane (good for a polished structured map despite being small), but nothing is more game breaking for me than being on a map that barely has any towns to explore and loot. Averages say at least 7 towns plus main hub, but I have been on a map with less than that and plagued with just crossroads.

And incase you didn't know, edge of the map in RWG is circular, and around 3400k from center. If you haven't experienced crossing into that wasteland, expect to die in like 3 seconds as you'll take like 40 points or more of damage about every second or 2. I've seen roads run into the dead zone, towns clipped into it, to even just a corner of the town, so keep an eye out on your map, it'll show up in red.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I've been basically setting up a complete new base at each location. At the new Army Camp I've set up a forge and the storage boxes for various items. You do have me very interested in the idea of a tunnel connecting all the bases. Be more fun if I can do it and make a room as a *basement* of each base so that I can put a minibike down there and simply ride to the various locations rather than walk(A bit lazy I know but it would be a good escape plan as well in case of base overrun. I did recently up the spawn to max level to make things a bit more challenging. I did learn though you can only have 1 land claim block per map as I got back to the new camp only to find a horde inside the camp that I had to re-purge. Other than that I am still stockpiling the new base up so I can start exploring the wasteland city to my south. I am going to attempt to get some screenshots in the next few days but while yes this game is not complete I am still enjoying the exploration aspect of it. :)

I actually do keep a minibike underground with my centralized forge. Though do be aware that sometimes a minibike can get launched up to the surface, sometimes stuck like 3 to 5 blocks under the surface. Really no explanation as to why it can happen, but you'll have to dig it out when it happens. More annoying than anything. But to be fair, Ive see it glitch from the surface to a few blocks underground too for zero reasons. As well as wandering away from my bike only to return from looting to find it sitting on the road in flames lol.

I've learned to always have repair kits stored in the minibike. Of course I personally keep 5 med kits, some antibotics, and a full stack of gas too, but that's just my preference lol.

As for entering and exiting from being underground on a bike, I accomplished this on my game using the seed AllOurDestiny and it was epic to me lol. Large mansion on a remote island just off the main hub city, it conquered the issue of the map being split by a large body of water. The biggest issue is the amount of space/length you need to build a ramp from bedrock to the surface. Ive seen where people have their entrance some distance away from their base that way the AI doesn't recognize it as way into your base, yet let's them drive into the base. I've never tried it, but apparently if you block the entrance with pillars, you can drive between them yet the zombies cant, but I can't confirm it.

If you do build a ramp, keep in mind you have 2 options. The standard ramp is a sharp incline/decline, and going upwards will slow you down, yet when you reach the last ramp, you'll launch from it lol. You can try to ease off the final ramp, or at the least plan for the jump so you don't crash into a wall lol. The benefit to the standard ramp is the straightforwardness in construction, for example, going 50ft down will be 50 ramps.

The other method is one I plan to use this time, and that's by using the wedge block and wedge tip. The incline/decline is way smoother, but the downside is it'll take a longer distance to complete vs the standard ramp distance.

As its nothing to obtain additional minibike parts as time passes in a game, my conclusion was to have 1 bike strictly for underground in order to reach the Base/Trader, while each base having its own bike so I could then travel in the region. The only downfall is having to run back and forth between bikes if you plan on having a main forge/workshop like I do. While not that bad, (I have drop boxes inside the base), I just personally like the concept of a smooth transition lol.

Yeah, I've never used land claim blocks. Mostly as the improved defensive resistance is for PvP, and not a fan of it. I know the bedroll/bed will prevent spawns, but only the most recent placement will count. I read claims that player placed blocks would prevent spawning, but I found that to be false in a POI building. I converted the junkyard found in Navezgane and added 2 more floors and they still spawned on the 2nd floor despite it not originally having a floor there. Which is why now I'll only use the underground bunker POI's as nothing will ever spawn in them, and look to build my bases personally.

Oh, and be extremely careful of using modern lights, they'll crash your game in a heartbeat with the severe FPS drops. My original game I converted to them and kept crashing within minutes of loading in, come to find out it was because of them. Once I knocked them out game didn't crash. The other tip I found was to break down the ones you find in the world that still work, this will allow you to use them at your base. But even torches can slow you down, ah, the limitations of consoles lol.

• 2 weeks later...

oh id love to a long term game on the xbox but i have been hit with the md5 too many times. now i set the options to be something way too hard for my feeble skills and if i last more than a few days i am doing well. an hour or six of tense entertainment - cant beat that.

i play dead is dead of course

I would play dead is dead, but I always end up with the 1 or 2 deaths from stupidity or glitch. My current game that I last played I have 2 deaths, both due to my ladder to my forge at bedrock. I jump down and jump again to stop, but both times when I went to catch myself the frame rate dropped just enough to cancel my input and I pancake myself lol.

Or my favorite is the radiation zone clipping into a corner of a town and accidentally running through it. And with zero mercy from the damage output, I've died a few times on other games due to that.

I can't remember the last time I actually died from zombies.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll have to work on the screen shots later but now on day 62 of a Random Gen Map and had to leave my happy walled military camp for new grounds since I was started off in the southeast corner of the map. Reason it's taken me 62 days is mainly me getting a handle on how things work in game. That brings me to the fun part. I found a few outlying buildings to the north which are a large house, autoshop/store, 3 story motel and a small shack with tin walls in the yard. Since horde night is rapidly approaching I already started the preps of going over to the motel(The roof of the store is going to be my operating base). I went to the 3rd floor and knocked out a 6x2 section of the walk way and did the same directly under this hole for the 2nd floor. Next phase will be to place iron reinforced spikes along that section of the walkway on the 1st floor with the idea of the horde falling down the hole into the spikes forcing them to crawl over them. Any thoughts to this? Also if anyone has tips on taking screenshots on the Xbox One I'd appreciate it as well.

I use http://www.xboxclips.com to share clips and screen shots on forums. I typed in your user name here after the backslash. But guess your username here isn't yourxbox gamer tag other wise I would of found your recent clips of games.

Archived