[07/11] - Message from the Team - Progress update

Clare

Hi everyone,

Please see below for the latest Message from the Team regarding Patch 14 and the Unity 2017 upgrade!

Clare

---------------

Hi everyone,

We wanted to give you an update on how things are progressing with the upgrade to Unity 2017. We are still on track and currently working on ensuring the menus are behaving as they should with the new upgrade. After that we'll be moving onto getting the core single player game working on the new engine having already gotten a first bootable build with functional front-end UI.

We're eager to tackle the more persistent bugs in the game once the upgrade is complete, and excited to start to add some of the new features from A15 and A16 including new map locations for you to explore.

Thank you all once again for your continuing patience and support. We'll be in touch again soon with more details on the progress of the upgrade and Patch 14.

Until then, happy surviving!

The 7DTD Console Team

-------------

Hi everyone,

Please see below for the latest Message from the Team regarding Patch 14 and the Unity 2017 upgrade!

Clare

---------------

Hi everyone,

We wanted to give you an update on how things are progressing with the upgrade to Unity 2017. We are still on track and currently working on ensuring the menus are behaving as they should with the new upgrade. After that we'll be moving onto getting the core single player game working on the new engine having already gotten a first bootable build with functional front-end UI.

We're eager to tackle the more persistent bugs in the game once the upgrade is complete, and excited to start to add some of the new features from A15 and A16 including new map locations for you to explore.

Thank you all once again for your continuing patience and support. We'll be in touch again soon with more details on the progress of the upgrade and Patch 14.

The 7DTD Console Team

-------------

While it's great that we're being kept in the loop about the progress, it sounds like this is going to take a good few months to finish so we won't be getting the update for a while. While it's great to be getting the update and I'm thankful for it and can wait for it, I know others aren't the same though.

Sounds like great news, and happy for console players to finally play a16, but I still dont get why are they still a whole alpha behind?

1) They aren't a alpha behind, console doesn't have alpha. its finished components.

2) Why would you ask after the disaster we call A16, why they didn't port that broken mess over?

Hi everyone,

Clare

---------------

Hi everyone,

The 7DTD Console Team

-------------

Maybe we will finally be able to make custom characters :0

I wanna preempt this: remember back when we complained TFP wouldn't communicate with us? Well here ya go. They are. Guys, appreciate the fact that this game has devs that care about their community. I'm not trying to kiss up, btw. Just dislike entitled, unappreciative people that are sure to gripe about Clare's message.

Thank you Fun Pimps

Thanks for making this amazing game even better!!!

I've been a big fan of this game since the beginning and still keep going back to it.

There is no other game out there that does what this game can do.

Forget all the people who complain and whine, and remember the ones that see this game as the beautifull diamond that it is and that even keeps getting more polished by each update.

With A17 on pc this game will be the best voxel game ever made (if it's not already).

For me it already is the best game ever in general.

Thank you for making this game better and better.

I wanna preempt this: remember back when we complained TFP wouldn't communicate with us? Well here ya go. They are. Guys, appreciate the fact that this game has devs that care about their community. I'm not trying to kiss up, btw. Just dislike entitled, unappreciative people that are sure to gripe about Clare's message.

Thank you Fun Pimps

you seem to be confused, TFP are developing the PC version of the game, this is the console section.

Just asking, I see it says core single player, will there still be multiplayer with the update?

Aye, everything will need to go along with the engine upgrade, that's just one of the things on the list :)

I am happy to see things getting some love. People just dont understand that they dont have to do this.. Or they could charge us for the content.....

Games when i started gaming was 100% finished any type of update was co tent and you payed for it in the fourm of an exspantio. Most games however came 100% finished no updates we delt with the bugs. This. Bull♥♥♥♥ of kids( yes i am calling you all 5 to 35 kids) that act like they are the center of the world need to understand 1 thing. If you are unhappy with anything a game or a person. Just stop go away its simple.

Thank you the Dev team for the continued work you are doing. Dont mind all the kids that want everything spoon fed to them testerdayvwith no reguard the amount of work and time required.

Thanks for the update Claire.

For anyone not familiar with upgrading a game engine.... try to imagine this....

You've got your basic car you've been driving around. It's a standard sedan, and only holds 2 people comfortably, but you can squeeze two in the backseat. It's not very fast, and it gets about 18 miles to the gallon if you're careful. Something like a slightly rust mid-90's Neon.

Now, you take that car and swap out the engine. You design a new transmission to interface between the engine and the wheels from scratch, because one didn't exist for this setup previously. After you get that all done, you want to add some nicer features that are in other premium cars. Like a backup camera, bluetooth, and a digital dashboard. None of these components have ever worked together though. So you have to re-wire half of the car to make it all work. Testing the wiring setup as you go. Sometimes after adding a system, you realize that there is a problem with the previous wiring configuration you just made, and have to start all over from scratch.

Rinse and repeat that a few times before you can even get the engine running.

Now you have the engine running, but the gears aren't synced properly. You've got to do some running tests and re-configure the transmission to work efficiently with the car. While your're at it, you extend the vehicle a foot and give the back seat more legroom.

Now you've got the engine and trans working nicely, you program the computer to manage everything. This will require several road tests and dyno runs. Between each test is hours and hours of re-calibrating settings.

Then you realize the tires are ♥♥♥♥ for all this extra power you've got going on. Time to head to the tire shop and get a new pair of shoes.

All the added weight means your brakes aren't strong enough, so now you need a whole set of rotors, calipers, and pads that are bigger and more effective. You also need to fully convert the rear brakes from drums to rotors.

And now that's all set, it's back to the dyno machine and road tests.

Then there's bodywork to do, paint, more testing, and you have to get the car re-certified for road use.

A year later, it's your new daily driver. It doesn't have a whole lot more horsepower that before, but it's designed to use what it has more efficiently. It's faster, gets better gas mileage, and seats 4 with ease.

(Sorry if that gets you lost too. Racing and modding cars is my other hobby. It's easy for me to relate the two.)

Just asking, I see it says core single player, will there still be multiplayer with the update?

This is phased testing. I can imagine it goes something like...

Phase 1 - A game that actually boots on the new engine

Phase 2 - Ensure front end UI is functional (all the game setup options, etc, we see before we start a game)

Phase 3 - Ensure single player game runs correctly with all SP functionality

Phase 4 - Ensure local Co-Op game runs correctly...

Phase 5 - Ensure multiplayer game runs correctly...

you seem to be confused, TFP are developing the PC version of the game, this is the console section.

No sir, I'm not confused. Pretty sure TFP have a console team, in which Clare is a part of. They have to give iron galaxy and telltale the things to port over. So you're thinking about the guy making your burger, I'm talking about the ranchers.

I don't work for TFP, I work on behalf of TTG and IGS. The messages come the console team which consists of TTG and IGS, but as TTG are the publishers most of the messages are from them. IGS would be more involved when it comes to patch notes and message contents like that.

Edit: To clarify, TFP do pass completed things to the console team to port, and sometimes there is some collaboration, but it's almost like two umbrellas rather than one.

I don't work for TFP, I work on behalf of TTG and IGS. The messages come the console team which consists of TTG and IGS, but as TTG are the publishers most of the messages are from them. IGS would be more involved when it comes to patch notes and message contents like that.

Edit: To clarify, TFP do pass completed things to the console team to port, and sometimes there is some collaboration, but it's almost like two umbrellas rather than one.

Ooh.. food reference. TFP is like TGI Friday's, and TTG/IG is like Rallys. :triumphant:

Fair enough...I was kinda close...i think lol anyways I included this video madmole made a while back explaining the console update process. Hope it helps some of y'all

Sounds like great news, and happy for console players to finally play a16, but I still dont get why are they still a whole alpha behind?

The reason consoles are so far behind is mostly due to the limitations on hardware imposed by said consoles. Aside from that, it's all coding. Making Asset A work with String B while ensure you're not crashing Thread C can be difficult, especially when you're not able to use simple workarounds because of the Console OS. Patience is key here.

Archived