Some small modding questions

Sykriss

Hey guys, I just have a few questions for anyone who might have an answer. Firstly, is there any way to get reload sounds working for holdType 71 (the tactical AR one)? Secondly, why do any sounds I bring into the game seem significantly quieter than vanilla ones? For example, I have some gun sounds I brought into the game. They are significantly quieter than the vanilla firing sounds, even though in Audacity I amplified them to nearly the point of clipping. They sound loud when I test them in Unity, but in-game, they are noticeably quieter than they should be. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

For your "sounds not being loud" question: I don't know the answer, but maybe I can help with some info of my experiences

- What is the file format you're using? I've had success (with the sound levels sounding correct) using .wav files

- What method are you using to put them into Unity and export them? I wrote up a big post here describing the 2 methods I have heard of: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...to-game/page3=

Some other ideas:

- I have extracted sounds from the game (.wav extensions, using the UABE tool), made changes to them, and used method #1 to (in the link above) to produce a .unity3d file that sounded, volume wise, just like the native game sounds. I believe (but I have not done this myself) that in Unity you can "move the sound around" from the player, making it more distant or closer. Maybe you have inadvertently placed the sounds to be farther away from the players "ear"?

- I use Audacity as well to manipulate the .wav files I'm using. None of my sounds are stereo, only mono. Just for your info.

- Unity has some options to handle the imported sounds. For my imported ones I left every setting alone so they were all defaults. Maybe there's a setting you changed that is causing the issue?

If nothing else I can confirm that if you export a sound from the game, run it through Unity, and add it back via a modlet, it has (should have) the same volume :). Maybe you could try doing that just to validate that your Unity settings/methods are not the issue, which would point to it being something with your sound files,

- This may be just my ear (I am not an audio engineer or expert!), but it seems a lot of the built in sounds in the game have a lot of "dynamic range" meaning "a lot of low and high frequency sound in each sound file". I noticed this when trying to make new screamer zombie sounds. She has a lot of "high frequency" (which makes sense). When I tried making new sounds from her, they all sounded very muddy/quieter as I was stretching out the audio, changing the pitch, etc (which makes sense). I'm wondering if your sounds don't have a wide range, or maybe, the game does some sort of processing to amplify/enhance high/low frequencies. Just a wild guess on my part. I'm still learning :)

For your "sounds not being loud" question: I don't know the answer, but maybe I can help with some info of my experiences

- What is the file format you're using? I've had success (with the sound levels sounding correct) using .wav files

- What method are you using to put them into Unity and export them? I wrote up a big post here describing the 2 methods I have heard of: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...to-game/page3=

Some other ideas:

- I have extracted sounds from the game (.wav extensions, using the UABE tool), made changes to them, and used method #1 to (in the link above) to produce a .unity3d file that sounded, volume wise, just like the native game sounds. I believe (but I have not done this myself) that in Unity you can "move the sound around" from the player, making it more distant or closer. Maybe you have inadvertently placed the sounds to be farther away from the players "ear"?

- I use Audacity as well to manipulate the .wav files I'm using. None of my sounds are stereo, only mono. Just for your info.

- Unity has some options to handle the imported sounds. For my imported ones I left every setting alone so they were all defaults. Maybe there's a setting you changed that is causing the issue?

If nothing else I can confirm that if you export a sound from the game, run it through Unity, and add it back via a modlet, it has (should have) the same volume :). Maybe you could try doing that just to validate that your Unity settings/methods are not the issue, which would point to it being something with your sound files,

- This may be just my ear (I am not an audio engineer or expert!), but it seems a lot of the built in sounds in the game have a lot of "dynamic range" meaning "a lot of low and high frequency sound in each sound file". I noticed this when trying to make new screamer zombie sounds. She has a lot of "high frequency" (which makes sense). When I tried making new sounds from her, they all sounded very muddy/quieter as I was stretching out the audio, changing the pitch, etc (which makes sense). I'm wondering if your sounds don't have a wide range, or maybe, the game does some sort of processing to amplify/enhance high/low frequencies. Just a wild guess on my part. I'm still learning :)

I am using .wav as well, all mono. The method I've been using is simply to import them into my unity project (generally by just dragging the sound file into my project asset folder), then from there I simply right click the imported asset and export it as a bundle, making zero changes to any of the Unity settings. The bundle has to point to an AudioClip, not a GameObject, so there's no way I could manipulate the position of the sound source relative to the players ear (at least, to my knowledge so far).

You may be on to something as far as dynamic range is concerned, however. The sounds I'm importing have a lot of low/mid range and not a lot of high range, whereas the vanilla fire sounds have quite a lot of mid/high range frequencies. You may be right, the game could be running audio through an equalizer of sorts that could vary depending on the audio source. I'll play around with applying some equalization to the source sounds and see if I get different results. Thanks for your input, it has been quite helpful.

Archived