Type "gfx pp enable 0" in the console for a huge performance boost.

jazztickets

Fairly sure it's post. This is a "thing" faatal posted in the 17.3 exp bug report thread and again somewhere else (maybe by someone else). It's supposed to be tied to the on/off option in the menu, but got missed in the a17.x update somewhere/somehow, here.

I have already submitted bug for this option.

Doesn't work in multiplayer, unless you are host. And if you are host - only works for you and no one else.

With that said, find the bug and add your voice to report, it will:

1. Show it's important.

2. Prove that my configuration of game/PC is at fault.

In multiplayer LAN only the hosting person can use the command as well. It gives an error on the hosted game. That said, since the host computer carries the larger load, it can make a huge difference. It did for me. I was regularly pegging my GPU which caused that awful stutter lag, and using this command got me down to ~70% GPU usage.

And given that I can't even see a difference after turning the post processing off, it seems like it was a lot of processing doing absolutely nothing for me.

In multiplayer LAN only the hosting person can use the command as well. It gives an error on the hosted game. That said, since the host computer carries the larger load, it can make a huge difference. It did for me. I was regularly pegging my GPU which caused that awful stutter lag, and using this command got me down to ~70% GPU usage.

And given that I can't even see a difference after turning the post processing off, it seems like it was a lot of processing doing absolutely nothing for me.

I see a huge quality degradation, but no noticeable performance increase. I'll play with it some more and see what kind of things it effects. Sadly, performance with eye candy turned up was still poor, as shadows seem to be a serious FPS sucker, especially if there are a lot of torches nearby. I told my players to turn shadows down/off, and when they do they get much better fps.

I see a huge quality degradation, but no noticeable performance increase. I'll play with it some more and see what kind of things it effects. Sadly, performance with eye candy turned up was still poor, as shadows seem to be a serious FPS sucker, especially if there are a lot of torches nearby. I told my players to turn shadows down/off, and when they do they get much better fps.

I have a lot of the eye candy stuff turned off or down to low but keep mid-to-high resolution and things look pretty good. Other than the trees going blurry every so often (especially those awful little dead trees) I don't see anything I'd consider objectionable graphics-wise.

Something else that made a noticeable improvement for me was reducing grass by ~75% in the sub-biomes where it spawns, as well as doing the same to the cinder block, brick and other rubble decorations in the wasteland. The wasteland actually looks better and is easier to navigate with vehicles. The forest doesn't look as good, but it doesn't look terrible, either.

For servers you need to add

<permission cmd="gfx" permission_level="1000" />

To the permissions section inside serveradmin.xml (it's where the saves are stored). Then players can run it.

Thanks a bunch, this is exactly what I was looking for.

The gfx pp command was meant as a debugging tool for graphics issues people were reporting on Mac computers. In A18 the main post processing options have been added to the video options window. I don't know if there will be an A17.4, but if so, we may push some of those changes into A17.

This is almost becoming as important as the "Gluten Free" tag you see everywhere even on things that couldn't possibly be a derivative of wheat....

I feel I should put a big banner at the top of my mod:

"Fully Compatible with gfx pp enable 0"

so people will look at it and say, "Wow, we should try HIS mod. Ravenhearst doesn't claim to work with that".

Hmmm...I guess I have a short window of time where I could say, "The ONLY MOD claiming FULL COMPATIBILITY with gfx pp enable 0"...

;)

For servers you need to add

<permission cmd="gfx" permission_level="1000" />

To the permissions section inside serveradmin.xml (it's where the saves are stored). Then players can run it.

Is there any specific place I should drop that line in the serveradmin.xml file? At the beginning, in the middle, last line? Iam not familiar with that kind of changes?:)

This is almost becoming as important as the "Gluten Free" tag you see everywhere even on things that couldn't possibly be a derivative of wheat....

I feel I should put a big banner at the top of my mod:

"Fully Compatible with gfx pp enable 0"

so people will look at it and say, "Wow, we should try HIS mod. Ravenhearst doesn't claim to work with that".

Hmmm...I guess I have a short window of time where I could say, "The ONLY MOD claiming FULL COMPATIBILITY with gfx pp enable 0"...

;)

BUT !!!!

Does gfx pp enable 0 work on A17.2? ;)

Hey I've just tested the command and I found the exact shader is killing the performance, at least for me. No surprises here, the shader is Screen Space Reflections (ssr) and halves my fps by 50% indoors with a GTX 1080:

You can disable just this one and leave all other shaders enabled:

"gfx pp ssr 0"

And thats all. This way your game will not go that ugly as typing gfx pp enable 0. The visual difference is very minimal. Display FPS with F8 key to discover it by yourself. Can you report if I'm not alone here?

I was reporting that in the bug thread in the past with more detail:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?110709-Alpha-17-2-Experimental-B27-bug-reporting-thread&p=953052&viewfull=1#post953052

Hey I've just tested the command and I found the exact shader is killing the performance, at least for me. No surprises here, the shader is Screen Space Reflections (ssr) and halves my fps by 50% indoors with a GTX 1080...

SSR can be pretty bad. It works fine for me, but I have a RTX 2070 and play at moderate resolutions (1080 or 1440). Disabling SSR at 4k I get a 33% FPS boost.

I just fixed a slow memory leak issue, so there is a good chance we will be putting out a 17.4. If so it will also contain:

Changed gfx command default permission, so all clients can use.

It’s the same one but the server admin must give them permission. The how to is already posted above.

So if I'm hosting one other player on my game I am technically running a server? Where is the server config file I need to modify located?

So if I'm hosting one other player on my game I am technically running a server? Where is the server config file I need to modify located?

On Windows 10 mine is here:

C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves

Archived