Downtown Guppy

Guppycur

Me too. I've got reference pics for the building fronts but no clues on the interiors. :)

...I'm leaning towards adding custom blocks, since modlets are so easy now. Little things like a popcorn machine, glass cabinet, would go a long way though out... Stop light, Keurig, china cabinet, throw rugs... a real theater camera...

I'm not as clever as some using vanilla blocks to simulate other things, and hell, why not. It'll all probably be broken in a few weeks with a18 anyway. :)

Me too. I've got reference pics for the building fronts but no clues on the interiors. :)

...I'm leaning towards adding custom blocks, since modlets are so easy now. Little things like a popcorn machine, glass cabinet, would go a long way though out... Stop light, Keurig, china cabinet, throw rugs... a real theater camera...

I'm not as clever as some using vanilla blocks to simulate other things, and hell, why not. It'll all probably be broken in a few weeks with a18 anyway. :)

DONT JINX IT! Pille already made this awfully clear haha, Im hoping it wont be all too serious :)

As for interiors, it's downtown ;) ! Make a restaurant where they serve ribs, make a nightclub, a warehouse, a fancy store where they sell backpacks, purses and so on. Also make a grab and go mini markt with food stuffz and I guess a heckler and koch gunstore.. a shooting range with the stairs going down, a bowling alley.. a gaming hall andd everything that is above the first floor and basements I guess apartements, except for the warehouse, restaurant and the nightclub which can be multi store :)

Hope this gices you enough ideas ;) ( I live in amsterdam where downtown is like that + a coffeeshop where they sell weed ofcourse

Lol I'm going to make a convert out of you yet...

...what's the difference if tfp adds a new cabinet block vs me doing it? Mod installs the same. (Shrug)

/Slowly converting Pille since 1971

He will get there. Patience. Time to face his destiny sooner or later. ;-)

Lol I'm going to make a convert out of you yet...

...what's the difference if tfp adds a new cabinet block vs me doing it? Mod installs the same. (Shrug)

What's the difference between building a prefab using the existing blocks and taking a 3D model from an asset store, splitting it into pieces and making a custom block out of each piece? One is prefabbing, the other the end of it. Ofc your custom block collection isn't that extreme yet but it already defies, not to say pollutes, the actual spirit of prefabbing - Creating of POIs within given limitations.

Now you might be wondering why those limitations can only be defined by the developers. Why don't we make our own rules and restriction based on technical feasibility? Besides being against the natural order of things, this also inevitably leads to chaos and anarchy. Just to give you a few examples of the damaging effects of modding:

* The more mods the greater the potential fragmentation and weakening of the community.

* The more modification we have the greater is the danger that TFP rely on player-made content at the cost of planed features and own content. Basically, every time you release a mod you drive a nail into the coffin of the game that 7 Days could have been.

* The more modifications are included in your project the more likely your creation becomes useless if one of the underlying mods stops working for whatever reason. Atm. it might look safe to you to add custom blocks but can you guaranty with absolute certainty that your collection will never cause any issues in future alphas?

* Mods tend to lower the quality standards of the whole gaming industry. The average mod can't keep up with what the average devs deliver. While there are very high-quality mods and a lot of decent user-made stuff modding still has the tendency to start a vicious circle. Customers get used to below-average quality of the modifications, subconsciously animating the devs to make below-average quality games (compared to their previous games). Usually, that causes further quality degradation of the mods.

* Mods for early access games may lead to invalid bug-reports and make bug-fixing harder. The more mod users the less testers and the more likely the official testers receive (mod-related) reports that should never have been sent. Thus, modding is like an act of sabotage or at least an act of gross negligence.

* Mod-ability costs money and time. You don't get it for free. It has to be implemented and maintained during the entire lifetime of your product. The more mods are developed, the more the players not only get used to them, but expect them to be a part of the game forcing the devs to improve the mod support . It's again a vicious circle; again at the expense of developer-made content.

Simply put, modding is immoral and just wrong. It's one of the great evils that has infested gaming. It's up to you modders to come to your senses and stop this madness. Stop your society damaging behavior before it's too late. Stop being part of the problem.

/Slowly converting Pille since 1971

Starting with this long before I was born was a good decision. Good luck. :D

Pille, I revoke what I have said. Firstly I have to digest it. Thats quite some approach to gaming. I accept your opinion.

Useless starting a debate here, similar as to being a vegetarian or not. Hence, my opinion does not add any benefit.

In short my view is not that black or white.

Is modding curse or blessing or both?

Do we agree upon modding helped the game becoming successful!

Nevertheless I appreciate taking your time and sharing your elaborated view.

Back to the thread: Guppy, how is your downtown progress so far?

By your logic, sir Pille, with tfp adding the purposeful support of additional blocks (and they did), is it not within the spirit of vanilla?

...fact is, vanilla supports additional blocks. Whether myself or Joel puts them in is immaterial.

As far as bullet point 3, that's true in vanilla from alpha to alpha, where prefabs break and have to be converted, so if the same ends up being true with models then again I ask, what's the difference? :)

A18 comes out, I spend 5 minutes re exporting the blocks using the new unity version, and I'm done. That'll probably take LESS time than it will for you to find replacement vanilla blocks for the ones tfp will remove. :)

...spent a full day on the elevator mod, then another day importing the new blocks, then binged 13 reasons, so no new progress...

I don't want to look like a troll but my previous comment wasn't that dead serious.^^ It was just an attempt to convert Guppy. My true stance is much more pragmatic. The result is the same though. Still want to stick to vanilla for a while (some possible exception aside). Ok since you asked I am going to reply (again not meant to be serious):

By your logic, sir Pille, with tfp adding the purposeful support of additional blocks (and they did), is it not within the spirit of vanilla?

That's a tough question. I would say they make it easier to sully the holy spirit of vanilla. Thus they have a partial debt.:)

As far as bullet point 3, that's true in vanilla from alpha to alpha, where prefabs break and have to be converted, so if the same ends up being true with models then again I ask, what's the difference?

A18 comes out, I spend 5 minutes re exporting the blocks using the new unity version, and I'm done. That'll probably take LESS time than it will for you to find replacement vanilla blocks for the ones tfp will remove.

...spent a full day on the elevator mod, then another day importing the new blocks, then binged 13 reasons, so no new progress...

It's not immaterial ... If Joel adds a block, it is automatically available to all people. If you and maybe 1000 others decide to put their blocks in, we may end up in a situation where every prefabber goes her/his own way (fragmentation of the community). This would not only negatively affect the visuals due to the different styles and qualities of the custom blocks, but could also endanger the stability and performance of the game. I know differences in style and performance already exist for vanilla-based prefabs but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to add fuel to the flames.

The past has shown that vanilla-based prefabs can be converted in such a way that at least their appearance and functionality is roughly conserved. There were exceptions but they were rare. In general, TFPs have a growing interest in keeping most of their stuff convertible.

We don't know what will happen to custom blocks when A18 hits. Yours may be safe, I dunno. Custom blocks seem like a black box hosting an unknown risk and could easily turn out to be Pandora's Box when it comes to compatibility with future alphas. From my point of view as prefabber who doesn't have any experience with unity I have to rely on your word and pray that you are right. Or I have to invest time (that otherwise could have been used to build new prefabs) to learn unity. The bottom line is using mods is asking for more trouble than necessary, especially in alpha phase. That should be common sense anyway.

Pille, I revoke what I have said. Firstly I have to digest it. Thats quite some approach to gaming. I accept your opinion.

Useless starting a debate here, similar as to being a vegetarian or not. Hence, my opinion does not add any benefit.

In short my view is not that black or white.

Is modding curse or blessing or both?

Do we agree upon modding helped the game becoming successful!

Nevertheless I appreciate taking your time and sharing your elaborated view.

Thanks for not starting a discussion. I didn't want to waste your time with my comment. If I did I am really sorry.

Now, lets return to the actually topic ... Yeah very nice furniture. Adding them was't hard for you, right? I am wondering how much effort is involved in adding new 'interactive' blocks like traps (i.e. stuff similar to a blade trape).

If Joel adds a new prefab it's available to all people. If you add one, people have to download it. The quality from prefabbers differ greatly, and in fact every argument you make against custom blocks applies to user made prefabs. :)

There is no difference.

...for the record, I don't take anything online seriously so I'm just having fun. :)

As far as block differences with traps and what not, a model is a model is a model, the xml controls what it does. You may have to set up a model differently in unity to allow it electrical hookup, or to walk (entity), or to be held (items), but that's all trivial. XML handles the rest.

...lying a little bit, entities are not yet natively importable by 7days, but only because the bone names don't match theirs, so it could be done.

If Joel adds a new prefab it's available to all people. If you add one, people have to download it. The quality from prefabbers differ greatly, and in fact every argument you make against custom blocks applies to user made prefabs. :)

There is no difference.

Agree to disagree. ;)

...for the record, I don't take anything online seriously so I'm just having fun. :)

As far as block differences with traps and what not, a model is a model is a model, the xml controls what it does. You may have to set up a model differently in unity to allow it electrical hookup, or to walk (entity), or to be held (items), but that's all trivial. XML handles the rest.

...lying a little bit, entities are not yet natively importable by 7days, but only because the bone names don't match theirs, so it could be done.

Interesting but also astonishing that we don't have new traps (to my knowledge) in modded prefabs / prefabs that belong to famous mods.

I had them in medieval mod... rope/pully version of the blade trap, um, spikes from the ground, and a fire trap. But we broke a lot of ground on that mod.

...bottom line is that mod wouldn't have been a nice as it was (for an a16 mod) w/o custom blocks:

New textures helps too:

...the buildings were done in 99% vanilla blocks, but the decor (and doors) were custom to give it a more authentic feel. The whole thing was a learning curve for me as well.

I had them in medieval mod... rope/pully version of the blade trap, um, spikes from the ground, and a fire trap. But we broke a lot of ground on that mod.

...bottom line is that mod wouldn't have been a nice as it was (for an a16 mod) w/o custom blocks:

New textures helps too:

...the buildings were done in 99% vanilla blocks, but the decor (and doors) were custom to give it a more authentic feel. The whole thing was a learning curve for me as well.

It was a great mod. One of the very few I liked even though she (yeah mods are female, like ships) stayed in a work in progress state... So why was she never developed further? Ofc the custom blocks are to blame! ;)

Lol actually a17, as much as it helped modding, ruined two key pieces for it... 1, the textures are no longer in an atlas so we can't access them, so that means no replacing them with medieval textures. 2, the animations got REALLY screwed up for entities, and they slide around a bunch.

...that, and StompyNZ (the main programmer for the mod) is taking a break. That mod did WAAAAY too much to keep up with alpha to alpha, so we're going to wait until closer to gold, if not gold.

Archived