Dedicated Servers or Increased Player Count on Console or Split Screen MP

SylenThunder

Ok, facts first.

1. The console hardware really cannot handle it. (It's barely capable of what the game requires right now.)

2. Setting up hosted servers are expensive. The dev's aren't big companies with loads of money to blow on starting up a server.

3. There are not currently known plans to expand the game to allow more players in a session.

4. Split-screen MP is also likely to be a pipedream. (Again, it's the hardware limitations here preventing it.)

5. Your next-gen PS4 Pro or XB1-X does nothing to help the game support more players.

Now, with that in mind, feel free to continue the discussion on the subject here. In the post below, I have compiled a list of the most recently started discussions. Future threads on the subject that are started elsewhere in the forum, are likely to be merged into this one. We don't need 100 discussions about the same topic, with a new one being started every few days. (A few exceptions like this one, will likely just be closed or removed.)

If I have any new information on the subject, I'll update this post. As it stands right now, you're lucky to have what you've got. Initially the game was not even intended to be multi-player.

Also, it should be noted that The Fun Pimps are NOT the developer of the console edition. It was ported by Iron Galaxy, and published by TellTale Games. TFP assists with console updates and fixes sometimes, but they are not the ones who made the console version.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

Dedicated/Multiplayer Discussions

Here is a short list of some of the discussions started over the past year. (NOTE: I omitted threads that were too short to be an actual discussion in an effort to shorten the list.)

[Console] Will we ever see more than 4 player support for console?

Started by GrandmasterFunk, 1 Week Ago

[Console] Dedicated Servers for PS4 ?

Started by DersonThePerson, 07-03-2016

[Console] Dedicaded server project ??

Started by Rastapog, 07-01-2017

Take a page from ark

Started by darth_dudley, 07-01-2017

Servers for console... Servers for console... Servers for console... Servers for ...

Started by Kraks77, 06-30-2017

multiplayer servers?

Started by that1guy, 06-10-2017

Rentable servers?

Started by ohsnapitsafish, 06-12-2017

Any discussion on player count increase in near future?

Started by Platypusmuerte, 06-16-2017

7D2D multiplayer

Started by KAROLEK12212, 05-11-2017

Any future support For Expanding Max Players Cap?

Started by XxUnkn0wnxX, 05-02-2017

Xbox One Dedicated Server

Started by Ikarskarn, 04-24-2017

Dedicated Servers & More Players! (Console)

Started by TGambino6, 03-16-2017

NOTE FROM CLAIRE IN THIS THREAD

Dedicaded multiplayer serveur project on console version ?

Started by Rastapog, 03-09-2017

Can we have more players?

Started by RedMenace, 02-05-2017

Dedicated server support for XB1/PS4

Started by DevilNuts, 01-30-2017

More players should be allowed to play at once.

Started by DaTalentedGamer, 01-21-2017

Split screen

Started by Unusualself, 01-21-2017

Update to 8 player co-op?

Started by Ghackt, 01-01-2017

Do you think Ps4 will ever host more people?

Started by CaptainBrunch, 10-24-2016

Dedicated Servers ?

Started by darkwarriors2014, 10-19-2016

We need dedicated servers

Started by Blue507406, 09-21-2016

Local multiplayer 4 screen?

Started by Shockreaver, 08-29-2016

Are there any talks about playing with more players than 4 on the multiplayer server?

Started by Bigwilly2587, 08-06-2016

This game needs Dedicated servers on consle versions

Started by St1505, 07-04-2016

Thumbs up Dedicated Servers for PS4 ?

Started by DersonThePerson, 07-03-2016

Why would you not have public servers

Started by Strydexter, 07-01-2016

Edited by SylenThunder
Added threads (see edit history)

I wonder if it would be possible at some point to "link" servers together similar to how Spigot does for Minecraft. Imagine joining a single server from the server list and it is a "hub world" where you can jump into multiple other servers via teleportation...such as one with PVP, one with PVE, etc. but everyone can chit-chat on the screen between the servers. Admins/Moderators able to handle multiple servers at one time. :-)

EDIT: Sorry, thought I was in the PC "multiplayer"...good luck.

LHammonds

Edited by LHammonds
Oops (see edit history)

Sylen i was wondering if it would be posible to make it so we could "share" a save. So the save was hosted by the player first online. Its hard to explain for me so i will give an example.

Me and a friend plays a save together, with me as the host. He would love to continue playing when i'm not on. If we could somehow share the save he could host the game when he was on first and when i was on first i could host the save. That way we both could play when we are on and not only when i am on.

Would that be technically posible at all?

More than 4 people playing online

I think we should be able to have at least 6 people in an online session because I have more than 4 friends and I can't play with all of them at once. I was wondering if there was any talk of increasing the amount of players who can join a session?

Sylen i was wondering if it would be posible to make it so we could "share" a save. So the save was hosted by the player first online. Its hard to explain for me so i will give an example.

Me and a friend plays a save together, with me as the host. He would love to continue playing when i'm not on. If we could somehow share the save he could host the game when he was on first and when i was on first i could host the save. That way we both could play when we are on and not only when i am on.

Would that be technically posible at all?

Technically possible, sure.

Will it ever happen, unlikely. This is mostly due to the way console work in general, rather than a lack of effort put into it.

This is why we need hosted servers you can rent.

I think we should be able to have at least 6 people in an online session because I have more than 4 friends and I can't play with all of them at once. I was wondering if there was any talk of increasing the amount of players who can join a session?

Not sure why you started a new thread. I can only think that you must not have done much looking around first. Moved it over here for you.

Feel free to take a look at the data I collected for you already that is at the top of this thread.

RAM on the consoles is borderline. Minimum recommended is 8GB, and that's what they have.

CPU is a real killer also. It doesn't even meet the minimum required specification.

I detail the specs quite a bit in this sticky post.

At the current state of the game, you would need about 12GB to get up to 6 players.

Once Unity is more developed/optimized for the consoles, it's possible you might see 6 players. It's still going to be difficult with a hard limit on the RAM though.

What's the cost of setting up dedicated servers? Is it something that could be crowd-funded?

I covered this in a couple of the earlier threads.

Say a dedicated server costs $10 a month to run. Now you'll have, at most, 8-player co-op. (This isn't Ark, Battlefield, COD, or GTA, this is a co-op survival game.) Say we have 500,000 players worldwide who want to use these dedicated servers. We'll call an average and divide that by 6 since not every server is going to be at the full capacity of 8 players, and 4 can be managed locally. That's 83,334 servers required. Now add 25% for expansion, and you have 104,167. We'll just round that up to 105k. So you need to host 105k servers at $10 a server, that comes out to 1,050,000.

So basically, at a minimum, the company is going to have to shell out a bit over a million dollars a month just for the hardware to give this to you.

That doesn't even count the cost of developing the back end, or making it so that your lackluster console hardware is capable of keeping track of 8 people without overheating/crashing.

And if you want to go throw the "well Ark can do X", go read this. Then go take a look at this. Give it a few for reality to set in.

This game wasn't even originally intended to be multi-player. (source)

The problem is that the consoles already struggle with 4 players.
Yah, but that's playing as a non-dedicated server.

A dedicated one wouldn't have to run a client or render anything.

How much the gain would be? No idea. I'm no hardware guy.

Theoretically, it wouldn't be much more difficult than running a dedi is for the PC.

But the caveat, is that you would have to go through MS and Sony. As someone stated earlier somewhere, good luck getting them to allow random guy to connect his private server to their network.

The costs I listed was low-balling it assuming the hardware is already in place to support it. The initial cost for the hardware would be extreme.

Assuming TTG/IG don't have a datacenter that can handle the load, you're looking at a big build. Facilities would be a few million to set up. We'll include the network in that just to make things easier. Add $8,000-12,000 per blade. Each blade would likely be capable of supporting 20 or 30 virtual game servers. Based on that, you're looking at about 5,000 blade servers. Then you'll need backup and redundancy systems so double that number. If you low-ball it, that's about 80,000,000. I'm sure you can get a discount buying in bulk. Or maybe just lease a datacenter.

Then, once it's all set up, who "owns" your little dedicated servers? Are they offered for free? Are the rented by players? How many players do you know that will repeatedly shell out $10-20 a month for a dedicated server? Planning and statistics will need to be done on all this before it's even considered.

I can already see the outcry when it is offered, and players are expected to pay for the ability to use it.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. Just outlining that it's not nearly as easy as so many of you guys asking for it think. And we get a new thread with a new person asking every few days. If I caught them fast enough, they'd just get merged into one massive thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Combo co-op online games

There are so many forums to read, so I apologize if this is a repeated question. My husband and I are military and love playing online co-op games with many of our friends and family. We have been playing the couch co-op together, and we love this game. I just don't understand why the online co-op feature isn't available. I like Rocket League, Minecraft has been ruined for me since I started playing this game, so I don't really like playing that anymore. We are begging and asking you to please... PLEASE make this game an online split screen co-op game! I happen to know about 7 couples who are looking for combo co-op games... so it would boost your sales! So how about contributing to family game time, and make it available for online split screen play!

• 1 month later...

morron shower thoughts

2. Setting up hosted servers are expensive. The dev's aren't big companies with loads of money to blow on starting up a server.

So i'm probably a morron but what is this?

https://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/7Days.php

I'm perfectly aware that it's not a FUN PIMP service nor TTG, but if it exists on PC, if it's legal, working and available why can't we have the same thing for console?

Even if there was some fees for the publisher and devs, couldn't that be balanced by the fees players will pay to have their own 24/7 servers? Plus it remove the problem of consoles' low hardware making it super hard to play with more than 4 players online?

And are Telltale Games gonna open their own support forum at some point? Cause I would be very happy to let them know my thoughts on their behavior regarding the console version.

Thank you for your time.

um.

Seems more like laziness. Its fine to not want to risk the money on console, but saying the consoles cant handle it is pretty asinine. Especially considering a game like Ark has this feature. Dedicated servers everywhere. I know this game is "big" and it has a lot of features, but Ark is bigger with many more complicated mechanics, runs fine on ps4.

So if the devs just dont want to do it because of financial reasons, great thats fine. Making excuses however, thats dumb.

Seems more like laziness. Its fine to not want to risk the money on console, but saying the consoles cant handle it is pretty asinine. Especially considering a game like Ark has this feature. Dedicated servers everywhere. I know this game is "big" and it has a lot of features, but Ark is bigger with many more complicated mechanics, runs fine on ps4.

So if the devs just dont want to do it because of financial reasons, great thats fine. Making excuses however, thats dumb.

Read this Sticky thread. Ark doesn't compare at all to 7DTD for hardware resource requirements when it comes to CPU and RAM. This is the reason most of your statement is completely invalid. I explain it in intricate detail in that sticky.

This is what most people don't understand at all. Games like Ark are mostly GPU-intensive. 7DTD hardly uses the GPU at all, because all the work with the 3D models is handled by the CPU and RAM.

I mean, which requires more processing? A static landscape where only the surface is drawn in flat textures, or a full 3D landscape where every 1 meter block from the bottom to the sky within the loaded chunk is calculated with full 3D texture support on each individual block?

It really doesn't take a genius to figure that out. The latter requires quite a bit more processing than the former.

ok if processing power is the issue why not, offload some of the workload with the players that are connected to your world? say 1 ps4 can only handle 4 connections with the limited Ram & CPU Power, if you wanted 6-8 players then why not allow for like Cluster processing power, like combining multiple machines to increase processing power.

I've seen something similar back when ps3 first came out. you could run this app and the more ps3's connected the more processing power the app had to solve complex equations.

in the end what I am trying to say, cant you somehow send whatever the host cpu needs to generate and calculate to the clients gaming machine and let it calculate it, then clients machine simply sends over the result to the host.

or to make the process smoother you could use a dedicated server, to help facilitate this connection, but the CPU processing power is all done via clients that are connected to the server.

I doubt you would need a lot of these servers if all the processing power is being done via the clients connected to such server.

we all know how crypto currency works, where you can combine multiple server farms over the internet for increased processing power to solve blocks.

I know this is a bit far fetched, and may or may not work with current gen gaming consoles, could be limitations to OS or current running gaming engines, but not necessary impossible. (OS Update? re-build game on an engine that could do this?)

Edited by XxUnkn0wnxX (see edit history)

ARK bleh !! ark is Height map 3d game , so it could run on your damn i phone , hell i have an old Texas instruments calculator that can run it. Ya'll don't seem to get it Voxel is REAL 3D (meaning there something under the surface), height map is holographic 3D(nothing under the surface) in fact on the other side of that building you can't get to, there is nothing ,behind that back drop texture of mountains in the distance is ....NOTHING , but in a voxel game every cubic inch of the game even empty space and all is calculate and open to alteration at any moment do you under stand how much freakin CPU time that must use , so please drop the "ARK has it" argument , ARK also has more griefing jerks , hell ARK has a whole freaking CLAN of GREIFERS that join servers in mass and take over , yeah no thank you , that and ark is GRIND grind grind nothing but grind not my thing

I covered this in a couple of the earlier threads.

"So that your Lackluster console hardware " as a mod for a "professional" game website this is a pretty pathetic and childish response. Way to talk down to the whole ps4 7d2d fanbase all because one person disagrees with you.So pathetic. Btw don't respond to this comment "pcmasterraceThunder". I really dont care about the degenerate childish remarks that come from you anymore. This site needs a new mod, this ones overheating/crashing. SAD.

"So that your Lackluster console hardware " as a mod for a "professional" game website this is a pretty pathetic and childish response. Way to talk down to the whole ps4 7d2d fanbase all because one person disagrees with you.So pathetic. Btw don't respond to this comment "pcmasterraceThunder". I really dont care about the degenerate childish remarks that come from you anymore. This site needs a new mod, this ones overheating/crashing. SAD.

To all you "PC Master Race" Idjits.

Q: Which system has better hardware, PC or Console?

A: Almost any PC system made in the past 7 years.

Oh wait a minute.....

Reality.....

What ever will I do.....

Seriously Jack (and I do take offense since my name is Jack), you really need to read that response again. I don't think he's talking down to us, he's just making very clear the harsh reality many of us don't want to accept.

The game is simply designed to run better on a system with at least double the hardware the consoles currently have. Because of this, we have issues on the console.

The only degenerate childish remark here is just about anyone that throws out PCMR as an argument. That only means that that person is a child who cannot accept reality. Sure, I've seen SylenThunder get a little bent sometimes, but it is usually with a pretty damn good reason. I would too if I had to put up with half of the idiots that post on forums these days.

ok if processing power is the issue why not, offload some of the workload with the players that are connected to your world? say 1 ps4 can only handle 4 connections with the limited Ram & CPU Power, if you wanted 6-8 players then why not allow for like Cluster processing power, like combining multiple machines to increase processing power.

I guess your major mistake about this issue is, that the list of points why console version is behind pc version, is that you reduce it to the question of why consoles don't have dedicated servers. That's simply wrong.

I don't know the reason why consoles don't have dedicated server but that SINGLE point that consoles only have limited hardware has nothing to do with dedicated servers. There are more differences between both versions. E.g the viewing distance is on consoles much lower than on PC and THIS is an issue of limited hardware ressources on a console.

There is no known reason why there is no dedicated for consoles, but you are right, a dedicated for consoles would fix some hardware limitations of consoles (at least for multiplayer), because then the server does it.

• 1 month later...

So is there a reason we can't do a server like in Ark? Where one console is running a copy of the game and no one is playing on it. It literally just tracks everything in the world and all processing is dedicated to that. In Ark the graphics are also more advanced and they still got that to work.

They also utilized a teathering system when the host played. This limited all rendered objects to an area the hardware could support.