[MODLET] Baby Animals

Iceburg71

I like variety, so I created this modlet (with help from the community, thanks everyone). It adds "baby" animals to the game.

Inspired from Khelldon's Baby Bear mod.

Basically, every animal in the game has a "baby" version (no chickens and no rabbits because they would be SO small). They are smaller, so harder to see and can hide under larger animals easier (wolfpacks can be interesting). They do less damage and drop less on harvest (pretty sure this is working correctly now).

It adds some variety and fun to the game. Let me know if there are any issues anyone sees.

Thoughts, issues, and criticism welcome. This is my first Modlet!

Server side friendly so you can just drop it in and surprise your friends!

Version 1.2 is for Alpha 18.

Version 1.4 is for Alpha 19.

Version 1.0

- Initial Release

Version 1.1 - March 24, 2020

- Naming standards incorporated for uniqueness and less chance of interference with other mods

- Fixed Baby Bears instant death when spawned

Version 1.2 - April 23, 2020

- More specific characteristics for each animal including ranges, buffs, entity damage, block damage.

Version 1.3 - August 29, 2020

- Updated for Alpha 19!

- Added Baby Zombie Vultures.

- Added Radiated Baby Zombie Vultures.

Version 1.4 - November 12, 2020

- Removed Baby zombie vulture from the bears group (how did that get there???? LOL)

- BIG change in the code to allow more dynamic assigning of all of the animals to all of their proper groups.  Adding them to the groups is no longer tied to group name.

- All animals will now appear when and where ever their parents can appear.  This includes GAME STAGES and HORDES!

Version 1.6 - November 27, 2020

- corrected some values on some of the animals that were to low.

- updated some of the animal configs to match A19 animals.

- bug fix on the baby zombie bear (i think it was that one).

IceBurg_Baby_Animals_1_2.zip

IceBurg_Baby_Animals_1_6.zip

Thanks to whoever added this mod to the 7daystodiemods.com site. I was just logging in to submit it there for approval. Thanks so much. and including a picture was nice. Saved me some time so i can keep working on my next mod. I have another idea I think would be neat.

I'm going to load this and try it out. I glanced at the XML and saw "baby snake" and I can't resist ;)

Since you're requesting "Thoughts, issues, and criticism" and plan on making more modlets, I see 1 possible thing you may want to do for future modlets. Please excuse the length of this post, I'm a bit wordy as I'm trying to be as clear as possible :)

Summary: You might want to choose a unique prefix string to add to all of the new items/entities/blocks/etc you create in any new modlets. You don't have to do it, and its likely no big deal if you don't, but it might save you from having your modlet clash with other modlets (and you cannot control what others name inside their modlets).

Modders: If I'm wrong about this or this is "out of date info" please correct me! I'm still fairly new to modding this game myself.

Detailed rationale:

Somewhere on the forums ( I couldn't find it, sorry. Maybe someone can! ) there is a post that talks about how to make a modlet, and some recommendations on "standards" people should use. The things in this post are not set in stone, just recommendations, and I don't follow all of it myself :).

The main thing I see to watch out for is this scenario: Imagine someone loads your modlet, then they load 1,000 other modlets from other people. It's possible that someone else may have named something (an item, an entity, or an entire modlet) the *exact same* thing that you named your item, entity, etc. When this happens, there is a conflict and *I think *the item/entity/etc that is loaded first is the one that loads and the second item/entity/etc one will not load. As an example: Say someone else had an "animalBabyDeer" entity_class in their modlet

To avoid this scenario, you would have to make your items/entities/etc "unique" from everyone else's. The easiest way to do that is to add a "prefix" string to the name of all your items/entities/etc that no one else would likely use. I believe the "standards" post said to make this "prefix string" the name of your modlet, or a shortened version of it.

So, using your modlet "IceBurg - Baby Animals" (as written in the ModInfo.xml, not the name of the zip file), you have a lot of options you *could* choose. For example, you could choose a "prefix" string of:

"IceBurg - Baby Animals" or

"IceBurg_Baby_Animals" or

"IIBGBabyAnimls" or

"2398y0e9fhgwep9uh034gt9" <- I advise against this, but you could if you really wanted to!

These strings are pretty long (and have spaces, dashes, etc) , and I see you've chosen a "XML tag" in you rmodlet of "<BabyAnimals>", so maybe: "IceBurg_BabyAnimals" is the "suggested" standard prefix to use. Its still prety long, and I have several "long named" modlets, so I went against the grain and chose how Khelldon did it, which is choosing the prefix to be my user name which would be "doughphunghus"..... ewwww I'm not using that ....I found that too long for my personal liking, so I finally settled on "doughs" as my prefix string. Its *probably* good enough, but someone else *could* also choose it as it's not super unique to me. It works for me for now

This means most of (I hope) my items/entities/etc that I create start with "doughs". Some examples:

<item name="doughsResourceSteelPipeBombParts"> ...

<item name="doughsThrownAmmoPipeBombSteel"> ...

<entity_class name="doughsAnimalRabbbitOfCaerbannog" ....

Another note: I believe if you change the names of your existing items/blocks/entities/etc it can possibly break (or cause issues) in peoples games who have your old modlet loaded, then upgrade to the new one (with changed names). I think it's more of an issue with blocks and items (someone may have had your old item in their backpack...and if the name changes it will disappear from the backpack I think as it no longer exists under the old name), and stuff like entities will just be cleaned up without too much issues (not too sure of this). The point I'm trying to make is: It is likely good practice that once you choose a name of an item/block/entity/etc in your modlets, try to keep that name "forever". If you have to change them after people have downloaded your modlet(s), make a note people can see the old modlet is not compatible with the new one. I'm sure there's a better recommendation on what to do I'm just at a loss of whats the "recommended way to handle renaming of things"

WOW!!! Thanks for all those tips. I can see the point to each one. I am making changes to my modlet now and will release a new version. Naming standards will be in place for anything I create going forward and will be "more unique".

I am going with as a standard and example: animalIceBurgBabyDeer, animalIceBurgBabyMountainLion, etc.

I would like to keep the first "word" of the name of the object the same as the default for the game. That i think will help me keep things straight in my mind. But adding my gamer name to the name of that object right after that, then the name of the new object after that.

Do you see any issues doing it that way? I think it covers all the bases you talk about, and keeps me thinking straight on things.

Thanks again for the great feedback. it is truly appreciated.

I know this modlet is kind of silly, but it is fun seeing different sized animals. And animal packs are more interesting as well. Baby Zombie Dogs crack me up.

Do you see any issues doing it that way?

Nope :), it should be unique enough as far as I can see

I know this modlet is kind of silly,

The more the merrier! I have an unreleased/unfinished "drugs mod" where the whole point of it was "if you're searching peoples houses, you're gonna find their drugs... and do you really want to take some unknown drugs in the zombie apocalypse?" I made a lot of the drug effects random, so sometimes you got a buff (like run faster) sometime you died (or almost died if you could heal yourself). There's a "fall down" effect and I'd have it make you randomly pass out and lay there after taking the "unknown" drugs. (like in 10 minutes, real time, passes before the fall down effects kick in) It was fun because you forgot you took something, you're fighting a zombie hoard... and then you fall down to take a nap for a little while. I might finish it and put it out there when a19 comes out, but it's really a mess right now.

I also put out a "mail" mod where you find all sorts of stuff in people mailboxes. It's literally mostly for fun as most items are useless. I modded the pistol to shoot BB's (it takes like 40 hits to kill a z) , and you can find and play Soduku puzzles as well if you're feeling lucky

Also: I found that "naming standards for modlets" forum post. It's for A17, but it still applies: https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...ntions-for-a17

• 2 weeks later...

NEW VERSION!!!

Changes made are noted in first post.

Bug fix to stop Baby Bears instant death on spawn.

Be Aware of possible directory name change with new naming standards i am using for ALL of my mods now. ( so far only 1, but more planned)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:10 AM, mlburgoon said:

I like variety, so I created this modlet (with help from the community, thanks everyone). It adds "baby" animals to the game.

Inspired from Khelldon's Baby Bear mod.

Basically, every animal in the game has a "baby" version (except vultures because they just SUCK, chickens and rabbits because they would be SO small). They are smaller, so harder to see and can hide under larger animals easier (wolfpacks can be interesting). They do less damage and drop less on harvest (pretty sure this is working correctly now).

It adds some variety and fun to the game. Let me know if there are any issues anyone sees.

Thoughts, issues, and criticism welcome. This is my first Modlet!

Server side friendly so you can just drop it in and surprise your friends!

Version 1.0

- Initial Release

Version 1.1 - March 24, 2020

- Naming standards incorporated for uniqueness and less chance of interference with other mods

- Fixed Baby Bears instant death when spawned

Version 1.2 - April 23, 2020

- More specific characteristics for each animal including ranges, buffs, entity damage, block damage.

IceBurg_Baby_Animals.zip 3.96 kB · 9 downloads

OH go on make baby vultures lol. Dont be so nice to those that use your mod haha lol...

Great work btw

• 5 weeks later...

I know that this mod has some issues with A19.  I want to wait a little for stable, but if it takes much longer, I will update to work with A19.  

On 7/12/2020 at 6:54 PM, kokuojeiku said:

awesome work, a19 version by chance?

Not yet.  there are some issues with it that I know of.  waiting for a more stable A19.  If it takes much longer, I will update it and do any rework needed.

Alpha 19 Version is out.  First post updated with 2 versions now.  1 for alpha 18 (1.2) and 1 for alpha 19 (1.3).

Thanks all, and let me know if you find any issues.

There is a lot more I could do with this like adding the "enemy" animals in to the game stages like they are for the "adult" counterparts, but that is a VERY time intensive task.  I will do it eventually, though.

On 11/13/2020 at 7:02 AM, Iceburg71 said:

New version is out with BIG changes and a bug fix!

Fun mod. Added to my server, although I did edit and make the HP 2000 on the "baby" bears/wolfs/lions, watch out for this little F'ers they will wreak your day

Glad you like it.

I plan on making another mod, or possibly changing this one to add in "teenage" animals as well.  And possibly "feral" versions of all animals.  Feral versions would be a little larger than the adults, and if I can, would have colored eyes like the zombies do.  The next baby animals update though will add in rabbits and chickens with "baby" versions so ALL animals have baby versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so I keep getting these yellow errors and have been ignoring them. I'm using v1.4 Is there  something that can be done to fix them? I looked at the code and I don't really understand the prob and not prob sections.

Spoiler

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.583 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalDoe' and not(@prob='0.73' or @prob='1')]]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.603 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalDoe' and @prob='0.73']]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.674 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalBoar' and @prob='0.73']]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.693 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalBoar' and @prob='0.4']]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.921 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalCoyote' and not(@prob='30')]]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 36.986 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalMountainLion' and not(@prob='40')]]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:03 37.054 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalDireWolf' and not(@prob='10' or @prob='3' or @prob='0.5')]]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:04 37.981 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalZombieVultureRadiated' and not(@prob='0.4' or @prob='0.1' or @prob='0.16' or @prob='0.18' or @prob='0.23' or @prob='0.27' or @prob='0.3')]]" 

2020-11-22T22:53:04 38.097 WRN XML patch for "entitygroups.xml" from mod "IceBurg_Baby_Animals" did not apply: <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[descendant::entity[@name='animalZombieVultureRadiated' and @prob='0.23']]" 

Yeah.  it won't.  Basically what is happening is the way the code is written is a little future proof.  I am trying to append the animal to a proper group, and the game is not finding what I am searching for.  Since what is produced is just a warning and not an actual error, I didn't really worry about it.

Archived