[MOD] Friendly Animals - Friendly animals united against the zombie hordes!

Swiftpaw

Version 4.0 released for A19! See change log below.

Don't ask about changing the core goals of this mod as stated by the description! Use a different mod if you don't like mine!

<<< FRIENDLY ANIMALS MOD >>>

for 7 Days to Die

by Swiftpaw Wolfheart

<<< DESCRIPTION >>>

This mod makes coyotes, wolves, dire wolves, mountain lions, and bears fight zombies too along side you. They are invincible, so run to them for help fighting zombies and hordes!

<<< REQUIREMENTS >>>

FA version 3 requires A18 or A18E

FA4DarknessFalls 2.9 tested with Darkness Falls v2.11 but may work with other versions

FA version 2.5+ requires A17E b221 or A17.X

<<< DOWNLOAD >>>

From MEGA.nz (no account required!):

Friendly Animals 4.0

Friendly Animals 3.2

<<< INSTALLATION >>>

1. Unzip archive.

2. For version 2.7+, place the "FriendlyAnimals" folder inside your Steam Library's "7 Days to Die/Mods" folder.

Note: If you don't know where your Steam Library folder is for the game, you can get to this location by going into Steam, right-clicking 7 Days to Die > Properties > Local Files tab > Browse Local Files

<<< CHANGE LOG >>>

4.0:

* Updated for A19.

3.2:

* Removed anti-friendly animal quests, so you won't get any useless quests any more.

3.1:

* Fixed bug preventing zombie bears, zombie vultures, and zombie dogs from attacking players.

* Zombies still not attacking back after being attacked by non-zombies other than the player as "SetAsTargetIfHurt" won't behave, but once that is figured out, that feature will return.

3.0:

* Initial A18E Compatibility. Lost map compass markers for friendly animals, but they will return as soon as I figure out how to bring them back.

2.9:

* Added Darkness Falls compatibility version. Tested with Darkness Falls v2.11 but may work with other versions.

* Fixed buggy health.

* Fixed general mod compatibility version.

2.8:

* Small Darkness Falls compatibility tweak change.

2.7:

* Added alternate compatibility version which doesn't contain friendly map naming (friendly animals will still appear on the map), but which has improved compatibility with other mods. See installation instructions for more info.

* Added new "entity" tag to align with A17.1 b9 stable.

* Added compatibility with "Darkness Falls" mod

2.6:

* There is now a chance for friendlies to spawn in all biomes using the biome spawner, just like in FA 1.x. They're the most common in forests, but still have a chance at spawning in harsher biomes.

2.5:

* Map marker names of friendlies now more...friendly!

* BreakBlock task removed from non-zombies to avoid them destroying anything important.

* Updated for A17 b221 which changed some values.

* Misc fixes

2.4:

* FA is now using xpath which means it's a simple drop into your Mods folder rather than needing to overwrite entire config files. This makes it more compatible with other mods.

2.3:

* Updated for A17 b208. Xpaths mod version coming soon so these updates will be needed less frequently.

2.2:

* Updated for A17 b199.

2.1:

* Friendly animals will no longer attack snakes.

2.0:

* Mod redone for A17 except for spawning which will come in the future. Xpath, to make the mod more modular so you won't have to overwrite an entire existing xml file, is also planned.

1.5:

* These features are only enabled when replacing entitygroups.xml and spawning.xml:

- Friendly animals will now spawn across all biomes, including deserts and to a lesser degree in cities.

- Wolf pack spawns at least on days 6, 13, and 20.

* Snakes and boars are now timid like stags and other non-zombies.

* All zombies no longer swim, not just human zombies.

* Minor AI task/target fixes.

1.4:

Friendlies are now much more effective and logical when attacking.

Friendlies are faster instead of the same speed as zombies in order to avoid perpetual chases.

1.3:

Friendlies will now attack zombie bears as well.

Enemies will attack friendlies back after being attacked.

Enemies won't attack their own side just as friendlies won't.

1.2:

Friendlies will now attack zombie vultures and zombie dogs.

1.1:

Removed drops and exp from friendlies.

Friendly Animals mod v3.2.zip

Nice, I've been wanting to make wolves friendly at least. I just wish more of the friendlies would spawn. I'd do it myself, but modding spawns is one of those things I don't quite understand...

It's very silly that other animals who are trying to survive just like you would attack you and not be friendable and also attack you relentlessly even with gunfire etc. Spawning adjustment I figured would be for version two since version one is pretty much complete now and fulfills the goals I wanted: wolves and bears being friendly.

Version two can be changing spawning across the zones and having the spawning/group files be optional. I've been trying to decide how to do it exactly and not disrupt the existing difficulty and diversity of the different biomes. Every biome should at the very least have some chance of spawning normal/friendly animals to help you fight the zombies. If it was the same across biomes, then biomes like the desert wouldn't be quite as difficult as its supposed to be, but friendlies spawning is also quite rare anyway (which is another thing that could be changed) so it probably wouldn't make much impact anyway. They did change those files it looks like, but if "respawndelay" being a high number means a lower chance/frequency of spawning then that's easy enough. That's for the biome spawner, there's also the entity spawner which is where, for example, the wolf pack entity group's spawn is defined in the "RoamingHordeSpawnDay" section on days 13 and 20. So my thought is to change all those groups to actual zombie groups but then add in or modify spawners for friendlies. I'll hopefully get some time to play with and test things out soon! ^n.n^

Realistically, I don't think it's that silly, because humans can be just as much of a threat as zombies, or perhaps more so. After all, how many wolves and bears have you gutted for their meat and hide? I would think that, from the animals' POV, humans and zombies are all the same. But maybe humans can get lucky and tame the friendlies. XD

It would also be cool if the blood moon hordes spawned a friendly here and there. Because when the hordes come, it's wolves to the rescue, lol. But that's just an idea.

I like this:

<property name="AITask-6" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" param1="EntityZombie" param2="30"/>
<property name="AITask-7" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" param1="EntityPlayer" param2="25"/>

Living predators will attack players when they come too close, but they hate zombies more. This can create some neat situations. For example might you have a large number of zombies to fight. Go trigger a bear, have it chase you, then run past a zombie, and the bear will let you go and fight the zombie instead.

Realistically, I don't think it's that silly, because humans can be just as much of a threat as zombies, or perhaps more so. After all, how many wolves and bears have you gutted for their meat and hide?

I certainly didn't do any of those things, I'm a wolf and would never hurt my brothers and sisters of course, and everyone has to survive obviously, but pro-social animals bond and try to survive together typically, barring extreme cases and sociopaths and such. Everyone is wary of others at first unless they show signs of being friendly, and not attacking you is definitely one good sign! I hope A17 (if A16 doesn't have it) will allow custom player models so that you can play as a wolf or whatever species you are if you're a therian/were/otherkin/furry like myself.

In the future with the new modding system in A17, making more complex systems like the sharing of food creating social bonds and whatnot could probably become a thing, but for A16 I'm just keeping it fairly simple. ^n.n^

I would think that, from the animals' POV, humans and zombies are all the same. But maybe humans can get lucky and tame the friendlies. XD

Humans are animals, and it's not too difficult to figure out that something is wrong. The smell of death, the sounds, the blood, etc, zombies obviously look pretty dangerous! Obviously that's confirmed, too, when they try to attack you!

It would also be cool if the blood moon hordes spawned a friendly here and there. Because when the hordes come, it's wolves to the rescue, lol. But that's just an idea.

That could certainly be cool, although instead of an event like that, I was hoping more that because they wander around the same area for a while, there'd be a decent chance they'd be around your fortification anyway when the zombie hordes attacked. Would be neat if you could find them, befriend them, and lead them back to your den/base/fortification thingy. One of my mates, a fox, suggested a "wolf vortex" where you'd load a cement mixer full of meat, and the meat would be like "ammo", and a certain number of wolves would show up circling the cement mixer of meat for however long it took to eat the meat, so you could strategically place them and load them up with meat just before a seven day horde showed up! I thought it was an awesome idea for an A17 mod! ^n.n^

I like this:

<property name="AITask-6" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" param1="EntityZombie" param2="30"/>
<property name="AITask-7" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" param1="EntityPlayer" param2="25"/>

Living predators will attack players when they come too close, but they hate zombies more. This can create some neat situations. For example might you have a large number of zombies to fight. Go trigger a bear, have it chase you, then run past a zombie, and the bear will let you go and fight the zombie instead.

Yes, that's how the vanilla game is configured, bears for example attack everyone relentlessly no matter what and don't give you a chance to befriend them. In order to bypass modding in some sort of befriending system so you can team up and work together, the mod simply makes it be the living vs. the dead (barring the living species who still flee such as stags, rabbits, etc).

Yes, that's how the vanilla game is configured, bears for example attack everyone relentlessly no matter what and don't give you a chance to befriend them. In order to bypass modding in some sort of befriending system so you can team up and work together, the mod simply makes it be the living vs. the dead (barring the living species who still flee such as stags, rabbits, etc).
No, vanilla is this:

<property name="AITarget-3" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityPlayer" param2="8"/>
<property name="AITarget-4" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityAnimalStag"/>
<property name="AITarget-5" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityZombie"/>

Vanilla's animals hate people more than zombies.

No, vanilla is this:

<property name="AITarget-3" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityPlayer" param2="8"/>
<property name="AITarget-4" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityAnimalStag"/>
<property name="AITarget-5" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" param1="EntityZombie"/>

Vanilla's animals hate people more than zombies.

So the numbering system there, AITarget-#, is actually the priority of the targeting? I assume if true the same applies to the tasks as well. I thought maybe it was a pointless numbering scheme but it's cool that it actually has a purpose! All I knew is that if you missed a number or had one set to the same number it would break things and do stuff like prevent all tasks from working, etc. I'll take a look at the priorities then for all the targeting and tasks and try to make sure they're set in a sane way. Thanks for the info! ^n.n^

I certainly didn't do any of those things, I'm a wolf and would never hurt my brothers and sisters of course, and everyone has to survive obviously, but pro-social animals bond and try to survive together typically, barring extreme cases and sociopaths and such. Everyone is wary of others at first unless they show signs of being friendly, and not attacking you is definitely one good sign! I hope A17 (if A16 doesn't have it) will allow custom player models so that you can play as a wolf or whatever species you are if you're a therian/were/otherkin/furry like myself.

There is a way to make your own characters to play. This I know because I'm able to play as a character in Valmod, but can't in Ravenhearst. So it seems that it was added, or it may be another way around. I just know in one of my mods I can play as a zombie but can't when I run another (I have multiple files of 7 Days to Die with each one running its own mod). I figure if you can at least make animations for any animal, that it could be placed into one of the files. Thing is, since it'd be a 4 legged creature, all the animations would be different, so there's that, lol. There's probably a bit more to it than that, but it seems feasible currently. It would just be funny to see an animal or something building a house or having a floating bow/gun, lol. Though I'd probably wait till A17 stable releases before doing that, heh.

That could certainly be cool, although instead of an event like that, I was hoping more that because they wander around the same area for a while, there'd be a decent chance they'd be around your fortification anyway when the zombie hordes attacked. Would be neat if you could find them, befriend them, and lead them back to your den/base/fortification thingy. One of my mates, a fox, suggested a "wolf vortex" where you'd load a cement mixer full of meat, and the meat would be like "ammo", and a certain number of wolves would show up circling the cement mixer of meat for however long it took to eat the meat, so you could strategically place them and load them up with meat just before a seven day horde showed up! I thought it was an awesome idea for an A17 mod! ^n.n^

That would be interesting. I'd figure more of like a den. Make it to where you have to dig into a side of a hill or something. Not sure how you would know if you were underground, though. hmmmm.

There is a way to make your own characters to play. This I know because I'm able to play as a character in Valmod, but can't in Ravenhearst. So it seems that it was added, or it may be another way around. I just know in one of my mods I can play as a zombie but can't when I run another (I have multiple files of 7 Days to Die with each one running its own mod). I figure if you can at least make animations for any animal, that it could be placed into one of the files. Thing is, since it'd be a 4 legged creature, all the animations would be different, so there's that, lol. There's probably a bit more to it than that, but it seems feasible currently. It would just be funny to see an animal or something building a house or having a floating bow/gun, lol. Though I'd probably wait till A17 stable releases before doing that, heh.

Cool! A bipedal model would align okay in that case, but you'd have to change things up a bit to make it look okay with a quadrupedal model.

Hmmmm. Just realized, since I tend to play either Valmod or Ravenhearts mods, I'll have to do some code compare manager so I don't fully overwrite stuff, lol. This'll be interesting.

Neat, good luck! If you find it, it should hopefully be easy and be compatible to simply put the wolf, dire wolf, bear, and any other models into the player model selector as well so that you can play as any of them! Should hopefully be a simple xml config edit to make that happen. It might actually be an edit of entityclasses.xml, adding a new player type aside from PlayerMale and PlayerFemale, add PlayerWolf with the wolf model (or zombiedog model or whatever it's called) defined for the mesh type. After thinking about it more it's probably going to be more complicated than that though so copying the model selection code from one of those other mods might be needed depending on how difficult it is.

For the cement mixer full of meat thing, it might work? Kinda like the radio tower in Starvation that will bring in survivors. Or if you don't want to do SDX modding, you can make friendlies attracted to high heat maps instead of Screamers. Or make Screamers call friendlies instead of zombies...but that might be too easy, wouldn't it?

For the cement mixer full of meat thing, it might work? Kinda like the radio tower in Starvation that will bring in survivors. Or if you don't want to do SDX modding, you can make friendlies attracted to high heat maps instead of Screamers. Or make Screamers call friendlies instead of zombies...but that might be too easy, wouldn't it?

Lol, some fun ideas! A17 sounds like it will be capable of some simple modding doing some complex neat stuff like that, so definitely something to look into once A17E is out!

For now, for this mod on A16, I'm going to concentrate on:

1. Look at the AITask and AITarget priority levels and adjust to sane orders for all entities.

2. Work on a decent spawning system so that wolves and bears will exist in all biomes and not be tied to any zombie-specific spawners.

I'll probably leave v1 files available for A16, and since A17 will require redoing everything, make that v2.

Lol, some fun ideas! A17 sounds like it will be capable of some simple modding doing some complex neat stuff like that, so definitely something to look into once A17E is out!

For now, for this mod on A16, I'm going to concentrate on:

1. Look at the AITask and AITarget priority levels and adjust to sane orders for all entities.

2. Work on a decent spawning system so that wolves and bears will exist in all biomes and not be tied to any zombie-specific spawners.

I'll probably leave v1 files available for A16, and since A17 will require redoing everything, make that v2.

That would work, and gives some more knowledge of the xmls before A17 so it can be faster. Shoot, biomes should mostly be the same I'd imagine other than the loss of two biomes (well, merging of them with other biomes).

That would work, and gives some more knowledge of the xmls before A17 so it can be faster. Shoot, biomes should mostly be the same I'd imagine other than the loss of two biomes (well, merging of them with other biomes).

Oh yeah, forgot about that, hope it's a change for the better!

- - - Updated - - -

It is indeed.

Cool, thanks a bunch! I'll get to perfecting it this coming weekend hopefully. :3

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.5 released!

Let me know what you all think!

Change Log:

1.5:

* These features are only enabled when replacing entitygroups.xml and spawning.xml:

- Friendly animals will now spawn across all biomes, including deserts and to a lesser degree in cities.

- Wolf pack spawns at least on days 6, 13, and 20.

* Snakes and boars are now timid like stags and other non-zombies.

* All zombies no longer swim, not just human zombies.

* Minor AI task/target fixes.

<<< DOWNLOAD / MOD HOMEPAGE >>>

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/136

<<< INSTALLATION >>>

1. Unzip mod archive.

2. Friendly animals is enabled by copying the entityclasses.xml file to the following game folder. If you also want friendly animals spawning across ALL biomes as well as wolf pack spawns, entitygroups.xml and spawning.xml need to be copied to the same location as well.

7 Days To Die/Data/Config

If you don't know where your Steam Library folder is for the game, you can get to this location by going into Steam, right-clicking 7 Days to Die > Properties > Local Files tab > Browse Local Files

• 2 weeks later...
Uploaded Friendly Animals for War of the Walkers as well! Haven't done any spawning editing yet though, but at least now you can play War of the Walkers with friendly animals!

Oh oh, do Valmod, lol. I've never played War of the Walkers, I remember reading something on it that I wasn't interested in. Maybe I wouldn't care now, haha.

Oh oh, do Valmod, lol. I've never played War of the Walkers, I remember reading something on it that I wasn't interested in. Maybe I wouldn't care now, haha.

WotW has some bugs like some zombies having invisible bodies. Will take a look at Valmod, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

btw, is there a way to make it to where only wolves are friendly? or at least the location to find it all to make them enemies? And as for the Friendly Animals (WotW), is that all part of the same file, or separate?

I can't really explain how to mod the game as it's complicated, but it's all in the entityclasses file. The WotW file is meant to be copied over after WotW is applied as it says in the instructions inside the zip.

WotW has some bugs like some zombies having invisible bodies. Will take a look at Valmod, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I can't really explain how to mod the game as it's complicated, but it's all in the entityclasses file. The WotW file is meant to be copied over after WotW is applied as it says in the instructions inside the zip.

Okay, that makes sense. So it's like most mods. I've seen some where they are actually separate files. And that may be why I didn't play WotW, I remember reading something about the bugs and was like, nope, don't have the patience. I've yet to find any bug in Valmod, lol. Though it is one of the simpler mods out there.

Archived