StayClear (No Sleeper Respawn) [18.3 tested]

ExtremeLurker

UPDATE: A20 version here

UPDATE: A19 version here

This is one of the first and only mods I've made. I've never liked the sleeper respawns. I know they're necessary for public multiplayer servers, but I only play single player and private multiplayer servers with one or two other people, and I'd always thought it would be really fun to try to clear out towns, building by building. Besides, it detracts from the realism a bit for me how buildings are always refilling.

I really wanted there to be some XML setting for this, but it was never added, and me and my friends wanted to be able to clear towns so much that this was one of the main driving forces of me learning how to mod the game.

I know this was done before, but the other version stopped working and seems to be no longer maintained. The other version relied on IL modifications, whereas my version is a much more simple change and should be more resilient to updates. I've used it in all versions of alpha 18 with no issues on single player and a dedicated linux server.

Download this mod for A18

This mod requires DMT in order to use it. If you don't know how to use DMT, watch this short video guide or visit the forum thread.

If you encounter any issues or need any help, please let me know!

If you like, support my modding efforts via PayPal or ko-fi

Updates

v1.1.0

- Adjusted the code such that if the mod is removed, sleepers will be able to respawn in POIs cleared while the mod was installed

- Tested on A18.4

Edited by ExtremeLurker (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick one, if i was using this mod...then i wanted to go back to normal , is there anything i need to do ? cos i been using it for a while , i launched the game like normal with out DMT and took the mod out of the mods folder , but for some reason there not respawning back in buildings.

Just a quick one, if i was using this mod...then i wanted to go back to normal , is there anything i need to do ? cos i been using it for a while , i launched the game like normal with out DMT and took the mod out of the mods folder , but for some reason there not respawning back in buildings.

Hey there. If you stop using the mod, sleepers will respawn normally in newly cleared POIs after removing the mod. However, POIs that you cleared while using the mod will not spawn again for a ridiculous amount of time. I had not accounted for this. I will make an update to fix this so that if you stop using it it will behave just as normal. Once I update it, you will have to revisit the POIs again, then remove the mod, and then if you don't visit them again for several days (can't remember the number off the top of my head), they'll respawn as normal. If having to revisit the POIs you want to re-enable again is a very serious problem for you, I can make you a special mod that you can use in place of this mod to fix your specific issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've released an update so that the above issue will be fixed. If there are those with a concern for removing the mod sometime on a world they've been playing on, I suggest using the new version. It works just like before, but if you remove the mod, POIs that have been cleared with the mod installed will be capable of respawning sleepers.

Thanks very much for the fast response and the speed you fix the mod :very_drunk:

You're welcome. Please note that POIs that you cleared with the old version won't respawn unless you visit them with this version first. So you would visit them with this version, then remove the mod, then after several in game days they would spawn again. As I said, if this would be a problem for you I can create a mod for you that should be able to fix everything.

Hello, I have a quick question. If you use this mod, how does it affect the Clear zombies quest if you already cleared that POI before? Do the sleepers spawn there when you start the quest despite having this mod installed?

Yes, this mod should not affect the clear zombies quests. There is a part of the game code that checks a timer when you enter a POI, and if that timer is expired the sleepers respawn. This mod simply resets that timer each time, so that it never expires. The quests don't utilize that timer.

Ok, so...I am running a server with Darkness Falls installed, which as far as I can tell is already using/including DMT.

Other than just dropping this into the MODS folder, what else do I need to do to make this mod work? It seems like there is another, probably crucial step...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so...I am running a server with Darkness Falls installed, which as far as I can tell is already using/including DMT.

Other than just dropping this into the MODS folder, what else do I need to do to make this mod work? It seems like there is another, probably crucial step...

Hey there. Sorry, I don't use Darkness Falls so I cannot speak with experience in how Darkness Falls works or if it is possible to use this mod with it. This mod requires DMT to use, so you need to download and use the DMT patcher as described here. DMT makes you create a mod folder separate from the 7 days to die install folder, which it uses to apply mods to the game. This would replace any mods installed, so this works fine for people who just use modlets, but not for people running overhauls like Darkness Falls.

If Darkness Falls already has DMT in place, I can update the download so that it includes the compiled version of the mod, in which case you will only have to include it in the mods folder and it should be automatically picked up. I will do this today and post an update when I get to it.

• 4 weeks later...
Darkness Falls uses SDX and DMT mods.

So yes, it's all pre-patched. Just needs a folder with a ModInfo.xml, a Harmony folder and a pre-compiled DLL.

Thanks for that info, was exactly what I was hoping for.

Well I'm terribly sorry I've taken so long, but life's been a little crazy these days. I updated the zip file (download link on the first page) to contain the precompiled DLL files so that users who are using a client that already has DMT applied can just drop it into the mods directory.

Edited by ExtremeLurker (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...