Possible work around/ solution to MD5 error

sTokedRecon

This is my first post and I am trying to post in the console forums so hopefully it ends up in the right place where it may be of some help to xbox users.

Perhaps someone else has already tested this or posted in regards to this possible work around but I have not seen a similar post yet. I have not been playing for nearly as long as some players here, (only since 6/28/2017) but just recently purchased the game for xbox1 digital download. I purchased the game fully aware of the MD5 error issues that seem to plague some very devoted players. My reason for purchasing a known buggy game was that it has tons of devoted supporters on PC as well as consoles and it has a great number of aspects that I was searching for in a game. I have quickly become quite addicted to the game and was also hit by the md5 error at 38 days in and also 41 days into my first play through. Although I have abandoned (maybe only temporarily) my first play through save, I do believe I have been able to avoid the md5 error on my second play through.

I read through quite a lot of requests from players asking for the ability to 'manually save' because they think the cloud saves are not working properly or becoming corrupted. So I thought... "Did anyone confirm that there was anything wrong with the cloud?".

Since starting my 2nd play through, any time at all that I ever encounter some sort of crash or other similar hiccough, BEFORE RE-LAUNCHING the game, I always go into 'my games and apps' for xbox, manage game, delete the local save from CONSOLE (not the reserved space or the save from everywhere else which would be the cloud), and resume to re-launch the game, then patiently wait for the console to re-sync with the cloud saves. So far at least in single player, I have not become a continuing victim of the MD5 error that so commonly wipes out large portions of player made bases or other 'chunks' from in game.

Please note that I do not currently have a Gold xbox Live subscription (hopefully I will soon), or otherwise I would happily attempt to recreate this possible work around for use during multiplayer.

Again, I do not know if anyone else has attempted this method or any other that is similar for avoiding whole or partial world resets but I do hope to hear some constructive feedback on how this might be of use to the devs at TFP as well as fellow 7dtd survivors! Good luck survivors!

sTokedRecon

I've never read anyone attempting this. Good on you for thinking outside the box. I truly hope this works.

You should repost this in the md5 thread under known bugs for more views so others will test it

Ok I'll give that a go. Thankyou for responding, I was worried some people may take it as a troll attempt as it goes against a gamers natural instinct to "delete saves" which made me uncomfortable to begin with lol but I knew it was either give it a shot or wait for the disappointment to continue.

Ok I'll give that a go. Thankyou for responding, I was worried some people may take it as a troll attempt as it goes against a gamers natural instinct to "delete saves" which made me uncomfortable to begin with lol but I knew it was either give it a shot or wait for the disappointment to continue.

I almost missed your post because not many people inhabit this particular area. We'll all be waiting to see if this trick works

• 1 month later...

NO point in playing this game if you can't make any progress. how about instead of putting out more content, you all stop waisting time adding extra stuff to the game, and focouse of the BIGGEST PROBLEM.

I'm tierd of hearing "We are sorry this happend to you." No, your not. It's not just happening to me. It's happening to EVERYONE. "We are working on it." No you are not. It's been over a year. I bet if I went to check on your progress, you all would caught with your pants down. Crashes and base wipes are happening more frequintly than ever. So no. I don't think you guys are doing anything to fix it. What ever you are doing, is making it worce. The only thing that has changed is more content. More content=more problems. Fix THE MAIN ISSUE befor moving forward, or you won't have a fan base.

Whatever you guys have to say. I don't want to hear it. I'm tierd of your lies and excuses. I don't believe a word any of you say anymore. I have lost all faith in your teams ability. Not only in your ability to fix the problem, but in everything. I will never again buy a product with your name on it. That is how badly your team has failed.

NO point in playing this game if you can't make any progress. how about instead of putting out more content, you all stop waisting time adding extra stuff to the game, and focouse of the BIGGEST PROBLEM.

I'm tierd of hearing "We are sorry this happend to you." No, your not. It's not just happening to me. It's happening to EVERYONE. "We are working on it." No you are not. It's been over a year. I bet if I went to check on your progress, you all would caught with your pants down. Crashes and base wipes are happening more frequintly than ever. So no. I don't think you guys are doing anything to fix it. What ever you are doing, is making it worce. The only thing that has changed is more content. More content=more problems. Fix THE MAIN ISSUE befor moving forward, or you won't have a fan base.

Whatever you guys have to say. I don't want to hear it. I'm tierd of your lies and excuses. I don't believe a word any of you say anymore. I have lost all faith in your teams ability. Not only in your ability to fix the problem, but in everything. I will never again buy a product with your name on it. That is how badly your team has failed.

go tell it micro soft there company policy on save file sizes is a huge contributor to the MD5 on console , not kiddin please if all you Xbox guys could flame Microsoft about there silly save file limitation maybe something might get done oh and please participate in the bug reporting processes that Md5 will never go away if more people don't start reporting properly i see only maybe 5 to 9 % of the people who have had MD5 are reporting them in the proper manner , so just be ware if your flaming about the MD5 and i look at your post history and you have not a single proper bug report your are part of the problem your lack of patient and communication is directly linked to the extremely long time it takes to fix the many different md5 triggers , so yeah cry about how mad you are because your base got wiped cry about how many hours looting you lost thats fine (a little childish and pansy but fine ) but don't for one freaking second BLAME TFP IG or TT for not caring and or not trying to fix these md5 if your not even trying to help them , so you can pat your self on the back cause your part of the reason these ERRORs are still here , id report them if got them but sadly i don't........ wait not "sadly" but i don't so i can't help , but you guys that get them once week tell us what the heck your doin to trigger it so we can try and get this sorted out , stop yelling at the guys that can't change microsoft company policy go tell microsoft how upset you re that game doesn't work because of their file size limitations , and help find the trigger for the MD5 instead of leaving a flaming turd of a post

Maybe if they didn't make it so hard to find the way to make a "propper report" they would have a lot more reports. so why haven't they? why not make a direct link on the main menu for the players to file a report like most other games? Simple answer. They don't want reports, because they don't want to fix the game.

It's not Microsoft fault. The only one to blame is the team. Passing blame onto someone else do to there own failures just shows a lack of leadership. They need to take responsibility for there own inadequacies, and hire professional game testers. Instead of relying on players who don't know anything about programming or game design. I've played alpha and beta games before. Games with far better graphics, that were way more demanding on the system, with far less issues. including base wipe issues.

Fixing and searching for the problems is the teams responsibility, not the players and not Microsoft.

Maybe if they didn't make it so hard to find the way to make a "propper report" they would have a lot more reports. so why haven't they? why not make a direct link on the main menu for the players to file a report like most other games? Simple answer. They don't want reports, because they don't want to fix the game.

It's not Microsoft fault. The only one to blame is the team. Passing blame onto someone else do to there own failures just shows a lack of leadership. They need to take responsibility for there own inadequacies, and hire professional game testers. Instead of relying on players who don't know anything about programming or game design. I've played alpha and beta games before. Games with far better graphics, that were way more demanding on the system, with far less issues. including base wipe issues.

Fixing and searching for the problems is the teams responsibility, not the players and not Microsoft.

There is a link to the bug reports section on the main page of the forum. There is a sticky thread in the bug report section detailing how to make a bug report, including the format to use so that all the relevant information is included. It's easy enough to follow, but sadly people join up, rush in instead of checking the sticky and don't provide their details, then ignore the requests for more information - hard to fix the bug if they don't have all the facts. The more information they have, the faster things get fixed.

They don't expect players to be bug testers either, but just like any other game forum, if a player notices a bug it's good sense to report it. You don't need to know anything about programming or game design, just explain what is happening/should be happening but isn't. The team can then investigate and fixes are forthcoming. Of course, the MD5 is a major issue, mostly on Xbox, but they are working on it. This is why reporting is so important - report the bugs, reduce the crashes and there'll be less MD5s.

ok dude Microsoft has cut the teams legs off by Makeing the SAVE FILE so freaking TINY , in fact i can trace most of the MD5 Issue to micoCox policies on save game file sizes and not to mention the POOP RAM that the OG XB1 has the RAM is almost half the speed of the PS4

that also adds to the issue's on the XBOX in fact IF some how none of this was XBOX 's fualt and it was all the LAZY TEAMS fault . Why then does the game run like a DREAM on the Playstation? compared to the XBOX , Cause simple logic would dictate that if all this was the LAZY TEAMS fault the game would SUCK ON BOTH CONSOLES ..... or maybe the DEV team is a SONY FAN BOY .... NO your the only FAN BOY HERE coming to microsoft defense like they're your bullied younger brother . Lack of leadership is at Microsoft i have friends that work there , and they'll tell you it is a convoluted mess of miscommunication on the daily , i don't where you guys got in your head that MIcrosoft is some magical company that can do no wrong , but they are money grubbing bastard more than the fun pimp they are the one the sold you a game console that can barely handle the games marketed for it and make no changes to there company policies to help rectify the situation .

Edited by Jon Dillinger
HEMP (see edit history)

Jon, it is obvious from your posts that you are no fan of xbox and that is fine, but the fact remains that the xbox as it works now, is the same as it worked when 7 days was ported to it. To claim that this is somehow Microsoft's fault when it is the porting team that developed the game to work on the existing architecture and failed, that is rediculous. Sure, xbox has a crappy architecture but it had it when the game was developed, and the dev's knew what it was capable of. To claim it is Microsoft's fault and or responsibility is dishonest. If the game won't work right on xbox, don't port it, plain and simple.

By the same token, I am an xbox user, and though I have experienced numerous MD5 errors in the past year, they have dramatically reduced in number and the game seems more stable. Whether this is due to the updates or to the way I am playing now (completely shutting down every 1-1.5 hours and using the work around if I do have a crash.) I currently have more than 100 hours without a terrain rewrite and only a half dozen crashes all of which happened because I got lazy and didn't reset.

So, yes the problems we are experiencing on the xbox may well be due to the limited RAM, or limited save file or any one of a number of issues you point to, but that does not alleviate the problem, nor find a solution.

The tag the team uses to identify the terrain rewrite gives a hint of the cause. The MD5 algorithm is inherently flawed, especially when dealing with large amounts of data such as what we are dealing with here. There were other algorithms that could have been used that are capable of doing the same thing with less chance of collisions (if that is what we are dealing with). Add to that, every time I have restored from the cloud my file has been good, I tend to think this is not a Microsoft problem at all, but a MD5 algorith collision problem where invalid hashes are generated (duplicate hashes for more than one file or different hashes for two of the same file) I could be wrong, but then I am only guessing, as is everyone else.

This bug is, at best, very frustrating, and it is a 7dtd problem, not a Microsoft problem. After all, the game was ported to the console, the console wasn't built for the game.

I was not going to reply to anymore md5 threads as i keep on adding fuel to the fire even though it is far from my intention.

It may seem i am mining oilshale nonstop to fuel the infernos of game disscussion but this is not my wish.

I mainly wanted to say from what i have read when picking a checksum for data that is constantly updated performance is a number one factor md5 may not have any lone crypto value but its proberbilty of collision when used for a checksum is low.

Collision examples for this hash are carefully engineered but it is true that you can have 2 different data samples and calculate the same checksum.

A stronger hash will have more complex functions thus using more cycles and increasing latency.

If you have any info or references that shows that md5 is not usable as a integrity checksum then i would be interested in reading it.

The console hardware cannot be changed and its the same as the unbelievable inadaquate ram from last gen, developers will have to deal with that best they can.

MS and Sony have decided the spec for app data file size limit i am guessing they want a safe bandwidth limit of a gb being packed into there container format.

I suppose there is only so much performance that can be set a side to wrap each indvidual gamesave in the platforms encrypted container that has its own integrity checksum that encases the worlddata container.

If you look at time and bandwidth to encrypt a Gb of data using AES and compute a SHA for it you will see it takes a reasonable amount of resource and this needs to be a ongoing background process.

i know 7D2D doesnt use a GB at once but i guess that is what the platforms where designed for and kept within a safe limit.

I dont want to discourage anyone from trying to get support from the platforms but i think maybe a request to MS to be able to enable or disable auto uploads is a starting point but this is only a small help of a manual way of preventing corrupted data being uploaded.

I also think getting an official answer for app data file limit from the platforms will be difficult if not impossible.

Interesting sony doesnt have the limits with its own apps like cap gallery or share factory as it seems it doesnt use app data.

In the meantime the developers are reducing the margin and believe that they can reduce this further.

This is my first post and I am trying to post in the console forums so hopefully it ends up in the right place where it may be of some help to xbox users.

Perhaps someone else has already tested this or posted in regards to this possible work around but I have not seen a similar post yet. I have not been playing for nearly as long as some players here, (only since 6/28/2017) but just recently purchased the game for xbox1 digital download. I purchased the game fully aware of the MD5 error issues that seem to plague some very devoted players. My reason for purchasing a known buggy game was that it has tons of devoted supporters on PC as well as consoles and it has a great number of aspects that I was searching for in a game. I have quickly become quite addicted to the game and was also hit by the md5 error at 38 days in and also 41 days into my first play through. Although I have abandoned (maybe only temporarily) my first play through save, I do believe I have been able to avoid the md5 error on my second play through.

I read through quite a lot of requests from players asking for the ability to 'manually save' because they think the cloud saves are not working properly or becoming corrupted. So I thought... "Did anyone confirm that there was anything wrong with the cloud?".

Since starting my 2nd play through, any time at all that I ever encounter some sort of crash or other similar hiccough, BEFORE RE-LAUNCHING the game, I always go into 'my games and apps' for xbox, manage game, delete the local save from CONSOLE (not the reserved space or the save from everywhere else which would be the cloud), and resume to re-launch the game, then patiently wait for the console to re-sync with the cloud saves. So far at least in single player, I have not become a continuing victim of the MD5 error that so commonly wipes out large portions of player made bases or other 'chunks' from in game.

Please note that I do not currently have a Gold xbox Live subscription (hopefully I will soon), or otherwise I would happily attempt to recreate this possible work around for use during multiplayer.

Again, I do not know if anyone else has attempted this method or any other that is similar for avoiding whole or partial world resets but I do hope to hear some constructive feedback on how this might be of use to the devs at TFP as well as fellow 7dtd survivors! Good luck survivors!

sTokedRecon

i can 100% confirm this does not work for survival multiplayer on xbox one my game did a partial base reset after a crash, so i read this thread and decided to rebuild and after every crash i was deleting the local data and letting it re sync after start up. was fine for about 10 game days and it crashed and did it again. deleting the save did nothing i still came on to basically nothing of a base left

• 1 month later...

FYI... work around does not always work...

Cheers to you bro, your work around was better than anything the actually developers getting paid to fix the problem came up with... but I just got burned/wiped again on day 30/31. I had been burned by MD5 in a save file that I had dumped 60+hours into so I stopped playing. After hearing about this work around I thought I’d try again... game crashed several times in the 31 (in game) days I had played. Every time I immediately exited, deleted the local save data, and waited to resync upon relaunching the game and was excited to find that I wasn’t wiped/reset upon resyncing with the cloud.... but the last crash was one of those crashes where the menus go partially invisible for a few seconds then the crash happens... on that crash even after using the immediate local save file deletion method... I resync’d with the cloud and my entire base, 7 loaded chests, forge full of steel stone and clay and A tool & die set, calipers and (can’t think of the third piece but I had all three and they can all be hard/rare to find) had just found enough mechanical parts to make a work bench and had a full set of steel tools just made.... anyway... if you play and love this game you get where I’m going with this... it’s that moment just before the day 35 horde where you elevate to that next level of tools and building materials to really get a sick horde pit/base rolling and it was all gone... just like that... I agree with the other community member. Stop focusing on all this new content that doesn’t mean anything to anyone if the game wipes you out everytime you put 30+ hours of gameplay into it... I just can’t wrap my mind around why a set of even half way talented developers can’t troubleshoot such a major flaw in the way the core of this game operates.. its perfect in so many intangible ways... such a beautiful combination of game elements that you usually have to find in differential games all rolled into one... making it wonderfully addicting... hence why I gave it another shot. Sooner than later someone else is going to take this concept and a major game developer is going to do it right and everyone will forget that this is where it started... it’s a real shame.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this fix and it didn't work.

sTokedRecon

My brother and I love to play this game it is frustrating when the game resets. I hope that it can be fixed. if you need more feed back let me know.

• 1 month later...

it is clear you have no understanding of how game development works or in 7 Days case how content progresses onto the console version.

suffice it to say that corrupted saves happen in every game and that these corruptions happen for numerous reasons and are not limited to the developers skills or ability to produce a functioning game. even big companies like Bethesda and Activision have corruption in saves they are different however to a game like 7 Days.

it can also come down to individual console units and how the console saves progress, it can be the communication between servers on Microsoft's notoriously ♥♥♥♥ servers.

the Developers have no control over what Microsoft/Sony does with their company they can only at most submit error logs and details issues with suggestions on how to fix the problem.

im angry too, i have had MD5 happen at least 25 times if not more not only on single player but with friends too, i remember me and my 3 other friends spent nearly 2 weeks day in and day out working to make an epic castle base only for an MD5 to happen right as we finished. we essentials burned away 2 weeks of out lives sacrificing sleep and sanity to get it done and its just gone.

you need to think and research how a game specifically works and is developed before you go ripping into CS (Clare) and the devs who probably sacrifice way more time and effort than we ever do to create and fix a game for us to enjoy without charging us $50 for a DLC every 6 months like other games.

• 11 months later...

Just lost all my content, everything I bult and collected is gone. I tried the delete local and re download but still everything is gone. Is there any way my older game content could be loaded? How do I reach a human that works with the server?

I hate the fact that after a year of game play it crashes (like usual) but takes everything I built away! :(

• 8 months later...

I believe the console doesn't run the games off of the disc anyway, it's only used to transfer the data to your hard drive so that wouldn't work.

I have read that playing the game in 'offline mode' on the console should work because the game won't save to the cloud, and the md5 error occurs because of a clash between the local and cloud save this might be the solution?

• 4 months later...

If its not the fault of XBOX1 RAM or size of saves. Then maybe its a bad line of code from Iron Galaxy? Since two different systems of XBOX1 and PS4 and different operating systems. My guess some bad line of code slipped through for XBOX1 and once it hits its limit or bad line of code game crashes and deletes where ever you're standing at your base.

So far doing the going to games and apps and delete only the console save and not the cloud. My game hasn't been wiped yet. No deletions. But I had a black screen that crashed. Had to reload the game. Also getting this weird deal leaving my cabin I built in the desert. Where I hit the invisible wall then after a few seconds I get pulled back like lag or something.

Besides late draw-ins for bushes. Also had this weird thing happen driving my mini bike through the desert. Like I got stuck hanging like a big tile grid sunk downward. Hopping off the bike fixed it and the grid. But I bet i'm close to have MD5 bug soon. I think i'm at day 58. Also I try not to have to many things crafting at once either. Like smelting iron and what not in the forge while crafting other stuff at the work bench. I got this other server I use to have some friends play on.

That's at day 240 and we had MD5 bug 3 times. But I guess we were constantly crafting and building stuff besides I dug tons of tunnels all over navezgane. As for other's talking about it being XBOX fault for original XBOX1. Does anyone have to XBOX1X? Give that a try and see if you get MD5 bug yet. I'm sure the RAM for that system is way better then PS4 pro. Or we can hope this game is backward compatible for XBOX2 this Holiday season. My guess its a bad line of code.

• Roland pinned this topic