Multiplayer and ISP changes

Clare

Hi there,

So I've seen a few people on here mentioning that some players were able to get onto multiplayer after changing their ISP.

I was wondering if this happened to you, who you were with, who you changed to and what country you are in?

(or if you saw the original post, as I appear to have missed it, could you link me to it?)

Out of curiousity, if you are having Multiplayer issues, what ISP are you with?

Are many of you using BT HH5? or do you have multiple XBL accounts connecting to your internet?

Thanks,

Clare

I highly doubt it's the ISP, It could be a Nat type error as that has stopped me from being able to communicate with players before. Internet is internet the only things different is type e.g fiber optic, and the bandwidth provided for the subscription you have. You can change Nat type to open in the setting of your router by entering your IP adress in the address bar in browser, you may have to contact your ISP to get the needed settings. Upload speed is alot to do with it but if I can join a world where the host upload speed can be as low as 1.4mbs and stay in the game with no to very rare disconnects I think it's a permissions issue.

I highly doubt it's the ISP, It could be a Nat type error as that has stopped me from being able to communicate with players before. Internet is internet the only things different is type e.g fiber optic, and the bandwidth provided for the subscription you have. You can change Nat type to open in the setting of your router by entering your IP adress in the address bar in browser, you may have to contact your ISP to get the needed settings. Upload speed is alot to do with it but if I can join a world where the host upload speed can be as low as 1.4mbs and stay in the game with no to very rare disconnects I think it's a permissions issue.

The only relation to ISP could be in common hardware.

Brighthouse here in Central Florida commonly uses 2 modem/routers. An Arris or Motorola. For EVER the Arris failed with NAT, and the Motorola was great. As of August the docsis3 stuff started rolling out, and they changed the firmware of the Motorolas to be Arris. All of a sudden, their techs were having TONS of calls about disconnects, which were either due to UPnP in the Arris settings, or the firmware update hosed the Motorola for lack of a more technical term.

This firmware issue resulted in a lot of chatter, that would build up and cause the Motorola (now an Arris) to flush, and try to pick up where it left off. Basically a bunch of packets getting lost and not resent. Too much of that going on and you will have sync or connection issues with games like this.

For me and my friends here, since removing their router/modem combo and using only their modem with my router, I have had 100% less occurrences of the game crashing with the not connected error, but still chatting in XBox Live Party.

So, knowing what ISP you were on when you had issues, and what ISP you are on now without problems may give insight on any common hardware patterns, just maybe.

Sort of why I assume she listed the HH5 as it was known for a while as having NAT issues, and Ive seen people mention it in threads here as their router.

So I can totally see why they (TTG) would want to know more on this. At least they seem to still be actively interested in finding a resolution.

While this may be the case, we want to make sure we investigate all areas.

The minimum upload speed for 2 player is around 1mbs, up to 2mbs if you have 4 players. Open NAT types are best for hosts and clients, but clients may still be able to connect with Moderate and strict.

Clare

- - - Updated - - -

The only relation to ISP could be in common hardware.

Brighthouse here in Central Florida commonly uses 2 modem/routers. An Arris or Motorola. For EVER the Arris failed with NAT, and the Motorola was great. As of August the docsis3 stuff started rolling out, and they changed the firmware of the Motorolas to be Arris. All of a sudden, their techs were having TONS of calls about disconnects, which were either due to UPnP in the Arris settings, or the firmware update hosed the Motorola for lack of a more technical term.

This firmware issue resulted in a lot of chatter, that would build up and cause the Motorola (now an Arris) to flush, and try to pick up where it left off. Basically a bunch of packets getting lost and not resent. Too much of that going on and you will have sync or connection issues with games like this.

For me and my friends here, since removing their router/modem combo and using only their modem with my router, I have had 100% less occurrences of the game crashing with the not connected error, but still chatting in XBox Live Party.

So, knowing what ISP you were on when you had issues, and what ISP you are on now without problems may give insight on any common hardware patterns, just maybe.

Sort of why I assume she listed the HH5 as it was known for a while as having NAT issues, and Ive seen people mention it in threads here as their router.

So I can totally see why they (TTG) would want to know more on this. At least they seem to still be actively interested in finding a resolution.

Exactly this Platy, I am curious to see if there's a common thread out there among players hardware as a lot of players who set NAT to open etc, still have issues.

I was booted out of a muiltplayer game the other night and I was the only one in. NAT open.

But since I recently got my ps4 to play this game, my noobness is real. Maybe my settings are fudged, because I just got a Belkin repeater setup right next to the console.

My friends got me into Rocket League too, and multiplayer is slow there too, but not as much.

Slowly I'm learning that spending twice as much for a gaming pc would have saved me a ton of trouble.

I have not had problems but thought the info might come in handy for comparison.

I have TWC and 50/5 mbps.

I usually get around 35-45/2-3 on the test thing.

I am on PS4.

Only one console connects to internet.

My console is wired not wireless.

There is usually 3 phones connected to the wifi. Also a roku but it is only sometimes streaming.

Nat is Nat 2 but that is only because its through a router and not directly to the modem.

Can host perfectly fine though with it as far as any Ive ever hosted.

I am also with BT using the Home Hub 5 and unfortunately I am experiencing the same connection issues regarding multiplayer on 7D2D.

Network statistics (According to BT HH5)

Downstream: 53.65 Mbps

Upstream: 9.765 Mbps

Network statistics (according to the console)

Download: 43.21 Mbps

Upload: 9.00 Mbps

Packet loss: 0%

MTU: 1480

Latency: 151 ms

Wireless strength: 88%

Console: Xbox One (Only console connected to HH5) - Wireless

Nat Type: Open

Problems I am facing:

I can host games and invite my friends, however moments later they are kicked out of the game.

When I join any game, it will disconnect me after about 2 minutes of attempting to load into the game.

*Not sure if half of this information is helpful nor necessary but hope it helps.*

If you need anymore information, let me know. I would be more than happy to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Not too sure, all I know is its been impossible to play Multiplayer with any of my friends since....Sep?

Whenever patch 3 was or so, the one that mad everything super dark and the mining helmet look weird.

Ever since that patch, all 3 of my friends and myself cannot play.

Either get kicked after 3-8 min, or no one can open any containers/do anything after about 5 min (cant interact with other players or be seen, essentially they are not there)

Kind of gave up on the game to be honest, saw a post on reddit and thought maybe I would chime in, but not holding my breath.....been at least 4 or 5 months, I think most have moved on tbh. (everyone I know having this issue has stopped playing, except one friend who plays split screen)

This is for X box one

Not too sure, all I know is its been impossible to play Multiplayer with any of my friends since....Sep?

Whenever patch 3 was or so, the one that mad everything super dark and the mining helmet look weird.

Ever since that patch, all 3 of my friends and myself cannot play.

Either get kicked after 3-8 min, or no one can open any containers/do anything after about 5 min (cant interact with other players or be seen, essentially they are not there)

Kind of gave up on the game to be honest, saw a post on reddit and thought maybe I would chime in, but not holding my breath.....been at least 4 or 5 months, I think most have moved on tbh. (everyone I know having this issue has stopped playing, except one friend who plays split screen)

This is for X box one

My girlfriend has a BT hub and she to had gave up she doesnt enjoy playing solo we both bought it because of the multiplayer side of it :( its a joke it hasnt been sorted by now

• 3 months later...

NAT type

Hi,

Just a note to all you looking at possible problems for connection issues.

NAT type open.

I'm in New Zealand and the ISP's here typically will not allow a connection at all if your NAT open.

Well I tried to change mine to open just in case it was a problem that was causing a friend to not connect to my session.

Turns out I absolutely cannot even create an open NAT connection through my modem.

So this shouldn't be an option to fix any issue because if I can't change my NAT type in a typical domestic connection then there is probably alot of other internet users around the world that cannot either.

• 2 months later...

I use the only company offered in my county, the state i live in is weird af. Anyways the ISP is called "Armstrong." (also known as ZOOM) I have hit or misses on multi-player depending on the day. I have a Tech coming out today to look at my modem, and perhaps bring me a new one cause I have been having random drops. Will update to say whether or not a new modem from this company helps on multi-player or not.

====EDIT====

Company: Armstrong (Zoom Internet)

And yes my NAT type is always open,

and after running a speed test i'm averaging about

53 mb/ps downloadspeed

2 mb/ps upload

24ms ping

I can join a mutiplayer game and i can play my own online mutiplayer game but none of my friends can get in my online game at all. Its almost like my router doesn't allow me to act as a server for other players. I have spent hours changing settings on my router, opening ports, setting up a dmz for xbox, fixing a constant i.p for xbox, going hard wired with xbox, praying to xbox gods, singing xbox a lullaby, trying to be nice to xbox taking it out for meals and drinks and still no look lol so now i am changing my internet provider 👍

Since starting to play the game I've lived in 2 properties with 3 ISP's.

First was Sky, 50 download, 2 upload, 150 latency - no issues joining or hosting

Second (after moving) Vodafone home broadband, 70 download, 20 upload, 150 latency - could not join or host at all

Third and final is TalkTalk, 60 download, 18 upload, 25 latency.

While with Vodafone, I tried every possible thing I could find online to help with Xbox online gaming and nothing worked, I then had 2 different techs try everything they could do from their end and still nothing worked. Luckily I was able to get out of the 12month contract with Vodafone due to not being able to use the internet for what I specifically told them I wanted to use it for. Literally the day I swapped ISP's I was able to play again

Archived