Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zombies always know your exact location

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Zombies always know your exact location

    I was watching someone play this, they were underground making a mine. They got stuck on a crate they made making their head stick through the ceiling, a bug of course but it showed an interesting fact. Zombies were swarming the area right above his location even though they had no line of sight to him but knew exactly where he was under ground, and started to dig down to him.

    I know there are changes coming to the path finding and a stealth system, however I was just wondering if there will be a change so the zombies don't zero in on your exact location without being able to see you.

    #2
    Yes this is going to change. This they zero in on you was a alpha phase to test tower defence. The zombies had to know where you was so they could horde in on your building to test how easy it was for them to get to you.

    But this phase is ending and the next is coming next week some time if there are no set backs that come into play.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Droknar View Post
      I was watching someone play this, they were underground making a mine. They got stuck on a crate they made making their head stick through the ceiling, a bug of course but it showed an interesting fact. Zombies were swarming the area right above his location even though they had no line of sight to him but knew exactly where he was under ground, and started to dig down to him.

      I know there are changes coming to the path finding and a stealth system, however I was just wondering if there will be a change so the zombies don't zero in on your exact location without being able to see you.
      Yes. It has been stated that zombies will be attracted to light and sound.

      The magical zombie sense will hopefully be gone in Alpha 2.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Hexxd View Post
        Yes. It has been stated that zombies will be attracted to light and sound.
        That sounds amazing, but how will they keep nighttime dangerous if you take away all the lights and not make too much sound?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Dr Shrimp View Post
          That sounds amazing, but how will they keep nighttime dangerous if you take away all the lights and not make too much sound?
          You have to be able to see in the night somehow right? So they would be attracted to that light and your footsteps.

          Comment


            #6
            It's pretty hard to see in the wilderness without lights unless you live near a city full of light pollution.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Dr Shrimp View Post
              That sounds amazing, but how will they keep nighttime dangerous if you take away all the lights and not make too much sound?
              I'm concerned about this too. It's a mixed thing. The danger of night is part of the thrill of the game. Danger is putting it mildly. It's suicide to be out at night. At the same time, early on there isn't a whole lot you can do at night except hang out somewhere safe waiting for night to pass, which isn't all that compelling. It'll be interesting to see how this changes.

              The other thing with the zombies slamming you at night is that it compels you to build a base that can withstand the hammering and that ends up being a major goal and focus.

              Before you get supplies rolling to make a more solid base you'll likely make a temporary base and have to keep that maintained due to the zombie beat down on it.

              If you take away the night time zombie "invasions" it'd seem to take away a lot of what the game currently offers for stuff to do and to take away some of the danger or thrill (but of course, I'm sure they'll add something to keep things spicy - flying mobs and climbing mobs will change a lot of how we currently bunker down).

              I have zero interest in PvP and play co-op so having stuff to do and a sense of danger that doesn't derive from griefing douchebags is a good thing.

              Comment


                #8
                You've probably seen this on the map this area I made it into my main "fort" and as you can see the damage the zombies have done to it.
                To the left that used to be completely flat and they dug all of that out and they have two tunnels underneath the actual complex which I have to constantly fill in and reinforce.

                I'm constantly having to fix EVERYTHING but that makes this game so fun because everything is tense and there isn't many moments where you feel safe.

                Eventually its just going to collapse because as a single player I cannot afford to hunt for stuff for repairs, food/water and ammo in the short time you can go outside.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I was perplexed by this issue too, good to see it is being fixed soon. Sounds like alpha 2 is going to be sooo awesome. Ive spent 50 days in game so far on this build, ive never spent this much time in an alpha version of a game ever.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Voqar View Post
                    I'm concerned about this too. It's a mixed thing. The danger of night is part of the thrill of the game. Danger is putting it mildly. It's suicide to be out at night. At the same time, early on there isn't a whole lot you can do at night except hang out somewhere safe waiting for night to pass, which isn't all that compelling. It'll be interesting to see how this changes.

                    The other thing with the zombies slamming you at night is that it compels you to build a base that can withstand the hammering and that ends up being a major goal and focus.

                    Before you get supplies rolling to make a more solid base you'll likely make a temporary base and have to keep that maintained due to the zombie beat down on it.

                    If you take away the night time zombie "invasions" it'd seem to take away a lot of what the game currently offers for stuff to do and to take away some of the danger or thrill (but of course, I'm sure they'll add something to keep things spicy - flying mobs and climbing mobs will change a lot of how we currently bunker down).

                    I have zero interest in PvP and play co-op so having stuff to do and a sense of danger that doesn't derive from griefing douchebags is a good thing.

                    yea co-op surviving is the way to go....Dayz just ruined that for me. My clan thats all they do...i am like the only hero in the group. I viritually stopped playing as I wanted dayz to be all about the zombies/survival...not CoD inspired gameplay. If i wanted that i would go play cod of play arma 2 on regualr multiplayer bah!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Cool, thanks for the response everyone. Everything sounds like it will be great. Wish I knew people who played this, co-op would be great.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I got bored building and rebuilding my house. Yawn.

                        Stopped playing because there were 80 (open debug and count 'em, they come in two waves of 40.) Zombies spawning each night, and not despawning. FPS Killer. What if there were occasional zombie sieges, where out of nowhere no matter how quiet or dark you acted a group just bum rushed you? They should be sparse too to really keep the paranoia! That would be awesome.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I got bored building and rebuilding my house. Yawn.

                          Stopped playing because there were 80 (open debug and count 'em, they come in two waves of 40.) Zombies spawning each night, and not despawning. FPS Killer. What if there were occasional zombie sieges, where out of nowhere no matter how quiet or dark you acted a group just bum rushed you? They should be sparse too to really keep the paranoia! That would be awesome.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Ye this needs to be fixed.

                            They should be attracted to light/sound etc.

                            Though they need to think this out well otherwise the game would get to easy.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Voqar View Post
                              I'm concerned about this too. It's a mixed thing. The danger of night is part of the thrill of the game. Danger is putting it mildly. It's suicide to be out at night. At the same time, early on there isn't a whole lot you can do at night except hang out somewhere safe waiting for night to pass, which isn't all that compelling. It'll be interesting to see how this changes.

                              The other thing with the zombies slamming you at night is that it compels you to build a base that can withstand the hammering and that ends up being a major goal and focus.

                              Before you get supplies rolling to make a more solid base you'll likely make a temporary base and have to keep that maintained due to the zombie beat down on it.

                              If you take away the night time zombie "invasions" it'd seem to take away a lot of what the game currently offers for stuff to do and to take away some of the danger or thrill (but of course, I'm sure they'll add something to keep things spicy - flying mobs and climbing mobs will change a lot of how we currently bunker down).

                              I have zero interest in PvP and play co-op so having stuff to do and a sense of danger that doesn't derive from griefing douchebags is a good thing.
                              I dont really see zombies as a big threat right now to be honest, that's why I'm so scared that this dramatic change might make them even less of a threat.
                              I want to be forced to use my head while building a base, not exploit stairs and trenches and spend the rest of night sitting in a corner not sure what to do.
                              If zombies are attracted to light and sound, Can't I just build my base 10 blocks underground or make a really high tower so zombies won't attack me at all?

                              I like it that zombies attack your base every night, it's pretty much the core of this game and the reason why many people bought it in the first place.
                              Daytime looting, nighttime fortifying zombie madness.
                              In my opinion this should stay intact and should definitely be improved on otherwise we could end up with an entirely different game.

                              But ofcourse this is just me being concerned, I love this game so far.
                              Last edited by Dr Shrimp; 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X