Can AI be modded?

Tahaan

Is AI somethign that can be modded? Eg could one create an "alternate AI" mod that changes how the Zombies do their path finding?

If yes, what would be involved?

Could this be the challenge I need to learn LUA?

Yes, that is what SphereII is doing for his Core, and I use in the NPC mod. Need to use C# though to code this game.

There's also the XML property that has something to do with weight. Memory sucks so no clue. Basically copy/paste an entity, change the name and edit some stuff.

Yeah, i also thought that there are many parameters, but they almost all do not work if it comes to practice.

For example "AIPathCostScale","JumpMaxDistance" - this is a dummy.

... I was hoping that something could be tuned.

Yeah, i also thought that there are many parameters, but they almost all do not work if it comes to practice.

For example "AIPathCostScale","JumpMaxDistance" - this is a dummy.

... I was hoping that something could be tuned.

AIPathCostScale is a strange beast. There's one check to see if it's less than 99. if it's not, it does something different. The end result is usually not noticeable.

The C# thing is a pita.

What I am imagining is a Mod that changes the behaviour of AI enemies.

Firstly there would be smarter Zombies that choose one of several ways of getting to you

- Most direct route,

- get to your height first

- go for weaker blocks

- go for where they last saw you, then try to find you

- go after sound

- go after smell

- start a methodical search to find a path

- Choose a direction to come from!!

- criss/cross (Semi-random searching)

- zig-zag (variant of criss/cross semi-random searching)

The bulk of the Zombies pick one of the "dumber" ways.

- Stand stupidly waiting (with a time-out after which they start to follow one of the smarter Zombies)

- Follow another Zombie that is doing one of the above

The idea is that most (?) of the zombies pick the last of two. The intention is that the zombies "clump" into small sub-hordes that attack your base from many different angles. I don't want them all to go for the killing corridor just because that is the cheapest path.

For bonus points when they rage or when they stand stupidly, the animation should fit that. Eg standing while trying to see if it can hear you, or smell you. Not just standing looking like the AI is broken.

Archived