Not sure if it works this way now.

sandman2838

Just updated to 17.2, and after chatting with group decided to see what happened with the new xp multiplier and shared xp to see how high a level we could get by first horde. Set multiplier to 3, shared to max range and ran with 4 players on Nomad except no loot respawn, no airdrops and zombies never run.

Quickly got my hands on an iron pick axe, and it was ridiculous. By morning of day 7 I was making motor cycles, our base was solid concrete (rebuilt a ranger base) with 3 rows of spikes and two of barbed wire. Had a drawbridge entrance as well as an underground. I was level 76, with over 400 kills, my group was a bit behind, right around level 55, but mostly because I did most of the mining, busting up boulders for far too many xp, all the while gaining xp from the z's I attracted, as well as those my party killed.

Thought we had it made, as we stood around congratulating ourselves and making fun of how ridiculous the xp multiplier, the sharing, and the xp for rocks were, then the sky started to go red and all he&& broke loose. It all started around 6pm on day 7 as three wandering hordes, and two screamers kept us from getting bored waiting for the actual horde, then the horizon turned a strange sort of glowing green as a mass of irradiated zombies rushed toward us. I took a brief moment to count the blur, gave up and started firing my rifle. It took a bit over a minute real time to realize this was not a day 7 horde, in fact, it wasn't even a day 14 horde as cops, strippers, hazmat guys, you name it all swarmed our base, literally walking through the barb wire and the concrete walls like they weren't even there.

I quickly ran through all two hundred rounds of ammo for the rifle, as well as a hundred for the shotgun. My bow was barely functionable, and the spiked club was down to less than half (Lvl6) though I can't swear it was fully repaired at start. Burned through my bandages, tried fleeing the house, only to be greeted by more guests eager to shake my hand and bite it off. Turned around to open the drawbridge only to discover four friends from the canine shelter had come by as well.

I came to and realized one of my guests must have accidentally squished my bed during the party, and I was standing in the desert nearly a click away. Feathers, stone, wood, plant fiber, and off I ran making a basic set of weapons as I listened to my group scream out curses. Now things were getting really interesting, as the group screamed about green stuff spraying up through the ground. (Yes, there were cops underground, and their vomit was actually spraying through the air.)

Apparently, one of the party had tried escaping through the tunnel and been followed by the remaining zombies.

Now we really had a mess, as the cops vomited through the ground at our feet, our base looked worse than half the bombed-out buildings in the desert town we had raided, nobody had any ammo left and we could hear the z's all around under our feet, slowly destroying the structural integrity of the entire area. Apparently, they can dig downward, but have no idea how to dig upward.

Now, being the brave soul, the eldest, and the only one with a decent spiked club left, plus the fact that I had missed a good part of the end of the battle, I did what any good, red blooded leader would do. I downed a beer, grabbed my club and went to visit out rowdy guests. Now, my reasoning was, a maze of hallways would provide good one on one melee, and I should have a decent chance. What really happened was more akin to the "They're going to eat your *$$ off!" comment my companions shouted as their way of encouragement.

Beer only makes you think your better and braver, and those effects don't necessarily matter against twenty plus hungry z's, not that I was counting, at least I quit after counting the six glowing greens and lots of movement behind. Fortunately, I respawned only a short distance away. My return was met with some appropriate told you so's as well as a discussion to rebuild or relocate. By now, morning had arrived and apparently the guests had either departed or fallen asleep, I wasn't going to go check on them.

"Well, at least the drawbridge is still intact." I thought as we all began gathering what we could and loading our bikes. Of course, we all tread lightly, not even sure the ground around the base was still safe. Not sure how many kills I had, or anyone else for that matter. I just know that was the most by the seat of your pants, oh crap! chunk of time I've ever gotten out of this game!

You and your friends had gamestages between 100-130 if I calculated correctly. That should have been about the equivalent of a day 28 horde. There is such a zombie horde normal.

By the way, a tunnel under the base is a bad idea. The zombies can dig now.

tunnels and mines under bases are just fine (i have a massive network under my base).

Yes, zombies can dig, but in my 105+ days I've encountered an issue only once and that was when I was near the surface and a screamer grew aware of my presence. Go deep enough, mine away from where screamers walk, and take due care and there's little/no risk.

You and your friends had gamestages between 100-130 if I calculated correctly. That should have been about the equivalent of a day 28 horde. There is such a zombie horde normal.

My partner and I have mined under our base at bedrock. Zeds are no problem. After bailing out of our surface base to the tunnels, they dig after us, but we just move along the tunnels. We have kilometers of tunnels. Think about it.

Great story!

Thanks! That's the point. This game is all about getting you on the edge of your seat, sweating like crazy as you madly seek a way to survive. Somehow I doubt day 7 would have been so interesting otherwise. People can tell you how it works, I am just glad when all their advice goes to %*(@ and they start screaming as the z's rip through their plans like so much rice paper.

Archived