Rabbit Of Caerbannog

doughphunghus

This modlet adds a very powerful, feral rabbit. Run Away! Run Away!

My main modlet page, where this modlet can be found: Doughs Modlets

Also: Made an additional "Spawns-A-Lot" modlet for increased spawning rates of this rabbit, if you wish to load it as well.

This is a silly mod, that is even sillier since caves have been temporarily removed from the game...

For those unfamiliar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

The rabbit was supposed to have a chance to spawn only in caves and violently patrol a small area (killing everything near it), but caves have been removed from the game (temporarily I hope). Currently the rabbit has a chance of spawning in certain gamestages as part of the horde and has a much larger "patrol area" if it's still alive when the night is over. Once caves return I'll likely remove it from spawning in the horde unless people indicate they like it to be in the hordes. I don't know how hordes generate with the "probability" so i guess its likely to get several of these on certain horde nights.

I haven't tested it really well to see how it behaves in a real game. I do know that its small, fast, and hard to kill if you can manage it.

Feedback is welcomed!

UPDATE 2020-07-05: Tested for a19. No changes needed (It ?seems? the game AI makes it a bit less willing to hunt you down ruthlessly than a18)

UPDATE 2020-01-25: Release notes for v2.0.1:

- Minor tweak to jump at you from farther away. Was supposed to be in v2.0.0 :(

UPDATE 2020-01-25: Release notes for v2.0.0:

- Works properly in a18.3. May not work well in previous game versions (not tested)

- Rabbit now attacks

- Rabbit now jumps

- Rabbit now eats your flesh after you die.

- Added Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (modified from Khelldons version).

Modifications to it are: Cannot loot item, must craft from flesh chunk from a killed Rabbit of Caerbannog. Grenade explosion radius dropped a little to avoid frame rate loss. Made item ID unique so if you want both Khelldons grenade and this mod you can load them both.

UPDATE 2020-01-14: Discovered that Khelldon has already created a modlet for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! The original modlet does not work well in a18 due to changes in modlet format, so the repo it was in has been forked and the Holy Hand Grenade updated to work with a18 (it works, but needs a little more work). The forked repo with the modlet can be found here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7d2dModlets

UPDATE 2020-01-01: Release notes for v1.0.2:

- Rabbit now has a proper texture. Thanks to Mumpfy for creating the white rabbit texture and Mjoelnir.hh for merging the texture into Textures.unity3d and providing help on how to use it.

If anyone knows how to make a "white rabbit" skin (with some blood on its mouth?) to add to this mod I would be thrilled :)

Since I can't get custom textures/materials to get loaded for Zed's and animals for now, I used these 2 ways:

1. Replacing the texture/material in the resources.assets file.

I use that method only if I play SP games since it would be a pain to provide that big file to everyone just for such small changes. Anyway...

2. Just linking another texture/material to the rabbit, one which is already in the game:

<property name="ReplaceMaterial0" value="Materials/RadiatedUMA"/>

^^That's what I use for my killer rabbit and it looks like that in game:

hAj14ZC.jpg

If you want to see it in normal size just let me know. ;)

Not that easy to find a fitting texture/material but some are looking cool.

Some more examples:

APBSuaN.jpg

mSUwhkL.jpg

Anyway.... for now "solution" 2 is what I use until I figured out if and how it is possible to load custom textures for Zed's and Animals from your modfolder.

Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks for the ideas! And it's only 1 line of XML!

I'll mess with it this weekend and hopefully patch the mod with a better texture. One one hand I kinda like the "dangeress-ness" of having a completely normal looking killer rabbit(s) running around, but on the other hand, it's almost too annoying to be like that until caves come back and I can spawn them only in caves...which they'll probably just hop out of. I love the look of the "zombie bear?" skin, especially since you would expect that to be attacking you if it were running around anywhere. Given the possibilities of existing re-skins, maybe have a few types of killer rabbits....hmmm

For those interested:

I was able to find a way to make it white (well PURE WHITE, no rabbit-y texture) using this:

<property name="ReplaceMaterial0" value="particleeffects/models/materials/radius"/>

It looks like this:

https://github.com/doughphunghus/Doughs-RabbitOfCaerbannog/blob/master/RabbbitOfCaerbannog_v1.0.1.png

This will likely have to do for now for this particular mod as I tried several of the "white" textures I can find in the vanilla XML (the best was the "screamer") but for this particular rabbit, the whiter and fluffier the better. I liked several of the other textures but I'm going to save them for some other animal mods I'm mulling over. Anyone want to fight a flock of tiny zombie sparrows?

Also, a shout out to:

- Mjoelnir.hh for pointing me to the right direction with working examples (Thanks!)! ...which led me to trying to find out the "whitest" texture in the game XML that worked the best (the screamer) ...which led me to searching for a mods with more textures ...which led to Robeloto's "RobelotoCustomZombiesV201" mod with a "white snake" in it

If anyone knows of a "full list" of the game materials that can be used for replacements like this I would be eternally grateful ;) I'm using Ubuntu and all the tools I've seen for looking into the game assets are windows only. I haven't tried Wine or anything to get past this. All my mods are still baby steps for me.

Finally figured out how to add custom skins to animals.

You've to create the texture in a graphics program of your choice (e.g. Photoshop, Gimp or whatever).

Then you've to create a Material out of it in the UnityEditor. I named it Rabbit.

Save it as Asset-Bundle and then you can load it like you are loading your textures now, just from your new created Asset-Bundle.

Example:

Folder structure:

EHvmOCS.png

In the Resource folder is my new created AssetBundle named: ZTextures.unity3d

And loading the texture is as easy as before:

<property name="ReplaceMaterial0" value="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTextures.unity3d?Rabbit"/>

Final result:

vMB7aG3.jpg

Don't mind the bad texture and reflection, it's just made within of 5mins to show how it works.

That looks much better with some sort of "face" :) Without it (just plain white) my first inclination is to think something is messed up with the game. How do you know what size/shape to make the texture, where to put the eyes, etc?

I extracted the original game textures and worked with them.

Aww, that's adorable:tickled_pink: A wandering horde with those bunnies would be a nightmare come true:love:

I tried his mod and yeah, it would be a nightmare, believe me!

His rabbit is much more aggressive than the one I made and its (no) fun to meet it. :)

i want this mod, ill make a texture if you apply it Mjoelnir.hh

Sure Mumpfy, you helped me a lot to understand the Unity things so, go ahead.

But I also have to say that I don't want to hijack this topic of doughphunghus because he made a great job with his rabbit.

I bet you know what I mean.

@doughphunghus if you have questions regarding the extraction or creating of the textures, feel free to contact me.

well all i mean is i can do some texture, i mean lol i have it already, but i dont want to go and do all the explaining on how to use them and all the xmls part so i can share it, give you or doughphunghus the maps. i just said you because im not sure he will know how to use them and assamble them and you were already helping him, thats all.

dont mean to step over original modder either.

OggOMyW.png

LZceqan.png

UOy9byT.png

Hijacking/stepping is fine by me, esp. if its helping getting something more "useable" and fun to use in-game! Mumpfy: I love the bloodthirsty rabbit and don't mind adding it at all :)

The mod is on github so if anyone wanted to clone it, make changes, and submit a merge request I'll merge it (if that's easier). Using git/github is kinda a pain if you're not used to it but I can put up some basic instructions if anyone wants them. Optionally: if someone put the needed files(s) or literally just fixed the mod and put it somewhere to download, I'll do the merging, updating, etc. I haven't tested it too much and that's still a "to do" on my part. I'm wanting to get it to jump at you (like a spider zombie?) and show up "randomly" in hordes, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too strong if more than 1 of these appear. I do want "running away" to be the best option if you can't fight it.

Also: I'm very open if anyone has feedback, options, anything on making this rabbit "something that's fun to have" vs "an annoying bullet sponge". I just wanted a killer rabbit in there somewhere

Also:

I tried extracting textures with the UABE tool found on this forum, and I believe it's buggy (on Linux, as it's a Windows tool I'm running through Wine) as the UABE "filter" option, which I believe exports the asset files natively for Unity to import, just causes UABE to crash. Maybe I'm not using the right version of Unity, or something needs to be in my PATH. I'm really not sure. All I can get it to export is .dat files, some of which identify the "image files" as some type of .pcx format, which my Unity cannot understand. For Unity, I'm so lost its sad. I've watched a tutorial and its going to take a lot more for me to be able to mess with it (I'm far behind on knowing how to build/assemble anything in it). Lots of new terms, ideas, etc. I normally don't deal with. All of the graphics work I've ever done has been "mess around in GIMP until something works" :). Anyway, mjoelnir.hh, I'll take you up on your offer once I've fought it a little more and finished up more tutorials and have a better "unity environment" set up on my system. I might try to revive a Windows laptop I have to see if it "just works better" on there. But, per above, if anyone has time to help out with the graphics, I'll happily get it added in and update the mod

Hijacking/stepping is fine by me, esp. if its helping getting something more "useable" and fun to use in-game! Mumpfy: I love the bloodthirsty rabbit and don't mind adding it at all :)

The mod is on github so if anyone wanted to clone it, make changes, and submit a merge request I'll merge it (if that's easier). Using git/github is kinda a pain if you're not used to it but I can put up some basic instructions if anyone wants them. Optionally: if someone put the needed files(s) or literally just fixed the mod and put it somewhere to download, I'll do the merging, updating, etc. I haven't tested it too much and that's still a "to do" on my part. I'm wanting to get it to jump at you (like a spider zombie?) and show up "randomly" in hordes, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too strong if more than 1 of these appear. I do want "running away" to be the best option if you can't fight it.

Also: I'm very open if anyone has feedback, options, anything on making this rabbit "something that's fun to have" vs "an annoying bullet sponge". I just wanted a killer rabbit in there somewhere

Also:

I tried extracting textures with the UABE tool found on this forum, and I believe it's buggy (on Linux, as it's a Windows tool I'm running through Wine) as the UABE "filter" option, which I believe exports the asset files natively for Unity to import, just causes UABE to crash. Maybe I'm not using the right version of Unity, or something needs to be in my PATH. I'm really not sure. All I can get it to export is .dat files, some of which identify the "image files" as some type of .pcx format, which my Unity cannot understand. For Unity, I'm so lost its sad. I've watched a tutorial and its going to take a lot more for me to be able to mess with it (I'm far behind on knowing how to build/assemble anything in it). Lots of new terms, ideas, etc. I normally don't deal with. All of the graphics work I've ever done has been "mess around in GIMP until something works" :). Anyway, mjoelnir.hh, I'll take you up on your offer once I've fought it a little more and finished up more tutorials and have a better "unity environment" set up on my system. I might try to revive a Windows laptop I have to see if it "just works better" on there. But, per above, if anyone has time to help out with the graphics, I'll happily get it added in and update the mod

I don't have so much time today and I'm out of the house later until Sunday, otherwise I would have made a video for you to explain each step I did.

If you want I can still do it once I'm back home.

I can also upload all original game textures if extracting is a problem on your end, just let me know what you prefer.

I uploaded an updated version of your mod to one of my Google-Drives and sent you the link in a PM.

Let me know what you think. ;)

well i sent soemthnig to Mjoelnir.hh so hope to see this evolving, keep it up.

As said above, not so much time today but the first tests are looking cool in my eyes (great texture btw!):

42VeOGU.jpg

...well i sent soemthnig to Mjoelnir.hh so hope to see this evolving, keep it up.

...I uploaded an updated version of your mod to one of my Google-Drives and sent you the link in a PM. Let me know what you think. ;)

...Mjoelnir.hh provided the .unity.3d file to me and I've updated the mod on github. Check it out and let me know if it needs any tweaking!

upvote.gif

• 3 weeks later...

That's weird. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!

Since it was originally supposed to be "guarding" a cave it has a pretty small "sense radius", and it *should* attack you if you attack it.

Also: I was also thinking of updating it and adding the Holy Hand Grenade (it already exists in another modlet). Thinking if you can kill the rabbit once you can loot it for something unique to the modlet like "Caerbannog Blood" or heart/eye or something unique. Then you can craft 1 Holy Hand Grenade from that special part so when you find another rabbit you can use the grenade.

That's weird. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!

Since it was originally supposed to be "guarding" a cave it has a pretty small "sense radius", and it *should* attack you if you attack it.

Also: I was also thinking of updating it and adding the Holy Hand Grenade (it already exists in another modlet). Thinking if you can kill the rabbit once you can loot it for something unique to the modlet like "Caerbannog Blood" or heart/eye or something unique. Then you can craft 1 Holy Hand Grenade from that special part so when you find another rabbit you can use the grenade.

Cooll, thx, it makes sounds and come to me, but dont bite or attack. and yes cool idea. i have the holy working in my mod too ;) .

I added the Holy grenade last night (made some small changes to it, made it only craft-able using flesh from a Caerbannog rabbit and other stuff so you kill one, you can craft one or two more, etc.), and tried getting the rabbit to attack and nothing I tried worked! Something weird and unknown to me has changed in the latest version of the game. I'm going to overhaul the rabbit XML (better document how I make it) and do more testing tonight. Hopefully I can get a working version out this weekend.

FYI: I'm making the Holy Hand Grenade item in my mod "unique" so if you have another Holy Hand Grenade mod loaded (that can be looted, etc) they can both co-exist. It might be a bit weird that they both may behave differently (I dropped the explosion radius by 10 blocks due to it freezing the game for a a few seconds on explosion. I'll put it back if it feels too "weak")

I added the Holy grenade last night (made some small changes to it, made it only craft-able using flesh from a Caerbannog rabbit and other stuff so you kill one, you can craft one or two more, etc.), and tried getting the rabbit to attack and nothing I tried worked! Something weird and unknown to me has changed in the latest version of the game. I'm going to overhaul the rabbit XML (better document how I make it) and do more testing tonight. Hopefully I can get a working version out this weekend.

FYI: I'm making the Holy Hand Grenade item in my mod "unique" so if you have another Holy Hand Grenade mod loaded (that can be looted, etc) they can both co-exist. It might be a bit weird that they both may behave differently (I dropped the explosion radius by 10 blocks due to it freezing the game for a a few seconds on explosion. I'll put it back if it feels too "weak")

will wait for it ;)

You're just in time. I just updated it. It should work now!

I believe that the issue is that the way "timid" animals and "hostile" animals was changed slightly. For some reason if I made it the proper "rabbit" class it stopped attacking. Changed it to a generic class, and kinda also gave it an overhaul. It now jumps (like a spider zombie), but sometimes it looks a little weird as the rabbit model was not really made for jumping like that. It looked "right" about 1/2 of the time it jumped. the other 1/2 it jumped while it was standing up and looking :)

You're just in time. I just updated it. It should work now!

I believe that the issue is that the way "timid" animals and "hostile" animals was changed slightly. For some reason if I made it the proper "rabbit" class it stopped attacking. Changed it to a generic class, and kinda also gave it an overhaul. It now jumps (like a spider zombie), but sometimes it looks a little weird as the rabbit model was not really made for jumping like that. It looked "right" about 1/2 of the time it jumped. the other 1/2 it jumped while it was standing up and looking :)

:encouragement::encouragement: Many thx.

Archived