JSS (Just Survive, Somehow)

mjrice

JSS (Just Survive, Somehow)

This mod's purpose is to tailor the game toward scavenging and exploration with more emphasis on learning skills by discovering them rather than by using the perk system in A17. The perk system is still centrally used to level up your base attributes. When a skill is learned by reading the appropriate book, it is retained indefinitely (there are no time-limited perks such as the perk magazines in A17 vanilla).

Part of this overhaul is that the traders are a more relevant feature of the game. They will buy most things and also offer more and a better variety of things. Skill books that you can't seem to scavenge can be purchased from traders using money you earn by selling them what you can find or make. You can earn more money by selling value-added items (things you craft from basic materials) than by just selling the basic materials. Traders will also offer you skill books in reward for completing their quests.

There is also a greater variety of loot in the game. This includes new types of meat, new canned foods, and new crops as described below. There are over 100 new item icons.

And lastly, you will begin the game by choosing your player's previous career using a starter class paper. This will grant you specific initial knowledge and items based on what you choose.

The mod is located in my modlet collection:

https://github.com/mjrice/7DaysModlets

This mod is compatible with my RWG Mod, The Wild Land.

This mod uses the xpath modding system supported by 7dtd version A17. This means that installing it does not alter any of your 7Days files, and the mod is installed automatically by the game engine at runtime.

To install the mod, all you have to do is unzip the master files into the Mods folder (e.g. mine is e:\steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods)

New Skills-Learning Loot types

• 21 Cookbooks
  • 11 Medical Journals
  • 14 Editions of Gunny's Guide /weapon making skills.
  • 12 Editions of Toolmaking Today /how to make tools.
  • 4 Editions of The Armorer /how to make armor.
  • 11 Editions of Eugene Explains Science /everything from mining helmets to electrical devices to vehicles.

New items

• Pork, Bear Meat, Wolf Meat, Snake Meat, Rabbit Meat, Venison, and Chicken meat.
  • Strawberries (can be harvested in the wild in pine forest)
  • Wheat (crop), which can be made into Flour and used in recipes
  • Herbs (drops randomly from regular grasses)
  • Moss (from moss in caves and sometimes from tall pine trees)
  • 5 Novel genres (economic value)
  • Encyclopedia - 26 Volumes, collect the whole set!
  • New canned goods items: chocolate pudding, peanut butter, canned beans, dried noodles.
  • Chess pieces (12 different items, scrap them into lead and brass or don't)
  • Pine Resin harvest from pine trees, which can be crafted into Tar, used to make torches or duct tape (idea credit to stasis78, implemented it a little differently and added custom icons).

New recipes

• 7 new grilled meats recipes (does not require a cookbook)
  • 7 new boiled meats recipes (does not require a cookbook)
  • 7 new fried meats recipes
  • 7 new meat stews recipes (all meats make the same meat stew item)
  • Blueberry, Strawberry, Mixed Fruit, and Herbal Smoothies (drink)
  • Strawberry shortcake
  • Chili (Venison, Rabbit, Wolf, Bear, and Snake)
  • Herbal tea (has the benefits of both goldenrod tea and coffee)
  • Hasenpfeffer, Chicken Tonight, Tastes Like Chicken Tonight, Bear Roast, Drunken Dog.
  • Zombie Cream (apply to become very hard to detect by zombies for 3 minutes).
  • Noodles, Chicken Noodle Soup, Tuna Noodle Casserole
  • Strawberry Preserves, Blueberry Preserves
  • Tortillas, Enchiladas de Frijoles, and Enchiladas de Carne.

Starter Classes

When you start a new game your player will have an item called "Starter Class Paper" which can be crafted into one of the available class types. When you craft it into a type then you will receive a satchel with that class's starter items. Place the satchel on the ground and punch it to get your items. Each class starts with a couple relevant skill books and one handy item as detailed below.

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr][td]
Chef
[/td]

[td]
  • Cooking: Fried Meats

• Cooking grill and pot

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]
Medic
[/td]

[td]
  • Medical Journals: First Aid Bandage, Plaster Casts

• Two first aid kits

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]
Farmer
[/td]

[td]
  • Cookbook: All About Seeds

• Toolmaking Today: Iron Tools

• Iron hoe and some seeds

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]
Survivalist
[/td]

[td]
  • Gunny's Guides: Iron Clubs, Hunting Knives

• Shotgun and 10 shells

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]
Chief Executive Officer
[/td]

[td]

• $1000 old cash

• 10 business books

• Golf Trophy

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]
Schoolteacher
[/td]

[td]
  • Cookbook: Teas and Coffee

• Glue (12 pack)

• Machete

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]
Drug Dealer
[/td]

[td]
  • $500 old cash

• Steroids

• Painkillers

• Pistol and 30 rounds

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]
Construction Worker
[/td]

[td]

• Toolmaking Today: Hammers

• Nailgun and 50 nails

• Claw hammer

[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Bike Messenger[/td][td]

• Eugene Explains: Bicycles

• Papers

[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Perk Progression changes

• Removed Master Chef. Recipes are learned by finding or purchasing Cookbooks instead. Some cookbooks unlock multiple recipes at once.
  • Removed Hammer and Forge. Recipes for the forge and other skills are now available in editions of Toolmaking Today and The Armorer
  • Removed Advanced Engineering (read issues of Eugene Explains Science or Gunny's Guides)
  • Removed Grease Monkey (read issues of Eugene Explains Science)
  • Physician does not grant medical crafting skills but does still give healing bonus (bonus increased for first 2 tiers). Medical skills are learned by finding or purchasing Medical Journals instead.
  • Run and Gun reduced from 5 to 4 tiers with better effect at each level.
  • Daring Adventurer tweaked so that an extra reward is offered at every level starting at 0.

Assorted changes in no particular order

• All timed-effect perk magazines have been removed.
  • Gain XP from reading skill books (amount depends on book, but generally several thousand XP).
  • The trader will always offer at least two skill books as rewards to quests he sends you on.
  • Charred meat can be made from any raw meat.
  • Antibiotics and Snowberry Extract crafting recipes must now be learned (through corresponding Medical Journals)
  • Novels can be looted from book shelves as well as other containers. They do nothing but traders will give you a good price for them or you can make paper from them. Some genres are worth more than others.
    In the case of all books, journals, and schematics, using the item does not destroy the item. You can sell the ones you dont need after you learn them.
  • Yucca fruit will not make you sick and can be sold to traders.
  • Corn on the cob and baked potatoes do not require a perk to craft.
  • Corn bread recipe is now logical. Takes more ingredients but fills you up and is worth more to the trader.
  • Basic tools and weapons can be sold to traders (but still aren't worth much)
  • Trader now offers reasonable prices on all items you can forage like berries and herbs. (still not much but makes it possible to earn coin)
  • Food items that are made with/stored in a glass jar will now return the empty glass jar to you after you consume the food (just like canned foods already do).
  • Garage storage boxes now contain a wider variety of loot and more loot.
  • The pallets of cardboard boxes are now lootable. Same contents as garage boxes.
  • Increase number of items that can be found in bookstore crates
  • Increase probability of finding honey in shamway grocery boxes
  • Add a chance for a bicycle chassis to the car parts store loot box
  • Purse contains more items and wider variety
  • Added medical journals to pop-n-pills cases
  • Added Gunny's Guides to Shotgun Messiah crates
  • Added Toolmaking books to Working Stiffs crates.
  • Recipe change- bacon and eggs to use pork
  • Recipe change- steak and potatoes to use venison
  • Recipe change- chili dog to use wolf meat
  • bookcase contains more stuff (including Cookbooks, Medical Journals, and Gunny's Guides)
  • New herbal antibiotics recipes
  • testosterone extract added to dire wolf drop/harvest
  • Most safes contain better items
  • Hunting knife damage increased by about 38%
  • Machete damage increased by about 10%.
  • Added bicycle parts to trader's secret stash (starting at level 0)
  • Rationalized ammo economic values
  • Zombie jumping ability is about half what vanilla sets.
  • Poured concrete blocks (created by upgrading cobblestone with concrete mix) can be repaired using regular cement.
  • You can harvest wild plants like cotton using [e] like in A16.
  • Shortened bedroll quest (eliminated wood frames and campfire steps).
  • Added Advanced Starter Survival quest line (given when you complete Basic Survival) - earn 5 additional skill points by completing it.
  • Zombie block damage nerfed to make bases hold up better (per mod by icehot)
  • Nerfed the reload movement penalty by about 40%.
  • Item damage goes up with the quality level (axes, knives, clubs etc).

Sounds good.

First test went wrong.

2019-01-19T11:28:05 6.166 WRN Sprite herbs has incorrect resolution 2048*1781, expected 116*80

2019-01-19T11:28:05 6.166 WRN Sprite herbs2 has incorrect resolution 490*340, expected 116*80

2019-01-19T11:29:18 78.988 WRN XML patch for "entityclasses.xml" from mod "JSS" did not apply: <set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=animalBear]/drop[@name=foodRawMeat]/@name"

2019-01-19T11:29:18 78.990 WRN XML patch for "entityclasses.xml" from mod "JSS" did not apply: <set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=animalWolf]/drop[@name=foodRawMeat]/@name"

2019-01-19T11:29:18 78.991 WRN XML patch for "entityclasses.xml" from mod "JSS" did not apply: <set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=animalDireWolf]/drop[@name=foodRawMeat]/@name"

2019-01-19T11:29:18 79.003 WRN XML patch for "entityclasses.xml" from mod "JSS" did not apply: <append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name=animalDireWolf]"

HDR Render Texture not supported, disabling HDR on reflection probe.

2019-01-19T11:29:54 115.205 ERR XML loader: Loading and parsing 'loot.xml' failed

Exception: Item with name 'foodGrilledMeat' not found!

Fixed, was using other mods wich changes the names of the animals.

mjrice Bad idea to introduce different meats with a small backpack. Your pallets will not conflict with another mod from Stallion?

I kind of like having to pick and choose what I am carrying around, makes it seem a little more realistic.

Also, re conflicts, I don't know because I don't know what that mod is or does. (but yeah probably would if they both modify the same item).

I kind of like having to pick and choose what I am carrying around, makes it seem a little more realistic.

Also, re conflicts, I don't know because I don't know what that mod is or does. (but yeah probably would if they both modify the same item).

I like the idea too.

Can you please submit this mod without all the tweaks, but just new items for meat?

I like your items, but your configuration is what i changed in other files.

A clean modlet with just new stuff would be amazing!

Pallet there is a separate mod. Why sculpt in one a bunch and create conflicts with other mods?

Pallet there is a separate mod. Why sculpt in one a bunch and create conflicts with other mods?

If you are creating a mod with new items and you want those items to appear in loot such as boxes, you have to touch the boxes too unless they are using predefined loot groups, which these are not. I could disable my changes to the loot probabilities but then the new items would never appear.

Newest version now has books for learning weapon making recipes ("Gunny's Guides") and Moss is now harvestable (so far only in one recipe but more to come). I have also make a lot of adjustments in this version to try and ensure that the Traders have books available to sell in case you can't find the one you want (they are meant to be expensive, but that also means you can make more by selling extra ones you loot to the traders).

Chunkimunki, what is the error you are getting?

New to version 1.1 of the mod:

Run and Gun perk tree altered from 5 down to 4 levels with better boost at each level.

Encyclopedia (loot) - 26 Volumes, collect the whole set! (Seriously, collect them all and craft a Encyclopedia Set for a significant XP reward and trader value). You can treat these like the Novels that traders will buy, but by crafting the entire 26 volumes into a set you will get a bonus 5000 XP and the trader will give you 72 times as much as for a single volume. These can be found in bookshelves as well as in pallets of cardboard boxes.

I LOVE all of the recipe / schematic changes, would you be able to separate those out in future releases for increased mod compatibility? A number of the other changes conflict with other mods or go outside the scope of the recipe changes.

I suppose it's probably as easy as only using the recipe.xml and progression.xml, but I thought I'd check.

Awesome work man!

Thanks for the encouragement! To answer your question I am not quite sure what the best way to do that would be. The challenge to separating the changes is that one of them usually ends up requiring the other mod to be present, and there is no way to check to see if it is (or if the mod has been patched in in the correct order). I am still trying to figure out how to deal with that kind of thing.

I think what were trying to say is that as this is still a modlet and not an 'Overhaul' we just want to drop it into our collection with little or no conflict with chosen favourites.

This is stuffed with exciting new things to play with but overlaps for example with another pallet modlet from STALLIONSDEN.

If you have a look I think you can see its v.comprehensive and slots in with his barrel/shelving modlets.

Now lord knows I've tried to remove your pallets / add his but am a dullard and had zero success.

I understand this is your creation but if all it takes is getting the nod from him and/or others why not include it to allow you to focus on the new goodies?

Anyhoo that's me just 'spit balling so keep up the great work and look forward to where this is going - Cheers

love the idea of the mod the classes and quests but cant get the books to work the only other mods I use on the server is allocs and bc

Can you give me an example of a specific book that didn't work, I will investigate. Also make sure you are using the latest version of the mod, there were some problems earlier with some specific books like Cooking Bacon and Eggs.

Didn't start with the class paper. (edit: not seeing it in creative menu either)

When loading I got: ERR XML loader: Loading and parsing 'quests.xml' failed

exception: quest with id of 'quest_FirstAid" already exists.

Only other mods I have are your Wildlands mod and the SMX mods. Wildlands and JSS are the only 2 that have anything to do with quests.xml. This was a new game created specifically for trying out JSS.

You're probably not seeing the class paper because of the error (it is probably not loading the mod at all once that happens) but I don't know why you get that error, it isn't doing it for me. 'quest_FirstAid' isn't in vanilla so I don't understand how it could already exist. Puzzling

Archived