What's with the magically disappearing glass jars?

NachoNinjaGnome

How many iterations are we going to see where we don't get our glass jars back from boiling eggs? Late game, sure, not a huge inconvenience. But, starting out, first couple of days, if you don't get lucky with your looting, it can be a HUGE issue. Even after the first couple of days, when boiled eggs are your primary food source, it's still a pain in the posterior.

If you're having issues with jars why are you boiling stuff in the first place? Wouldn't you use your resources wisely and char some food and drink the water? Sometimes logic is the best cure.

That's assuming you were lucky enough to run across any game that early. The better question is, "why do you feel the need to be condescending?"

So eggs don't work well as a primary food source in the wastelands where game is scarce. Okay. So the mechanic that makes that true is ridiculously gamey. Okay. So what? Living off endless fresh eggs in a blasted, poisonous wasteland thronged with fire demons and zombie vultures makes a better game? It'd sure be easier, but if easier food is what you want in this game, get out of the wastelands. Because there's not enough food there to get by on easily super-early. Because finding enough eggs already takes enough time, and then you have to find the glass jars to boil them in. Because you can't just boil them in a pot. Because it's a game.

Something like this is easily modded in.

Off the top of my head I'd say it's adding one line in the boiled egg recipe in the recipes.xml.

I've looked at it and the way they have the system organized, the fix would seem to be more convoluted than that. But, regardless, this is a simple oversight on the part of the dev team that should have been corrected a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a modlet to get jars back after you consume the item. Think of it as carrying your boiled food around in the jar until you are ready to eat it.

I'm sure there is, but the fact remains that the entire cooking system could use an overhaul.

Also, it would make more sense to think of them as pickled eggs in that respect. Something that could easily be implemented in a cooking system overhaul.

How many iterations are we going to see where we don't get our glass jars back from boiling eggs? Late game, sure, not a huge inconvenience. But, starting out, first couple of days, if you don't get lucky with your looting, it can be a HUGE issue. Even after the first couple of days, when boiled eggs are your primary food source, it's still a pain in the posterior.

There is a modlet to get jars back after you consume the item. Think of it as carrying your boiled food around in the jar until you are ready to eat it.

I'm sure there is, but the fact remains that the entire cooking system could use an overhaul.

Also, it would make more sense to think of them as pickled eggs in that respect. Something that could easily be implemented in a cooking system overhaul.

It probably could but I was just commenting on the OP of getting jars back from boiling eggs not on a complete overhaul.

I only see it as a day one issue. There are so many jars and you end up eating bacon eggs rather quickly... I guess unless you have not found a cooking pot, and in this case, why the hell haven't you found a cooking pot? I usually end up with between 10 and 20 of them on the first day.

I suppose for realism sake, maybe you get back broken glass... then you can pretend that boiling the glass jar directly on the fire broke it.

It's a negligible issue after the first few days but I would say that in the very early game it's a very real issue, not only finding jars but giving up any full jars you may have found to boil eggs is so crippling as to be not worth the resources.

As has been pointed out, a fix is easily modded in. The question is why this has never been an option in vanilla

The larger issue is that there are far too many glass jars in the first place, especially when you can boil water in a can. It begs the question why you can't boil an egg in a tin can when, given the option, I'd be using the can to boil water instead of the jar. Metal is a far better conductor of heat than glass and it's pretty hard to find a tin can small enough that you can't fit a large egg in it.

Or remove the glass jar from the recipe. I don't boil eggs in a jar, use a pot IRL. I don't mod so maybe altering the recipe is harder than returning the jar.

without water its not boiled, what do you do, just place an egg into the dry pot?

without water its not boiled, what do you do, just place an egg into the dry pot?

Well, that begs the question as to why I can't fill the pan with water to boil the eggs instead of consuming a jar and water at the same time. I guess if we want to be pedantic about it we could saw snowball + egg in pot makes boiled egg. I've never made boiled meat so I don't know if is uses a jar of water as well, but it likely does. This is the same argument we always have about eggs, meat and cornbread consuming the jar.

And in response to your query, I would have to retort Do you smash the jar to get the water out to boil the egg?

• 8 months later...

I'm still waiting for them to let you boil and egg in a empty can. Ask any hobo how they boil and egg over a fire and they will tell you, an empty can full of water.

Making eggs (which are currently HARDLY worth the effort/resources) required a cooking pot and a disposable glass jar is just silly. You can't farm eggs. At least make eggs EASY to cook given they poor food value.

All that said, wasting glass jars is just lazy. If you can drink water and have an empty glass jar, WHY can't you just pour it out in a pot instead of down your throat?

If the reason is balance, I can understand that, but it is an incredibly CLUNKY and non elegant way to achieve that.

i do think this is stupid and i'm wondering if someone made a modlet that returns the glass jar on all these recipes. as well as if there is a modlet that increases duration of the teas, beer, and coffee.

Yes. Kronons has had one out for quite a while.

Archived