So grateful!

amazombie

No. Just no.

If they said "look, here's the MF tea: we needed to change this, sorry modders we really appreciate you and hope you continue with this new system"

sure...

but not saying anything and just f***ing over part of your community is just the worst.

Not arguing about legality. Obviously theyare allowed. Its just a ♥♥♥♥ move. And when before I was really always close to buying the game, now I won't. (Same with GTA 5 btw)

I don't support ♥♥♥♥ devs.

No they dont. But if you followed the game, its been a point of contention for a long time. Hinterland at times has banned people for even talking about mods, not instructions or links, but simply bringing them up. They've been promising for 3 + years official mod support.

No one expects them to support the mods, of course if a mod breaks its modders issue. but their reasoning for not wanting them and their overall attitude over the years has been quite bad, and very dismissive of the modding part of their fan base

Just saying I like this community and the open dialog we've always had with the devs here.

"its not officially supported therefor f*** you!"

damn... some devs... but I bet there will be the avid defender saying "it is their game and they can whatever they want with it" :D

I have that game in my library, but never played it. I guess I will have to give it a try at some point. That being said, I didn't follow the events that led the community there to this outrage, but I clicked the link in the OP's post and there were couple of statements from the devs. The short one was this:

Short-ish answer: mods broke because of a change in Unity we adopted to improve performances. To fix the current PC crash, we may have to roll that back and mods may work again for a short period of time. That is until we find a way to get those performance improvements in safely again, at which point mods are likely to break again. As for why we are currently not supporting mods, we have made it clear in the past: there are a lot of competing priorities while making a game like The Long Dark, with a team our size, at the level of quality that we want. At this stage, mods just create more work for our team still working and focusing on the core game (bug reports, performance issues etc.). We are looking forward to doing mod support justice with proper tools at a later stage.

I think that when it comes to performance (and let's be honest we all are familiar with this in our favorite 7 Days To Die game too), it is important for most players to get the best, so it is for the developers themselves.

I can imagine that if the modding potential and options to mod this game had no limits, but performance was horrible, you all would give The Fun Pimps hell until they fix the game for you, because you could care less for that cool new mod if you can't even play the base game on your 10 years old potato PC.

From what I've read on couple of the first pages I went through there, developers didn't really have that kind of condescending attitude you're portraying here, so let's not do them wrong, because that explanation there was fair enough for reasonable people.

No, I admit his first response was fine, for the most part the part about it not being intentional and about performance where spot on. But a bit later on in the thread he's arguing with people. His views that modding the game are that its disrespectful to the developers. I'll be honest, its a bit hard to understand if you are part of that community, but the general vibe from them over the years has been , this is the game and if you dont like it f you and things like that.

bottom line is I was just trying to convey my appreciation for the community we have here.

[...]

as I didnt follow or really read up on this specific case (was meant more as a general attitude that I have seen a lot before, not always about mods but different aspects like changing a core feature like flyers in ark, introducing sharkcards and banning mod users in gta5 or purposefully making the game uneditable like subnautica (I am panicially afraid of deep waters so I wanted either a way to defend myself or remove the leviathan. Both got denied saying "No this is the game and now shut up!") so I take back my comment about never buying it.

My general point stands though:

a ♥♥♥♥dev who doesnt give a damn and just does its own thing and ignores the fanbase doesnt get my money.

Anyone that thinks an update won't break mods has no idea how development is done in the first place. Mods are in addition to. They are not meant to replace code regardless of version.

Honestly, I bet that dev gets so many people crying about their mods breaking they finally lost their cool. They are not obligated to make your mods work. That's is the job of the mod dev, not the game dev. End of story.

Anyone that thinks an update won't break mods has no idea how development is done in the first place. Mods are in addition to. They are not meant to replace code regardless of version.

Honestly, I bet that dev gets so many people crying about their mods breaking they finally lost their cool. They are not obligated to make your mods work. That's is the job of the mod dev, not the game dev. End of story.

It was not that the mods broke. Thats expected for sure. What happened was basically They switched from using the Mono backend to using IL2CPP, so instead of simple edits like say the 7 days type of edits, its all their binary which would be not only redoing the mods themselfs but a ton of work, so effectively the change made modding almost impossible. or at least not worth the time. But again, the issue was not that. I can see why they did that, the issue was with how they handled it. at least in my opinion

It was not that the mods broke. Thats expected for sure. What happened was basically They switched from using the Mono backend to using IL2CPP, so instead of simple edits like say the 7 days type of edits, its all their binary which would be not only redoing the mods themselfs but a ton of work, so effectively the change made modding almost impossible.

I see what you mean. The issue is unless you say, "Hey mod makers, I have your back and won't f your 'labor of love' up by creating a better engine/system/framework for MY game."

You don't owe them anything. Game devs can't control what happens if they realize their system is not going to be able to accomplish what they need it to. My only cardinal rule for Game devs is breaking save games when you update a game that has been "released" that is a cardinal sin in my opinion.

Another thing to note is so many game makers don't expect what they love to become so big they no longer have total control over it's cultural influence and end user modding. Once "your" game is being modded, people are going to assume it is somehow their's. They will ask you to keep compromising it to suit their needs over yours. Modders are riding coat tails. They didn't create the game, but they are using it as a creative stepping stone. At the end of the day, the original developers vision is the most important thing to consider when they make changes. Changes like that are agonizing. They knew exactly what was going to happen and I am sure they mulled it over for along time before they did it.

A game that had massive promise to me was "Stranded Deep." The original vision was much more "Castaway" simulator, and now it is moving towards multiplayer so faster I can't stand it. The devs original intent is completely gone because their mission was hijacked by the community. Should the devs listen to the community? Of course! But they should not compromise their original vision if that means throwing away so many promising aspects just to suit the communities needs. That to me is what modding is for.

Devs needs to make the best possible framework for everything to sit upon, and if the community is vibrant and talented, they will mod the ever living piss out of it.

Archived