Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

Hi all,

I am looking for some testers for my new prefab editor. It's not finished yet but should be ready for first tests.

Download (v0.90) (Compatible with A17/A18):

You need version v0.90 (or higher) to receive further updates. The built-in update tool cannot be used to update old versions (< v0.90).

Download LINK (32 bit) (Deprecated)

Download LINK (64 bit)

Previous Versions (A16/A17):

Download (v0.53) (A16 Version):

Download link (Windows 32 bit):

Mediafire - 32 bit

OR

Dropbox - 32 bit

Download link (Windows 64 bit):

Mediafire - 64 bit

OR

Dropbox - 64 bit

Download (v0.70) (A17 Version):

Download LINK (32 bit)

Download LINK (64 bit)

Instructions:

Thanks to Guppy, Slaan and Jackelmyer we have these video tutorials (roughly sorted by difficulty of the topic in ascending order):

How-To and FAQ

How to use the Sleeper Generator

How to rotate prefabs

Jackelmyer's Tutorial - Getting Started Prefabbing

How To Convert A17 Prefabs To A18

Shortcuts:

Switch current layer:

Plus, Minus (+, -)

Mouse wheel

Change zoom:

Ctrl + mouse wheel

Shortcut for block picker:

Middle mouse button

Switch to select mode:

Switch to drag mode:

Switch to paint mode:

Switch to top view:

a

Switch to side view 1:

s

Switch to side view 2:

d

Select block:

Left click

Select an area:

Right click and keep the mouse button pressed

Select several areas / blocks:

Mouse buttons + ctrl

Copy selected blocks:

ctrl + c

Insert selected blocks:

ctrl + v

Cut selected blocks:

Ctrl + X

Show copied blocks:

v

Count selected blocks:

Shift + C

Hints:

*The maximum size of a prefab in this version is 1024 x 1024 x 256 blocks (length x width x height). Using these settings the program will consume ~12 - 14 GB ram (not optimized).

*You have to update the editor after downloading it to get the latest version.

bYtDBsl.jpg

Preview (v0.84):

Discord:

German/English chatting server for prefabbers and for those who don't ask too many questions regarding my editor ;) (it's still work in progress btw.):

Pille's Discord Server

Credits (incomplete):

* Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com

* Editor is built with Qt 5.12.6

* Big thanks to Hal9000 for explaining me technical details of prefab files and for the help regarding static spawns

* Loot evaluation file ('compo-pack-eval.txt') was created by ShoudenKalferas

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

Looks to be a useful tool. Nice work. Fairly intuitive to use.

The coordinates in the cells is nice, but if you could use a smaller font it might not spill over into the adjoining cells.

The coordinate system was a bit unclear, typically x,y,z indicates x=right to left, Y equals up and down, and Z is front to back. It "seems" you are using x,z,y in the top view, and I have not quite figured out how the side views correlate back to the top view exactly. For example, i locate a wall torch on the top view. Select it with the cursor, then switch to a side view and its not on that tab until I hunt around for it. Having the other tabs reorient based on the selection made in the previous tab would be a great additional feature.

The prefab tab text is cutoff on the left side of the window.

Thanks for adding this to the communities tools!

The coordinate system was a bit unclear, typically x,y,z indicates x=right to left, Y equals up and down, and Z is front to back. It "seems" you are using x,z,y in the top

So I guess I have to make two versions. One for European users and one for Americans.^^

I have not quite figured out how the side views correlate back to the top view exactly. For example, i locate a wall torch on the top view. Select it with the cursor, then switch to a side view and its not on that tab until I hunt around for it. Having the other tabs reorient based on the selection made in the previous tab would be a great additional feature.

Yeah I know that's a bit annoying. I am going to implement it in the next versions.

The coordinates in the cells is nice, but if you could use a smaller font it might not spill over into the adjoining cells.

The prefab tab text is cutoff on the left side of the window.

That's interesting. Must be related to the windows scaling. I will try to fix this.

Thank you for your feedback!

So I guess I have to make two versions. One for European users and one for Americans.^^

Its not worth making 2 versions over. We Americans adjust to driving on the wrong side of the road just fine ;-)

Its not worth making 2 versions over. We Americans adjust to driving on the wrong side of the road just fine ;-)

I was just kidding.^^ It's easy to add a switch that changes the axes labels. So no problem...

How is xyz different across the pond? I thought that was math...

Afaik "we" use this system in mathematical and non-mathematical contexts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system#/media/File:3D_Spherical.svg

Until now, I thought the strange axes labeling was a special fun pimp feature. :)

I was just kidding.^^ It's easy to add a switch that changes the axes labels. So no problem...

Afaik "we" use this system in mathematical and non-mathematical contexts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system#/media/File:3D_Spherical.svg

Until now, I thought the strange axes labeling was a special fun pimp feature. :)

That's a good lookin' alpha Pille. Nice work!

It's not a TFP thing, it's a Unity (and gaming in general) thing. It's a bit of a head scratcher for a while but now the alternative is the weird seeming one to me ^^ It also didn't help me having a top-down perspective on the prefab but the x,y of the screen co-ordinate to think about.

I'm going to look at this tonight. Down the line, would it be possible to export the prefab into a 3D printable format? You know for us aspiring 3d printing people.

Also, would it be feasible to add in a way to rotate the work space? Clockwise/counter clockwise, sometimes it helps looking at things for a different vantage point.

Edited by Spectral Force (see edit history)

@HAL9000

Thanks Hal. I am not entirely happy with it but I guess it takes more time to reach the functionality of your editor.

Just as soon as I'm caught up on work, I'm testing the CRAP out of this. :)

You make me feel bad about my own work. :D

I'm going to look at this tonight. Down the line, would it be possible to export the prefab into a 3D printable format? You know for us aspiring 3d printing people.

There is one essential problem with exporting a prefab into a 3d format. The program doesn't know the block shapes and meaning of block rotations atm. So all block would be converted into cubes. It's an interessting idea to incorporate this information into the program. However, that will take awhile. So when A16 is out, I will do some tests.

Also, would it be feasible to add in a way to rotate the work space? Clockwise/counter clockwise, sometimes it helps looking at things for a different vantage point.

Mhh I thought this feature was already implemented (see red arrow (rotation slider)):

Vb0yMHY.jpg

@Spectral Force

The new mediafire link should work witout captchas or waiting time.

But.... why is called "zombie.exe" ? :D

The linux version crashes often and creates so called zombie processes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process

That's why there is no linux version atm but I am still looking for a better name and for a solution to this problem.^^

How is xyz different across the pond? I thought that was math...

I personally prefer the x,y being the top down view co-ords and z as the height.

Means if you don't want height you can still use x,y,(null) as a way to represent a 2d co-ord, rather than x,(null),z

I guess it's a bit like mouse invert vs not..... are you looking down at the world (my preference) vs looking into the world (towards the horizon, unity system)

- - - Updated - - -

@pille

It's looking good in the screenshots, i'd def host it on dropbox or github over mediafire (aka spamfire) tho :)

@pille

It's looking good in the screenshots, i'd def host it on dropbox or github over mediafire (aka spamfire) tho :)

Don't worry, it's a direct download. So you don't need to visit spamfire.^^ Dropbox is okay but they deactived my public folder.

@stomp

I've always viewed it as when looking at a monitor, x is left to right, y is up and down, and z is towards me or away from me. Like Hal's was, with the layers being z.

- - - Updated - - -

@pille

Yeh, Dropbox or drive ftw.

So I added a dropbox link. However, I am not sure that the autoupdater (not published yet) will work with these URLs.

Depending on your updater, github may work.

I use the azure cloud for my auto-updater, and have it set up as a Pay As You Go account. It's usually a few pennies a month for the couple of gigs that the Mod Launcher uses for new users and update checks.

The most I payed was about $12 for the month of March or April, but the Mod Launcher transferred a ridiculous 98G that month in new downloads. Launcher is about 36 megs per download I think.

@stomp

I've always viewed it as when looking at a monitor, x is left to right, y is up and down, and z is towards me or away from me. Like Hal's was, with the layers being z.

I copied the Unity way of doing things so the editor and the game were in sync. Made sense to keep them together and learn the new way than swap from one to the other in my head depending where I was dealing with the prefab. I think you meant y for layers though, at least in the editor terminology

So I added a dropbox link. However, I am not sure that the autoupdater (not published yet) will work with these URLs.

Has anyone tried hosting something like this on the 7DTD section over on Nexus?

Naw, talking about how *I* look at x,y,z; if the editor even has labels, I gloss them over when using it... I use more of a n/s/vertical to get my bearing, and visualize what I'm building. I definitely call layers z.

I had a point, but it's long lost...

@sphereii

Thanks for the tip sphereii. I will have a look at azure cloud as soon as the most important parts of the editor are finished.

I use the One-Click installer in Visual Studio 2017 to create the auto-updater. It's easy to use and enable, even if the install path is wonky. But it ties into the azure cloud easily. There are other solutions out there, but this was by far the easiest.

It even allows you to use a signed certificate, but I don't recommend getting one. They are very expensive, and I'm not convinced they add a lot of value.

• 2 weeks later...