7DTD Wiki

Khulkhuum

Hey all. I would like to ask about the gamepedia wiki for 7DTD under 7daystodie.gamepedia.com/7_Days_to_Die_Wiki

The site doesnt harbor much attention, but i sometimes see people posting changes here and there, even with lack of any info in the help and admin pages. Ibhave been using it for quite some time and woukd like to help in updating its contents.

Are there any people here who work on content for this portal that i can message with questions and ideas? I am browsing through what i can find, but it would be faster (which means faster focus on content) if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Well i noticed practically anyone could log in through Gamepedia and change anything. I practically logged in and updated the biomes page on the fly and didn't need any verification.

I am simply curious about any templates or guidelines to use when updating the pages. I do aim to spend time on this, especially as a lot needs updating.

For the time being, i'll simply gather info and do some minor updates.

I think wiki's are probably even less fun to redo than mods with each update...

They probably are,

But when you think, that a lot of games have them and normally the 1st port of call is to find one and have a look, especially as a wiki site helps start a game from its “early” stages as 7 Days to Die has

Surely it should it be part of the game developers to at least try to keep it updated themselves?

They probably are,

But when you think, that a lot of games have them and normally the 1st port of call is to find one and have a look, especially as a wiki site helps start a game from its “early” stages as 7 Days to Die has

Surely it should it be part of the game developers to at least try to keep it updated themselves?

huh...I was under the impression that most wikis are fan generated with developers granting permission for game images to be used.... but I'd like to meet a developer who has time to update a wiki about his game instead of programming his game so I can steer clear of both his wiki and his game...

huh...I was under the impression that most wikis are fan generated with developers granting permission for game images to be used.... but I'd like to meet a developer who has time to update a wiki about his game instead of programming his game so I can steer clear of both his wiki and his game...

Yeah, this is how it's typically done. With some it's open to everyone kinds like Wikipedia is, and others will choose select members of the player base via entry forms or guide writing contests.

Once I was supporting a game that didn't have a wiki, so I made my own. Later they decided to make their own wiki, and it was amazingly similar to my website. Formatting and all... :distrust: I updated both for a while, but then the developers showed they really didn't care about anything but squeezing every last penny out of the players so I quit.

It's mostly updated by players. There was even a thread on it once.

I keep telling myself I'll give it a good round of updates since I used to do that a lot for other games I managed, but I never seem to have any real free time to play with it.

I'm with SylenThunder here! I mean think about it... Would you rather play or update the wiki? For me and my zed like abilities I play <LOL>

I'm with SylenThunder here! I mean think about it... Would you rather play or update the wiki? For me and my zed like abilities I play <LOL>

I don't mind playing and updating, especially as i have been pumped up to update it ;) Also, i get to know more about the game itself, which is an added bonus.

I think the biggest problem with updating the wiki is taking into consideration how every page is created.

1. You have item description pages, whereas each can have its own set of "parameters" defined, but not everything works to every material. Many things can be melted in the forge, not everything can be looted (found in containers), some things can only be scavenged from other objects (using a wrench or simply a stone axe) and also there are only those that can be crafted, nothing else.

2. You have list pages, whereas there is only a table created for a specific category. So you modify or use items that are in a specific category, rather than simply each table record by another.

3. Big description pages - an example would be Biome page which i updated and had a lot of info there for many different pages (i'm talking initially). It had info on Plains, Desert, Wasteland, etc.

4. Many items have some categories which i don't really understand what are their purpose. Maybe reflecting onto how these items can be used (for example Nails item page has Ammunition category, which is true, but it's not only that).

For the time being i focus on segregating items into categories and will try to update all of their info later on(updating only necessary now) .

Archived