Chemistry Stations and Oil Shale?

KennyBMallNinja

Trying to find oil shale since looking in the gamepedia it says it was part of the A15 update and honestly scrapping vehicles for fuel is a PITA. I know the oil shale is supposed to be in the desert but does anyone have tips on what to look for so I can locate some? Also is the Chem Station a building option in the Workbench or is that somewhere else?

Oil shale is indeed in the desert region. As for tips, many suggest look for gravel spots on the surface, but all my methods have started from bedrock. I simply go to bed rock and dig in a straight line for a short bit, return and hit another direction. There's no true way to determine which way, but the way I always looked at it was I needed sand anyway for concrete, so it was a win-win situation lol. As for what to look for, it'll stand out from the sand texture, almost like rock.

Chemistry stations can be found (taken with a wrench), or crafted in the workbench, (you'll need 2 beakers and 3 cooking pots), Chemistry stations are found in the Hospital (Navezgane), Boobie Traps, and Pop n Pills.

Also found out when the Chem Station that you can use 2 animal fat + murky water + corn meal to get 100 fuel. So now I am the mighty hunter of all things 4 legged to make fuel. :)

Doesn't have to be animal fat. Kill a zombie and knife it and maybe get fat that way as well.

Was playing last night and made roughly 2K worth of fuel thanks to your zombie harvesting tip. Nice of the Zeds to oblige me by constantly showing up in herds at my way station base between camps.

That's how it is for me. I don't even have to leave my yard to go looting. Massive zombie hordes come to me. Easily 20+ come over to visit. Its nice to deliver me medic supplies and canned food and coins and what not. But gets old to repair stuff constantly besides make more arrows. I did put up a white picket fence around the yard. They don't break those. So keeps them at bay and gives me time to aim with my bow. Also got wood frames at the drip edge of the cabin peak so no spider zombies try to scale the walls. Also I elevator myself up to the attic. So i'm safe.

You can also make gas from the campfire.

Another alternative fuel is biofuel, once you start an actual farm, corn is nothing to produce. With fertilizer, each plant will give you 5.

I am seeing that now. Using biofuel via zombie fat I got a healthy fuel reserve and I am tempted to make some gas barrel bombs for horde nights.

- - - Updated - - -

That's how it is for me. I don't even have to leave my yard to go looting. Massive zombie hordes come to me. Easily 20+ come over to visit. Its nice to deliver me medic supplies and canned food and coins and what not. But gets old to repair stuff constantly besides make more arrows. I did put up a white picket fence around the yard. They don't break those. So keeps them at bay and gives me time to aim with my bow. Also got wood frames at the drip edge of the cabin peak so no spider zombies try to scale the walls. Also I elevator myself up to the attic. So i'm safe.

Funny you mention the spider zombie. At my 1st Army Camp I had made a walkway around the outer wall in hopes of keeping them out on horde night. Well one night I hear the Spider Zombie while I was in the tower. I watched it somehow get onto the walkway and it then ran across the yard past the kitchen going up and over the wall on that side. I was confused as hell as to what happened but I chalked it up as a bug.

I am seeing that now. Using biofuel via zombie fat I got a healthy fuel reserve and I am tempted to make some gas barrel bombs for horde nights.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny you mention the spider zombie. At my 1st Army Camp I had made a walkway around the outer wall in hopes of keeping them out on horde night. Well one night I hear the Spider Zombie while I was in the tower. I watched it somehow get onto the walkway and it then ran across the yard past the kitchen going up and over the wall on that side. I was confused as hell as to what happened but I chalked it up as a bug.

Only two to worry about in this game is spider zombies climbing in your base. Zombie dogs when on foot. The dogs usually in the wasteland area. Then these buildings in this video I just plop down wood frames then elevator ride up on a kitchen counter up to the side of a wall them pluck off zombies if it gets a bit rough with a couple hordes rolling through.

https://xboxclips.com/GRAW2ROBZ/cf3c4e0b-b3bc-4edf-95a2-816995bc77a5

Them two walled broken buildings are where I go to if dogs appear. Or worst case any of them large rocks can almost hold you up on a horde night. I almost survived yesterday. For got what day it was till the sky turned red. I was trying to swim back across the very wide river. Got on a rock. But they broke some of it then had a ramp like angle where a nurse sprinted up and freaked me out. But she fell off.

But then I made it my other base. But it wasn't ready yet. hey caved that building in. Oh well was a high end tree fort more less. I had to jump off of their and get my back pack from my death before. Then horde night ended then explored a new area. I got a new base built besides a white picket fence around the perimeter.

Debating to dig a deep trench in my yard if they get over the picket fence. But still looking for mini bike book. Being on foot takes to long. But most the areas i'm at not many roads. Mainly all rivers to swim. Swimming takes a long time and getting annoying. Debating to start a new map. I built a second forge now. Besides plenty of houses in the area had some.

But finding parts for another work bench is tough for mechanical parts. I been on plenty of roof tops busting up AC units. Broke down plenty of cars. Sometimes lucky and loot like 7 pieces of it in some areas. But then nothing for a while. Also didn't get the parts for a cement mixer yet or chem lab. But seems once you start making one of each at each base/outposts then that's when the MD5 bug could appear with so much memory going on crafting stuff.

Oh and a video here of framed wood around the drip edge gutters on the cabin I found. Just worried since its in the game people call it "point of interests" and could get the MD5 bug at this cabin? Reason why I started making a new outpost elsewhere yesterday. But horde night snuck up on me. I should of stayed at this cabin.

https://xboxclips.com/GRAW2ROBZ/a908a639-f61f-4278-a5f8-db37da33ae23

I need to start making some new clips. These are like a week old already.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived