Unity Tutorials for 7D2D Modders

xyth

I started a series of new video tutorials that will hopefully make it easier for folks to get into using Unity.

A18 Version Only :  I will add a link to a A19 version once stable is released.

This first video walks you through loading the template tutorial project into your copy of Unity 2018.2.x. I don't cover downloading Unity and installing it as that is covered well by Unity. By the end of tutorial 1 you should have everything loaded that you will need to begin basic modding in Unity. The Unity project template is on my github repo and is preconfigured with the exportbundles script and has all known tags preconfigured. The first video covers downloading and installing that project folder.

A18 version: Download it at:https://github.com/7D2D/Templates-and-Utilities

At the same location there is a version 2 of the template that adds the new export script that is compatible with Linux and OSx clients, fixing the tag location on the flag so it can be picked up, and changing the shader to show the cutout on the flag. I left the old one as it follows the video exactly but use the new version when you can. Its also built on a slightly newer version of 2018.2 so if you get a popup about a different version just hit continue and it will update the template to whatever version of Unity you have loaded.

Video #1: Setting up Unity

After watching this, there is a short second video on how to make your own flag for the Fun with Flags modlet.

Video #2: Making a Flag

Let me know what you think and if anything isn't clear so far. I will address those at the beginning of tutorial 3.

Happy modding!

I'm trying to get your flags to show on Linux. I have found a bug. I can't git to save my life, so I'll describe it here:

Linux's file system is case sensitive. The naming of folders and files is crucial. Your "Items.xml" file should start with a lower-case "i" -- "items.xml"

(The file in https://github.com/7D2D/A17Mods/tree/master/FunwithFlags/Config)

When that fix is made, the mod loads on Linux.

HTH.

I'm trying to get your flags to show on Linux. I have found a bug. I can't git to save my life, so I'll describe it here:

Linux's file system is case sensitive. The naming of folders and files is crucial. Your "Items.xml" file should start with a lower-case "i" -- "items.xml"

(The file in https://github.com/7D2D/A17Mods/tree/master/FunwithFlags/Config)

When that fix is made, the mod loads on Linux.

HTH.

Thanks. I'll fix and try to remember that

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The tutorial for Unity and the projects are very helpful. Thanks a lot for that.

But what would be important is a description of the tags. It would be important to know when which tag can be used and what effects these tags have. Could you write a short description for the tags in the sample project?

Tags are used by the game code as an identifier. Some tags identify entity body parts like E_BP_Head, others identify properties like T_Deco for distant trees or E_Vehicle for vehicle entities. The tag most often used is T_Mesh_B which makes a block interactable. I am not aware of anyone using any tags other than the ones I have listed here but that may change as modders dig deeper into the code to try new things.

• 2 weeks later...

Added version 2 of the template that:

Adds the new export script that is compatible with Linux and OSx clients

Fixes the tag location on the flag so it can be picked up

Changes the shader to show the cutout on the flag.

I left the old one as it follows the video exactly but use the new version when you can. It's also built on a slightly newer version of 2018.2 so if you get a popup about a different version just hit continue and it will update the template to whatever version of Unity you have loaded.

• 10 months later...

I bleave your Templates-and-Utilities XythTutorialsV2 and 0ne is out dated I get this error when using either one. and theres more of them.

C:/Program Files/Unity Projects/2019.1.14f1/XythTutorialsV2/Library/PackageCache/[email protected]/Scripts/Runtime/FastAction.cs(24,45): error CS1644: Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification

• 5 weeks later...

It would be nice to see more tutorials for advanced things. For example, I am trying to automate some things related to storage, but I don't know how to script my custom assets to interact with vanilla assets in C#. Not just that, but how to piggyback off of the existing inventory system and extend it further.

I haven't been able to find any resources that can point me in the right direction, but your tutorials are the closest thing I have found, just on a basic level.

Archived