Draw Bridge Troubles

Datchem

My friend and I have this awesome base going and we spent weeks gathering supplies for a draw bridge.

Once we made it, we went to place it down and for some reason it placed in the opposite direction that was shown.

We had to destroy it because it was facing the wrong direction. Why did this happen?

Please don't make us go through the process of gathering the supplies again, it took WAY too long.

you need to pay close attention to the object is orientation. this applies to all objects. the drawbridge is a pain to position and place because of it's size. when placing it, the defaut position is with the base away from you. so to place it, you need to be standing axross your moat from your front gate.

as for the materials to built, those are easy to acquire if you know where to look. as i recall, you need wood, forged iron, springs, and mechanical parts. the first two should be no problem for you to get, and if you have the skill, neither will the last two since they can be made. however, if you don't have the skill, they can be harvested fairly easily. best source for mechanical parts is shopping carts and safes. and springs are easily acquired from the beds with the metal frames.

BUT, my wife and have been having an issue with zeds walking across our trench as if the drawbridge was open. this has happened several times and not even opening and closing it stops them. also, once they get across, they walk right through the closed bridge as if it wasn't even there. only the fact that there is a jail door just behind the bridge has saved her from being overrun.

Drawbridge placement is really tough to figure out. I would almost suggest just loading up a creative world and getting the placement figured out before trying it again on your survival game. I have done that at least 3 times to make sure I don't put it down wrong.

Also, it help me out once I realized the default position for the drawbridge is to mount to the face of something. Don’t try to place it on top of some blocks, place it on the face.

How does it take so long to get the supplies? I’ve placed a drawbridge in the wrong spot before, and then 1 glitched out on me.

It took no time at all to get what I needed for my 2nd and 3rd bridges.

How does it take so long to get the supplies? I’ve placed a drawbridge in the wrong spot before, and then 1 glitched out on me.

It took no time at all to get what I needed for my 2nd and 3rd bridges.

The mech parts can be a pain in the ... (without steel 3)

I didn’t think this was possible on console, maybe this post is in the wrong place? If not, if you guys could tell us how to go about crafting one I’d appreciate it (what perks and where to craft?) - I’ve never seen or found this in the crafting menus.

Steel perk level 3 and then the drawbridge can be found in the workbench menu.

Also remember that the drawbridge is 4 blocks wide. I tend to favor odd-numbered block placement, so if this is the case for you, just be aware if you want to place it center on your build.

need to keep the length in mind, too. 6m from base to leading edge and there can be nothing closer than 1m to the underside.

I don’t think this is right. The only thing unlocked in Steel 3 are mechanical parts.

For a drawbridge, you need the supplies and a workbench. The toughest supply to get are the mechanical parts. These are a vicious cycle, need the parts to make wrenches but you need wrenches to get the parts.

Unless it changed in the last patch, I have never unlocked Steel 3 but was able to make the drawbridge.

This is wrong - the only thing level 3 steel gives is the ability to make mechanical parts, which you need for the drawbridge. You can get the parts from various locations though (air-conditioning units, shopping carts, office chairs (the ones on castors), working stiff crates and the trader.

You should be able to find the reinforced drawbridge in the workbench menu.

Working Stiffs crates are a decent renewable source for Mechanical Parts, depending on what your loot refresh rate is set at. They don't always have them, but when they do, they tend to be in stacks within the teens at the least. Bear in mind that my Scavenging skill and Quality Joe perk are both maxed out, so I'm not entirely sure to what degree that plays into it.

I think you just need the Work Bench to make the Drawbridge. My Steel Smithing Perk is only level 1 and I have made a Drawbridge.

• 3 weeks later...

As for Mech Parts, three good places to stock up: A Bank. If you have a decent Pickaxe (iron) it has multiple mini safes to loot that yield between 2-3 Mech Parts for each safe. Second spot: Ostrich Hotel. It has multiple office chairs that yield between 1-2 Mech Parts. The Restaurant in the hotel also has multiple sinks where you could find additional wrenches as an added bonus. Third Spot: Shamway. Has multiple shopping carts outside and inside the store that should yield between 1-2 parts each.

• 1 year later...

BUT, my wife and have been having an issue with zeds walking across our trench as if the drawbridge was open. this has happened several times and not even opening and closing it stops them. also, once they get across, they walk right through the closed bridge as if it wasn't even there. only the fact that there is a jail door just behind the bridge has saved her from being overrun.

Hi I recently have been running into this same problem on PS4. I was wondering if anyone has solved it. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

has there been a fix to this yet?

There hasn’t been an update since for over a year or maybe a two (I don’t remember. My friend and I have made a couple bases with a trench and drawbridge and that issue hasn’t happened to us. So, maybe the issue was fixed?

The game probably renders the bridge still down there, or the previous blocks. Maybe try to place down blocks and break them to change it. Or, destroy that drawbridge and place a new one I suppose.

Like I stated.. I’ve never experienced this issue so my suggestions are just something I thought would help. Just know, the game (on console) isn’t planned to have an update for a while until the PC version goes well.

Archived