Not quite the typical request

Madakushka

I am curious, for my own growth, how some of the creators of the modlets learned their craft. I feel like I might not be the only one in this boat and am attempting to bring some brilliant minds together.

Apologies if this is the incorrect section however I wasn't sure where something like this would fit.

1) First modlet you were proud of?

2) How did you learn Unity, Blender, XML, etc... ?

3) Any resources that could assist in teaching items in #2.

4) Commonly asked questions from the forum that you would like to put in here for a more indexed search?

5) Anything... No seriously if you have anything else please share!

I'd like to wrap this up by saying thank you TFP and thank you to those who create the modlets we are all enjoying! :grouphug:

Thanks,

Madakushka

1. Hard to say. I worked on True Survival with Spider, then Starvation, and finally made my own modlets. Its all a blur now but I think the Salvaged Bats mod, Video players and the CCTV modlets were the most useful.

2. I needed to make things in Unity once Starvation lost Pacco who was doing amazing things in Unity for Starvation. Basically I just loaded Unity and watched a few videos until the UI made sense. After that it was just hundreds of hours figuring out how to usse it to moddify this game. I made a bunch of videos based on this learning process in hopes it would reduce the learning curve for new modders. I learned the basics of XML from Spider during the true Survival days, and Xpath from Sphereii. Both are masters of those skills.

3. As mentioned above, I made lots of videos to help.

4. N/A

5. Modding this game is very easy, so don't hesitate. Download a few simple xml modlets and edit those with a simple change and see what results. Almost every modder for this game is willing to let you use their modlets as long as you give credit. Once you understand how to edit something simple, like a wood block, load up Unity and watch the video on importing a block. Then make your own new block in Unity and get it into the game. Once you can do that, you have built a solid foundation for modding this game.

1. Hard to say. I worked on True Survival with Spider, then Starvation, and finally made my own modlets. Its all a blur now but I think the Salvaged Bats mod, Video players and the CCTV modlets were the most useful.

2. I needed to make things in Unity once Starvation lost Pacco who was doing amazing things in Unity for Starvation. Basically I just loaded Unity and watched a few videos until the UI made sense. After that it was just hundreds of hours figuring out how to usse it to moddify this game. I made a bunch of videos based on this learning process in hopes it would reduce the learning curve for new modders. I learned the basics of XML from Spider during the true Survival days, and Xpath from Sphereii. Both are masters of those skills.

3. As mentioned above, I made lots of videos to help.

4. N/A

5. Modding this game is very easy, so don't hesitate. Download a few simple xml modlets and edit those with a simple change and see what results. Almost every modder for this game is willing to let you use their modlets as long as you give credit. Once you understand how to edit something simple, like a wood block, load up Unity and watch the video on importing a block. Then make your own new block in Unity and get it into the game. Once you can do that, you have built a solid foundation for modding this game.

Awesome! Thank you! I already have a couple of yours installed and you have helped so much already. Truly appreciated. Time to double down on Unity and xpath it seems so great reference points for me to look into on those fronts!

thats too much compromise for me to answer as requested lol

but basically I started with a few skills (graphics) then got hooked into it, the best you can do is get surrounded with other modders, when i started i offered manux some help to paint a couple of his vehicles, then i got interested and just learned blender to be able to have more control on what we were doing, then just by been around this weird guys you kind of go picking up things, most modders are happy to share knowlage, xyth, sphereii, dust, gup, chaos and so many others have shared so much info and tips with me and thats how i learned some stuff.

there is a lot of tutorials online, just pick what you like to learn and go for it, a year ago i had no knowlage at all of 3d software, and i still suck at xml but yeah i mean we kind of team up with modders with different skills and thats how you learn.

ah yeah and by far my fav work is something probably noone noticed on xyths npc's, just a small detail but more complex that what it looks like and its when i changed a few of the zombies back into alive people. (may not be my best work but is my fav lol)

Archived