MeanCloud's Fishing A20

psouza4

spacer.png

INTRO & CREDIT:

I spent some time developing a fishing mod of my own since I couldn't get any of the older ones pre-A18 to work. This modlet is inspired by Clockwork Orange's ACP Fishing modlet and I'd like to give him credit. This version adds additional features such as more cooking recipes, multiple manual and automatic fishing tools, schematics/recipe unlocks, perk progressions, etc.

DOWNLOAD & INSTALL:

Alpha 18: MeanCloud__FishingA18_v1.04.zip (version 1.04, 2019-10-28)

Alpha 19: MeanCloud__Fishing_v1.05.zip (version 1.05, 2021-07-22)

Alpha 20: MeanCloud__Fishing_v1.06.zip (version 1.06, 2022-01-02)

Download and extract this modlet to your 7 Days to Die Mods folder.

For Steam users, that's <steamdir>\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods (create 'Mods' if it doesn't exist).

USING THIS MOD:

To get started fishing, look for a fishing spear you can craft. You can make this tool without any unlocks. Find some natural water (bucketed water intentionally won't work) and left-click to start fishing. When you think you've caught something, right-click your tool to gain a fishing cache that you can then place down and destroy to see what you found. For fishing rods, the cache will be attached to your pole automatically when you right-click and then you can right-click some ground to place it.

spacer.png

Better tools are unlocked by looted schematics and the perk system (you can do either depending on your luck). Fishing rods and fishing traps will catch more fish and a variety of other debris that may be in your lakes and rivers.

spacer.png

Fish can be eaten raw like raw meat and also cooked and prepared in a variety of ways. The game has a button that shows all recipes an item can be crafted into (including cooking), so have fun exploring.

spacer.png

To place fishing traps, you must be standing in water and right-click the trap on dry land. The game considers the first block or two of shoreline to still be under water if your water quality video setting is set to High, so you may need to look around until you find a spot that lets you place the trap down. Traps can take take up to an hour (real time) to catch stuff. Once they have, they won't catch anything more until you loot them, so keep an eye on your traps.

spacer.png

If you're looking for recipes and schematics, look anywhere tool schematics (for fishing rods and traps) or food schematics (for recipes) are generally found. For tools, that includes car parts shipping crates, hidden stash cardboard loot, hero loot crates, loot bags from enemies, junk/garbage piles (including trash cans and dumpsters), destroyed lab equipment, various safes (brewery, Shamway, etc.), traders and some quests. For food recipes, try looking for buried treasure map treasure, mailboxes, filing cabinets, kitchen sinks, cupboards, and other kitchen containers (and of course, traders).

NOTE FOR MULTIPLAYER:

The current version of Alpha 20 does not push localization data to users. If you are playing multiplayer (either hosting or via dedicated server), each player will need to install the fishing mod themselves to get the proper descriptions of items, buffs, perks, etc. that this mod changes.

TESTERS:

This is my first big mod -- looking for people to test and provide details of any bugs or issues, or simply want to give feedback on their experiences with the mod such as game balance. I wanted to provide an active task that players could perform that would guarantee them food since we have so many other active tasks like mining, woodcutting, and combat that gives us most of our other basic materials, but not food (farming is time-gated, scavenging and animal hunting is hugely inconsistent). Be kind and I'll do what I can to support and continue development on this mod.

SUPPORT ME:

PayPal Donation if you enjoyed my work and want to encourage me to do more.

All of my modlets for 7 Days to Die.

Edited by psouza4
Updated to A20 (see edit history)

I would love the red dead redemption sp fishing system in tbh thats very enjoyable. But def enjoying this one all the same

Without an STX mod, that'd be impossible. STX can be a pain for some people to install so I'm sticking with modlets. I did get some better animations going for the next update though.

Hello psouza4!

I just tested with Alpha 18 B149 and it works! Only tested in God Mode. Please note that it does take about 2 seconds to be able to right click when using the spear to obtain the fishing cache. From my POV I would think the processes would be reversed in that with a spear you would have to remove the fish (cache) from the spear, whereas with the fishing pole, you could remove and drop into a container (cache).

Now we can FISH!!! Thanks and have a nice day!

Please note that it does take about 2 seconds to be able to right click when using the spear to obtain the fishing cache.
This is intentional to add some pacing to the process or else you could just spam your mouse buttons for very quick fishing caches.

From my POV I would think the processes would be reversed in that with a spear you would have to remove the fish (cache) from the spear, whereas with the fishing pole, you could remove and drop into a container (cache).
It's a good point that makes sense, but because of how animations are tied to different item classes, if I want the spear to actually move and animate properly, I can't make use of the ExchangeItem class like the fishing rods do. Conversely, I can't make the fishing rods animate up and down when you use them if I use the DynamicMelee class like the fishing spear does. Unless I create my own animations and release this as an SDX mod, I have to work around the built-in animation limitations from the base game.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying it and it's working for you so far!

Playing now with a friend of mine. my friend has unlocked 2 points in Living of the Land but can't craft the fishing pole. are we missing something? we are splitting up our points so he is the one putting points there. it just shows the PERK button instead of craft.

im the one hosting the game, can that be the problem? or do i also need the schematic?

I think after removing the fishing mod, your save game will revert back to level 1 with everythings gone..

Not sure do you get the same issue as me?

This can happen with any mod that alters progression. Removing a cvar or buff that you learned effectively wipes your player data. Same goes for quests. Changing or removing quests can wipe your data because there is info in there that no longer exists. Been this way since 17.

Great work on this sousza. Its been implemented beautifully and we are enjoying it a lot. Look forward to your future work.

Playing now with a friend of mine. my friend has unlocked 2 points in Living of the Land but can't craft the fishing pole. are we missing something? we are splitting up our points so he is the one putting points there. it just shows the PERK button instead of craft.

im the one hosting the game, can that be the problem? or do i also need the schematic?

You found a bug in my mod. I fixed it with version 1.02, so please update. You may need to give your friend the schematic for free to fix the progression since the game won't register any changes with your perks (it doesn't back-fill recipes you should know from mods).

This can happen with any mod that alters progression. Removing a cvar or buff that you learned effectively wipes your player data. Same goes for quests. Changing or removing quests can wipe your data because there is info in there that no longer exists. Been this way since 17.

Great work on this sousza. Its been implemented beautifully and we are enjoying it a lot. Look forward to your future work.

Jax is right, there's no way to adjust this behavior. Thanks for the kudos, too Jax.

Version 1.02 has been uploaded with a few fixes (fishing anywhere during rainy weather, perk progression unlocks for fishing rods) and new stuff (prawns added, new images for some foods).

You found a bug in my mod. I fixed it with version 1.02, so please update. You may need to give your friend the schematic for free to fix the progression since the game won't register any changes with your perks (it doesn't back-fill recipes you should know from mods).

yep this worked!

updated and booted up today and cheated in the recipe. and now we can fish! thanks :D

Mod updated to v1.04:

• Added Surf & Turf, a new food recipe (including recipe schematic)
  • Rebalanced foods (base 4% chance to get sick before your perks, to be consistent with the game)
  • Rebalanced fishing nets and swapped their perk progression order with fine fishing rods
  • Updated fishing spears so they can be scrapped
  • Reduced the amount of rotten flesh that scrapping rotten fish yield
  • Reduced the amount of fishing rods found when looting cars
  • Updated vinegar to stack to 15
  • Updated and refined all the item icons

• 2 weeks later...
  • psouza4 changed the title to MeanCloud's Fishing A20