Help making 3D printable 7DTD zombies/players

BlueCray

Hello,

I'm new to modding, and I wonder if someone here could help me. I'm making a physical model of a 7DTD scene, like a diorama. I'm making it as a gift for a 7DTD YT content creator.

While I found some generic zombies on Amazon, it would be very cool and really push my project to the next level if I could 3D print actual zombies from the game, along with a player model. From looking around on Thingiverse and reading here, I see that it is possible to extract a character/zomie model from the game in a format that can be 3D printed. For example, I found a number of Dark Souls characters on thingiverse.

To be clear, this is for a hobby gift and I would never sell, distribute, or profit from this, it is merely a project for fun.

I see a bunch of stuff about how to get models into the game, but I'm too unfamiliar with modding (as in, not at all) to determine how to get one out.

Is there anyone here who would be willing to help me create 3D printable models of the zombies, or show me how to do it myself? I realize it's a big ask, but it would really make me and the recipient happy. I could perhaps "pay" for it by posting a build thread here so people can see that I made and enjoy it.

If you can help, or can point me to somene who can, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks for reading this far, and thanks in advance if you can help me out.

Sincerely, BlueCray

This is interesting, and I know 0 about 3D printing or Unity .... but I'll butt in anyway as I woul love to know of a way to have a mini spider zombie on my desk :)

I found this info on the web in a few places. Nothing seemed too authoritative though,

Me summarizing what was said: "The problem with converting a Unity model to a 3D print is most Unity models are not solid. They need to be converted into Solid objects"

Me summarizing what was said: "If you want to print a 3D model (from a game) make really sure that the object is solid (no holes)"

Me summarizing what was said: "Make sure your object is solid, otherwise the object may be printed too thin, have no structure, etc."

Quote I found:

"Export from unity to FBX"

Import the Unity3D FBX Model into Fusion 360.

Convert Mesh to BRep.

Save as STL.

Happy 3D Printing!

"

So: I think you can export the model (maybe even as the FBX format mentioned above, or convert it to FBX after exporting ) BUT I believe it will not be a "solid" object. My guess is that in Unity you'd need to make the conversion/modification of the existing game objects into "solid" before exporting.

This is interesting, and I know 0 about 3D printing or Unity .... but I'll butt in anyway as I woul love to know of a way to have a mini spider zombie on my desk :)

I found this info on the web in a few places. Nothing seemed too authoritative though,

Me summarizing what was said: "The problem with converting a Unity model to a 3D print is most Unity models are not solid. They need to be converted into Solid objects"

Me summarizing what was said: "If you want to print a 3D model (from a game) make really sure that the object is solid (no holes)"

Me summarizing what was said: "Make sure your object is solid, otherwise the object may be printed too thin, have no structure, etc."

Quote I found:

Convert Mesh to BRep.

Save as STL.

Happy 3D Printing!

"

So: I think you can export the model (maybe even as the FBX format mentioned above, or convert it to FBX after exporting ) BUT I believe it will not be a "solid" object. My guess is that in Unity you'd need to make the conversion/modification of the existing game objects into "solid" before exporting.

I doubt somewhat that unity has such a function, but maybe someone else has better info.

But CAD programs like Fusion 360 definitely can do that. google for "how to convert surface model into solid object fusion 360" and you'll find infos for fusion, or substitute fusion with your favourite CAD.

I've zero clue how to print to a 3D printer, but the 3d models can be extracted using UABE or some other unity asset extractors. The question is, what format does a printer need to print from?

Guppycur, 1st, thanks for your mods, I've used some and they are great!

To 3d print, I need a .obj or .stl format file. See further responses below-

And thanks!

Quote I found:

Convert Mesh to BRep.

Save as STL.

Happy 3D Printing!

"

This is very interesting and helpful, thank you!

I found some stuff very similar to what you detail above, so that is great- I'm getting an idea of the workflow.

The "solid" issue is that the model, as you say, must not have holes. In the 3d printing workd, we call a solid object with no holes "manifold". There are some automatic tools to help with that, and as mentioned, the model can be repaired in F360 or Blender if needed.

I doubt somewhat that unity has such a function, but maybe someone else has better info.

But CAD programs like Fusion 360 definitely can do that. google for "how to convert surface model into solid object fusion 360" and you'll find infos for fusion, or substitute fusion with your favourite CAD.

This is very helpful, thanks for the lead. I've been pointed to Blender and F360, which I have used a little bit.

I would be happy to 3d print them if someone could export them to a simple polys obj. I can take it from there

Thank you, I'm fortunate to have an SLA printer at my disposal. LIke you, all I need is the .obj or .stl file.

Thank all you guys for your assistance with this, I really appreciate it.

I got very lucky, and it turns out that someone on the 7DTD group I hang out in is a modder, and has harvested the very models I was looking for! He gave me the fbx files for most of the zombies, so that's a great leap forward.

The guy even made me quick tutorial on how to pose the figures in Blender- haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it seems doable. From there, I believe I can export .stl and at that point, I'm home free.

There is one other thing I could use help with- When I asked if you could export a player-character model with certain equipment, he was less sure how to do that. Would any of you guys have advice about that?

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks again for the responses and the help, Fellas!

You'd have to attach them in unity and re export.

Thank you, Gup- I will mention that to my guy and see if that makes sense to him. If not, I'll be back. . .

I do have one other question: When I import the file into Blender, I don't get the "operator presets" window that allows me to activate the armature options. . . Does anyone know how to access that?

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived