First prefab (Vet Clinic)

Firecat

I've been playing 7DtD on and off for a few months now and having loads of fun (sure, there are things I wish were different/better, but all in all this game is great). But then I discovered the prefab creator, and as has happened in every other game I have ever played that had a world editor/scenario creator/etc. I immediately had to start messing with it. Being an animal person, it has been low-key bugging me the complete absence of pet-related buildings like pet stores and vet clinics in the game. So I decided to make a veterinarian's office roughly modeled off my own friendly neighborhood rural vet. I normally don't post personal projects online, but I found this prefabs section of the forum and saw some of the other cool stuff on here, so I thought it might be fun to share so you guys can enjoy it too. Plus I'd love some feedback.

I went online to find some info about how to get things up and running (huge shoutout to Genosis from Not a Gamer Gaming. He made a nice little prefab creation tutorial series that really helped me out). I also gleaned some handy info off this forum. Ultimately, though, I am still super new at this and almost certainly made some mistakes/mucked something up. Hopefully not too badly, but... ahem. I'd love some constructive feedback on what I got wrong, and what I can do better. I tried to test it out to the best of my ability, and troubleshoot any issues, and for the most part got things resolved, but there are a few things that still aren't quite working how they should where I've been unable to figure out the problem.

Firstly, the zombies in the attic don't consistently show up during playtesting. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they aren't. They have their own sleeper volume (I have that volume set to spawn 6-7 zombies zombies) but it seems half the time nothing shows up. I've wondered if it isn't an issue with sleeper volumes touching other sleeper volumes, but I've been unable to figure out a consistent pattern.

The other problem I've been having is that when I spawned the building into an actual world in world editor mode, the asphalt in the parking lot consistently appeared with the texture of the surrounding ground from the biome, rather than the asphalt texture. (No it isn't terrain filler, it is asphalt, I double checked!) And placing/replacing asphalt blocks doesn't fix this.

If anybody knows what's up with either of these issues, I'd love to know the explanations!

I'd also like to know what you guys think of the design in general. Too many zombies? Too much loot? The opposite? What do you guys think of the layout/decor/etc.?

Anyhow, here's a few screenshots:

A18.3_2020-02-19_22-54-25.thumb.jpg.3dfe3cd22aa2cc935bc6ce5967fdaca0.jpg

A18.3_2020-02-19_22-54-01.thumb.jpg.a1bcde68af1d12c572cdaeabb381a0c5.jpg

A18.3_2020-02-19_22-56-33.thumb.jpg.c11fb8a0f906c4e03c39c66e0c245c45.jpg

A18.3_2020-02-19_22-56-52.thumb.jpg.dd5179f37251bd910c8a3bb703a89d0c.jpg

A18.3_2020-02-19_22-55-23.thumb.jpg.fbe186fe7ca4f15da01ec0bec4bb5904.jpg

And here's a link to the dropbox zip file with the prefab content in it. (Edit: Updated version)https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqh8ip9kmyp9jvg/Vet%20Clinic%20by%20Firecat.zip?dl=0

Hi :)

That's a really cool prefab from the screenshots and will definitley add some variety. As you said, there is a lack of animal related prefabs in game. I bet a dog's home full of infected dogs would be scarily amazing, if not a bit sad for the dogs lol!

I'm currently building a prefab consisting of a whole street and I added a small pet store to that yesterday. It was actually quite fun to kit out internally as there are quite a few matching assets in game such as the terrarium, dog crate, dog house etc which are barely used elsewhere and look perfect for pet places like this.

As for the bug with asphalt, it is a confirmed bug - see the forum post here.

Will be downloading your clinic and giving it a play later on after work :smile-new:

Just had a play through and the screenshots do not do this place justice, much bigger than I thought it'd be with a bit of story-telling of the people who once held up there.

As for the sleepers issue in the loft, I removed the second (smaller) sleeper volume in the roof, changed the zombie rate to 18-24 on the main roof one and then it worked as intended. The zombies above the drop floor triggered without waking up the rest in the roof. I also made sure that none of the other volumes overlapped. Maybe give the same a go and see if it works any better that way for you?

Hi :)

That's a really cool prefab from the screenshots and will definitley add some variety. As you said, there is a lack of animal related prefabs in game. I bet a dog's home full of infected dogs would be scarily amazing, if not a bit sad for the dogs lol!

I'm currently building a prefab consisting of a whole street and I added a small pet store to that yesterday. It was actually quite fun to kit out internally as there are quite a few matching assets in game such as the terrarium, dog crate, dog house etc which are barely used elsewhere and look perfect for pet places like this.

As for the bug with asphalt, it is a confirmed bug - see the forum post here.

Will be downloading your clinic and giving it a play later on after work :smile-new:

Ah, so it's a bug! Guess there's nothing I can do about that until they fix it, then. It just gonna have to be ugly in the meantime! Lol

Just had a play through and the screenshots do not do this place justice, much bigger than I thought it'd be with a bit of story-telling of the people who once held up there.

As for the sleepers issue in the loft, I removed the second (smaller) sleeper volume in the roof, changed the zombie rate to 18-24 on the main roof one and then it worked as intended. The zombies above the drop floor triggered without waking up the rest in the roof. I also made sure that none of the other volumes overlapped. Maybe give the same a go and see if it works any better that way for you?

Okay thanks! I'll give it a try! I was using separate volumes so I could add more zombie variety, but I'm fine with losing some of that if it makes things work more consistently.

P.S. I'd love to see your prefab with the pet store when you are done with it! :D

Does anyone have any ideas for disguising loose floorboards? The ones that you fall through? I was putting fake cabinet doors over them and painting them to match the floor, but after tweaking the floor further they stopped breaking when the boards underneath did. I probably made them too stable or something. I know there is that big breakable section of floor you can place down, but it's a bit large for what I wanted. I might just have to use it anyway, I suppose, unless I want people to see the trap coming. :p

Does anyone have any ideas for disguising loose floorboards? The ones that you fall through? I was putting fake cabinet doors over them and painting them to match the floor, but after tweaking the floor further they stopped breaking when the boards underneath did. I probably made them too stable or something. I know there is that big breakable section of floor you can place down, but it's a bit large for what I wanted. I might just have to use it anyway, I suppose, unless I want people to see the trap coming. :p

There should be called trap metal catwalk ones i cant remember but yeh you got to get the completely flat ones not the bent ones altho you can use them to. And just paint them to fit

There should be called trap metal catwalk ones i cant remember but yeh you got to get the completely flat ones not the bent ones altho you can use them to. And just paint them to fit

My problem is I need to hide the trap floor from both the bottom and the top! And since there doesn't seem to be a sheet that breaks when you step on it, I'm think that isn't going to be possible. I may just have to let the trap be visible :p

So, I tried what you suggested and had no more big areas of vanished zombies. But I ran into some new problems. The zombies in the drop ceiling don't seem to spawn unless you actually physically enter their volume, which means even if I shrink the bottom floor sleeper volumes as short as I can and make the top floor volume taller downward, I still have to jump to make the ceiling zombs spawn when i enter the room. Which is pretty silly. Also, when i used a gun to kill some of the drop ceiling zombies in playtesting, it woke up the attic zombies and they came through the wall. Back to the old drawing board I guess.

So, I tried what you suggested and had no more big areas of vanished zombies. But I ran into some new problems. The zombies in the drop ceiling don't seem to spawn unless you actually physically enter their volume, which means even if I shrink the bottom floor sleeper volumes as short as I can and make the top floor volume taller downward, I still have to jump to make the ceiling zombs spawn when i enter the room. Which is pretty silly. Also, when i used a gun to kill some of the drop ceiling zombies in playtesting, it woke up the attic zombies and they came through the wall. Back to the old drawing board I guess.

Increase the height of the volume so you walk thru that volume.

I mean leave the highest level there but lower the lowest level down to the ground floor

Archived