7DTD Mods Desktop - A tool for Devs and avid players

turbero

Hello everyone.

I'd like to go live with a new open-source tool for modders that I created and I hope everyone interested can use for his/her benefit.

Background

(skip if you want, not mandatory to read)

7 Days to Die is a game whose possibilities to be modded have always fascinated me. With the incorporation of XPATH in Alpha 17 this passion exploded inside players and modders. In that moment I was a player with 1000 played hours that started to experiment and create "innocent" mods. But I noticed something was missing. My real job is IT oriented and I thought why I couldn't have some kind of automatic tool as I do at work that can generate how I want to create the mod, what changes I want to impact the vanilla world with, whether I can create new features or not, etc. In one word, an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for modders.

So I started working on this in my free time while having two main goals in mind. This tool would have to be:

- Fast and easy to develop and maintain over time.

- The least money (if not free) to be spent in infrastructure

In this way, I ended up using open-source technologies. I created a first draft version "v0.1" that I progressed towards a stable version "v0.6.2" in Nexus website. But, although the results satisfied me and most of people a lot, I was not totally convinced. I knew the tool had some flaws. So I thought of having a break, stopping bugfixing and redesigning the tool.

Then I focused on keeping the essence of my existing draft, but making it more flexible and with chances to be enhanced further. And after few months of work and last time bugs fixed, I finally encouraged myself to roll this out today.

Finally you stopped talking! What is this?

7DTD Mods Desktop is a free open-source tool to allow all users to create modded content without getting to know about the vanilla game implementation files, or as least as possible in the worst case.

With this in mind, I organised this tool in several sections that anybody can investigate and use to create modded content. The main hightlights are:

- Built-In Modding

- Vanilla Viewer

- Mods Organiser Tool

- Quest Generator

Please feel free to access this simple website I also created and host with full details about how each of them works:

https://7dtdmodsdesktop.com/

(direct download: click here, but check out website for more info!)

Current version: v1.0.1 (1st Mar 2020)

Installation Requirements

There are only two basic requirements to use the tool:

• 7 Days To Die game Alpha latest version (I cannot ensure backward compatibility because the game evolves constantly)

• Java 1.6.0 or higher. It can be installed from here: https://www.java.com/

Also recommendable to run in a folder without admin permission needed. For example at your desktop: C:\Users\<youruser>\Desktop.

Installation

In order to start using it, you just have to access the Download section of the above link and click on the download link you will find. It is only one single small file you can place in any folder of your computer. I recommend putting the file in a folder that can be read by any other user to avoid unexpected permission issues.

Once ready, open the file and one second later the tool will start running and you will see all the sections available. Configuration files will be automatically created to save your changes so you don't have to introduce them again.

mods-desktop.png

Troubleshooting

Please bear in mind that the game does NOT have a meaningful support for troubleshooting and the logs are not very useful if you create some wrong content, but I have tried to minimise this as much as possible so users are not impacted. In fact, if some content is about to be created wrongly the desktop won't let you create it (for example when using the Quest Generator).

If the console game shows red errors, please review your generated content and look up typos. Otherwise I'll be more than willing to free.

This is an issue tracker I'll be reading your issues and help you out: https://github.com/Turbero/7DTD-Mods-Desktop/issues (GitHub account needed)

Alright! Let's play modded content!

I encourage you asking me any questions that I may have not covered in the website as well as, if feedback is good, I keep enhancing the tool. I have more ideas to add in my backlog =) And of course any others are more than welcome as long as my skills are enough to implement it.

Acknowledgements

I enjoyed so much this last year and am very happy to roll it out today but I don't want to leave without thanking all the people whose expertise in modding information I was able to read on the Internet in many webs and forums to create this tool.

Enjoy!!!

Jesus Christ!!! I had the github repository as "private" lol.

Now the link works =)

The link to the download on your website is not working.

Thanks for the message.

@sphereii link on the first post or in the website

My deepest apologies to everyone!!

Jesus Christ!!! I had the github repository as "private" lol.

Now the link works =)

Thanks for the message.

@sphereii link on the first post or in the website

My deepest apologies to everyone!!

Thank you for fixing the link.

When I start the application, it says Configuration file was corrupted couldn't be loaded. Delete to continue? Either Yes or No results in the application not opening.

Have the same error no matter where or how I run t.

"game path not found"

Creates a subfolder and 3 ini fiiles but nothing launches.

It seems it cannot find your game installation. I simulated your case and it is true when that happens the tool doesn't open but it should give the chance of selecting it manually.

Give me 1 hour and I'll solve this. Thanks for raising this, kdjac.

• 4 weeks later...

Just release version 1.0.1. Available at: https://7dtdmodsdesktop.com/download.php

Wow impressed with new forum style!!! GJ The Fun Piimps!!!

Added new built-in modding for money stack size

Added new built-in modding to relax tier IV/V clear zombies to 25/50 zombies only.

Quest Generator -> Added "Preview" to saved currently selected profile content to see the generated modlet content.

Quest Generator ->Enhanced items and zombies combos to show translated name instead of id and be more user friendly.

Quest Generator ->Added option to remove all vanilla challenges.

Help Menu -> Added new option to check for updates.

Help Menu -> Added new option to check installed game version.

Settings Menu -> Added new option to check for updates at start automatically.

Archived