editing starting note from jake

Searching for "friendly reminder" in the text files of Data/Config immediately turns up Localization.txt as the place to edit. The line starts with "noteDuke01Desc", so search for this string to find the corresponding item in items.xml called noteDuke01. Use that as a template for more notes.

If you search for noteDuke01, you will also find one occurence in entityclasses.xml which starts with "<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvival" "

A good search tool to look for strings in text files is very handy for this kind of detective work

also, how might you create other notes

The best way to make new notes (or anything) is to make a new modlet vs editing the game files directly (also with the Localization.txt change you were wanting, probably should make a modlet with that). Without going into how to make a modlet (Let me know if you need some links or info on making a basic starter modlet), it appears notes can just be made by creating a new "item".

NOTE: This doesn't describe how to use the note (meaning how to find it in loot or start the game with it) only how to make a new note and look at it in the game.

In the game file "items.xml" there is a section defining the starting game note:

<item name="noteDuke01">

<property name="Extends" value="blankNoteMaster"/>

<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="noteDuke01Desc"/>

<property name="CustomIcon" value="challengeQuestMaster"/>

</item>

Breaking this down (the best I can):

<item name="noteDuke01"> <- this is the item name (also used as a tag for referencing a line starting with "noteDuke01" in Localization.txt). You would want to make a new tag with a unique name. say "slicksgirl_noteDuke02". Also: This is going to need to be a new entry in Localization.txt starting with "slicksgirl_noteDuke02" so you can call it whatever you want vs it showing up in the game as "slicksgirl_noteDuke02"

<property name="Extends" value="blankNoteMaster"/> <- This is the "thing that defines what notes are", and you are wanting to "extend" your new copy of it by making a note from the basic game note and changing some things to make it what you want it to say/be.

<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/> <- We don't want this. Don't want to explain as I don't know all the options but if you have this then you can't choose it from the Creative Mode later on down this post. I believe the value of "None" means its hidden from the creative menu.

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="noteDuke01Desc"/> <- This is a reference tag to text inside the note. You would want to make another new line in Localization.txt and make it unique as well. Maybe call it "slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc"

<property name="CustomIcon" value="challengeQuestMaster"/> <- This is the yellow note graphic/icon that shows up when you have the note in your backpack/toolbelt

But, if you just wanted to *not* make a modlet and just make an example to test it out (highly recommended you do make a modlet for any things like this) you could:

Open up items.xml and put this in there next to (underneath) the existing noteDuke01 note (put it there just so its in the right place in the file. It can go in a lot of places):

<item name="slicksgirl_noteDuke02">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc"/>

</item>

Then edit Localization.txt and add 2 lines to the bottom of it, using the same format as the noteDuke01 line. Of course, doing all the languages would be a pain so assuming you'd just do English you can just add this:

slicksgirl_noteDuke02,items,Quest - Note,,,"Custom Note from The SlicksGirl of Navezgane,"

slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc,items,Quest - Note,,,"Something something something here. See you soon. - SlicksGirl"

Then start up the game, but in the main menu before loading the map/game, go into the game options and turn on "Creative Mode". This is just so you can easily get the note and test it out. THEN start/Load the game/map, Open up the Backpack/UI and on the far right (like when you can choose to look at your character, or the map, etc) there will be a little light bulb icon which is the "creative mode" area. Click it, then search for your item via typing "SlicksGirl". You'll see your note. Drag it to your backpack, then look at it the description.

Also: If you don't make a modlet just edit items.xml and Localization.txt you run into 2 possible issues:

1. If you make a typo or don't get everything perfect, the game might not load some things correctly.

2. If the game has an update, it may load a new items.xml, and Localization.txt, and delete all your notes/customizations.

The best way to make new notes (or anything) is to make a new modlet vs editing the game files directly (also with the Localization.txt change you were wanting, probably should make a modlet with that). Without going into how to make a modlet (Let me know if you need some links or info on making a basic starter modlet), it appears notes can just be made by creating a new "item".

NOTE: This doesn't describe how to use the note (meaning how to find it in loot or start the game with it) only how to make a new note and look at it in the game.

In the game file "items.xml" there is a section defining the starting game note:

<item name="noteDuke01">

<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="noteDuke01Desc"/>

</item>

Breaking this down (the best I can):

<item name="noteDuke01"> <- this is the item name (also used as a tag for referencing a line starting with "noteDuke01" in Localization.txt). You would want to make a new tag with a unique name. say "slicksgirl_noteDuke02". Also: This is going to need to be a new entry in Localization.txt starting with "slicksgirl_noteDuke02" so you can call it whatever you want vs it showing up in the game as "slicksgirl_noteDuke02"

<property name="Extends" value="blankNoteMaster"/> <- This is the "thing that defines what notes are", and you are wanting to "extend" your new copy of it by making a note from the basic game note and changing some things to make it what you want it to say/be.

<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/> <- We don't want this. Don't want to explain as I don't know all the options but if you have this then you can't choose it from the Creative Mode later on down this post. I believe the value of "None" means its hidden from the creative menu.

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="noteDuke01Desc"/> <- This is a reference tag to text inside the note. You would want to make another new line in Localization.txt and make it unique as well. Maybe call it "slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc"

<property name="CustomIcon" value="challengeQuestMaster"/> <- This is the yellow note graphic/icon that shows up when you have the note in your backpack/toolbelt

But, if you just wanted to *not* make a modlet and just make an example to test it out (highly recommended you do make a modlet for any things like this) you could:

Open up items.xml and put this in there next to (underneath) the existing noteDuke01 note (put it there just so its in the right place in the file. It can go in a lot of places):

<item name="slicksgirl_noteDuke02">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc"/>

</item>

Then edit Localization.txt and add 2 lines to the bottom of it, using the same format as the noteDuke01 line. Of course, doing all the languages would be a pain so assuming you'd just do English you can just add this:

slicksgirl_noteDuke02,items,Quest - Note,,,"Custom Note from The SlicksGirl of Navezgane,"

slicksgirl_noteDuke02Desc,items,Quest - Note,,,"Something something something here. See you soon. - SlicksGirl"

Then start up the game, but in the main menu before loading the map/game, go into the game options and turn on "Creative Mode". This is just so you can easily get the note and test it out. THEN start/Load the game/map, Open up the Backpack/UI and on the far right (like when you can choose to look at your character, or the map, etc) there will be a little light bulb icon which is the "creative mode" area. Click it, then search for your item via typing "SlicksGirl". You'll see your note. Drag it to your backpack, then look at it the description.

Also: If you don't make a modlet just edit items.xml and Localization.txt you run into 2 possible issues:

1. If you make a typo or don't get everything perfect, the game might not load some things correctly.

2. If the game has an update, it may load a new items.xml, and Localization.txt, and delete all your notes/customizations.

yup, actually was updating my starting loot modlet an thought how nice it would be to upgrade the modlet by hanging the starting note too. I've done pretty much every other kind of modlet, except SDX and editing and notes. Never felt it was necessary till now.

thank you so much for this quick tutorial. its going to come in super handy.

actually was updating my starting loot modlet...I've done pretty much every other kind of modlet, except SDX...

Cool :) Sounds like you've gone further than I have in some modding areas! I've tried touching some Unity stuff but it was too much work/time/effort/brain destroying frustration for me... I'm sticking to basic XML ones as long as I can. Good luck!

thank you so much for this quick tutorial.

No problem :) I kinda like writing documentation for some terrible reason.

Cool :) Sounds like you've gone further than I have in some modding areas! I've tried touching some Unity stuff but it was too much work/time/effort/brain destroying frustration for me... I'm sticking to basic XML ones as long as I can. Good luck!

No problem :) I kinda like writing documentation for some terrible reason.

I've literally never changed out quests or notes and I spent frustrating day searching the files to find where the bits of code were. Never found them. But you helped in a huge way. i want to change the starting note to reflect that the person was actually getting starting loot pulled off the dead guys in the back, behind Jakes back, but they needed to get their buts as far away from crazy Jake, because the person needed to report them as dead.

Currently I'm trying to figure out why my starter kit refuses to work, when I've made at least a dozen of these in past alphas. Before I add in the starting note change.

I'm a sucker for tutorials.

thanks again

Currently I'm trying to figure out why my starter kit refuses to work

I took on porting another modders a17 modlets to a18 and it had a starter crate in it (here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7d2...n-StarterCrate ). It also (still) has issues and I wasn't able to fix it, but maybe you could use some of the code to help? Anyway, I have a note that in mine the "Create does not contain the necessary items (just a few). Don't know how to fix" so it spawns, and has some of the starting items, so its semi working.

Also, if it helps any: I made a quest once (not published) It wasn't too hard, just quite a bit of XML but only in a few files. I didn't publish because I realized I wanted to put some thought into it, and a lot of it I didn't understand really well what all my options were. The only thing that really "stumped me" was I wanted to make the "quest item" something other than the little box you pick up (so you wouldn't have to go to the trader to get a reward). I wanted the reward to be the quest item, or a note indicating what to do next (or just some sad note like "...and Timmy died") . I failed to find a way to get this to work. It seems that for now there 2 "quest items" that you can have to be those quest items and they cannot be some other game object ( like a gun, ammo, teddy bear, etc). I do think I was able to change the "container icon" the quest loot was found in, but I don't remember if I could "choose any loot container I wanted" or if it was limited to the quest satchel and a few other special quest containers.

Edit: Poked around and found a thread I was discussing quests on, with some actual details about it: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/-7-days-to-die-pc/game-modification/discussion-and-requests/107039-need-help-creating-custom-trader-quests

Anyway: Good luck!

I took on porting another modders a17 modlets to a18 and it had a starter crate in it (here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7d2...n-StarterCrate ). It also (still) has issues and I wasn't able to fix it, but maybe you could use some of the code to help? Anyway, I have a note that in mine the "Create does not contain the necessary items (just a few). Don't know how to fix" so it spawns, and has some of the starting items, so its semi working.

Also, if it helps any: I made a quest once (not published) It wasn't too hard, just quite a bit of XML but only in a few files. I didn't publish because I realized I wanted to put some thought into it, and a lot of it I didn't understand really well what all my options were. The only thing that really "stumped me" was I wanted to make the "quest item" something other than the little box you pick up (so you wouldn't have to go to the trader to get a reward). I wanted the reward to be the quest item, or a note indicating what to do next (or just some sad note like "...and Timmy died") . I failed to find a way to get this to work. It seems that for now there 2 "quest items" that you can have to be those quest items and they cannot be some other game object ( like a gun, ammo, teddy bear, etc). I do think I was able to change the "container icon" the quest loot was found in, but I don't remember if I could "choose any loot container I wanted" or if it was limited to the quest satchel and a few other special quest containers.

Edit: Poked around and found a thread I was discussing quests on, with some actual details about it: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/-7-days-to-die-pc/game-modification/discussion-and-requests/107039-need-help-creating-custom-trader-quests

Anyway: Good luck!

oh wow, arnt you awesome!

thank you for linkies

Archived