Telltale Update

The Fun Pimp

Many are speculating as to the future of 7 Days to Die on consoles and The Fun Pimps wanted to give the community an update. The news of Telltale’s demise and insolvency was both a saddening and shocking event. With no warning, we learned the news the same day as the gaming public.

Upon hearing the news, The Fun Pimps immediately terminated its license agreement with Telltale, which only allowed publishing rights on the console ports of the 7 Days to Die game. The termination also severed Telltale’s rights to any future updates or sequels of the 7 Days to Die franchise.

In the weeks following, we've been working in good faith with the remaining management at Telltale to regain control over the console versions and allow us to provide support and updates on those platforms. So far, these efforts have failed.

Like you, we are incredibly frustrated by what has happened. We are pursuing all options to regain our rights, including legal remedies. Despite the damage that Telltale’s actions have inflicted upon our company and upon our console community, we wanted to let you know that The Fun Pimps are supremely committed to our fans and will continue to support 7 Days to Die game on the PC, as well as continuing efforts to aid console players in the future.

The Fun Pimps will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Such a shame to learn that telltale are ♥♥♥♥ing TFP around! I think us console players have almost certainly seen the end to any possibility of an update any time soon, perhaps indefinitely? Having said that I'm not hating on anyone as ♥♥♥♥ happens and there are more important things to worry about than wether we get updates or not! 7dtd is and will always be my go to game whatever happens in the future, so thanks to all the guys and gals who toiled to create this wonderfully crazy game 😊

Thx for the update!

An Idea: If TFP Makes a new game of the almost updated patch and puts some new things in there? and call it for example 7 Days to die Console Edition 2 and finds a new publisher and sells the game as a new game ? or do Telltale own the trademark and the patch on Console? i know that you have like ass to mouth agreements in the States but no agreement is rock solid. some Loopholes must exist :)

Cheers!

Thank you for the update, we are heading to the same problem Dragon Fin Soup on PS3/PS4 experienced a few years ago.

Please tell me if I'm wrong on reading here :

(I may be wrong, and honestly I hope to).

...The Fun Pimps immediately terminated its license agreement with Telltale, which only allowed publishing rights on the console ports of the 7 Days to Die game. The termination also severed Telltale’s rights to any future updates or sequels of the 7 Days to Die franchise.

What I read here : TFP regain control of IP rights, that's a good news.

...to regain control over the console versions and allow us to provide support and updates on those platforms. So far, these efforts have failed.

What I read : Telltale is the one currently owning the actual console source code port (as TellTale seems to be the one who paid Iron Galaxy), and recovering this source code will not be easy.

In short if I read correctly : the IP rights poses no problem, the source code IS the problem.

So in the worst case (TellTales refuses to hand over the source code), the console version would need to be ported again from zero.

Thank you for the update, we are heading to the same problem Dragon Fin Soup on PS3/PS4 experienced a few years ago.

Please tell me if I'm wrong on reading here :

(I may be wrong, and honestly I hope to).

What I read here : TFP regain control of IP rights, that's a good news.

What I read : Telltale is the one currently owning the actual console source code port (as TellTale seems to be the one who paid Iron Galaxy), and recovering this source code will not be easy.

In short if I read correctly : the IP rights poses no problem, the source code IS the problem.

So in the worst case (TellTales refuses to hand over the source code), the console version would need to be ported again from zero.

Everything but the last part. The source code likely has a copyright. They cannot simply start the port over it as it would copy the protected works.

Likely, the issue 8s that as Telltale would be willing to provide the rights for the source code, for the right price. Seeing as Telltale is likely trying to avoid bankruptcy, I'd be willing to bet that their requested price is more than the Fun Pimps are willing/able to pay at this time.

You can quote me if you want but I'm speculating on the payment part.

Looks like the news is pretty grim for the console edition. I play the PC version but also own it on PS4. My 10 year old son and i play it on console together all the time. I have been following this since the news was released and waiting for the new update.

I just do not see this ending well for the console edition. My son keeps asking when the new update is coming. I broke the news to him after i read TFP update on it. After reading this update, in my gut i really think the consloe version is pretty much done. I hope i am wrong, but the news is not good.

Looks like the news is pretty grim for the console edition. I play the PC version but also own it on PS4. My 10 year old son and i play it on console together all the time. I have been following this since the news was released and waiting for the new update.

I just do not see this ending well for the console edition. My son keeps asking when the new update is coming. I broke the news to him after i read TFP update on it. After reading this update, in my gut i really think the consloe version is pretty much done. I hope i am wrong, but the news is not good.

It's iffy at best but it's not TFP's fault and it looks like they are trying everything they can to remedy it. Just going to have to be patient and wait and see.

I keep reading how "The Console Version is done" because Telltale went under but still control the rights to the game. As far as I can tell, my current version of the game seems to be pretty good. So, I have to deal with the crashes and the potential terrain rewrites, but from what I have seen over the past two years, Tell Tale's updates wouldn't have fixed them anyway. Those problems seem ingrained into the core of the game, and unless there's a major rewrite (hint hint) I believe those problem will remain. Any update Tell Tale had in the works was little more than window dressing. Neat window dressing at times, but just that.

If TFP is serious about the console version then find a real publisher interested in releasing a part two, where you add things like a story line, NPC's, real online multi-player capabilities, etc. And don't try and tell me the current consoles can't handle it because that's just plain rubbish. There are way to many games out there with more capabilities, better graphics and better optimization. The console may not be able to handle it as written, but then who says it can't be rewritten? The real question is, will there be a payoff in sales, and unless you really do something different, the history of this game on console makes that unlikely.

For now I'll just continue as is and not worry about those dang crows and feral hogs.

... And don't try and tell me the current consoles can't handle it because that's just plain rubbish. There are way to many games out there with more capabilities, better graphics and better optimization.

Name one other console game that has a fully destructible 3D world with SI calculation and a randomly generated map.

Just one.

to me its just sad that a game like this, which is unlike any other game most of us have played, with what seems to be a rather strong fanbase, is now going to be lost because a drowning TT ceo wants to drink as much blood as he can on his way out the door because of his own companies failings, and his empty pockets. ultimately this is hurting the titles they supported (i have a feeling its not just 7d2d). but it seems the timing is right. its time you guys listened to some of these comments for once (lol)^ and rebrand this game or something. id honestly buy it all over again (and it seems alot of fans would-so milk this cow) for twice as much and deal with constant glitches and a melting xbox simply to enjoy some of the new content that is now exclusive to op pcs. really-we dont mind. we understand the limitations. pushing the envelope and such and ya. sylen has been constantly keeping us aware :) i see weekly posts on him reminding the community of the insufficient xbox and broken saving methods. people are simply gunna complain dude its broken, and has little to no support. especially now.

this isnt a going away speech so try not to get triggered you mods :smile-new:,

but since i wont be back for a while i will say, in conclusion, that if you guys cant get this update out soon, consider not doing it. Finish that PC version were all jealous of, drop a REAL version on a later console...or an optimized rebrand on consoles today, miles away from telltales dying hands. something that we can call complete so you never have to deal with these issues and constant dramas again. and i hope that you guys make less bad decisions as a company.

big examples:

your communication methods:

just wow lol been here 2 years and you have no idea how far we have been strung along hahahaha. better to have stayed quiet, or keep people on a weekly update of info or something. anything in between makes people ragequit or troll. a message about an update from devs every 2 months to me is like..."wow i need to find a new game with more support." also these people on the forums who are in control but know very little or give constant vague answers prolly hurt your reoccuring fanbase lol. they have alot of info on why content isnt here, rather than info on how its all coming along, and even i have been told to go away and that noone cares. this gives the whole "train running with no conductor" feeling.

staff choices (obviously):

i know theres no way devs could have been able to tell that TT was gunna dissolve. hopefully in the future you guys can find something both affordable and effecient, because this has a really good concept-poorly excecuted lol. This entire time, i feel like i was lucky to have even heard of this game. i see it nowhere on any of the digital stores main pages. i never even saw the console hard copy once in stores (i go often and im in a densly populated area where it should be offered). it also CLEARLY released way too early for consoles, likely because you guys needed pocket money. all of this hurt the game. to this day, it should be considered early acess beta type stuff...and xbox has a section for stuff like this.

broken release:

been watching things for a while now, and i feel like this game has been a labor of love for you guys, that was rushed to aid its development and pay its devs, and prolly wouldnt have come this far for PC players if you guys had not leeched the console community with a broken game. but i say to that-cheers. sometimes you gotta break some eggs to make an omelet. and we all should be glad that it came this far. my best guess is the half life of this game on pc is quite limited as well now, due to that money source stopping. im guessing you guys will be mid update too lol, but will prolly get a few more updates at least while they justify a few paychecks. or they might put a fork in this game soon

and call it done before they collapse inwards. likely after an update or two. and for that i hope everyone is ok, and the minds that put this together remain intact.

good luck to all and i hope for the best and i hope you can still sell the game to your majority audience and hopefully rebrand or sequel your amazing content. despite all of negative opinions and constant issues with this game and EVEN WITH 1 UPDATE A YEAR AND FAILED PROMISES, i would still totally buy anything you guys release. this has been groundbreaking and we will all remember the first REAL voxel game :).

Honestly i feel bad for TFP they pretty much got stabbed in the back by TT. This isnt like ark where the company is making all of the versions. This is them contracting another company to port their game. Any communication issues fell on TT/ Iron Galaxy as well as the slow pace of updates. They have repeatedly said they are working on the issue of rights etc for the console version. Its not abandoned simply delayed due to unforseen circumstances. As a side note the persistent issue of md5 on consoles is more of issue with how xbox live deals with backup save data. Who in their right mind overwrites their backup with corrupted data? Then you can simply delete your consoles save data after a crash, and only the corrupted data on your console and then when you start it back up it downloads the most recent correct save data and no md5 ever again.

Archived