0XP RolMod A18

Roland

ZY2AqCJ.png

UPDATED May 14 2020 See #11 Below!

1) Zero Experience For Actions

Actions in the game are now only valuable for helping you survive and accomplish your goals. There are no xp bonuses attached to individual actions that make killing zombies more valuable than farming or mining or scavenging or building. Zombies are now an obstacle to your objectives instead of a source of xp income tempting you hunt them down and kill them. Use stealth to avoid or weapons to destroy and as long as you survive the day you will get rewarded either way.

2) Daily Skillpoint For Surviving

Gain skill points simply for surviving according to the following schedule:

• After your first and second days of survival, you will gain one skill point each day.
  • On your third and fourth days of survival, you will earn two skill points each day.
  • After your fifth day of survival and thereafter you will earn 3 skill points per day.

If you die your penalty will be having to start over with earning 1 then 2 and then 3 skill points AND the timer begins fresh from when you respawn so it will take 5 full days of no deaths to regain the highest level of skill point generation.

Costs of attribute and perk progression have been increased to compensate for the increase in skill point gains.

Attribute costs for levels 2-10 are: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Perk costs for levels 1-5 are: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5

3) Training In Return For Jobs

Beginning with Tier 3 and Tier 4 quests you will be rewarded 1 skill point in addition to the other quest rewards. Tier 5 quests will reward you with 2 skill points. This puts an incentive on doing quests in order to progress. Skillpoints are not earned for the tutorial quests nor for Tier 1 and 2 quests.

4) Gamestages Based on Time Instead of Actions

Gamestages will now progress daily instead of as a result of player actions gaining XP. Each game day that the player does not suffer a death they will automatically level up which will, in turn, advance the gamestage. The gamestages multipliers have been modified to help compensate for this slower pace of gamestage advancement as follows:

Scavenger: 1.5

Adventurer: 1.8

Nomad: 2.2

Warrior: 2.6

Survivalist: 3.0

Insane: 3.5

These are higher rates than vanilla but leveling up now happens once a day at a regular pace which is slower than most players of the vanilla game. Please note that the ONLY function leveling up has is to advance gamestages. Gaining skill points for player progression advancement is completely separate from player level now and there are no experience points in the game at all.

5) Improved Death Ambiguity

Because there is no XP there is no XP popout which means no giveaway clue that a zombie died with that last hit. But I took it several steps further by removing death animations from all zombies, replacing the death sound from all zombies with their stun sound, and increasing the range of time they will utilize to recover from a stun. So now when they die it looks and sounds exactly like it does when they are stunned. The only remaining clue is that big yellow bag that sometimes appears....

6) Increased Zombie Loot Drops

Since there is no longer xp for killing zombies I increased the loot drop across the board to 8%.

7) Trader Finder Quests

All of the treasure map quests will now chain into the White River Settlement Quest from the beginning of the game giving the player a chance to find a new trader. The quest finds the nearest trader to your location which might be a trader you already know but if you are lucky you may get a new trader's location after digging up that treasure chest. How exciting!!!

😎 Brutal Start

The Newbie protection buff has been removed. There is zero protection from the elements from the get go.

9) Get off your Brass

Added a random 0-3 scrap brass drop to destroyed stone. Need brass? Find the ruins of the old world and start digging through it all for that precious metal. This modlet is completely standalone so can be used alone or deleted without causing any issues.

10) Trolland's Moar Zombies

Added more zombies to biome spawns as well as larger wandering hordes. Greatly increased nighttime spawns to simulate the lunar influence waking up and causing more zombies to be active. Values are very easy to change if you want to lower or increase the numbers. If you prefer vanilla numbers simply delete this modlet from your mods folder.

11) Laz Man's Horde Night Vanguard Quest  NEW

You now earn a bonus skillpoint for every 100 bloodmoon zombies you kill. You have to directly kill them and it is only bloodmoon zombies that count. In the beginning it might take 2-3 hordenights to fulfill the bounty but later you might earn 3 skillpoints from one hordenight! The quest is automatically started after the tutorial quest and renews itself every time it is fulfilled.

Thanks and Credits

Thanks to @Guppycur, @StompyNZ, @sphereii, @Laz Man, and all others who have helped me and continue to help me. Guppycur and Sphereii are responsible for the SDX script and dual timer that makes the daily skill point possible. Sphereii also came up with the script to make this mod truly zero xp. Laz Man came up with the genius workaround for creating a quest that only works during the bloodmoon. Several others gave me pointers and ran through xpath lines of code with me to help me see what I was missing. Obviously my improved Ambiguous Death mod was inspired by Guppy's own random zombie get back up mod. Special thanks goes to @Royal Deluxe who provided me with a simple morning quest in the early development of this idea so I could try it out and see if it was worth pursuing. And @rewtgr....thanks for keeping me sane when nothing I tried would remove the damn level gates on the last night when I was trying to get this pushed out. Thanks to @jrbarrio for allowing me to use his work for more outdoor zombies roaming the world. Thanks to @Red Eagle LXIX for allowing me to use his work to remove the XP bar from the HUD.

If you feel I should have given you credit in any of this work please let me know. I don't mean to slight anyone and want to make sure to give full credit where it is due. Please feel free to use any part of this compilation for your own projects. I tried to keep things clear so parts could be easily separated out but feel free to ask me if you want to know where the stuff is that does the thing.

Instructions

Please note: You must select 0% in the options menu for the xp multiplier. If you have a saved game using the old version where you selected 2% you will unfortunately have to start a new game because for some reason the saved world remembers and you will start earning xp even though you select 0%. If you play at 100% you are showing a lack of understanding about the point of this mod....

So

Step 1: Use Sphereii's mod launcher to load my mod.

Step 2: Remember to select 0% in the main menu options before playing.

qsgWTYa.png

If you are interested in looking at the files or do not wish to use the mod launcher, they are here. You can download the mods folder and replace it with the one in your 7 days to die folder if you want the entire package. Otherwise you can pick and choose the files you wish to use. The skillpoint generator is SDX and so must be compiled. If you don't know how to do this using the SDX launcher then it's best to simply use Sphereii's mod launcher which will do it for you automatically.

Please Note: If for any reason you are not sure how to do this because you are new to modding but wanted to try out my mod, please send me a pm and I will give step by step instructions to help you get my mod into your computer. People helped spoon feed me as I tried to wrap my brain around xpath and so now it's my turn to pay it forward. I've got a spoon and a big jar of Creamy Pears in my hands just for you.

For Servers

I’m not knowledgeable about how to set up servers but here are what others have done to get this mod up and running on a server. Thanks to them for taking the time to explain.

For Windows:

These are the steps to create a (windows or linux) headless server with 0XP-mod using SDX. (SDX is on the way out and will probably be replaced by DMT. Also Mod Launcher could possibly be used to generate the files for the headless server. Wine might be used to do all of this without windows, but this has not been tried yet)

First time tasks:

1) Load SDX 0.7.3 from https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?97663-SDX-0-7-3-Alpha-17 and unzip it

2) Start SDX and klick "Settings" and point the "Game Directory" to a directory where you want to store your headless server image

3) If you get a runtime exception on startup of SDX, edit SDX7DTD.exe.config and insert the line "<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/>" after the line "<runtime>"

4) Enable or install Microsoft .net framework 3.5 (google for "enable .net framework 3.5" or "install .net framework 3.5" for instructions).

Tasks whenever a new version of mod or 7D2D is available:

1) Load newest 0xpmod from https://github.com/Roland7dtd/0XP-Rolmod (green "Clone or Download" button)

copy the contents of the Mods Folder of 0XP-Rolmod into [sDX DIR]/Targets/7DaysToDie/Mods

2) Download newest 7D2D headless server image from steam, instructions here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/7_Days_to_Die_Dedicated_Server

For login to steam you can use "login anonymous"

3) Start SDX

4) If everything is correct, SDX should show you a list consisting of (currently) "Anti Nerd Poling" and "Skillpoint Generator". Klick "Build" and wait for it to finish

4a) If you point "Game Directory" to your local copy of 7D2D you can build the libraries for the client too, they will be in [local client]\7DaysToDie_Data\Managed\

5) Look into [headless server image]\7DaysToDieServer_Data\Managed\. There should be 5 new files: Assembly-CSharp.dll, Mods.dll, Mods.pdb, SDX.Payload.dll, SDX.Core.dll

6) Copy those 5 files to the respective directory on the server, i.e. 7DaysToDieServer_Data/Managed

7) Extract 0XP-Rolmod into the server image on the server.

For Linux

On a related note, I was able to get this working on a dedicated Linux server but I just used your Mod Launcher and the resulting files to get it working. I can post the details tonight if people are interested.

Since I needed to update the server to the latest 0XP mod as well as 17.4, I decided to test Sphereii's theory. I pulled the files I uploaded to the server with the exception of the mod itself and gave it a run through. And sure enough, just having the 0XP stuff in the mod folder on the server was enough to get it to run - even made sure I got a skill point for lasting a whole hour!

So just so long as the client is configured with SDX properly - works just fine.

As an aside, by NOT uploading the pre-fabs, I was able to keep trader protection in place even though the client is running them.

I’m just a beginner. Maybe someday. I’ve decided this modding stuff is pretty fun.

Oh it will creep up on you. Just when you thought you were out, it will pull you back IN! Welcome to the club, avoid the lemonade Gup is serving. No reason, just avoid it, trust me.

Good luck on this new venture. Looks real good too. I will give it a spin.

Holy cow! Walking into this modlet was a brain twist. I like it, totally changed my play style. The only thing more I'd want is more quests/npcs that can give quests. Haha maybe a quest to find/save npcs! This mod opens the game up not only from the sandbox, but for the inspired rpg modders.

Holy cow! Walking into this modlet was a brain twist. I like it, totally changed my play style. The only thing more I'd want is more quests/npcs that can give quests. Haha maybe a quest to find/save npcs! This mod opens the game up not only from the sandbox, but for the inspired rpg modders.

I know for sure Prime has a few more quest types planned but I don't know if they will make it in for A18 or not. But agreed, a ton of quests with great variety will really help this particular mod.

I remember when I first started playing I kept forgetting that I didn't NEED to kill every zombie. Amazing how the last few alphas have conditioned us to not miss out on any and all possible kills...lol.

Thanks for trying it out!

Nice work! I've always wanted to make a daily skill point system but had no idea how to do it. A survival game should be about surviving I like every other features too, but the quests are a bit of a downside to me (at this state). With more variiety it could be awesome tho! Will definitely give it a try!

Please Note: If for any reason you are not sure how to do this because you are new to modding but wanted to try out my mod, please send me a pm and I will give step by step instructions to help you get my mod into your computer. People helped spoon feed me as I tried to wrap my brain around xpath and so now it's my turn to pay it forward. I've got a spoon and a big jar of Creamy Pears in my hands just for you.

LOL I prefer dutch apple please :)

Okay, suggestion 1 ... just from a setup standpoint. Create a Mods master folder, and put your mods inside there.

Yes, I know, most people already have a Mods folder, and yadda yadda ... BUT if you're starting with a fresh install, like I am, to make sure there's nothing conflicting and you can review the Mod as it was intended, the folder isn't there. Of course, if you know enough to start a clean folder, you should know enough to create a Mods folder. But I'm lazy. :)

2) No Nerdpoling

I've always wanted the game to prevent nerdpoling and it is clear to me that the devs have no real interest in doing this because the devs told me they have no real interest in doing this. So this will be an ongoing project of mine to figure out the best way to do this. I've gotten some suggestions and plan to test them out and if I find something I like I will make it a part of this mod

4) Increased Top Speed of Enemies

Zombie speed is just lame right now. I've been meaning to work on this but have not but will in the future. I think that the game used to be more thrilling when the zombies stayed right on your six when you ran away and you would have to use obstacles to lose them. Now you just run for 10 seconds and lose them easily.

Okay ... I have a question about the Nerdpoling. I am 100% for removing the ability to nerdpole up to avoid obstacles or just be a jerk and break in the top floor instead of fighting your way up.

HOWEVER ... it is also used for legitimate things ... like building. I use it to put in temp supports while concrete dries, I use it to be able to map out the area I'm building, to reach the top of the wall, the ceiling, etc. So that'd need to be taken into consideration. Maybe put a limit on the height that you can stack unupgraded frames.

Now .. top speed of enemies ... zombies path better than they did, so you can't really use obstacles to lose them. And running for ten seconds is about all you can do ... stamina for running is a joke. So unless you're going to do something to stamina ...

And just my two cents ... if your goal is to survive and not die ... you SHOULD be able to outrun zombies. At least the regular ones, during the day. I mean, what's the point of creating a mod designed to make you need to survive to advance, and then make it impossible to survive? That way lies frustration. At least for players like me, who spaz out and aren't hard core whackazombie people.

Thanks for the feedback Pegasus. I will definitely change the organization of Github files so that there is one mod folder that can be downloaded.

Nerdpoling: Whatever I do I will make sure it is completely modular and separated from the rest of this mod so it is seen as purely an option and not core to my mod. (Same with invisible HUD)

Zombie Speed: I am only talking about their top sprinting speed. I still want the full range of speeds: walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare. All I would change is sprint to be closer to the player’s sprinting speed and nightmare so that zombies would be faster than the player’s sprint speed.

I too believe that players should be faster than walking zombies and I still prefer they walk during the day (actually jog). But I hate how easy it is to outrun them now even at night. It removes all fear.

Nice work! I've always wanted to make a daily skill point system but had no idea how to do it. A survival game should be about surviving I like every other features too, but the quests are a bit of a downside to me (at this state). With more variiety it could be awesome tho! Will definitely give it a try!

The quests are a placeholder feature until I can get what I really want. Because of gamestages and because almost all aspects of gamestage are hardcoded— players must increase in level for the game to work properly. If player level remains at 1 then the game is extremely boring and loot is always crap.

Presently, the only way to increase level is through experience points. There is only one property called “exp_to_level”. So the quests are used to give the only experience points in the game and simply for the purpose of increasing the player’s level for gamestages.

In the future I hope to be able to mod the game so that whenever you gain a skillpoint THAT will increase your level. Then I’ll completely remove experience for real and the daily timer will give a skillpoint and cause your level to increase so that quests will again become purely optional. Unfortunately for now they are required to advance the game difficulty and loot probabilities.

1)

4) Increased Top Speed of Enemies

Zombie speed is just lame right now. I've been meaning to work on this but have not but will in the future. I think that the game used to be more thrilling when the zombies stayed right on your six when you ran away and you would have to use obstacles to lose them. Now you just run for 10 seconds and lose them easily.

I have been playing with zombie speeds for one of my modlets ... mine are 'all types of zombies' (except animals) at a fixed top speed for aggro but for me mine are more akin to walking dead style slower zombies.

Just set speeds higher to match player speed and they surely will be on your tail.... if this helps you at all.

<set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeedAggro']/@value">0.2, 0.5</set>
<set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeed']/@value">0.2</set>
<set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeedPanic']/@value">0.5</set>

2) No Nerdpoling

I've always wanted the game to prevent nerdpoling and it is clear to me that the devs have no real interest in doing this because the devs told me they have no real interest in doing this. So this will be an ongoing project of mine to figure out the best way to do this. I've gotten some suggestions and plan to test them out and if I find something I like I will make it a part of this

I would think removing nerdpoling could be done by not allowing placement of blocks while jumping, but I have no idea if there's anything in the code that would be easy to switch to prevent it. Technically one could still just make two adjacent stacks and go back and forth, but it would slow things considerably.

I would think removing nerdpoling could be done by not allowing placement of blocks while jumping, but I have no idea if there's anything in the code that would be easy to switch to prevent it. Technically one could still just make two adjacent stacks and go back and forth, but it would slow things considerably.

Yes, Spider mentioned in another thread that his True Survival mod did what you described but it took more than xml editing to accomplish.

Yes, Spider mentioned in another thread that his True Survival mod did what you described but it took more than xml editing to accomplish.

Yea, it was in one of the true survival versions and was insane! Was a dll edit by another member of that team who is no longer modding unfortunately.

Then you would nerdpole with a 2x1 tower instead of a 1x1.

Removing nerdpolling is pretty lofty Roland but I honestly do not see such happening in an open world builder like this. The player just has to many options and to much power. All you really accomplish is changing the way that players can nerdpole.

Archived