Steam reviews - I kinda figured

hillbilly

I'm not gonna re-hash the 100 or so reviews I just skimmed over, but let me say that I am pleased to see MANY and I mean many many people feel the same way I do about A17. I no doubt got my moneys worth with 4.5k+ hours, the funnest game I have ever played, I could be a farmer or rambo, I could hide in a mine and work my life away, I could play any way I chose to, this ability is no longer in the game and either am I. I am very saddened to see the direction this alpha has taken the game.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and have an awesome new year!

You haven't really specified why you feel this way about the update though...

The changes to the biomes was unnecessary and an extremely poor decision, maps look like bland garbage now. As a server operator, the digging zombies is a #*()$ nightmare, I have cancelled my bluefang subscription and will not be hosting another 7dtd server until this mess of a decision is fixed. Optimization has steadily got worse with every alpha, multiplayer aspect has always been on the back burner and the digging zombies just ♥♥♥♥ all over MP servers, players and expecially server operators. It is so easy to grief people using zeds now, it is no fun, point blank. Land claims are useless when you can have zeds undermine your foes base.

I could go on and on and on, but no need, I'm not here to knock the devs, but I certainly want them to know that THIS is the alpha that killed the game for me, as a player and a server operator.

amusingly, most of the design decisions made for A17 seem to have been made specifically with multiplayer in mind.

complaints of zombie block damage are routinely countered by a dev chiming in that they's been watching youtube videos of people successfully defending a base on insane always run. Questions of "well, what about single player?" aren't responded to.

the attribute system is a distinctly multiplayer feature, encouraging and rewarding specialization between groups of players, while leaving single players struggling to pick up both the intelligence points they need AND the attributes and perks for their chosen playstyle.

In fact, even the digging zombies are a concession to multiplayer players, since hiding underground would be a complete nonissue in a pure single player game, the only reason to penalize underground bases is so that some players can't gain an advantage over others by not having to fight.

Learning by xp is similarly a change angled towards multiplayer and specialization...learning by doing generally made every player HAVE to spend either time or a LOT of levelling resources in order to be baseline competent in each activity, or gain access to QoL abilities like steel forging, looting, or stamina management....now those abilities are invested in equally...definitely a nod towards specialization, which is a nod towards multiplayer.

This:

multiplayer aspect has always been on the back burner
is COMPLETELY untrue, very specifically for this alpha

complaints of zombie block damage are routinely countered by a dev chiming in that they's been watching youtube videos of people successfully defending a base on insane always run.

The only real answer to that is to ramp up the difficulty of Insane. Seems like they tried adjusting the entire game to compensate for that and a lot of people view it as a fail.

If you want to make the game harder for Insane players, make the game harder for Insane players. The alternative is to get a lot of bad reviews and not sell any more games. Meaning the Dev's will get to see the game never fully realized, and likely unable to continue on as a viable company.

The consequence is that a passive player can't be passive anymore.

Hiding was a valid means for survival for the last 5 years, but now it's not.... because TFP's have decided it's not.

It's implications for griefing and PVP on multiplayer servers are much more drastic than the single players passivity.

A UI toggle for "zombies dig" would put this issue to rest and make everyone happy. As it stands now, it appears that it's not so easily modified without also damaging their ability to inflict damage to bases.

The consequence is that a passive player can't be passive anymore.

Hiding was a valid means for survival for the last 5 years, but now it's not.... because TFP's have decided it's not.

It's implications for griefing and PVP on multiplayer servers are much more drastic than the single players passivity.

A UI toggle for "zombies dig" would put this issue to rest and make everyone happy. As it stands now, it appears that it's not so easily modified without also damaging their ability to inflict damage to bases.

There's a difference between being able to play "passively" and digging a 2 meter hole in the ground in which you can stay and survive every horde night.

Digging zombies is a necessity, in my opinion, and one that took too long to come back.

There's a difference between being able to play "passively" and digging a 2 meter hole in the ground in which you can stay and survive every horde night.

Digging zombies is a necessity, in my opinion, and one that took too long to come back.

A necessity...hmmm, probably. This is one area though, where I do think TFP would be well advised to put an in-game menu option, "Digging Zombies Y/N". It's super fundamental, and modding it out (or in) is currently nigh on impossible I suspect.

I like the game now as a survival game, but i hate the fact that it is no longer a build your own world game.

IMO the reason there has always been quite loyal players and streamers is that you can spend a long time building almost anything you could imagine. This is the reason minecraft has lasted so long too, in that people like to build new and exciting structures.

By changing this dynamic, they're now going to have to constantly keep adding new and harder challenges because once we all get used to the new baseline difficulty, what else is there to do? Building huge mega structures is no longer a viable option for a large portion of the playerbase simply due to the time needed to invest to even get started.

As an example, i built a huge castle in a16 which took me until day 80 to finish the walls/inside [not the actual buildings inside but just the floor/grass] but with the huge nerf that building has taken in a17 it'ld take me over double that minimum and at 90min days . . . . that is just not viable and something that interests me. Yes previously it'ld take ages as well to build these huge structures but at least you could see a steady progress, now the progress would be at a snail pace and [in survival mode at least, not creative] wouldn't even be available to start until mid > late level due to a lot of the higher tier stuff not being available.

Now again i do like the new survival part of the game and i like that zombies are a challenge now but i do think that within a few weeks i'll be bored of the survival part and be longing for the building aspect of the game once again.

Thats my thoughts anyway :p I'ld still recommend the game as a survival game, but not as a base building game anymore.

A necessity...hmmm, probably. This is one area though, where I do think TFP would be well advised to put an in-game menu option, "Digging Zombies Y/N". It's super fundamental, and modding it out (or in) is currently nigh on impossible I suspect.

By having an option to turn it off, you're both removing an entire ability from the only threat in the game and allowing exploits in it as well.

Another one was to just put the bottom half of a fence around your base. Zombies would get stuck in it because they weren't able to hit down.

I agree, nonetheless, that at the very least it should be moddable.

Come back and say that after you kill 5000+ zombies. Killing zombies gets boring eventually. You'll be thinking, aww man horde night again? Gotta prepare again! Sometimes some of us want to take a break from horde night(s) and just mine underground to expand our world. We had that chance in a16. Not anymore.

You're also assuming that everyone can survive horde night. What if you're completely new to this game and have no idea what to do? Digging a hole and staying there all night is one technique to survive your first horde night.

7D2D already has tons of settings/options. Adding another setting/option to enable/disable digging won't hurt anyone.

By having an option to turn it off, you're both removing an entire ability from the only threat in the game and allowing exploits in it as well.

Which is why I cheered when digging zombies came back. :-)

I'm looking at the broader playerbase though, when I advocate for an option to turn digging zombies (and bandits) on or off. There were some players, indeed some of my own friends, who were absolute mole rats - it's just how they liked to play.

They don't play A17. :-(

Another one was to just put the bottom half of a fence around your base. Zombies would get stuck in it because they weren't able to hit down.

I agree, nonetheless, that at the very least it should be moddable.

Are we talking about the same game here? You have played 7D2D right? The only real threat zombies have is their ability to run. A running zombie is far more dangerous than a digging zombie. And surprise we even have the ability to enable/disable/change run options.

Come back and say that after you kill 5000+ zombies. Killing zombies gets boring eventually. You'll be thinking, aww man horde night again? Gotta prepare again! Sometimes some of us want to take a break from horde night(s) and just mine underground to expand our world. We had that chance in a16. Not anymore.

You're also assuming that everyone can survive horde night. What if you're completely new to this game and have no idea what to do? Digging a hole and staying there all night is one technique to survive your first horde night.

7D2D already has tons of settings/options. Adding another setting/option to enable/disable digging won't hurt anyone.

What even is the point of playing a survival game with hordes if you gotta use exploits... ? If it's too hard, turn down the difficulty. Heck, you can even choose for zombies to never run.

You can also mine all you want, I don't see the problem. Sure, you need to rank up the perks, but you can still do it, and there are plenty of options to choose from if all you wanna do is mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking about the same game here? You have played 7D2D right? The only real threat zombies have is their ability to run. A running zombie is far more dangerous than a digging zombie. And surprise we even have the ability to enable/disable/change run options.

Don't know about you, but digging zombies have given me quite a lot of trouble for being dumb and thinking they wouldn't be able to come down. The threat of the zombies comes in numbers, but those numbers mean nothing if the player can use easy exploits to avoid any challenge the game throws at you.

The changes to the biomes was unnecessary and an extremely poor decision, maps look like bland garbage now. As a server operator, the digging zombies is a #*()$ nightmare, I have cancelled my bluefang subscription and will not be hosting another 7dtd server until this mess of a decision is fixed.

I'd say that's a fair and mature reaction. Just take a break until they get things fixed. I wouldn't pay for a server for a game that was not playable to me.

What even is the point of playing a survival game with hordes if you gotta use exploits... ? If it's too hard, turn down the difficulty. Heck, you can even choose for zombies to never run.

You can also mine all you want, I don't see the problem. Sure, you need to rank up the perks, but you can still do it, and there are plenty of options to choose from if all you wanna do is mine.

For the last 5 years you could survive (ya know, the goal of the game) by hiding underground. Now you can't, and some players don't like being forced to play TFP want them to play the game. At it's core, it's the idea that you can invest time into building a secure area below ground and reap the reward of being able to dictate when you engage the zombies threat. Similar thing is true about base building, which they seem hellbent on destroying the ability to passively defeat the bloodmoon wave as well. Why can't I survive by investing all my time into mining and building a mega base with spikes, turrets, blackjack and hookers and let them do all the work for me? No.... TFP say. We must make the zombies into concrete eating machines that will bore a hole through your base so that you have to fight.

When the subject is broached on underground, they don't even seem to want to meet us halfway and allow them to sense you to 10 or 20 meters but not at greater depths. Or go into the discussion of heat generation in combination of depth. They even reduced the depth of bedrock to ensure their balancing of zombie sensitivity on the surface wasn't hindered.

They don't even seem to understand the nature of the problem with base building.

The tower defense style choices for how to survive have been greatly diminished, because they think we're playing the game wrong. We're looking around going, what game have you been playing for the last 5 years?

So now instead of exploiting the fact they didn't dig to build underground bases, we should build mazes to exploit the fact that they will just line up for you. How is this any more survival than digging a hole?

So now instead of exploiting the fact they didn't dig to build underground bases, we should build mazes to exploit the fact that they will just line up for you. How is this any more survival than digging a hole?

How? its a step in the right direction honestly...

Previously, you could hide and completely avoid the horde with minimal effort.

Now you have to fight them...there are plenty of exploits for the new AI sure, but the passive "i just sit in my base/underground and keep doing what i was doing and the fact that there is a horde at all is no consequence" is gone, and the exploits generally revolve around forcing the horde down predetermined paths where the players actively kill them.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about you, but digging zombies have given me quite a lot of trouble for being dumb and thinking they wouldn't be able to come down. The threat of the zombies comes in numbers, but those numbers mean nothing if the player can use easy exploits to avoid any challenge the game throws at you.

*sigh* You completely misunderstood my post about so many things... Also, I mentioned killing 5000+ zombies and you think the game is hard for me? SMH.

In short gamers like options. More options = more different playstyles. Having more options doesn't affect you, unless you have to change the default to something else. Having more options allows people to choose how they want to play the game. Why should you care if I want to play the game a certain way? If I want to disable zombies, let me, it's my game. If I want to hide underground on horde night, let me, it's MY GAME. Are you the zombie police? TFP allowed this 'exploit' for a very long time and suddenly changed that feature. So of course there will be people who play a certain style will ask for a toggle feature. Again, how does ADDING that toggle feature, affect you?

Now you have to fight them...there are plenty of exploits for the new AI sure, but the passive "i just sit in my base/underground and keep doing what i was doing and the fact that there is a horde at all is no consequence" is gone, and the exploits generally revolve around forcing the horde down predetermined paths where the players actively kill them.

But if you skipped the horde, then you missed out on all the XP and loot. There was no risk and no reward. Fine, play that way.

Now, there is effectively no loot from the zombies. So half the reward is gone, and we're also forced to take the risk. I'm sure people will love that.

If they wanted people to always fight the BM horde, then they should have used positive reinforcement. IE - Give the BM horde a chance of dropping legendary items or consumables that you could only get that way. Give people a greater reward to encourage them to play that way. Don't add road blocks in front of every other playstyle.

they do have positive reinforcement....the horde is the best source of xp-per-time in the game atm.

your point is valid though....since the swap to xp-only advancement, those cave-dwelling people would be missing out on several levels of advancement every 7 days by avoiding...it seemed a redundant change to reward fighting and force fighting at the same time.

*sigh* You completely misunderstood my post about so many things... Also, I mentioned killing 5000+ zombies and you think the game is hard for me? SMH.

In short gamers like options. More options = more different playstyles. Having more options doesn't affect you, unless you have to change the default to something else. Having more options allows people to choose how they want to play the game. Why should you care if I want to play the game a certain way? If I want to disable zombies, let me, it's my game. If I want to hide underground on horde night, let me, it's MY GAME. Are you the zombie police? TFP allowed this 'exploit' for a very long time and suddenly changed that feature. So of course there will be people who play a certain style will ask for a toggle feature. Again, how does ADDING that toggle feature, affect you?

There comes a moment when you have to decide between having a full on sandbox game or having an actual survival game. This game is a survival game, with elements of tower defense and waves of enemies that you have to fight off. I'm fine with having options, but I'm not fine with having too many of them that are completely unnecessary or that simply make the goal of the game absolutely pointless.

Also, I wasn't talking about you having difficulty with the game or not. I was talking about the people you mentioned that may find the game too difficult. Take notice that what I said also applies to experienced players as well. If you're just tired of fighting zombies, there's plenty of options to tweak already in order to fit your playstyle.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy gets it.

Why even have zombies on if you are just going to hide underground? Since when should zombies drop amazing loot? They aren't meant to be a delivery service of loot that's just nonsense go out and find the loot in buildings. All these people whine and complain about the zombies do way to much block damage, here is the solution change the block durability to 200% along with a lower difficulty settings so they don't wreck your base. I mean if you want crazy easy zombies and uber loot just put the game at the easiest setting, air drops every day, 200% loot abundance and 200% block durability.

With so many folks complaining I can see why the old easy mode of WAR of the walkers mod was so popular and then when the difficulty got bumped just a bit people whined and complained so much.

Why even have zombies on if you are just going to hide underground? Since when should zombies drop amazing loot? They aren't meant to be a delivery service of loot that's just nonsense go out and find the loot in buildings. All these people whine and complain about the zombies do way to much block damage, here is the solution change the block durability to 200% along with a lower difficulty settings so they don't wreck your base. I mean if you want crazy easy zombies and uber loot just put the game at the easiest setting, air drops every day, 200% loot abundance and 200% block durability.

With so many folks complaining I can see why the old easy mode of WAR of the walkers mod was so popular and then when the difficulty got bumped just a bit people whined and complained so much.

The point is that there was a large group of people that enjoyed playing the way that they want and to deal with the horde at their leisure. There were builders, crafters and miners that enjoyed this game as well, and they are the majority of the people you see complaining about it, and this exactly the point of view that is alienating them from enjoying the game. 7dtd's lackluster version of zombie killing has never been a major selling point of this game and the Pimps can't just force it to be.

Archived