'Clean' Reflex sight (Red Dot)

Xane Tempest

I like the reflex sight for what I think of as 'short range' confrontations (IE, just within draw distance I suppose) but on the 7 day horde I find that they become unusable! The red storm seems to make the sight almost opaque and it's really difficult to spend a whole in-game night squinting at your screen trying to figure if that's an incomming zombie or a bit of the scenery moving in the wind... IE: Can anyone here spot the zombies I'm looking at? There are two.

20200201000654_1.thumb.jpg.8435fc7d89c0c003b15ef5306d160b4a.jpg

Can anyone tell me how I would go about altering the texture for the reflex sight to try and make it a bit clearer to see? After all, if I just made this thing from scratch, I'd consider that model a write-off and start again. (in terms of building craftsmanship. No complaint regarding 3D detail and the awesome folks who did the modelling for this thing).

Please be aware that I'm a 'level zero' modder for 7 days and know nothing about XML in general, but I'm willing to learn.

Start by grabbing Asset Studio and extracting your resource.assets file. You don't have to extract everything, but I prefer to so that way I have it if I need it.

The reflex sight is called scope_laser_reflexPrefab. You could extract it, edit the textures to your liking, and make a small modlet out of it to either replace the vanilla one, or add it in as a new one. I *think* it would be possible to repack the assets file with your new texture, but a modlet would be much easier to maintain through updates.

Thank you for the heads up and how to start... Err... Which 'asset studio' do you mean? I found about six and have no idea which to start trying to figure out. (Android asset studio, retro game asset studio, some 'asset studio' about streamlining workflows, art asset studio, Asset Studio from InteliJ IDEA and another from ASSIST... How many of these things are there?)

The rest makes sense, I just need a bit more direction to start.

https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio/releases

The newest one there should work. Like I said, you can either go ahead and extract the whole file, which will take a little while, or just find the specific items you want.

You'll also need Unity if you want to make a small modlet out of this. Plenty of tutorials around here to help with that side of it. Would be a fairly simple project to learn from.

Well, I have AssetStudio and I am extracting the resource.assets file... But I must be extracting the wrong one, or not looking in the right place since I can't find anything that has 'reflex' 'scope' or matches scope_laser_reflexPrefab. Must have the wrong file. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the direction and the tips.

• 2 months later...

Extract the Items file in ..\7 Days To Die\Data\Bundles\Other. The textures and obj file are called scope_reflex now. They changed some stuff around recently I guess. Easiest way in Asset Studio is select Asset List at the top instead of Scene Hierarchy, as the hierarchy view uses prefab names. Then search for scope_reflex. Should give the obj and the 5 textures maps. Just select them and go to Model>Export Selected Objects to export them.

Hope this helps. :)

i extracted it and found possibly the problem, it seems like its not the texture's fault but theres a bit in the code that seems to add fog and noise to the reflex sight, however i have no clue how to edit this .dat file let alone re-compile it to be loaded by the game

Archived