Is there a quick way to reload config xml files in-game?

togFox

Is there like a debug menu or hidden hotkey you can press while in game to reload the xml's after a quick alt-tab-edit that puppy-alt-tab-back to game?

Do I really need to quit and restart after every edit? Is that what TFP's do?

I've been looking at the code for quite a while now, and while I'm not 100% sure, I believe that the XMLs are loaded in memory when you start up the game.

Reloading XML while in-game would be very complicated, since anything defined by XMLs would have to be recreated by the new rules. I don't think TFP will make that possible since it is a whole lot of work for nothing, really.

However, doing the same while in the main menu is something that can easily be achieved, at least I think it can. But I'm not sure if the time-save (which would be minute) is worth the effort for TFP.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's as hard as you make it out to be. Each time you join a server you are given the xml files for the server. I don't see why you are locked in to the same xml files for loading 7dtd the application instead of each time you create or resume a game.

In that case, you will have to exit the current game and then reload it. But that will only work if the game reloads xmls when you start a game, and not when the application starts, which is unlikely since they don't change (as far as the game is concerned), opposed to the xmls you need to request from each server each time you join.

I agree that you would have to exit and reload the game. But I would love that, as I don't currently have a SSD and starting 7dtd takes about 8-10 longer than loading a saved game.

As far as reloading, the change should be minor from a coding perspective because they already know how to presume that the xmls need to be loaded when a game is loaded/server is connected, and they already know how to load xmls locally. But then, it's all about priorities.

Is there like a debug menu or hidden hotkey you can press while in game to reload the xml's after a quick alt-tab-edit that puppy-alt-tab-back to game?

Do I really need to quit and restart after every edit? Is that what TFP's do?

You asked a practical question! I also would like to learn how to work faster.

I do not remember now, but something seems to have changed when you return to menu from game (maybe when I have changed the GUI, or tweak biome), sorry for the blank response.

TFP must work under Unity, there seems to be have the ability to change something is not compiling.

I agree that you would have to exit and reload the game. But I would love that, as I don't currently have a SSD and starting 7dtd takes about 8-10 longer than loading a saved game.

tell me, how much you have RAM ? RAM is always faster than any SSD, and Windows will cache the files...

Some programm need more access to load data from a drive, because the datasize per access are small.

normal hdd's have 50-300 access per second.

ssd have around 10k access per second.

randrive have 10k-100k access per second.

i've tested with a ramdrive how much boost in the preformace.

only saving log-file on ramdive incease the preformance by loading the game, save the savegame and fps is a little higher.

storing the game or/and savegame on ramdrive give one very good preformance boost, but you need enough ram for that.

for the game/sever 3-5 gb

navezgane 512-1024 mb

random gen need drivespace based on the distancevalue in rwgmixer.xml and how many player playing the map, by defaultvalues 7-25 gb are needed.

Logfile need only some mb as drivespace for ramdrive.

i use ramdrive software with support of driveimage, because this can write changes to hdd/ssd per image without manually copy of change files after ending a game. the image are save in interval of some minutes, when the content of driveimage have changed.

• 3 years later...
In that case, you will have to exit the current game and then reload it. But that will only work if the game reloads xmls when you start a game, and not when the application starts, which is unlikely since they don't change (as far as the game is concerned), opposed to the xmls you need to request from each server each time you join.

The game will re-load xml configs for the servers world session, it will not affect any XUi or main menu setting changes, just anything that affect the world. So every time you start world it checks the xml files for changes and applies them to the world, so you don't need to restart the whole game, but you will need to close out the world back to the main menu and reload it. I wish you didn't as on 16K map it takes some time to load the saved game.

If you need to edit any Main Menu UI stuff, you will need to restart the entire game.

Archived