Picture-in-Picture Vanilla Optics Replacer

Sykriss

This modlet replaces the vanilla 2x, 4x, and 8x optics with versions that utilize picture-in-picture rendering for a more modern feeling firearm experience.

Screenshots:

xniArHR.jpg

IusXeMN.jpg

BxOfaxJ.jpg

Ey0utwo.jpg

joMapPA.jpg

Grumnmm.jpg

Video:

Notes:

All replacement scopes have functioning illuminated reticles. The red portions seen in the above screenshots are very visible in low-light conditions.

Performance impact is negligible, at least on my i7 Y500 with SLI 650ms.

Certain weapons have the front sights visible within the optic. Without the use of risers this is unavoidable, but I may release a version that adds risers where needed to remove the front sight from the FOV.

This modlet, and my other 'replacement' modlets, do not actually overwrite any of the vanilla files and can be installed/uninstalled on an existing save with zero ill effects. They should also be compatible with other modlets that alter weapon properties as long as this mod loads first (which is why the names start with AAA).

Installation instructions:

Extract archive to mods folder.

Changelog:

1.0: Initial release

1.01: Minor adjustment to 2x scope materials

1.02: Slightly increased zoom level of 2x scope, minor adjustments here and there.

DOWNLOAD

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Sykriss (see edit history)

I know I'd use them for sure. :listening_headphone

I've set up a github and have all of my mods pushed there so far, and I've sent an email to SphereII to have my modlets added to the launcher. Should be on there soon! This will also be good for future use when I make a consolidated modlet post.

Tried running this on a server me and my friends have and noticed a problem when 2 or more people use the same type of scope.

When 2 people using the same scope zoom we dont see through our own scope but through each others scopes.

Tried running this on a server me and my friends have and noticed a problem when 2 or more people use the same type of scope.

When 2 people using the same scope zoom we dont see through our own scope but through each others scopes.

Interesting. I hadn't done any testing in MP so this is new to me. It probably has something to do with two of the scope 'cameras' existing in the world at the same time and the object references getting confused. Honestly not 100% sure how I'll fix it, might fiddle with the gameObject hierarchies a bit and see what happens.

Edit: I have a theory that might work, though I don't have the means to test it myself; give me a few minutes to package and upload it.

Edit 2: Patch is uploaded, download it HERE. Hopefully this fixes it, if not I think I'll have to get a bit more creative.

Edited by Sykriss (see edit history)

This should be standard for Vanilla. Seriously. You're doin' the lord's work, brother. Awesome, awesome, awesome job! It would be awesome if this could work with all gun scopes across all gun mods.

Thanks! I agree, the vanilla scopes are legitimately pre-2000 era. Lol. After making and using this mod I can't imagine myself going back.

Making other mod scopes PIP would be a collaborative effort between the other mod author and I, as I start by modifying the scope model itself in Blender, then I export it to Unity and build the functional parts of the scope there. So I would need access to the scopes model source file, or have a modified version provided to me. But it's definitely possible! I do plan on making a separate mod from this one in the future that adds some new optics to the game, such as a 6x, a holographic, and some others, but I wanted to get the vanilla replacer mod out first as a foundation to build upon (didn't want to add *new* nice PIP scopes that would clash with the vanilla ones). Can't say exactly when though :p

Nice job on these. I added extra cameras in the game on modlets like the CCTV modlet and cutscenes in WinterProject, so I know the issues that can come up with using them. Have you tested how time of day effects the viewer screens brightness? What's the FPS impact of using each scope? On your 8x scope, the narrow rendering angle will minimize any fps issues, but on the lesser magnifications you may notice a small hit. If the brightness changes on the scope, you can mitigate that somewhat by not rendering certain layers on the cameras. I noticed your using the default unity setting for the culling mask, which caused me issues until I adjusted that on the CCTV cams. Anyway, great job, and if you do have issues later just ping me and I can give you some additional info.

Nice job on these. I added extra cameras in the game on modlets like the CCTV modlet and cutscenes in WinterProject, so I know the issues that can come up with using them. Have you tested how time of day effects the viewer screens brightness? What's the FPS impact of using each scope? On your 8x scope, the narrow rendering angle will minimize any fps issues, but on the lesser magnifications you may notice a small hit. If the brightness changes on the scope, you can mitigate that somewhat by not rendering certain layers on the cameras. I noticed your using the default unity setting for the culling mask, which caused me issues until I adjusted that on the CCTV cams. Anyway, great job, and if you do have issues later just ping me and I can give you some additional info.

Thanks for the feedback :) I haven't tested time of day specifically, but I didn't notice any huge differences in my personal testing between day and night. All three scopes are only using a 512x512 render texture that's only active when the player ADS, so the FPS impact is minimal (I did the majority of my testing on a Y500 with a i7 3630QM, 16GB ram and 2x 650Ms). I've considered offering versions with different render texture resolutions to tailor the FPS impact to the users needs, but nobody has said anything about a large FPS hit, so I haven't :p I also did a little shader wizardry to both anti-alias the rendertexture and give the scopes a little parallax effect. I experimented a little bit with the culling layers, but I didn't run into any big issues that required me to go back to them, so I left them at default.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after 18.4 I can't get this mod or a few of your others to work on my dedicated server despite the fact it still works fine in SP and your firearms mod does. (and all of them worked on 18.3)

Vanilla Firearms Mod appears to be working without any issues, however, the following don't work at all anymore on my server post 18.4, just offline.

Picture-in-Picture mod

RMR pistol mod

Vanilla AK rework

and obviously all the compatibility files associated with the above.

This is really a shame as these are some of my favorite mods, any idea on how to get them working online again like in SP? was hoping for an update but it's been a bit so not sure if the issue is known.

• 2 weeks later...
So, after 18.4 I can't get this mod or a few of your others to work on my dedicated server despite the fact it still works fine in SP and your firearms mod does. (and all of them worked on 18.3)

Vanilla Firearms Mod appears to be working without any issues, however, the following don't work at all anymore on my server post 18.4, just offline.

Picture-in-Picture mod

RMR pistol mod

Vanilla AK rework

and obviously all the compatibility files associated with the above.

This is really a shame as these are some of my favorite mods, any idea on how to get them working online again like in SP? was hoping for an update but it's been a bit so not sure if the issue is known.

same problem here

Firearms, PIP, RMR and PIP/RMR Patch

Doesnt work anymore

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently trying to update this to A19. The mod is loading fine, the scope are also "working", but I am having a lot of trouble aligning the scopes and the camera correctly, basically doing it by trial and error.

Does anyone know how to properly modify the "ScopeOffset" and "ScopeCameraOffset" values, rather than blindly experimenting?

item_modifiers.xml

On 27.08.2020 at 14:54, Lorelando said:

Сейчас я пытаюсь обновить его до A19. Мод загружается нормально, прицел тоже «работает», но у меня много проблем с правильным выравниванием прицелов и камеры, в основном делаю это методом проб и ошибок.

Кто-нибудь знает, как правильно изменить значения "ScopeOffset" и "ScopeCameraOffset", а не слепо экспериментировать?

item_modifiers.xml 14.14 kB · 2 загрузок

I am also trying to work on a mod. everything turns out badly but it's very hard work how did you manage to do it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, Chanster111 said:

As of alpha 19.1, by changing the weapons name in your xml to match what is in the game now, got all but the 9mm pistol and new weapons to work without changing values.

That said I didn't know about this mod in A18, and as such didn't use it in that version.

But sure wish I did

Got a file for the fix that you can share?