A16 - Scavengers of the Living Dead

JaxTeller718

a9LiZNb.png

With the announcement that 7 will most likely be releasing for everyone on Monday November 19th I felt it was important to release this mod as I had been working on it for months and I wanted to give people an opportunity to try it. There are no show stopping bugs or nulls to worry about but I had a choice: Drop it now and let people experience eit or cancel it and it never releases.

Keep in mind it is NOT finished. There is no real end game, and some structure and balancing it is missing but it IS playable and it has enough of an overhaul that I think people will both enjoy playing and also seeing the concept I have planned for 17.

First I want to thank all the members of the community for being so amazingly generous and supportive during this difficult time for me and my family. The messages, support and generosity of so many has been humbling. I set out to make a mod people would enjoy and out of it I gained a community and friendships that would not have been possible without this amazing game The Fun Pimps have given us.

0NGeW1W.jpg

So what the hell is Scavengers of the Living Dead (formerly Extinction)? First and foremost I need to warn people that this mod is designed to be scavenger heavy, zombie heavy and action oriented. No AFK or Underground dwellers here. There are plenty of other mods you can play if you are looking for level 30 by day 3 and boxes full of mats by day 5. Scavengers is a reality based horror mod set in the Universe of the George Romero “Dead” Trilogy (Night, Dawn, Day). Most specifically Night of the Living Dead. Assets have been added to give the game a flavor for the 50’s. Not everything was able to be finished so you will see some things like HDTVs but in 17 all will be replaced properly. You won't find spitting acid cops, mutated behemoths or night terrors here. The threat are the zombies. Lots of them. And they are squishy. No longer are zombies a prize, they will be something to fear and dread, and the power they possess does not come from an artificial undead jog or a regenerating glowing scooby doo villain, it comes in their sheer numbers and in their power to overwhelm.

The mod itself is VERY heavy on resources. Slightly more than Ravenhearst perhaps. I've included the amazing Dust2Death HD Texture pack by default because I feel it adds such a clean distinct look to the world that fits the 50’s atmosphere. Keep in mind this one may take a while to download, the assets have not been 100 percent optimized and that loading times can be significantly higher than Vanilla. Be patient is my best advice.

First and foremost I wanted to focus on reality here. And when I say reality I mean in this world where zombies are a thing. At times we need to stretch that reality (cement in bags etc) but for the most part I want to keep this grounded in what can be accomplished realistically. This extends to all areas of the game from building to crafting to getting around.

jmbmFwx.jpg

Farming will play a huge part in your survival. Meat and live animals will be rare, as expected in this situation. HOW you acquire your farm will also be a challenge. Around the world you will find crops growing. You can pick them up as usual for one yield of your fruit or vegetable. Punching the crop will sometimes return a usable seed, but sometimes it will return nothing at all. So you must choose carefully based on needs. In the future you will be able to use a seed nursery to turn mass crops into small amounts of seeds to keep your garden sustained. As you progress tools like the hoe can yield both a crop and a seed. I'm also planning on reworking how fertilizer works so that it is not a one time use thing. Not all of this was implemented just yet but we are proud to announce that plants MUST be planted next to water in order to grow.

Crafting tools and weapons will be more difficult. Crafting is more complicated. No longer will there be a magic potion where you take wood, a stone and some grass and a stone axe is born. Now you will need to sharpen stones, craft handles from sticks and wood and gather multiple amounts of fiber to make cordage. You will assemble these using your personal working space.

Your personal workbench is your lifeline. The only items you can craft on yourself are basic things like sticks, sharpened stones and cordage. For everything else you will need to use your station. This provides a central spot for your crafting but also introduces a huge element of danger and you must plan accordingly when you craft your items for defense. Tools and weapons can break if you are not careful. The more challenging crafting is replacing the class system. Now no one is limited to certain roles, but if they want to be GOOD at those roles they must seek that role out and work their way up it.

I have reworked the entire progression system to allow for greater flexibility in speccing. While 7 Days is very basic in HOW this can be done I think after using this new system it can provide a lot of replay-ability to the game. Gone are all the skills you can purchase. There are a handful of boosts you can purchase for your tool or weapon but those are limited to reaching milestones in your spec.

So what do I mean by speccing? Speccing is now applied for the tool or weapon you use instead of a blanket overall system. That stone axe? As you use it you will level IT instead of an overall Tools skill. Want to be a better miner? Use your stone pickaxe often and as you use it it will level. Crafting is now tied into each tool as well, bringing back the old “spam crafting” way of making tools….WITHOUT the spam crafting. ALL XP is blocked when you craft. So now when you chop those trees, you will level your stone axe and be able to create better ones as time goes on, up to level 600, which increases not only its stats but your USE of it as well. Your stamina drains less, you harvest more with it. All through levelling your tool or weapon. Every tool has its own progression. It make it exciting to go out and use that pickaxe when you can feel it level and get stronger.

But that is not the only way to increase your levels. As you complete your opening quest you will receive an old telephone that can be placed in your base. This telephone will offer you new bounties every few days. Traders have been completely removed. These bounties come in 3 sets. 1,2,3 level ups to every tool or weapon. You can purchase these bounties with coins you earn from killing and harvesting zombies. Every zombie drops at least 2 coins, up to 6. Right now the bounties are simple. Go out and kill 25,50 or 100 zombies and you get the associated points or gather or craft certain items to meet certain requirements. But as time goes on I plan to expand this to tasks like farming for farmers, sniping for snipers etc. Outside of using the actual tool or weapon to level itself these bounties will help you gain additional levels on those items.

The world itself is amazingly unique. There are areas of amazing beauty, snow covered mountains, forests with deep ravines and flowing natural rivers, roads flow up and downhill into rural and local towns and farm areas. Wilderness pois are limited to small homes and abandoned housing designed for you to travel and take over. Looting will be VERY important and these houses will be your lifeline until you can take on a zed infested town or if you are lucky a city. The actual map itself is going to feel very lonely and alone. Finding a town or gas station is an event worthy of marking your map so you can make return trips.

Travel is also extremely important on this map as towns are few and far between. Players start with a full minibike and limited amounts of gas. It is up to them to find more as they travel the land of the undead. From tiny farms to small off road truck stops there is plenty to explore and our POIs will be handpicked for realism. Gas is going to be a very valuable resource as it is no longer craftable. You must either harvest cars found for small amounts or find or craft empty cans to take to gas station pumps in order to activate and fill your cans. Mind you, they can only be filled every 8-12 hours so its important to keep searching for this valuable resource.

Also making travel extremely important is that most stations and benches can no longer be crafted! Basic things like the drying rack and campfire are at your disposal but the more complex stations like Chemistry can only be found in stores or business. Crafting stations like the Carpenters Bench and Metal Shaper can be found in the scattered garages and attics of homes around the world. Danger and fortification as well as planning ahead is very crucial now when you go to make much needed items.

You will notice a lot of new sounds as you play. From the opening theme to zombie noises, to ambient sounds and even music emanating from vehicles based on the 50’s the mood of the mod is definitely as important as to how it presents visually and we are always working to add new and unique sounds to places.

New vehicles will be making their appearance here. As you get further along you will find the need for better travel options. Manu’s Quad and Dust2Deaths Roadhog can be assembled and built if you are lucky enough to find the right manuals. Parts for these vehicles are different and costly and resources are acquired through the harvesting of vehicles for special parts.

Rs40VYi.jpg

You can also rig your hideout up with CCTVs to keep your eye on things. New assets and mechanics are being added, and the rare CCTV system is one of them.

Mining will ba bit more difficult to achieve. Sure we can all grab a shovel, dig some holes and grab a pickaxe and smash boulders. But to really get down deep you need heavy duty tools and some knowledge. The further you dig down, the harder it will be to break through the solid layers. You will find traces of ore in every biome, but to get to the amount you need to survive and thrive you need better skills and iron and steel tools.

HIWwnP7.jpg

Horde night will now be an unrelenting assault on your hideout. They may be squishy in health but are deadly in their numbers and the onslaught of the undead will keep you running, while the special Boss Zombies will need special attention or they could take down your entire home!

Building is also very limited. Your primary defense will be to take over a POI and upgrade it. Building from scratch will be difficult Steel is no longer an option. The highest tier you can upgrade to is concrete. You will also have 2 primary paths of building. Wood/Reinforced Wood to Scrap and Flagstone/Cobblestone to Concrete. With resources being scarce this will be a goal you work to achieve as you progress instead of a day one activity.

el2u1dn.jpg

There are many surprises to be found as well, from tombstones filled with the freshly buried dead that spawn quick and strong zombies if you get too close to specialized benches and stations like a Metal Shaper, Electricians Bench and Carpenters Bench. The world itself will look very different as I am purchasing and replacing MANY assets in the game to give them a unique 50’60’s apocalyptic feel. Gone are the clean fridges, stoves and other items, replaced with more appropriate looking alternates. Like in Ravenhearst, SOTLD will have its own set of unique storage, deco items and weapons and tools all flavored to fit the time period in which the game takes place. Wandering hordes that show up come in WAVES. Zombies are fairly easy to defeat as they are all headshot only but they can surround you easily if you are not careful, all zombie sounds have been redone and replaced with what I feel are scarier zombies growls and moans, buffs and recipes and loot will all be re-balanced and overhauled, and in the future work stations will be exclusively found in appropriate pois along with a host of other additions and changes.

Im very excited about this one. It began as a middle finger to the changes I had to make for Ravenhearst. But now that I have seen it, played it it is taking on a life of its own and is quickly becoming a labor of love I am very excited to see come to fruition. Hopefully people enjoy the concept and in 17 we can add this one to the legend of Ravenhearst. So play, critique, leave feedback and enjoy! 17 here we come!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Credits

Developers

JaxTeller718

Shortypants1976

Testers/QA

Makabriel

Death2Gnomes

Yummae

Shades2529

Deathmetall

WiNG

Mods Incorporated

Manux - Custom Vehicles

Dust2Death - Roadhog/HD Texture Pack

sphereii - AnimationSDX/EntityClass/Transmogrifier/TakeandReplace/Spawner

Khaine - Medical Zombies

Stompy - UMA Zombies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Available On The Launcher!

Check under the Ravenhearst Grouping for this install.

Direct Link (Includes everything you need for server play as well as can be used for SP direct downloading.)

https://gitlab.com/jaxteller718/sotld_hd/-/archive/master/sotld_hd-master.zip

Discord Link

https://discord.gg/QgqcZBu

Playing it now. I like it zombie is zombie not walmart. About to start chopping the bodies up now. easy to follow logic for building devices and tools. plus the not having to go look for points to spend This is the way i play normally anyway. But your additons and merges with the other modders is icing for me. Whether this is supported in a17 and beyond doesn't matter . I can replay this easily.

• 2 months later...

Alright, All I am going to say is this...

This mod is absolutely amazing, and I have played almost every overhaul on this website/made to the game.

This mod makes the entire game feel quite new, and more fun. At least to me. I can definitely see myself playing this mod over and over again, as updates get released.

I TRULY hope that you keep working on this, and you keep it updated with 7DTD.

GREAT WORK!

P.S - Any idea when this mod will show up under Alpha 17 section of the Mod Launcher?

Actually, Since my last post, I am now having an issue playing. I played for about an hour, closed the game to go eat. I came back to my PC and tried to launch the game via the Mod Launcher, and after about 15 seconds, I get an error that says...

Failed To Initialize Player

Details:

PreloadData is missing. It should always be there.

Then it has an OK button to click. That is all.

Any ideas?

Heres a screenshot : https://gyazo.com/4cb34489d013598e97f825bb9f5a2e78

[EDIT] : NVM, I fixed it by uninstallign and reinstalling the mod. I just hope it doesn't happen again!

Alright, All I am going to say is this...

This mod is absolutely amazing, and I have played almost every overhaul on this website/made to the game.

This mod makes the entire game feel quite new, and more fun. At least to me. I can definitely see myself playing this mod over and over again, as updates get released.

I TRULY hope that you keep working on this, and you keep it updated with 7DTD.

GREAT WORK!

P.S - Any idea when this mod will show up under Alpha 17 section of the Mod Launcher?

Thank you for the kind words. This is actually my preferred way to play as well. Once Ravenhearst is done I plan on working on this further for 17 now that we can use Action Skills and quality again. Stay tuned :)

Good morning, I have the same problem as BLCKBLuR, only it is not solved when reinstalling it ... and uninstall the game and install everything again and still the error ... any idea how to fix it?

Hey! I would help you if I could, but honestly all I did was this...

Open Mod Launcher.

Left Click Scavengers of the Living Dead Mod on the Left Window Pane.

After Selecting SotLD Mod, Left click the "Delete Complete" Button.

After the mod is done being deleted...

Left Click the Scavengers of the Living Dead Mod.

Click "Play Mod" button.

After the mod is done copying your & days to die installation, it will auto install the mod to the new copy, and will launch the mod.

I am not sure if this will work for you, but it is exactly what worked for me.

I currently have THESE options selected in the Mod Launcher for the SotLD Mod...

Refresh Mods Automatically - UNCHECKED

Use EAC - UNCHECKED

Disable UNET - CHECKED

Update Registry - CHECKED

Direct Download - UNCHECKED

Save All Games Local to Mod - CHECKED

P.S - I also noticed that when I first installed the mod and was having the same issue as you, that in the bottom right corner in the MODLETS section it showed that I had 2 MODLETS installed. Those 2 were "GupUI" and "SDX". After I uninstalled the mod and reinstalled it, those 2 MODLETS were not there anymore. I am not sure if that had any effect on the mod working or not, but the mod WORKED after those were gone when I reinstalled it. I am not sure why those would make a difference seeing as the mod works on A16.4 but MODLETS are only used in A17+.

I hope this reply helps you get the mod working. Good Luck.

Hello! Thank you very much for the help, but I already solved it, I was trying to install the mod in alpha17.1 hehehe ... I already pass it to alpha 16.4 and I'm playing normally ... very funny, and the truth is that the game is more spooky .. see you surrounded by 50 zombies, at night and with the broken leg is not fun ... I still want to explore more the mod because I still do not understand how is the progression of levels and abilities ... it is very rare to not be able to build nothing at the beginning

Hey! I would help you if I could, but honestly all I did was this...

Open Mod Launcher.

Left Click Scavengers of the Living Dead Mod on the Left Window Pane.

After Selecting SotLD Mod, Left click the "Delete Complete" Button.

After the mod is done being deleted...

Left Click the Scavengers of the Living Dead Mod.

Click "Play Mod" button.

After the mod is done copying your & days to die installation, it will auto install the mod to the new copy, and will launch the mod.

I am not sure if this will work for you, but it is exactly what worked for me.

I currently have THESE options selected in the Mod Launcher for the SotLD Mod...

Refresh Mods Automatically - UNCHECKED

Use EAC - UNCHECKED

Disable UNET - CHECKED

Update Registry - CHECKED

Direct Download - UNCHECKED

Save All Games Local to Mod - CHECKED

P.S - I also noticed that when I first installed the mod and was having the same issue as you, that in the bottom right corner in the MODLETS section it showed that I had 2 MODLETS installed. Those 2 were "GupUI" and "SDX". After I uninstalled the mod and reinstalled it, those 2 MODLETS were not there anymore. I am not sure if that had any effect on the mod working or not, but the mod WORKED after those were gone when I reinstalled it. I am not sure why those would make a difference seeing as the mod works on A16.4 but MODLETS are only used in A17+.

I hope this reply helps you get the mod working. Good Luck.

This mod only works with 16.4. There are 2 ways to download 16.4. One is revert the Steam install back to 16.4 via Betas tab > Opt into and select 16.4. The other is thru the modlauncher, select Alpha 16 and scroll down to The Fun Pimps section, you can download directly from Steam there. If you need further help, join the RH discord here. https://discord.gg/3DAYsuE

- - - Updated - - -

Hello! Thank you very much for the help, but I already solved it, I was trying to install the mod in alpha17.1 hehehe ... I already pass it to alpha 16.4 and I'm playing normally ... very funny, and the truth is that the game is more spooky .. see you surrounded by 50 zombies, at night and with the broken leg is not fun ... I still want to explore more the mod because I still do not understand how is the progression of levels and abilities ... it is very rare to not be able to build nothing at the beginning

Join the RH discord, there are chatrooms dedicated to SotLD. https://discord.gg/3DAYsuE

Nice job on this. Just been at it for a bit, up to day 2 but really enjoying it. A question

After making the stone pick, you are asked to get brass, lead, zinc & copper. They don't seem to drop from surface boulders and surface lead doesn't complete the quest either so not sure what to do to complete that quest.

Your tools and weapons will level as you use them. So if you like to use an iron club, if you keep using it you will see that the actual tool is levelling NOT blunt weapons or such. There are also quests you can buy from the provided trader phone you get during the starting quests that yuo can complete and it will level that particular tools skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job on this. Just been at it for a bit, up to day 2 but really enjoying it. A question

After making the stone pick, you are asked to get brass, lead, zinc & copper. They don't seem to drop from surface boulders and surface lead doesn't complete the quest either so not sure what to do to complete that quest.

Let me check that may be an oversight on my part. Normally you would get the ores for each and then the next step is to scrap them. But you may be right, i may have removed the surface ores without removing it from quest requirements. If this is so il will push an update to fix this.

Im glad people are enjoying this. I did not think many would and i released it like days before 17 experimental so bad timing. I plan on making this a priority after RH releases and Im going over plans to make it much more wilderness survival oriented. A traditional zombie survival game where your enemy isn't only the zeds but also nature and time :)

Your tools and weapons will level as you use them. So if you like to use an iron club, if you keep using it you will see that the actual tool is levelling NOT blunt weapons or such. There are also quests you can buy from the provided trader phone you get during the starting quests that yuo can complete and it will level that particular tools skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me check that may be an oversight on my part. Normally you would get the ores for each and then the next step is to scrap them. But you may be right, i may have removed the surface ores without removing it from quest requirements. If this is so il will push an update to fix this.

Im glad people are enjoying this. I did not think many would and i released it like days before 17 experimental so bad timing. I plan on making this a priority after RH releases and Im going over plans to make it much more wilderness survival oriented. A traditional zombie survival game where your enemy isn't only the zeds but also nature and time :)

This is almost exactly how I ideally would like to play. I'll have to see how horde night goes though without being able to build much lol.

I have to say you won me over on learn by doing. I didn't mind the A17 system too much but going back to A16 again I'm really enjoying the progression more.

it's really scary ... you gave it a touch of terror that it had lost ... the zombies do not stop coming and you can not lootear in peace ... also note the lead and copper, but noting that it was a mistake use the creative ... to my liking the chains of initial missions are very long and I skipped them ... the sound of the zombies is very well achieved and it is spooky ... I did not like the zombies that run, since I thought that they were all "slow" and surprised me ... I still do not install the phone and I do not know how the progression will continue, but we'll see ...

Gday all from downunder. Really loved ya Ravenhearst mod mate. I'm about to try Scavenger for the first time. Is their a public server running this mod. Cheers

At one point I was running one but that has since gone :( You can check our Discord as we have server advertisements over there. Link was posted above.

Running zombies MAY be an accidental inclusion. I wish i can say i was still working on this, and I may for 16 to fix up some stuff. There is no doubt in my mind that this has a place in 17 for sure. Give me until the weekend and I will try to resurrect the 16 modding knowledge and see if i cant put some fixes in place.

I really would have loved to develop this more with the public but man that 17 drop came out of nowhere for me, and as you can see by the date I rushed it out so people could eventually give it a go since i had put a few months on it by then.

Learn by doing can be a lot of fun. We put a lot of time into balancing all that out so it didnt feel grindy but we had more work to do. I fully believe theres a way it can work now in 17 if they gave it some love and attention and also gave it a chance.

There is something very satisfying about crafting a level 300 crossbow and knowing you busted butt to get it there.

Archived