Telltale Games going out of business

Rdrake420

To be honest I have no clue how that all works. But TT is the publisher for the console version and IG is just used for porting. If TT is going out of business then most likely some company bought them out and would take over the rights and or different companies will buy this or that or something.

Maybe it was in the contract if something like this happens then TFP get back the rights or whatever and they then can manage it which I doubt they would considering they still not finished the PC version and that was one of the main reasons they sold the rights to start with because they wasn't a big enough group to finish making a game and dealing with console at the same time. Then they could sale the rights out again to someone else but that would be of course if it was in the contract for them to get the rights back or whatever. But I could be way off on how that works I'm not in this type of business so I have no clue.

This is from an update on Game informers website

"Update #2: Telltale has confirmed that they have reduced their staff from 250 employees to 25 to "fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners."

Confirmation of the further announced projects and their status will be announced in the coming weeks. CEO Peter Hawley blamed poor sales as the primary reason for closure in the following statement."

Hopefully IG can work something out with ttg

Currently, this is the official word....

"Today Telltale Games made the difficult decision to begin a majority studio closure following a year marked by insurmountable challenges. A majority of the company's employees were dismissed earlier this morning, with a small group of 25 employees staying on to fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners."

In the same statement, Telltale's CEO Pete Hawley said, "It's been an incredibly difficult year for Telltale as we worked to set the company on a new course. Unfortunately, we ran out of time trying to get there. We released some of our best content this year and received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, but ultimately, that did not translate to sales. With a heavy heart, we watch our friends leave today to spread our brand of storytelling across the games industry."

The company says it will "issue further comments regarding its product portfolio in the coming weeks".

Telltale is just a publisher. They don't actually make the games. Most likely the titles will be sold off to another publisher.

SylenThunder is right, please don't panic.

Sometimes publishers owns Intellectual Property and Copyrights of the games they publish, it seems it is not the case for TellTales with 7DTD.

So wait and see ... and smash a few zombies heads meanwhile !

PS : and the unofficial word : please read carefully, nothing official here)

https://www.brunerhouse.com/blog/2018/9/21/telltale-closure

I'm really interested in hearing how this is handled. Yes, they weren't deving the game directly, but they are responsible for its distribution and paying iron galaxy to port it. What makes me nervous is having to find another publisher, and one thats willing to work wth iron galaxy. Tricky stuff. fingers crossed this works out.

Worst case, you'll always have the client you have now. (Which completely sucks if you're on an X-Box. Sorry guys.)

A realistic point of view.

As for me, playing solo on original PS4, I have only very minor issues, so I enjoy the game.

My only problem in the game "in current state" is landmines, damn, why lock them impossible to pick up ???

Dying due to invisible and/or bullet resistant landmines is no fun.

(I gave up and currently play on an old pre-traders map so I have very few landmines to deal with).

Worst case, you'll always have the client you have now. (Which completely sucks if you're on an X-Box. Sorry guys.)

This could definitely be part of why the update has been taking so long. The real question now is if the game gets sold off how long is the content going to be held by the next company who wants to make money off it? Dlc I smell?

Saw a few tweets that give a little more insider information. Minecraft story mode and 7 days to die were the only things making money, the rest was investor money and the netflix deal which eventually dried up. Telltale's Batman tanked hard and was one of their worst commercial failures for TellTale, basically everything between the first season of The Walking Dead and Minecraft became a financial failure (which is surprising to hear considering how good "The Wolf Among Us" was).

it doesn't really matter. publishers shut down all the time. volition and thq did and there stuff is just being made by if i remember deep silver

But you also have those that have been in the dark collecting dust for a decade or more. So it goes both ways and all we can do is wait and see what happens. As far as we know the 25 people left could continue to keep things going. So until official word is passed all anyone can do right now is speculate.

Saw a few tweets that give a little more insider information. Minecraft story mode and 7 days to die were the only things making money, the rest was investor money and the netflix deal which eventually dried up. Telltale's Batman tanked hard and was one of their worst commercial failures for TellTale, basically everything between the first season of The Walking Dead and Minecraft became a financial failure (which is surprising to hear considering how good "The Wolf Among Us" was).

Who the hell are you?

:p

Thought you were living in a hippy commune somewhere deep, deep in California somewhere.....

Who the hell are you?

:p

Thought you were living in a hippy commune somewhere deep, deep in California somewhere.....

I can neither confirm nor deny my current location, and any strange smells emanating from the raptor bushes are merely my exotic cologne.

SylenThunder is right, please don't panic.

Sometimes publishers owns Intellectual Property and Copyrights of the games they publish, it seems it is not the case for TellTales with 7DTD.

So wait and see ... and smash a few zombies heads meanwhile !

PS : and the unofficial word : please read carefully, nothing official here)

https://www.brunerhouse.com/blog/2018/9/21/telltale-closure

THIS ppl need to tell the dif between publishers and developers

Archived