Really bad - just horrible...

gcomerfo

Well, I had a great game started in A17 stable version this week. I was playing a couple hours a day progressing nicely. I took over a POI of the car-walled junk yard with the metal trailer - it was literally across the street from a Trader Joe, in a pine forest! What more could I ask for? I survived 2 great horde nights my other maze walk base. I was on about Day 17 now... forge pumping iron, iron tools, bicycle, cooking some steak and potatoes dinner inside my spartan trailer. I decided... you know, I think I am going to pick up and move my bedroll.......

Hit E, all of a sudden ever block starts rumbling inside the metal trailer... wtf?! I thought - all of a sudden every block starts collapsing - the whole metal, well supported, strong trailer starts a brutal chain reaction collapse and all falls apart and I die!!! And to add insult to injury, spawn into some far off burnt ♥♥♥♥ forest at night. REALLY DEVS?????? REALLLLLLLLLY????????

I'm sick to my stomach about it and don't feel like salvaging the game - its ruined.

Anyone know how I can roll back my game to last save or something. This is just bull crap, move a straw bed and entire metal structure collapses! I don't mind dying if it's my fault, but this game fart is too much (I know it's alpha, but gosh dammit!)

There is no last save, but when I was playing a horde mode mod in a previous alpha, I would backup saves every now and then, and it worked just fine. You have to find the folder, it should be "C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\MAP NAME\GAME NAME". I assume that making a copy of the GAME NAME-folder is enough to restore a previous state.

Report this on the bug thread. Even better would be if you can go to the same POI in a new game and throw down the bedroll in the same spot and pick it up and have the whole structure collapse again. That is reproducible evidence and they are always interested in making sure the prefabs don't have any glaring structural integrity issues.

Here is a sample robocopy command i use to back mine up after every play session:

robocopy "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves" "C:\SaveGames\7DaysToDie\Saves" /copy:DAT /s /e /R:0 /W:0

edit: not sure why, but the forum showing a space between Sa ves in the first part of the command. There should be no space there.

i'll put it in as code just to see if it looks better.

Edit 2: ok below looks much better:

robocopy "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves" "C:\SaveGames\7DaysToDie\Saves" /copy:DAT /s /e /R:0 /W:0

Here is a sample robocopy command i use to back mine up after every play session:

edit: not sure why, but the forum showing a space between Sa ves in the first part of the command. There should be no space there.

i'll put it in as code just to see if it looks better.

Edit 2: ok below looks much better:

Couple notes.

1. If you make the command a batch file, don't name it robocopy.bat.

2. Don't run this while you are actively playing the save.

3. This will not back up the world seed files that are stored in %root%\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days to Die\Data\Worlds\%worldname%

The devs must implement a "revert game to previous day" thing exactly because it's alpha. Unstable things like this happen all the time.

I know servers do have backups just in case ,but the average Joe playing single player does not have that capability nor the will nor does he expect this to happen.

The devs must implement a "revert game to previous day" thing exactly because it's alpha. Unstable things like this happen all the time.

I know servers do have backups just in case ,but the average Joe playing single player does not have that capability nor the will nor does he expect this to happen.

If he's playing an experimental and/or Alpha game, failing to even manually back up the game files, which is no more complex than copying files in their directories, really is on him.

Yes, you can batch files and the like to back them up on a regular basis, drop them into date-time stamped directories so you can have multiple prior backups, but no one could reasonably claim they don't know how to copy files, and any person making such a claim, really ought not be playing Alpha-state games.

I, for one, hope that the Pimps don't spend a minute of their time catering for such players just personally.

If he's playing an experimental and/or Alpha game, failing to even manually back up the game files, which is no more complex than copying files in their directories, really is on him.

Yes, you can batch files and the like to back them up on a regular basis, drop them into date-time stamped directories so you can have multiple prior backups, but no one could reasonably claim they don't know how to copy files, and any person making such a claim, really ought not be playing Alpha-state games.

I, for one, hope that the Pimps don't spend a minute of their time catering for such players just personally.

Especially when something like this isn't something you should focus on at all with a game of this nature in this state of development. I can see a periodic save feature for single player coming later, but it would have to be tied to a manual process because of the way the engine works with the active world. You can expect the game client to "pause" fully while it's making a save/backup because Windows will otherwise corrupt the files.

Couple notes.

1. If you make the command a batch file, don't name it robocopy.bat.

2. Don't run this while you are actively playing the save.

3. This will not back up the world seed files that are stored in %root%\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days to Die\Data\Worlds\%worldname%

Hello,

I currently save the files in the UserName>AppData>Roaming>7DaysToDie>Saves folder, but I didn't know about the world seeds and to save that, I goto Steam, Right click on 7DaysToDie game, Click Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files, then click Folder Data>Worlds, and they are all from weeks ago but not any new files and I created a couple new maps/seeds?

When I goto the other Folder, with the Saves folder, it has my new world map name and shows date modified today, any idea why I can't locate the "world seed" in the other folder of Data>Worlds?

Thank you in advance.

This exact thing happened to me at that poi. I didn't lose much, so I didn't care. I thought it was cool when it happened, and I thought it was intended by the poi designer. Like when bridges used to collapse. I don't remember which alpha it was though. I've avoided that poi for living quarters since then.

Yea. F this guy and his structural integrity bugs. This is all his fault!

.Perspective.

.Perspective.

I agree. An automatic backup should be standard in EA. Because it is quite easy to include in the launcher (even with all the development overhead of a feature that has to work on every PC) but difficult to do for a large part those alpha testers (i.e. players).

Just like an EA developer has to put more effort into producing useful logs because most of his test force is an untrained workforce that forgets half the rules of bug reporting. You can't just do EA and treat the players like your professional testers.

.Perspective.

Yeah, coz dats wat I sed..... /facepalm

A really stupid amount of reductio ad absurdem there, Poojam.

I agree. An automatic backup should be standard in EA. Because it is quite easy to include in the launcher (even with all the development overhead of a feature that has to work on every PC) but difficult to do for a large part those alpha testers (i.e. players).

Just like an EA developer has to put more effort into producing useful logs because most of his test force is an untrained workforce that forgets half the rules of bug reporting. You can't just do EA and treat the players like your professional testers.

It would not be easy to be done in-game. You've got a lot of things running, from animations to timers, and all sorts in between. If you run it in Unity as a Coroutine* (so everything didn't completely freeze up while the save was occurring), then you're going to get an inconsistent save (precisely because the game would still be running while the save process was progressively saving the world). Absent doing that, then you're going to have to pause the game, to allow the save routine to run and save a consistent perspective of the game from all game elements, and make sure you've paused everything! in order to do that, ie/ player gets some timed "freeze lag" while the game saves (and let's remember, saving everything in the 7Days world isn't a microsecond process either).

Worse still, you'd then have to spend even more time updating it each time you changed the game.

When the game goes Gold, perhaps TFP will spend some time working out how/whether/or even if, they want periodic in-game saving (with time/date stamping to allow for multiple prior saves), but I would definitely not call it either simple, or a high priority for Alpha, and that's even before you get the added complexity of it having to take account of any mods that might be running.

The player in question lost their save, because they'd never once taken the simple step of copying the save game directory to somewhere, anywhere, else, and while I don't want to appear unsympathetic to their predicament, and I'm definitely not so inclined (it sux to lose a save game, and it really sux to lose one to a bug), failing to make any sort of back up of an Alpha save game file, really is something they should be angry at themselves for, not really at TFP.

I once lost a save game in an Early Access title (and exactly once only), and a really massive save game at that, but I then made sure it couldn't happen to me again, even though (at the time) I had to research how to make the batch process run periodically in Windows to do it.

* The games I've made in Unity aren't anywhere near as complex as 7Days, so I may be off here, and I'll happily stand corrected if that's the case, but I don't think an in-game periodic save is a simple thing.

That's exactly how I interpreted his response.

Well, how you decide to interpret is up to you in the end. I neither had nor made any attempt to fob off the unhappy predicament the OP finds himself in, but to point out that it was a "disaster" in the making (and his own making at that) by running without any save game backup whatsoever.

Hey bud, I'm not asking for any special treatment or features. Please don't misunderstand. Mainly I am sharing my experience here, with the forum.

If anything, hope they fix that POI structural integrity. Based on some comments here, same POI collapse happened to other people. I should have saved coordinates and such, and posted bug per Roland, but I already deleted the game in rage.

Yes, I'm sure backups is easy to do, but I just wasn't doing it. Maybe now I will in case of these game farts.

Anyone know how I can play the same game seed fresh? I was using same game name and it keeps generating different worlds... I thought it would generate same. no?

Hey bud, I'm not asking for any special treatment or features. Please don't misunderstand. Mainly I am sharing my experience here, with the forum.

If anything, hope they fix that POI structural integrity. Based on some comments here, same POI collapse happened to other people. I should have saved coordinates and such, and posted bug per Roland, but I already deleted the game in rage.

Yes, I'm sure backups is easy to do, but I just wasn't doing it. Maybe now I will in case of these game farts.

Anyone know how I can play the same game seed fresh? I was using same game name and it keeps generating different worlds... I thought it would generate same. no?

And please don't let the interpretation given to my prior post by some, let you think I'm not oblivious to the annoyance you'd feel at the lost game. I'd hate to lose a long-running save, it would really dampen my enthusiasm for starting over.

That's why you really need to back up the save game files, because it is Alpha, and that need be no more complicated than copying the save directory each time after you play - meaning the very worst you could lose is "only" the whole of your last play session, but at least not the whole of the entire game.

As for the seed, within each Alpha, the same seed name and map size ought to generate the same map, so if you were really keen on a particular map generated by a prior version (within the same Alpha level though), you could revert to the prior version, generate it, then play it through the current version. Also, keep in mind, the maps themselves are saved in Alpha 17, so can be played off of that too (Steam/steamapps/common/7 days to die/data/worlds) by referencing them by name in the game selection screens (I don't have access to the game at the moment, so you'll need to explore where, or someone else may be nice enough to post where).

And please don't let the interpretation given to my prior post by some, let you think I'm not oblivious to the annoyance you'd feel at the lost game. I'd hate to lose a long-running save, it would really dampen my enthusiasm for starting over.

That's why you really need to back up the save game files, because it is Alpha, and that need be no more complicated than copying the save directory each time after you play - meaning the very worst you could lose is "only" the whole of your last play session, but at least not the whole of the entire game.

As for the seed, within each Alpha, the same seed name and map size ought to generate the same map, so if you were really keen on a particular map generated by a prior version (within the same Alpha level though), you could revert to the prior version, generate it, then play it through the current version. Also, keep in mind, the maps themselves are saved in Alpha 17, so can be played off of that too (Steam/steamapps/common/7 days to die/data/worlds) by referencing them by name in the game selection screens (I don't have access to the game at the moment, so you'll need to explore where, or someone else may be nice enough to post where).

If loosing stuff ingame is so annoying and you hate to lose saves and it would really dampen your enthusiasm and you really need to back up the save games files, then why are you so insistant that the devs don't spend "a minute of their time" to create a backup function?

If loosing stuff ingame is so annoying and you hate to lose saves and it would really dampen your enthusiasm and you really need to back up the save games files, then why are you so insistant that the devs don't spend "a minute of their time" to create a backup function?

Because it's a non-trivial matter to do so (especially if it were an "in-game, periodic save"), and then it may need to be updated with every single update to the game they make from here on out, so not only would they have to spend the time to do it, they'd have to re-spend that time re-doing it after each update.

I would much rather see that time invested in more content than in a feature which every player can easily accomplish themselves by doing nothing more complicated than copying a directory every now and then. :smile-new:

Now, once the game has gone, or is real close to Gold, the cost/benefit analysis of building an in-game periodic save, or even just a "save to new copy on exit" routine, gets a lot more in favour of the benefit side of that equation, but until then, the cost is much larger, and the benefit (which really only amounts to protecting a player from their own failure to back up every now and then) isn't sufficiently large enough to outweigh that cost.

Everything the Pimps do takes time Kubikus, so you only get one feature (overlapping staff resource skills notwithstanding) at the expense of (or at least delay to) some other feature.

Archived