Using 16.4 World Generator as a Modlet.

Quazy69

Me and a few friends love 16.4. but i hated the world generation system. (polkadotted biomes and flatland are unimmersive) so i picked apart the RWG/biomes/spawning. to create a natural looking random gen world.

20190923152617_1.jpg.bb25b9e077fe14f2ecad57aa64eccf7e.jpg

then applied biomes based on elevation in this world. except for the most dangrous lower biomes which i managed to make mesh together into a smooth mass of hostile and deadly lowlands of barren farmlands and scorched earth(♥♥♥♥ rolls downhill) so it made sense that zombies roaming aimlessly would end up in these areas. cities also spawn only at lower elevatiosn with smaller towns able to spawn up in the mountain ranges.

20190926170529_1.jpg.4d4d3d58ad0e6c152ee0801ec8867e32.jpg

water forms naturally from the world gen and now forms sand beaches around the water edge(could use a little more work with subbiomes).

20190926171405_1.jpg.04cad8ca21411df20a53b3563485355f.jpg

I cant take the time to remodify that messed up 17.4 RWG... it generates on so many levels it will take foever to pick it apart and correct the values.

Is there anyway to use a older map in 17.4 or replace the new RWG with the old one? as long as the old biomes can be added back in it should be possible right?

If anyone has the modding experience with 17.4 or making modletts out of the old RWG mixer i woudl appreciate any input.

So you would like to transfer your old map from Alpha 16.4 to Alpha 17.4 which both had much different ways of generating worlds, not only it's probably impossible. It was emphasized that you SHOULD start a new world when Alpha 17 came out as this new Alpha version was a very big leap towards a much more complex gameplay overall, but even Alpha 17.4 is now obsolete. Everyone is playing Alpha 18.3 stable or 18.4 experimental which may not have too many differences in the world generator, but still had some improvements announced if I remember correctly. What's even more important to note though is that there are big world generation improvements announced for Alpha 19. Whatever that means, one thing is very certain, the world generator will go over a great change once again, so world generators in Alpha 16.4, Alpha 17.4, Alpha 18.4 and all smaller Alphas between them will be obsolete by the time Alpha 19 comes out. At this point, I do believe that you already know what is it that I'm trying to tell you. Sorry, but whatever you're trying to achieve seems to be a big waste of time. If you do enjoy Alpha 16.4, I suggest you to just play Alpha 16.4 and wait for Alpha 19 and see if you like its world generation more when it's released.

Definitely not possible. Best you could do is gen the map in a16, visit all areas and copy the .rg files over and HOPE it works.

In Alpha 17+, most POIs were reworked, some of them were turned into mini dungeons. What would happen if he pre-generated the map in Alpha 16.4 and visited the whole map and then tried to open it in Alpha 17.4 which has completely new POIs? I guess it wouldn't work either. I mean, if he visited the POIs in Alpha 16.4, old versions of the POIs would be saved, then he would visit the same POIs in Alpha 17.4, what version of the POIs would the game show? The old one that was saved within the map files or the new one which is the only one that is available in the new game files? That sounds like a big trouble right there.

Yeah i can see how just pulling map data into the new update would be a no go.

The other idea was to use the older terrain/biome and cell rules from my modified RWG threw a modlet. (not sure if thats what u call it) allowing the newer virsions to spawn their poi's and all the other good stuff.

I dont want the old content. just want the terrain generator.

Archived