Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayzenFreeze
    replied
    yes I really do not like this at all. And I hope he gets fixed. I don't know how many times I have been digging underground deep underground, then dig straight up in the middle of nowhere, with a ladder just to reach the surface with dozens of zombies waiting. Or worse, being at the very bottom underground and turn on creative mode g just to see the surface has zombies swarming above you even know there's no way they know you're there. But as they said it's alpha and they're working on it. Hope it's fixed soon thank you.

Leave a comment:

• legionpete
    replied
    I'm pretty sure I read on the old forums that they won't know where you are at in Alpha 2. I vaguely remember someone saying they only knew where you were because they were testing the tower defense against the zombies and they needed to be able to test how they reacted to the structures you were in.

Leave a comment:

• ChibiVitani
    replied
    Originally posted by Cernunos View Post
    You and others have made a very good point of this. Here are some things I think could help keep the game challenging.

I believe I read that the devs plan to incorporate crafted items to help mask a survivors smell, sounds, etc. These items could be treated as consumables that lose efficacy. So, as an example, if rubbing decomposing muck on yourself helps to mask your smell to zombie hordes, you can stealth pretty easily, even at night. But, make the mistake of lighting up a torch to check your map (another idea someone suggested as opposed to the globally available map key function) or let the muck wear too long, and suddenly you're attracting way more attention than is comfortable. I agree the onslaught of zombies at night is a huge attraction of this game for me. And it loses appeal if this element is compromised. I think being able to explain the Zombies' abilities to sense a survivor as perhaps a 6th sense of the undead could go a long ways story wise. The craftables could help with a system to enable stealth, could lose effectiveness, etc. etc. Finally, adding a style of play that would allow a survivor to be truly heinous, and therefore less detectable, could also play over well. That, or keeping "domesticated zombies" in close proximity to help mask a life presence (wha's Walking Dead?... :\ ) Anyways, just some more ideas for people to chew on. I'm throwing lots of these out in the forum. Some are gold and some are $h!te.
    I love the idea of rubbing a 'rotting muck' on yourself or something in order to lower your chances of detection. Perhaps something made from a piece of zombie/rotten flesh and some of that 'garbage goo' that always seems to materialise in the bottom of the kitchen bin by the time 'spring cleaning' of the house rolls around (which could be found as a 'goop' in 'pile of rotting garbage' and may only be collected if you have an empty glass jar in your inventory, replacing the empty jar with 'jar of gabage goo' or something).

Alternately, and as a side note, I'm curious as to whether there will be any 'equippable items' such as clothes? For instance: taking a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt from one of the many corpses lying around (not necessarily zombie corpses) and putting them on? The stink of the former owner, now deceased, would mask the player's 'live' smell for a while, but at the cost of this being effective for a short time -maybe two or three hours, just long enough to run from your nearly-destroyed safehouse to a secondary safehouse nearby- and also at the cost of draining your stamina or stamina not replenishing naturally while the items are equipped, something like that, because of the (percieved) psychological effects of wearing the duds of the freshly dead. (No, I don't mean 'add a sanity meter' or something like that. I play this for the roleplaying aspect, and I'll freely admit that if I had to strip a bloated corpse and put on its' slimy, bloodied and stinking clothes just to save my own skin, that would mess up my head.)

My final idea offering before I post this: Something like a Molotov Cocktail (an empty glass jar under a piece of cloth, makes a 'Molotov jar', which can be right-clicked on an Oil Barrel to fill, where 1 barrel is good for 36 Molotovs, the equivalent of 1 gas can holding enough fuel to fill 6 jars) which the player can stealthily throw for an explosion that would burn for a little bit afterwards and distract the zombies, resulting in them staggering over to the impact point to investigate, leaving the player a short window of opportunity to sneak away. I read elsewhere that gas cans might/were becoming a renewable resource, which should counter the idea of using a 'rare' item for this.

Cheers,
    ChibiVitani

Leave a comment:

• Cernunos
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Shrimp View Post
    I dont really see zombies as a big threat right now to be honest, that's why I'm so scared that this dramatic change might make them even less of a threat.
    I want to be forced to use my head while building a base, not exploit stairs and trenches and spend the rest of night sitting in a corner not sure what to do.
    If zombies are attracted to light and sound, Can't I just build my base 10 blocks underground or make a really high tower so zombies won't attack me at all?

I like it that zombies attack your base every night, it's pretty much the core of this game and the reason why many people bought it in the first place.
    Daytime looting, nighttime fortifying zombie madness.
    In my opinion this should stay intact and should definitely be improved on otherwise we could end up with an entirely different game.

But ofcourse this is just me being concerned, I love this game so far.
    You and others have made a very good point of this. Here are some things I think could help keep the game challenging.

I believe I read that the devs plan to incorporate crafted items to help mask a survivors smell, sounds, etc. These items could be treated as consumables that lose efficacy. So, as an example, if rubbing decomposing muck on yourself helps to mask your smell to zombie hordes, you can stealth pretty easily, even at night. But, make the mistake of lighting up a torch to check your map (another idea someone suggested as opposed to the globally available map key function) or let the muck wear too long, and suddenly you're attracting way more attention than is comfortable. I agree the onslaught of zombies at night is a huge attraction of this game for me. And it loses appeal if this element is compromised. I think being able to explain the Zombies' abilities to sense a survivor as perhaps a 6th sense of the undead could go a long ways story wise. The craftables could help with a system to enable stealth, could lose effectiveness, etc. etc. Finally, adding a style of play that would allow a survivor to be truly heinous, and therefore less detectable, could also play over well. That, or keeping "domesticated zombies" in close proximity to help mask a life presence (wha's Walking Dead?... :\ ) Anyways, just some more ideas for people to chew on. I'm throwing lots of these out in the forum. Some are gold and some are $h!te.

Oh, also, as I can only guess the devs have considered, a swarming a.i. for the zombies. Even if only one zombie senses or hears you, let out a screech and 5 more come running and can sense you. This only builds and builds until you and your base and mates are overrun. I kinda assume this is already part of the a.i. of the zombies though because of the way my safehouse gets swarmed every single night. They know I'm there whether I'm sitting still, crouching, have a torch or not.

As a final note, though maybe off topic from the post I'm quoting in response to, can I just put out there that I'm not a huge fan of the flying zombie concept. If we're talking about flocks of raptors or carrion birds that have been feeding on infected flesh, that's one thing and would play just fine. If we're talking about human corpses that have reanimated and sprouted wings out their backend, I just can't help but picture the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. We may as well give them the little Fez hats too. My mantra for this game, and the whole reason this game has a HUGE draw for me over the plethora of any of the other zombie games is the believability of it. i.e., $h1t, this could really happen! Lol, for some reason Zombies is perfectly believable, but flying zombie, well, that's just absurd (?) LMFAO

Best,
    D
    Last edited by Cernunos; 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by Martial-Law View Post
    Take your time doing it Fox...

If you put the water in the wrong place it can be V V V hard to rectify the mistake!

You also need to have a 1 deep trench at the bottom of the waterfall

Link to image of what Im talking about:

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...pse6026c50.jpg
    Thanks

If full stealth is implemented and zombies roam around more, eventually they'll hear you opening a chest or walking around and will call out to the rest of the hordes... either way, I assume not moving at all will be the only sure way of being safe from them... and I like that.
    Last edited by Fox; 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Berkan
    replied
    Originally posted by lubu8055 View Post
    to all the people saying "it will be too easy if they have to see/smell you" well how about the fact at night time 80 zombies or whatever will spawn and if you make the slightest noise or let out some light they will all charge at you! but even if that doesn't happen you still have to go out and kill them all in the morning (granted they are easier in the day) if you wish to loot everything.
    And maybe zombies start following each other and have some kind of communication.

Leave a comment:

• lubu8055
    replied
    to all the people saying "it will be too easy if they have to see/smell you" well how about the fact at night time 80 zombies or whatever will spawn and if you make the slightest noise or let out some light they will all charge at you! but even if that doesn't happen you still have to go out and kill them all in the morning (granted they are easier in the day) if you wish to loot everything.

Leave a comment:

• Berkan
    replied
    Originally posted by Realwarior View Post
    Your display pic is stubbs the zombie am I correct?
    Yes but I editted a little bit so it looked better.

Leave a comment:

• UncleChester
    replied
    Who cares if the zombies can sniff you out. If alls you are in it for is to build your pretty little fortress then go play Minecraft. I'll be one of a very few that says I like it exactly the way it is.

Leave a comment:

• Realwarior
    replied
    Your display pic is stubbs the zombie am I correct?

Leave a comment:

• Berkan
    replied
    Originally posted by fox4562 View Post
    I thought this was going to be included in alpha 2? or is that a typo?
    I think its just a little bit improved in alpha 2 and in alpha 3 it will be completly finished.

Leave a comment:

• fox4562
    replied
    Originally posted by madmole View Post
    In alpha 3 Zombies will no longer know where you are (at least in survival mode) (hint: we're doing full stealth for alpha 3).
    I thought this was going to be included in alpha 2? or is that a typo?

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    This is annoying imo.

Hopefully gets fixed.. Or changed

Leave a comment:

• madmole
    replied
    In alpha 3 Zombies will no longer know where you are (at least in survival mode) (hint: we're doing full stealth for alpha 3).

Leave a comment:

• Kotton
    replied
    It wont be suicide once the stealth and diversion system is in place. Nighttime wont matter as long as your quiet or use the fart cover up stuff you can craft soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X