White River - Tools Of Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PACK] White River - Tools Of Citizenship

I wanted to share a little mod pack I've been working on. I tried to design this so that it could either be dropped into an existing game or work from a new game.

This modlet collection extends the new player White River citizenship quest line to provide some Kill Zombies, Gather & Craft, and Find Item quests to obtain improved tools and equipment. Each item has a small back story and explanation in an attempt to blend with the vanilla game and Trader experience. This gives new players a chance to obtain named-gear through a method other than randomness or traditional progression. I tried to balance the rewards and equipment these quests provide to not provide an excessive reward and throw off balanced gameplay. In most cases, the named items only provide a moderate improvement over the items they were created from.

**This modlet pack is only XML XPath and only needs to be installed on the server!**

This modlet collection provides a multi-tier quest line, first requiring the player to craft a +Declaration of Citizenship. This allows them to begin a quest to volunteer to help lay to rest 10 old residents now turned zombie. This earns the player a +White River Citizenship Card which they can then use to select which equipment quest they would like to pursue. The player's citizenship card is returned to them after they complete the quest. If it is lost or the player wants to pursue more than one quest at the same time, the player can craft a new +Declaration of Citizenship to start the process over of becoming a White Run citizen.

--

White River - Tools of Citizenship - A18

The White River settlements are looking for new citizens to give extra tools and equipment that they've collected. They are offering to provide a select few survivors access to higher quality equipment in exchange for volunteering to complete various tasks for the settlement. There is a limited supply and these items are only available to those who gain citizenry with White River settlements. In addition to the reward, the player is also offered a small stack of wet concrete blocks, from the last of the Trader's community inventory to assist in re-establishing a homestead.

Citizenship is offered in two-tiers:

- Tier 1 : Kill 10 Zombies. This is the Basic level of citizenship. Reward: +White River Citizenship Card
    - Tier 2 : Kill 100 Zombies. This is the Veteran level of citizenship. Reward: +White River Veteran Citizenship Card

Once the player obtains their citizenship card, they can use this to craft quest starter items for the equipment quests below. Some of the quests below offer a veteran version which rewards a sealed crate containing better quality, more items, and greater quantity of each multi-quantity item. However, after each "Veteran" quest is complete, only a basic citizenship card is returned. The player must successfully complete the Tier 2 citizenship quest again in order to pursue another Veteran equipment quest below.

EQUIPMENT QUESTS:

- Bambi's Killer Compound Bow & Crossbow - Earn the famed deer killer, "Bambi's Killer Compound Bow" or "Bambi's Killer Compound Crossbow" with slightly better stats than Vanilla.
    - Bunyan's FireAxe - Help the Trader stock up on potable water in exchange for a Paul Bunyan-branded FireAxe.
    - Deschain's Revolver - Collect the eight Dark Tower series books and craft nineteen doors to have one of Roland Deschain's legendary revolvers bestowed upon you. Has custom bullets that are expensive to craft, but super powerful.
    - Dundee's Hunting Knife - Help the Trader collect bone shivs in exchange for Dundee's famous Hunting Knife with slightly better stats than Vanilla.
    - Everdeen's Arrows & Bolts - The settlement is trying to put together a feast. Help feed everyone in exchange for named arrows or bolts guaranteed to fly true.
    - Gupta's Bandages - Can't craft first aid bandages? Trade Aloe Leaves & Cotton for a few First Aid Bandages.
    - Ivanka's Flaming Dig Tools - From the biggest digger herself, iron and steel Pickaxe & Shovel with flaming mods and slightly better stats than Vanilla. These tools rock too!
    - Jason's Machete - Obtain a replica of Jason's famous machete in exchange for helping the settlement. Big thanks to Wyldwitchykat for this addition!
    - Kuva's Red Armor - Discover the secret ingredient in Kuva's Legendary Red Armor. This armor is rumored to be lightweight and stealthy, with resistances to heat & cold, and an extra mod slot per piece. The basic quest is EASY, but the Veteran quest is HARD.
    - Leon's Modded SMG - Help Leon finish his DIY gun project, resulting in a 9mm SMG weapon with slightly better stats than Vanilla.
    - Taza's Axe - The famed Taza's Axe, already awesome.

All quests, except Deschain's Revolver, are designed to be repeatable in case of loss of equipment or to try your luck at a higher quality reward.

Current Download
    A18.3_1.7d - White River - Tools of Citizenship A18.3_1.7d

Old Downloads
    A18.3_1.6c - White River - Tools of Citizenship A18.3_1.6c
    A17.1 & A17.2 - White River - Tools of Citizenship 1.5a
    Last edited by ShoudenKalferas; 02-22-2020, 03:58 PM. Reason: Updated version to A18.3_1.7d

I really enjoy this concept! Good job! Definitely will be adding this into my game for when I am not working and testing out my mods.

Looking forward to seeing this expand.

Comment

I love this and I hope you expand it more. Especially with more objectives besides "Kill zombie" if at all possible. I like the idea of rewarding players for playing the game, but I want to see something that rewards things other than combat. I feel combat is already the defacto way to get stronger, faster.

Rant aside, great job.

Comment

Very good

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. If anyone finds any bugs or problems, please do let me know. I've played through it quite a bit as I was developing it, but wanted to get this out into the World for others to try out. I appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative.

Originally posted by Tristam View Post
          I love this and I hope you expand it more. Especially with more objectives besides "Kill zombie" if at all possible. I like the idea of rewarding players for playing the game, but I want to see something that rewards things other than combat. I feel combat is already the defacto way to get stronger, faster.

Rant aside, great job.
          Please know that the "Kill Zombie" really is only to gain citizenship. Beyond that, most of the quests surround gathering resources and crafting items. I do plan to expand this within the bounds of what the game currently allows.. which is really quite limited. The only real actionable tasks are kill zombie (of type ___), goto POI/Prefab (but limitation has it always pointing to trader), and trading in one item for another. There is a way to track the number of blocks placed.. but in order for that to really be usable, we need the ability to task the player with visiting a POI. I've got a few more ideas I'd like to implement on this but it really would be helpful if TFP would improve the quest code. Half of what I've designed here, I feel is a hack to give the appearance of a congruent quest experience.

I did make a great effort to make my XPath code as concise as possible. I found nearly all of the other Quest Modlet examples had extraneous lines of code that didn't serve a purpose or were not needed. This should make it easier for others to copy the code from my Modlets to either add on to this White River Tools of Citizenship quests or to create something new and different. I also did purposely leave one of the Modlets as simple as possible (Gupta's Bandages) to leave a simple example for others.

Comment

Cool! Will be adding these to my game soon!

Originally posted by Tristam View Post

Rant aside, great job.
            I agree with this!

Comment

If you have any specific requests of anything you'd like me to code into this or any ideas of quests please let me know. I'm certainly open to suggestions or constructive criticism of what I've designed so far. Please bear in mind at the moment it is not possible to have a quest step for a player to go to a location other than the trader.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoudenKalferas View Post
                Epic Snip:
                Bambi's Killer Compound Bow - Earn the famed deer killer, "Bambi's Killer" Compound Bow with slightly better stats than Vanilla.
                [/URL]
                This is pure blasphemy and an utter lie!!! Bambi thee Great Prince of the Forest wasn't killed! He lived a long and happy life and died of old age... Besides no one could kill thee Great Prince of the Forest.

Jokes aside - EXCELLENT! I had in mind that those applying would have to undergo a serious quest to become a white river citizen. "They" are watching and noted to that effect with the first two messages. I envisioned the player having to clear an area of a 'major town' or "Zero-Zero" as it was before. Then I got into Starvation Mod for 16.4. "They" have survivors that you can 'employ.' That would have been a way to startup another settlement. At the end the player - having to make the choice of either dedicating it and 'giving control' to "White River" or keeping it and trying to have his/her own settlement since it is starting to produce money and 'making a name for itself.' But I also imagined that at some point the "White River" 'clan' would allow the player to rent out a spot in various traitors, albeit if that traitor even wanted to rent 'the spot' out at all.

Comment

This sounds awesome ... so we gave it a go.

although, we dont seem to have it working.
                  I dropped the whole folder in to my mods on the server and nothing seems to show for this.

New server - was on day 3 when installed
                  2 of the 3 players spawned in fresh after this was installed, none of the 3 found additional quest
                  either in there start up quest or at the trader

Are we missing something here?
                  we are running A17.2 - does your mod work with this last update?

thanks !!

Comment

I put this quests on my server and the players really enjoy them. But there seems to be an issue with the Gupta's Bandages Quest. A player informed me today, the collected resources are not removed when the quest is turned in, so it can be repeated infinitely. Since I had not yet the time to check the quest myself, here my players info in his own words:" gupta's bandages quest bugged
                    doesn't use resources upon completing, making it possible to jsut start, turn in over and over. infinite skillpoints for the price of 24 aloe vera and 40 cotton, once. This is pretty op"

Comment

Originally posted by Puschpa View Post
                      I put this quests on my server and the players really enjoy them. But there seems to be an issue with the Gupta's Bandages Quest. A player informed me today, the collected resources are not removed when the quest is turned in, so it can be repeated infinitely. Since I had not yet the time to check the quest myself, here my players info in his own words:" gupta's bandages quest bugged
                      doesn't use resources upon completing, making it possible to jsut start, turn in over and over. infinite skillpoints for the price of 24 aloe vera and 40 cotton, once. This is pretty op"
                      Ouch. I see what I did wrong on this. Sorry about the problem on this one. Boy that's a big one to miss. I'll publish a new release later today that will have a fix for this.

Originally posted by illusions View Post
                      This sounds awesome ... so we gave it a go.

although, we dont seem to have it working. we are running A17.2 - does your mod work with this last update?

thanks !!
                      The zip file you downloaded contains a folder in it called "XelaNull-7dtd-Modlets-A17.1_1.3b2", and within that you'll see eight other folders. Its these eight folders you would want to copy to your Mods folder. Although, I did design these modlets under 17.1, hence that version being in my version number (and the folder mentioned above). I'll work to test this Modlet collection against 17.2 today with the intention of releasing a version tested against 17.2 & 17.1 later today.

Originally posted by Cadamier View Post
                      This is pure blasphemy and an utter lie!!! Bambi thee Great Prince of the Forest wasn't killed! He lived a long and happy life and died of old age... Besides no one could kill thee Great Prince of the Forest.

Jokes aside - EXCELLENT! I had in mind that those applying would have to undergo a serious quest to become a white river citizen. "They" are watching and noted to that effect with the first two messages. I envisioned the player having to clear an area of a 'major town' or "Zero-Zero" as it was before. Then I got into Starvation Mod for 16.4.
                      Is it "Bambi's, Killer Bow" or is it "Bambi's Killer, Bow" ?? HMMMM I'm glad you enjoyed my sardonic sense of humor.
                      I've not played Starvation Mod before, but it sounds really interesting. I'll have to dig through their code to see if I can sort through how they accomplished what you described. At the moment, I'm not convinced the initial Kill 10 Zombie quest is allow all the Zombies I've listed. In-Game it is listed the big list I've supplied as just the first entry in the list. I'm not sure there is a good way to track that a player has killed all zombies in an area (as opposed to XXX number of zombies), but I'll look into this more to see if there is something maybe I missed. Thanks for your thoughts.
                      Last edited by ShoudenKalferas; 03-09-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoudenKalferas View Post
                        Ouch. I see what I did wrong on this. Sorry about the problem on this one. Boy that's a big one to miss. I'll publish a new release later today that will have a fix for this.
                        Thanks in advance for fixing this. And just to add another one: The quest "+Writ Of Repaired Leon" requires 6 ingredients, while the crafting pane can only show 5, so players get the message they lack of some materials and do not know what it is. And the rewarded mods are chosen randomly from the item_modifiers.xml it seem, which leads to mods rewarded which are not yet officially in game, they are still commented out in loot.xml and recipes.xml. One of my players just got the "modGunMeleeBlessedMetal", which is one of them. as long they do not break anything it should be no issue, but probably they will not give the expected boni etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Puschpa View Post
                          Thanks in advance for fixing this. And just to add another one: The quest "+Writ Of Repaired Leon" requires 6 ingredients, while the crafting pane can only show 5, so players get the message they lack of some materials and do not know what it is. And the rewarded mods are chosen randomly from the item_modifiers.xml it seem, which leads to mods rewarded which are not yet officially in game, they are still commented out in loot.xml and recipes.xml. One of my players just got the "modGunMeleeBlessedMetal", which is one of them. as long they do not break anything it should be no issue, but probably they will not give the expected boni etc.
                          Okay, I'll adjust this as well as part of this next release. The mods being handed out that aren't implemented yet thing is a little bit of a surprise to me. I went out of my way to use built-in loot groups to try and avoid this kind of problem. But I'll take another look. It seems maybe I might have picked a bad loot group to use for this. I appreciate you providing me a specific example to look up for this.

Comment

The zip file you downloaded contains a folder in it called "XelaNull-7dtd-Modlets-A17.1_1.3b2", and within that you'll see eight other folders. Its these eight folders you would want to copy to your Mods folder. Although, I did design these modlets under 17.1, hence that version being in my version number (and the folder mentioned above). I'll work to test this Modlet collection against 17.2 today with the intention of releasing a version tested against 17.2 & 17.1 later today.
                            Awesome Thanks !!! I will keep an eye out for the update.

Comment

I've released A17.2_1.4a which has been tested against both A17.1 and A17.2. This release does include the bugfix to ensure Gupta's quest takes the materials collected when the quest is turned in. I've modified and ensured all quests have 5 or fewer ingredients. I've also significantly lowered the loot coming out of all crates across the board. I also removed a loot group that I think in some configurations may have allowed unreleased mods to be provided to players. Lastly, I degraded Leon's Degraded SMG even further to ensure that it behaves very poorly (but still functions) and would rapidly deteriorate with use.

In addition to the fixes above, I've also added an additional multi-tier Modlet: Everdeen's Arrows & Bolts. In this quest you can help feed the settlement by collecting food to help make a vegetable stew. In return, you'll get a serving of the stew, but also some named Everdeen Arrows or Bolts, depending on if you are working on the veteran level of the quest or not. These arrows (or bolts) fly just a little farther and faster than the Vanilla. I did set it up so the vanilla weapons can use these new arrows & bolts. However, at this time only the trader has this limited stock.. so you will not find these randomly in the world.

Please have a run through and let me know if you run into any other issues. The new download link is in the first post of the thread.
                              Last edited by ShoudenKalferas; 03-10-2019, 12:13 AM. Reason: updated version

Comment

Working...
                              X