Let's Build a Vessel...

Pille

Research Vessel

Replica of research vessel Atlantis embedded in a modlet for rwg maps which should be compatible with most other modlets and overhauls. There's also a version for custom maps in the modlet folder. The prefab is still kind of work in progress. Some bugs will be fixed later in A18.

Download Modlet:

DOWNLOAD LINK (A17)

DOWNLOAD LINK (A18)

Hint: POI spawning doesn't work properly with random gen worlds in A18, so you have to place the prefab manually atm. I am going to fix this issue later.

Installation:

Note: See Readme.txt in modlet folder for more details.

1. Download and extract the modlet.

2. Copy the folder 'Mods' into the 7 Days to Die main directory*.

3. Replace the files at the destination if Windows prompts you to do so.

4. Re(start) the game.

5. In order to spawn the prefab on a random gen map, you have to generate a new world.

*The default location of the main directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die

8iRPzBk.jpg

Old Pics and Text:

This may take a while. I am going to document my progress so I can wallow in memories later when I'm old. ^^ The planned prefab is a replica of an oceanographic research vessel (length = 85m, width = 17m, height of the hull = 9 m).

Day 1 and Day 2 (Still trying to find the correct proportion and a way to build the hull):

qDgiq5C.jpg

ShMoUCJ.jpg

tXJtZLW.jpg

How is it on day one we have perfectly scuplted terrain pieces like that, I'd love very much to know how your doing this. Im guessing your using your editor to modify density?

I remember the post you done showing how to calculate the density required for terrain ramps, is this a similar kind of thing where you've pre-planned?

Mind blown lol

Almost perfectly sculpted ... except the edges which look frayed but I think they can be covered with regular blocks. Well, at least in A18 where we are supposed to get 4 block ramps. Those ramps should solve a lot of the remaining problems anyway.

How is it on day one we have perfectly scuplted terrain pieces like that, I'd love very much to know how your doing this. Im guessing your using your editor to modify density?

I remember the post you done showing how to calculate the density required for terrain ramps, is this a similar kind of thing where you've pre-planned?

Mind blown lol

Yes, had to use the editor and the formula from the post you mentioned. The densities can be calculated layer by layer (in top view) and the base shape can be estimated from pictures and movies of real ships. So far, it was easier than I thought but still fairly time-consuming (2 hours for the front part).^^

Day 3 (ship reached its final length):

AstK9Bj.jpg

You'll need to factor in some water, it can go a bit wonky if you leave it to the world gen. Have you tried adding this to a section of water on a map via the world editor and saving it as it is now to see how water will interact with it upon reloading, the terrain may try to connect to the front of the ship forcing you to copy in air blocks, then you'll have to add in water for sure for it to load right.

Damn that looks good though!

Ships in 7dtd are very challenging, i've been working on a aircraft carrier for the past 10 months. I'm currently doing some final testing on the poi version, hopefully finish before a18 (fingers crossed =)) if you encounter any issues or have a question i'd be more than happy to share what i've learned so far ;)

POI Version

uwI5B1y.jpg

Trailer i made when i finished the main interior

Ships in 7dtd are very challenging, i've been working on a aircraft carrier for the past 10 months. I'm currently doing some final testing on the poi version, hopefully finish before a18 (fingers crossed =)) if you encounter any issues or have a question i'd be more than happy to share what i've learned so far ;)

POI Version

uwI5B1y.jpg

With all these large ship prefabs, someone needs to make an ocean map where there are very little islands. Would be interesting as long as zombie spawning could be configured properly.

That would be cool, the biggest challenge i had was stability wish they had a property for blocks that would consider water as ground so you could build with "buoyant blocks" or something. In the editor you can turn physics off but in a real game you'd obviously want them on. It's possible to have it "float" on water if you just spawn it in but it collapses if you stand on it or place anything on it. However if you have a server and are an admin it is possible to get it stable in the water but it's a real pain in the neck and takes ages for a large ship. Also another idea have a "driver" block that would turn a prefab into a vehicle that can be driven imagine rolling up to shore casually in your massive aircraft carrier or research ship.

You'll need to factor in some water, it can go a bit wonky if you leave it to the world gen. Have you tried adding this to a section of water on a map via the world editor and saving it as it is now to see how water will interact with it upon reloading, the terrain may try to connect to the front of the ship forcing you to copy in air blocks, then you'll have to add in water for sure for it to load right.

Damn that looks good though!

So you use the ingame editor or world editor to save your prefabs? That will distort the rotations and meta values of your water blocks resulting in odd behavior i.e. missing water blocks. If you set all values to 0 this won't happen in my experience.

Good call on the terrain snapping question...

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna see Pille, Horst, Top and Laz collaborate. :).

Nice Idea and all and I like collaborative project but the other guys seem to be busy, so not going to happen anytime soon. But I know, you were just kidding.^^

Ahh that was your little ship. ;) Indeed it is challenging so far. I'm constantly running into new problems, despite my experience. Btw. I've already analyzed the carrier and decided to use (or shamelessly steal) your idea for the ship's propeller. There could be more pieces that could fit into my vessel. We will see. Yours seems to be much bigger though. That might cause issues if I try to transfer some of your building techniques to my project. Are there any cranes on the carrier? My ship needs some portable deck cranes.

That would be cool, the biggest challenge i had was stability wish they had a property for blocks that would consider water as ground so you could build with "buoyant blocks" or something. In the editor you can turn physics off but in a real game you'd obviously want them on. It's possible to have it "float" on water if you just spawn it in but it collapses if you stand on it or place anything on it. However if you have a server and are an admin it is possible to get it stable in the water but it's a real pain in the neck and takes ages for a large ship. Also another idea have a "driver" block that would turn a prefab into a vehicle that can be driven imagine rolling up to shore casually in your massive aircraft carrier or research ship.

A good old stability. Almost ruined my skyscraper haha. Fortunately, the research vessel is much smaller. So stability should be less critical, hopefully.

Wow nice one!!! There is probably nothing you cant make pille lol...

I can't make myself happy. :Cry:

Haha i checked out the art gallery to see how a modlet for rwg is done and I also shamelessly stole your ideas of the heli rotors and the secret credit on the bottom so feel free to use any of mine ;) there is a crane in the vehicle bay which is just a smaller version of the vanilla construction site skyscraper one and there are sort of mini cranes in the Hangar Bay for lowering munitions and whatever

Looking sweet. Everything from shipping containers, color selection and down to the white run flag. ��

Must be luck. I didn't even take care of the colors.^^ Slaan had the idea to make it a trader POI. That's why there is a flag. So at least one version will get a trader.

I'd be happy to use throw Pille's into my custom world... it has plenty of water.

8k map. =)

Awesome map! I am not always up to date regarding vehicles mods. Do we have some nice boat mods already?

Oh, and I never kid about collaboration. I'd be happy to throw up a prefab server again. =)

Let me know when it's ready.

Last screenshot for this weekend. Need a break before finishing the hull.

Day 4.5 (more deco and cranes):

kjaPjpQ.jpg

Archived