Need help creating radiation in wasteland + make hazmat gear work

xxx73

Hey

I like to make 10-15% of terrain in wasteland into blocks with radiation. This block should give some damage, not much, maybe 0,5 dmg each tick/second. And also drain stamina. Then hazmat gear could help reduce damage/stamina drain from radiation, and if good enough, remove the radiation effects completely.

Have anyone made something like this for A17, or maye know how it can be done? Please share your thoughts.

I tried using buffRadiation3, add that to a block, and let it replace a sub biome in wasteland. That work well, but I can't get health damage below 1 per second/tick, and I don't know how to tweak hazmat suite into reducing the radiation effects. There probably other ways to do this that work better.

Have fun :)

Here is what I did in more details.

First I made a copy of buffRadiation3 buff and created a new buff that do less damage than buffRadiation3.

<buff name="buffRadiation1" name_key="buffRadiation1Name" description_key="buffRadiation1Desc" tooltip_key="buffRadiation1Tooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_radiation" icon_color="130,0,0" icon_blink="true">

<damage_type value="radiation"/>

<stack_type value="ignore"/>

<duration value="5000"/>

<update_rate value="1"/>

<effect_group>

<passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_subtract" duration="0,1" value="1"/>

<passive_effect name="StaminaChangeOT" operation="base_subtract" duration="0,1" value="15"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="add" value="1"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="set" value="0">

<requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="Equals" value="2"/>

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="set" value="0"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="1" fade=".7" effect_name="Hot">

<requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="Equals" value="1"/>

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade=".7" effect_name="Hot">

<requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="RadiationSignal" operation="Equals" value="0"/>

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffRemove" action="ModifyScreenEffect" intensity="0" fade="1" effect_name="Hot"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="RemoveBuff" target="self" buff="buffRadiation1">

<requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="_biomeradiation" operation="LT" value="2.5"/>

</triggered_effect>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffStart" action="ModifyScreenEffect" effect_name="Radiation" intensity=".3" fade="1"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfDied" action="ModifyScreenEffect" effect_name="Radiation" intensity="0" fade="0"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffRemove" action="ModifyScreenEffect" effect_name="Radiation" intensity="0" fade="1"/>

</effect_group>

</buff>

Then I created a block just by making copy of forrest ground so it is visible for testing, and added the new radiation buff.

<block name="terrForestGroundrad">

<property name="Material" value="MforestGround"/>

<property name="Shape" value="Terrain"/>

<property name="Mesh" value="terrain"/>

<property name="Texture" value="195,570,570,570,570,570"/>

<property name="LPHardnessScale" value="2"/>

<property name="Map.Color" value="35,80,45"/>

<property name="ImposterExclude" value="true"/>

<property name="PlaceAltBlockValue" value="terrForestFromDirt,terrForestWGrass1"/>

<property class="RepairItems"> <property name="resourceClayLump" value="14"/> </property>

<property class="UpgradeBlock">

<property name="ToBlock" value="terrFertileFarmland"/>

<property name="Item" value="meleeToolHoeIron"/>

<property name="ItemCount" value="0"/>

<property name="UpgradeHitCount" value="4"/>

</property>

<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceClayLump" count="22" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>

<drop event="Destroy" name="resourceYuccaFibers" count="2"/>

<drop event="Fall" name="terrForestGround" count="1" prob="0.25" stick_chance="1"/>

<drop event="Fall" name="resourceClayLump" count="44" prob="0.187" stick_chance="0"/>

<property name="Group" value="Decor/Miscellaneous"/>

<property name="CanMobsSpawnOn" value="true"/>

<property name="EconomicValue" value="5"/>

<property name="EconomicBundleSize" value="1"/>

<property name="SellableToTrader" value="false"/>

<property name="FilterTags" value="fterrain"/>

<property name="SortOrder1" value="d0k0"/>

<property name="SortOrder2" value="0050"/>

<property name="DisplayType" value="blockTerrainFertile" />

<property name="BuffsWhenWalkedOn" value="buffRadiation1"/>

</block>

Then I replaced one sub biome top layer in wasteland with the new block.

<subbiome prob="0.1551"> <!-- Ore Sub Biome: leadOre -->

<layers>

<layer depth="3" blockname="terrForestGroundrad"> <resource blockname="terrOreGravelPlusLead" prob="0.071" rwgGenerationType="all"/> </layer>

<layer depth="2" blockname="terrDirt"> <resource blockname="terrOreGravelPlusLead" prob="0.321" rwgGenerationType="all"/> </layer>

<layer depth="1" blockname="terrStone"> <resource blockname="terrOreGravelPlusLead" prob="0.4130" rwgGenerationType="all"/> </layer>

<layer depth="*" blockname="terrStone"> <resource blockname="terrOreLead" prob="0.3100" rwgGenerationType="all"/> <resource blockname="terrOreGravelPlusLead" prob="0.4130" rwgGenerationType="all"/> </layer> <layer depth="1" blockname="terrStone"/> <layer depth="3" blockname="terrBedrock"/>

</layers>

</subbiome>

This work fine, but the damage is still to much.

How can I make it so I take less damage, maybe 0,5 dmg each tick?

And what can I do to make hazmat suit work?

<passive_effect name="HealthChangeOT" operation="base_subtract" duration="0,1" value="1"/>

<passive_effect name="StaminaChangeOT" operation="base_subtract" duration="0,1" value="15"/>

That's saying that for every 0 to 1 seconds the health will drop 1 and stamina will drop 15. That's the "money shot" so to speak. I brought up the different colors because you can have 3 rad zones... the "red" zone using Radiation3, use blue for radiation2, and green for radiation1... there's actually a few other things you can do but let's stick with those.

Once your world is generated, you can specify where to put your rad zones in the .png file for radiation in the worlds folder. Here is an example:

tmpradzone.png

...then, you just add a buffRadiation1 and a buffRadiation2 buff that does whatever you want. The game is hard coded to read radiation.png, and if it sees that color, it applies that buff.

At least, back in 17.1 days. (Thanks to Khaine and Alloc for insight into this)

And this is how I made the hazmat suit work...

<buff name="buffHazmatBoots" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatPants" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatShirt" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatGloves" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatMask" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatComplete" name_key="buffHazmatCompleteName" description_key="buffHazmatCompleteDesc" tooltip_key="buffHazmatCompleteTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_radiation" icon_color="0,153,0">
	<effect_group>
		<passive_effect name="BuffResistance" operation="base_add" value="1" tags="buffRadiationNew"/>
	</effect_group>
</buff>

buffRadiationNew is my new radiation buff just so the one at the edge of the map still works to warn the player to run away.

I also added this to buffStatusCheck on the player.

<!-- Hazmat Suit Checking -->
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="AddBuff" target="self" buff="buffHazmatComplete">
			<requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHazmatBoots"/>
			<requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHazmatPants"/>
			<requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHazmatShirt"/>
			<requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHazmatGloves"/>
			<requirement name="HasBuff" buff="buffHazmatMask"/>
		</triggered_effect>

There are two other colors you can use, green and blue, to which you can assign a new buff to.

Guppy, are the biome color codes as strict for the blue and green as they are for the native ones? Outside of that template someone uploaded here, I'm never able to get colors to stay consistent without that template. I resized that one template to do 4-16k maps.

xxx73 requested a giant 16k map from me for a server they built specifically for 16k. I mentioned a few conversations I had with you and a few other senior modders about the problems with 16 maps, but xxx73 feels confident the custom dedi and host they are using will handle the map and overhead.

While Im unsure how it will ultimately perform on a dedicated server, Im really excited about doing this map. I think worst case scenario, we will end up with an incredible SP map. xxx73 and I have been talking about some custom biomes in regards to the project, and its definitely something I would like to try on this really excellent map I made.

Is there any chance I could bother you for a cs6 template for the blue and green? I can find the link to the original if you dont recall it. If you could get me a 4k template for those, I would incorporate them directly into the current template, make versions in 4-16k, and will repost them to the forum for download for everyone else.

Im pretty sure this will be the trickiest part of doing custom biomes. Editing the rad gear and biomes details should not be too difficult im guessing.

That's saying that for every 0 to 1 seconds the health will drop 1 and stamina will drop 15. That's the "money shot" so to speak. I brought up the different colors because you can have 3 rad zones... the "red" zone using Radiation3, use blue for radiation2, and green for radiation1... there's actually a few other things you can do but let's stick with those.

Once your world is generated, you can specify where to put your rad zones in the .png file for radiation in the worlds folder. Here is an example:

tmpradzone.png

...then, you just add a buffRadiation1 and a buffRadiation2 buff that does whatever you want. The game is hard coded to read radiation.png, and if it sees that color, it applies that buff.

At least, back in 17.1 days. (Thanks to Khaine and Alloc for insight into this)

EDIT:

Sorry for not reading this before posting my first reply. You use the rad file for all custom biomes? That overwrites the terrain to custom terrain and buffs? I was under the impression I would just paint the blue and green into the biome.png

And this is how I made the hazmat suit work...

<buff name="buffHazmatBoots" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatPants" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatShirt" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatGloves" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatMask" hidden="true">
</buff>

<buff name="buffHazmatComplete" name_key="buffHazmatCompleteName" description_key="buffHazmatCompleteDesc" tooltip_key="buffHazmatCompleteTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_radiation" icon_color="0,153,0">
	<effect_group>
		<passive_effect name="BuffResistance" operation="base_add" value="1" tags="buffRadiationNew"/>
	</effect_group>
</buff>

This look interesting. But a little over my head. Can I just add this to buffs.xml? I was hoping I could copy from you but I did not find this in Darkness Falls.

buffRadiationNew is my new radiation buff just so the one at the edge of the map still works to warn the player to run away.

Do you have this buff, or is it just a copy of buffRadiation3?

I also added this to buffStatusCheck on the player.

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="AddBuff" target="self" buff="buffHazmatComplete">
		</triggered_effect>

Sorry for being a noob, but do I add this to entityclass?

This look interesting. But a little over my head. Can I just add this to buffs.xml? I was hoping I could copy from you but I did not find this in Darkness Falls.

Do you have this buff, or is it just a copy of buffRadiation3?

Sorry for being a noob, but do I add this to entityclass?

That's because it's not in DF 2.04. It's in the experimental build. ;)

buffRadiationNew is just a copy of the vanilla radiation buff that I use for my new biome.

The hazmat stuff needs to go in the buffs file, and this bit...

</triggered_effect>

Goes at the end of buffStatusCheck, also in the buffs file. Then you need to edit items so the various hazmat parts give the appropriate buf when equipped.

Goes at the end of buffStatusCheck, also in the buffs file. Then you need to edit items so the various hazmat parts give the appropriate buf when equipped.

After a little research I think this is the right way to add the buffs to hazmat cloth and armor.

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStart" action="AddBuff" target="self" buff="buffHazmatShirt"" "/>

But I get this error message when starting the game:

2019-04-20T18:19:41 60.897 ERR XML loader: Loading and parsing 'items.xml' failed

2019-04-20T18:19:41 60.898 EXC The requested value 'buffHazmatBoots' was not found.

ArgumentException: The requested value 'buffHazmatBoots' was not found.

I also get this when using:

<property name="Buff" value="buffHazmatShirt"/>

Im sorry but I have really no idea what Im doing here.

The radiation buff, making a block, and adding block to biome is not very hard, but to make the hazmat work is a problem.

Then again make the radiation buff do less than 1 dmg each tick/sec, and hazmat gear to reduce this damage gradually after how many pieces of hazmat gear I have, is beyond what I can do.

After a little research I think this is the right way to add the buffs to hazmat cloth and armor.

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStart" action="AddBuff" target="self" buff="buffHazmatShirt"" "/>

But I get this error message when starting the game:

I also get this when using:

<property name="Buff" value="buffHazmatShirt"/>

Im sorry but I have really no idea what Im doing here.

The radiation buff, making a block, and adding block to biome is not very hard, but to make the hazmat work is a problem.

Then again make the radiation buff do less than 1 dmg each tick/sec, and hazmat gear to reduce this damage gradually after how many pieces of hazmat gear I have, is beyond what I can do.

Keep up work man. Im clueless on this part too, but I will help if i can. If I understand what Guppy said correctly, we dont need need new biomes in order to make the wasteland radioactive, or any other place for that matter. Once I have the biomes set on the map how i like them, I can simply place the other rad zones underneath.

If you wanted to go even further, we could do 2 rad zones, a general one for the wasteland, and a 2nd stronger one which requires special or better hazmat gear.

I would go back and grab and install a copy of the Starvation Mod for 16.4 and look at their rad zones and gear. Its the one mod i personally used where they did a nice job with custom radation and zones, but i also didnt play too many overhauls. The codes will be different and not directly usable probably, but should give you look at biomes, rad zones and gear done well in the style you want.

Keep up work man. Im clueless on this part too, but I will help if i can. If I understand what Guppy said correctly, we dont need need new biomes in order to make the wasteland radioactive, or any other place for that matter. Once I have the biomes set on the map how i like them, I can simply place the other rad zones underneath.

If you wanted to go even further, we could do 2 rad zones, a general one for the wasteland, and a 2nd stronger one which requires special or better hazmat gear.

I would go back and grab and install a copy of the Starvation Mod for 16.4 and look at their rad zones and gear. Its the one mod i personally used where they did a nice job with custom radation and zones, but i also didnt play too many overhauls. The codes will be different and not directly usable probably, but should give you look at biomes, rad zones and gear done well in the style you want.

About radiation zones, I prefer one wasteland as border that work similar to the border in A17, deadly if walk to far.

Then I'm trying to make some radiation in parts of wasteland biome. That work good so far, but need hazmat gear to work.

Im afraid giving radiation to a whole biome will kill players spawning there, so not sure thats a good idea. But it would be cool to have a small radiation zone where special mining or loot can be found, and only complete hazmat suite will help, but not sure how to do this without killing players spawning there.

I will check out starvation later also.

About radiation zones, I prefer one wasteland as border that work similar to the border in A17, deadly if walk to far.

Then I'm trying to make some radiation in parts of wasteland biome. That work good so far, but need hazmat gear to work.

Im afraid giving radiation to a whole biome will kill players spawning there, so not sure thats a good idea. But it would be cool to have a small radiation zone where special mining or loot can be found, and only complete hazmat suite will help, but not sure how to do this without killing players spawning there.

I will check out starvation later also.

I would suggest maybe we pick a few places for the radiation levels to go up, perhaps around the nuke industrial areas, and then maybe 1 of your medium or large cities. I can throw a chain link fence and those hazzard signs up around the city perimeter, marking it as a disaster area.

One of the best MP campaigns I ever ran was in Starvation. Players found a large radiated city in the hills. The preparations they needed and the way they worked to clear and loot the city was really cool.

You mentioned special rad zone loot and mining. How about a Uranium Mine? Im sure I can modify the desert mine for this purpose, though it will take me a few days to maybe a week.

The 2 things I would change 2 from Starvations rad setup. 1 - No random radiation blocks scattered in non rad areas, just makes no sense to me. 2 - With Hazmat gear on, no helmet light. Its the 21st century, they make hazard suits with lights.

Is this available for download, and if not, would you be willing to share the files?

Sorry, got busy and forgot to check here.

The experimental version is on the launcher for anyone to download and poke at. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The 2 things I would change 2 from Starvations rad setup. 1 - No random radiation blocks scattered in non rad areas, just makes no sense to me. 2 - With Hazmat gear on, no helmet light. Its the 21st century, they make hazard suits with lights.

Its SUPER easy to make the head light mod be installable in the hazmat mask. :)

I saw it, Im going to add something like this to loot only found in wastland.

What do you think of a low-rent cheaper version that the players can make at upper levels? Make the ones only found in the wasteland much better quality and and better protection and/or other bonuses, such as head lamp, or if you wanted to get super crazy a cam or something similar. Either way it should be a difficult skill or dangerous mission to acquire.

What do you think of a low-rent cheaper version that the players can make at upper levels? Make the ones only found in the wasteland much better quality and and better protection and/or other bonuses, such as head lamp, or if you wanted to get super crazy a cam or something similar. Either way it should be a difficult skill or dangerous mission to acquire.

Cool idea :)

Archived