A19 NPCs DMT Mod

xyth

NPCs DMT Mod

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.4fe8d8ffbd481671f92c434029f1606c.jpg

Description

This is a mod that introduces dynamic NPC characters into the game by expanding on the CreaturePack Humans. These NPCs require some of Sphereii's DMT scripts, and these dependencies will be enforced upon loading this mod with the mod launcher. Many issues probably exist and we need help testing to make these NPCs work better.

This mod adds many new NPCs to the game. Unlike previous NPCs, these can be hired then issued orders to stay, follow, and guard (patrol eat, drink, and looting POIs for you are  being reworked, or abandoned). All this is configured in XML. Once hired, you cannot kill them, nor can another hireling or allies in your party hurt them. This blocks friendly fire issues. Non hired NPCs are fair game. They are currently set to spawn in the friendly animal spawn group, but you can change that in xml. 

You set the patrol route by using invisible patrol blocks.  Likely that will need a video to explain. 

In xml you can set what the NPCs eat and drink, what they use for a toilet and what they defecate (if you turn that on), whats their home block, what they use for a bed, food containers, etc. Take a look at the xml and read the comments. The NPCs are an adaptation of the animals used for another mod, so if you want NPCs to breed and lay eggs, well, that could happen with the right xml. Just don't ask me to help you with that 🙂

Installing

The NPC mod is found in the DMT section of the mod launcher or in my repo here:

A18 version is here:

This is an DMT mod so it must be compiled with DMT, or loaded by the mod launcher. This mod has several dependencies that must be compiled with this mod for it to work properly. These are:

<dependency>0-SphereIICore</dependency>
<dependency>SphereII NPC Dialog Windows</dependency>

Find those dependency mods here:

<dependency>0-CreaturePackHumans</dependency>

A18 version is here

Known Issues

This mod has not had much A19 testing and has so much code we expect you to find issues.

No training guide. Sphereii posted details on each new script that contains lots of info on your xml options. But if your confused, feel free to ask questions here. Well, except questions about egg laying....

Credits

First, thanks to SphereII for creating all the new AI tasks and scripts that make these NPCs possible.

Thanks to DarkStarDragon for joining in this project and adding his own NPCs to this mod.

And a shout out to Mumpfy who edited the base meshes and retextured several of these new entities.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

FINALLY !!!

The best mod ever is out! :D I must try it asap!!!

Quick question. When you say "In xml you can set what the NPCs eat and drink, what they use for a toilet and what they defecate (if you turn that on), whats their home block, what they use for a bed, food containers, etc. Take a look at the xml and read the comments.", do you mean we need to edit xml or it's optional and we can just use the defaults?

You can just use the defaults as that's what we used during testing. If you only want them to drink beer you wouls make that change in xml. The jars not stacking is an artifact of cow things and will be fixed hopefully today.

You can just use the defaults as that's what we used during testing. If you only want them to drink beer you wouls make that change in xml. The jars not stacking is an artifact of cow things and will be fixed hopefully today.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it had such complex possibilities. If you want to go that deep, maybe you could somehow make it so that random characters will have random taste? One would prefer beer, another would need coffee, while some other npc would prefer just water?

Sphereii's SDX code modlets are very flexible and powerful. In testing we only scratched the surface of what's possible. He documented each class which shows how they are used. My NPCs are just samples we used in testing with xml that seems to provide a stable NPC. For example, move the Maslow task before the patrol task and the NPC will often fail to patrol because hes worried about his next meal. So its best to read Sphereiis documentation before changing things.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it had such complex possibilities. If you want to go that deep, maybe you could somehow make it so that random characters will have random taste? One would prefer beer, another would need coffee, while some other npc would prefer just water?

Depending on who uses what, we can add a lot of randomness to the NPCs, even including random skill perk / progression values that make them naturally better at some things.

The issue with giving random tastes is communicating to you what those random tastes are. We touched a bit on the dialog system, but there's more work that needs done. Maybe have an option where you can ask them their preferences and they tell you. Maybe they don't tell you but offer you some context clues? "Dude is always raiding the beer fridge...."

By the way, I was trying to install this mod using mod launcher, but when I wanted to add the dependencies, I couldn't find these in the list:

<dependency>SDX_SpawnFromEntityGroup</dependency>

<dependency>SDX_ItemActions</dependency>

Is it currently only possible to install it using SDX itself?

By the way, I was trying to install this mod using mod launcher, but when I wanted to add the dependencies, I couldn't find these in the list:

<dependency>SDX_SpawnFromEntityGroup</dependency>

<dependency>SDX_ItemActions</dependency>

Is it currently only possible to install it using SDX itself?

They should be available now.

- - - Updated - - -

The NPCs look great:tickled_pink:

But, my empty jars have quality and don't stack...

If it's only me that's having this problem, I'll go find out what I might have done:cower:

Jars should be fixed as well.

They should be available now.

- - - Updated - - -

Jars should be fixed as well.

Thank you, so I decided to go with mod launcher in the end and I can confirm, those two dependencies are already there!

I have a question that just came to my mind though. I love to play with Wandering Traders as well as Bandits, are these mods compatible with this new NPCs mod and if so, what would happen if this friendly NPC met with Bandit? Would they consider each other as enemy? I believe they should, that would be cool!

Thank you, so I decided to go with mod launcher in the end and I can confirm, those two dependencies are already there!

I have a question that just came to my mind though. I love to play with Wandering Traders as well as Bandits, are these mods compatible with this new NPCs mod and if so, what would happen if this friendly NPC met with Bandit? Would they consider each other as enemy? I believe they should, that would be cool!

Look in the Bloom's Animal Husbandry's NPC.xml and see how the Factions are set up. This determines enemy status.

Look in the Bloom's Animal Husbandry's NPC.xml and see how the Factions are set up. This determines enemy status.

Interesting. Do I have to manually set up the relationships in this file then? Because I don't see the traders, bandits or human NPCs in this file.

Interesting. Do I have to manually set up the relationships in this file then? Because I don't see the traders, bandits or human NPCs in this file.

Its an example of how the factions are set up for the animals. You'd have to implement your own faction support, and the bandits would have to use some, but not all, the AI Tasks from the NPC traders for it to work.

• xyth locked this topic