A16 - 7D2D SDX Tutorials and Modding Kit

sphereii

m7M8UCY.png

It's time to de-mystify SDX.

The SDX community has come together to create a host of helpful tutorials and step by step guides to help you get started with SDX, and make your modding ideas a reality.

The 7D2D SDX Tutorial will guide you through step-by-step on how to download and install the SDX Modding Kit, get started with your first mod, and take you through to more advanced topics.

Xyth and Pacco have been busy with a series of YouTube tutorials that'll take you through basic Unity Tasks unto more advanced Unity modelling and animations!

HAL9000 has graciously provided his support by updating SDX to fix a lot of quirks and problems we've had with SDX 0.7.0.

Three08 has been busy re-writting his mods, cleaning up code and preparing for a unified release.

We've created sample mods for you to both learn from, and for you to expand on:

-> Bigger Back Pack Mod - Make your own adjustments with this Tutorial SDX Mod, that makes the adjustments to XML and the Assembly-CSharp.

-> Anabella's Expanded Mini Bike Storage - Add additional space to your mini bike, and add a handy workbench combine feature to your bike.

-> Xyth's Road Blocks - Add new blocks to the game that add variety

We assembled a comprehensive SDX Modding Kit, complete with everything you need to get started with your modding: SDX 0.7.1, UABE, Sample Mods, and some Quality of Life tools.

The Links:

The 7D2D SDX Portal - Contains Links to all the available resources.

The 7D2D SDX Tutorial - Step by Step guide to learning and working with SDX

The SDX Modding Kit - Everything you need to get started in your SDX Modding

Want Mods?

The 7D2D SDX Tutorial Mods - Mods included as part of the 7D2D SDX Tutorial

Xyth's Mods - Find more mods here, to add variety to your worlds.

Grab Them. Build Them. Expand Them.

This is just the start. Look for new tools rolling out in the coming weeks to help you mod and test quicker, and roll out your changes for others to play.

What's next for the 7D2D SDX Portal?

More mods. More Accessiblity. More Tools.

Download fresh versions of the game for multiple Platforms...

R5SVgi5l.png

Find more Mods, and upload yours for sharing...

DfoK1h5l.png

More Help.

Never feel lost or confused; Use the Questions and Answers site to reach out and find your answers.

You guys are super heroes. Thank you so much for this hard work. For people like me who are devoted xml editors having these resources is going to open a whole new door. Sphere with this and the Mod Launcher as well as the Black Screen fix, and Xyth with this and True Survival. Is there anything you guys CANT do???

Page "What's New" gives 404 error

Thanks so much for all the work putting all this together for SDX! I used the previous version and it is so great to have everything together in this manner.

Some minor points: I noticed the "What's New" page in the tutorial gives a 404 error, I am guessing a blank page for that section was not created or got left out. Also if you just go directly to https://7d2dsdx.github.io/ then it also gives a 404 error, maybe you could just add a simple index page with link or redirect to https://7d2dsdx.github.io/SDXPortal/.

Github has a built in wiki for each repository that you can enable, maybe it would be useful to enable the wiki and use it to store additional information like frequently asked questions etc.

I am working through all the steps in the tutorial and it is really clear and well written!

/Simon

Location of the Bigger Backpack Mod

I have done the SDX Beginner Tutorial and it all worked really well, got a custom block into the game and the katana! Starting the "SDX Intermediate Tutorial" it does not actually say where to get the "Bigger Back Pack mod" from. It can be good to add in a download link: https://github.com/7D2DSDX/Mods/archive/master.zip in the tutorial text and get people to extract it to the mods folder. Maybe turn it into the first page of the intermediate tutorial and use it to explain how to download and use mods from other users.

As I was doing the tutorial I noticed that the "Building the Cube Mod" page mentions the "Cube Sample" but it was actually called "Block Sample" in the version I downloaded today. I forked the code and created a pull request to rename it to Cube Sample: https://github.com/7D2DSDX/SDXModding/pull/1

/Simon

Merged your fixes. Thanks for the fix.

Minor Tutorial Text Change

Merged your fixes. Thanks for the fix.

Cool!

I noticed in the tutorial text for the advanced tutorial that it referred to "Neon Lights" mod when it is actually called "Neon Signs" mod. I followed the information about the tutorial text and made a pull request to make the change: https://github.com/7D2DSDX/Tutorials/pull/5

I was going to generate the documentation but I am running on windows and so it generated all of the files with windows line endings, and I see in the repository it has linux line endings for the html files, so I just committed the project file itself. We could run a script to update the line endings.

Not sure how you prefer to work, if we should post something in the forums and make a pull request for changes, or if you prefer just going through github pull requests for these kind of changes, I can work either way.

/Simon

Cool!

I noticed in the tutorial text for the advanced tutorial that it referred to "Neon Lights" mod when it is actually called "Neon Signs" mod. I followed the information about the tutorial text and made a pull request to make the change: https://github.com/7D2DSDX/Tutorials/pull/5

I was going to generate the documentation but I am running on windows and so it generated all of the files with windows line endings, and I see in the repository it has linux line endings for the html files, so I just committed the project file itself. We could run a script to update the line endings.

Not sure how you prefer to work, if we should post something in the forums and make a pull request for changes, or if you prefer just going through github pull requests for these kind of changes, I can work either way.

/Simon

I'm good with the pull requests. Generating the new website takes a few minutes right now, then I re-sync the html files in the repos.

I'm not sure why they are showing Linux line endings. HelpNDoc only runs on windows.

I'm good with the pull requests. Generating the new website takes a few minutes right now, then I re-sync the html files in the repos.

I'm not sure why they are showing Linux line endings. HelpNDoc only runs on windows.

Great I will just do pull requests in the future. I kind of thought the help program only ran on windows, but maybe the web server is on linux so it gets changed somewhere along the line.

I have gone through the tutorials and I have to say you have done a really great job with it all, very well written and excellent introduction to SDX.

/Simon

Great I will just do pull requests in the future. I kind of thought the help program only ran on windows, but maybe the web server is on linux so it gets changed somewhere along the line.

I have gone through the tutorials and I have to say you have done a really great job with it all, very well written and excellent introduction to SDX.

/Simon

Thank you very much. And I appreciate your continued participation.

Ah I just remembered that there is a setting in git:

git config core.autocrlf

If that is set to true then git will alter all files to linux line endings just before it stores the commit. So maybe someone has their git configured with that setting on by default.

That configuration can actually cause a lot of problems, it is better in general for people on windows to just use notepad++ for editing the files (it can cope with all types of line endings and can convert from one to the other), and then have autocrlf = false in the git client. Maybe github desktop has that set to true by default and so that is why it is stored that way in the repository?

Ah I just remembered that there is a setting in git:

git config core.autocrlf

If that is set to true then git will alter all files to linux line endings just before it stores the commit. So maybe someone has their git configured with that setting on by default.

That configuration can actually cause a lot of problems, it is better in general for people on windows to just use notepad++ for editing the files (it can cope with all types of line endings and can convert from one to the other), and then have autocrlf = false in the git client. Maybe github desktop has that set to true by default and so that is why it is stored that way in the repository?

Yes, my autocrlf was set to true. I've changed it to false and we'll see how it looks on the next comit

Introducing Clear UI

- Added Clear UI - A DAD Mod Inspired creation. Completely removes the in-game HUD.

It removes entries from xui.xml, but preserves all other vanilla or modded files, including any Localization files you may have. Potentially compatible with any mod that does not change the xui.xml.

Available in the 7D2DSDX Repo: https://github.com/7D2DSDX/Mods

Wqnfw32.png

Do you guys think there is any way to make a laser pistol? Im sure theres a model out there but im wondering about the lasers themselves, think it would work? Maybe pacco could answer this best since hes the one who made the weapon tutorial. Since you were able to put new enemies into starvation i was wondering about a robot with laser weapons. Doable?

Do you guys think there is any way to make a laser pistol? Im sure theres a model out there but im wondering about the lasers themselves, think it would work? Maybe pacco could answer this best since hes the one who made the weapon tutorial. Since you were able to put new enemies into starvation i was wondering about a robot with laser weapons. Doable?

Maybe try playing with the Flashlight particle effect? Wondering if the Ray attribute/element would control the spread. Maybe compare the spotlight and the flashlight.

Then model it after the blunderbuss and rev up the bullet behavior attributes? Then maybe make a new ammo modeled after the blunderbuss ammo but toss on the Nail gun batter pack mesh and icon?

Dang it. Now I wanna try it...

Archived