Thinking of buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of buying

So found this game through a friend and am seriously considering buying it but have a few questions.

1. How is the multiplayer and mainly how easy is it to find a group of GOOD people to play with? Are there clans or guilds per say? Where I would find this game fun is starting fresh with a distinct group of players and trying to survive as a unit.

2. Some multiplayer games like minecraft for instance allows for multiplayer lan play with 1 copy, so 2-3 people playing lan game with 1 license. Is that possible or am I going to have to buy licenses for me and my daughter who will play occasionally?

3. Once we buy alpha we get free updates?

Thanks for any answers/comments.

Sorry I can't really answer 1. and 2. myself, as I've either just been playing single player or on a friends server.

But once purchased you will get all future updates for free, including the completed game etc.

Comment

1. I think it's probably too early to tell right now, multiplayer modes and even the game itself aren't fully developed yet so I think it's very much a gray area right now. There is supposed to be some multiplayer stuff happening in the next patch coming "Soon(TM)", as that side of the game is fleshed out it'll probably be much easier to get a feel for where the online community will head in terms of guilds / clans and other social connections.

2. I believe there is some lan connectivity for private games but I don't know if you will require more than one license or not.

3. Correct, if you buy into the alpha stage project now you get access to the the most current development build of the game that's released and all future dev builds released including the final finished product at the "end". After the official release I would expect we'll still get the usual free patches / bug fix type updates most games do and maybe DLC content to buy further down the line.

Comment

1. It is easy now to find a group if you just join a server and ask in chat a lot of people will team up lots of nice people 95% of the people won't kill on sight.

2. On this game you play with an account and you can't multi log so no.

3. Yes you get perm free updates.

Comment

Thanks!

The multiplayer is fully functional correct?

Comment

Originally posted by hallsofvallhalla View Post
            Thanks!

The multiplayer is fully functional correct?
            No the multiplayer is decent at the moment but that's because the owners of the servers adjust it.
            There aren't a lot of servers out and its very messy.
            Its very fun to play now with friends on a server don't expect to play like dayZ or something.
            It will be better once they release alpha 2 (next week)
            Last edited by Berkan; 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Are there features missing? Crashing? Hard to find the servers? What is the trouble? I am going to go ahead and buy and thanks for the info but I am also looking to host a server. I have a few VPS's I can use but want to know what I am getting into.

Comment

Are there features missing? Crashing? Hard to find the servers? What is the trouble? I am going to go ahead and buy and thanks for the info but I am also looking to host a server. I have a few VPS's I can use but want to know what I am getting into.
                I haven't had a crash so far and this is what everyone uses to find servers as of now:
                http://7daystodie-servers.com/

I dont know much about setting up a server, but a friend of mine made one by opening up port 2500 and I joined by typing down his IP.

Comment

This is an Alpha game my friend, meaning that it is not anywhere near completion at this stage. Multiplayer is almost non existent with some people making their own ways of playing online but if you dare play multiplayer you will be doing so at your own risk as it is not supported by the pimps as of yet. You will be better off playing the BETA if you wish to play the game with most of the intended features as well as multiplayer.

edit: forgot to mention that alpha 2 is due next week which will be a huge update adding lots of content from what the pimps have been saying! maybe check that out
                  Last edited by lubu8055; 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

so mutiplayer is a hack?

Thanks for all the quick and kind responses. I have been deciding between this and space engineers so wanted to get the low down. I think I am going to grab this though. It looks like a blast. Cannot believe $35 for a game in alpha though!

Comment

think there was a how-to on setting up a server by yourself in the old forums, perhaps have a look there if you wanna set on up, tried it myself but didn't really succeed

also saw another launcher, you can dinf that one in the old forum archive

Comment

so mutiplayer is a hack?

Thanks for all the quick and kind responses. I have been deciding between this and space engineers so wanted to get the low down. I think I am going to grab this though. It looks like a blast. Cannot believe $35 for a game in alpha though!
                        just to clarify NO it is not a hack but it is not supported by the pimps so if something goes wrong it's your problem, not theirs. They are apparently adding support next update (next week). You aren't buying just the alpha you are buying every update forever! including the full release. This game is amazing and i highly recommend it but don't be expecting a smooth ride haha

Comment

as a game developer myself I understand the joys and the not so happy moments of an Alpha. Sounds good, thanks for all the advice. You have been VERY helpful.

Comment

as a game developer myself I understand the joys and the not so happy moments of an Alpha. Sounds good, thanks for all the advice. You have been VERY helpful.
                            Multiplayer isn't that bad actually - I think some people have had bad experiences that's all. It functions just like single player, and if you don't overload the server there isn't noticeable lag or anything - just make sure you're running it on fairly decent hardware.
                            Plus Alpha 2 is very soon and multiplayer and the general game is going to get a lot better!
                            Just let me know if you need any help setting things up server side if you are making your own multiplayer server!

Dom

Comment

I was actually just looking at your server hosting. Great prices. I may just go that route instead of using my own VPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X