The sad decline of "The Walking Dead"

bobrpggamer

I have been watching the show from Episode 1 to where I am at Season 7 Episode 10 and it was such a great show but the Whisperers thing going on now is really uninteresting and I am not really that pumped for Season 10 on the 6th of October.

I remember counting the months and days for the new season or the new mid season episodes and now I just do not know what to think, other than it might just really suck as much as Fear The Walking Dead is now. Fear the Walking Dead just about made me cringe with the Episode that was intended to be a video made by the guys to promote their campaign to help anyone anywhere and as such seemed almost unreal like I was watching a commercial or something. I have read online where they may actually make a musical and this being a joke it could not that far from reality. Just imaging the Zombies doing some sort shuffle set to terrible rap like the Chicago Bears with that rap thing https://www.theretrosite.com/watch.php?vid=0659a67b0 they did and you will chuckle of how lame but possible this could be. "The Zombie Shuffle" maybe "We are the dead, and we aint so bad, we just want to eat you" . I started to think that Fear The Walking Dead was some sort of "Kinder Gentler Zombie Show" or some nonsense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/09/23/a-musical-fear-the-walking-dead-episode-might-actually-be-an-improvement/#72cdcc673e5f

I say after Negen was captured and imprisoned and Rick was gone, the show just does not have anything worth watching but as a long time fan I am willing to give it a try anyway. Also Judith at her size could not possibly handle the recoil kickback of a 357 python.

While I have been watching, I swear Negan seems like the Devil and the Saviors seem like the 1/3 of the angels that followed him. I wonder if the idea was somehow meant to seem so similar.

I liked Negan, at least the last playthrough of the series. First time watching from TV I got irritated that they did not kill off Negan and decided to imprison him rather than kill him, they probably decided that his character was so well acted and larger than life and they were probably running out of ideas and speaking of ideas, The Wisperers are just not anything as large as life as Negan was in my opinion - second playthrough anyway - although I am not at Season 8 yet and I will more than likely get tired of Negan about that time.

I hate to say it but Rick really was the best they had and as I may have gotten sick of him, I did miss his character in Season 9.

Carl was killed off because as an actor was not anything like the comic as I have seen on the Wiki Fansite Comic page. https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Carl_Grimes_(Comic_Series) yeah that's not Carl in the TV show. Carl was a baddass with a beard I guess but they were stuck with the Carl in the TV show and the only thing they could have done was to maybe have his character leave and then a new actor pop up as Carl and continue his character from that point, now they have Judith taking his spot and while its kind of cute seeing her run around with a Colt Python it may have been better to add 10 years or so and bring Carl back with a new actor, but its too late for that.

Anyway I am still liking the show in season 7 but season 9 when I get it from netflix I just don't know. I do believe it got a bit silly with the King Ezekiel and the kingdom and Jesus, yeah that one was a bit odd to take.

The show hit it's peak for me through The Governer storyline, then went downhill from there.

This reminds me of Dexter Season 4 and after season 4 it was about the same decline as The Walking Dead. It may be they are just milking it for the money and not doing the right thing and giving it a loving memory and putting it out of its misery.

I dropped it during the negan episodes... Show just had the same story...

Go somewhere, meet a bad guy, someone dies, Rick cries, repeat ...

thats about it, done for a good few seasons now, just raking in the money and hype

though, i do want to see carol kick some ass now, i just hope its not going to be 2 or 3 episodes doing that and then it back to

oh wait, ricks gone, or is he, "cue weird music"

this season will define if it needs another, i hope not, just finish it, they must of already travelled across the us, to get to where the needed to get to so many times

thats about it, done for a good few seasons now, just raking in the money and hype

though, i do want to see carol kick some ass now, i just hope its not going to be 2 or 3 episodes doing that and then it back to

oh wait, ricks gone, or is he, "cue weird music"

this season will define if it needs another, i hope not, just finish it, they must of already travelled across the us, to get to where the needed to get to so many times

I cannot believe I did not think of that. That could be something they may pull out of their hat if season 10 fails miserably. A little hint in the mid season or ending season will tell of that I imagine.

What has always been a mystery to me is that in all of that traveling in the search for the Governor and in runs to gather supplies, why have they not come across these other communities and especially the Saviors in their size that just popped up in the end of the sixth season. I know it is just part of the story and adding more to it but it seems unlikely to have just lived so close to each other and never crossing paths before.

Comparing the show to the comics, about half the people veered and took different roles... Andrea, not Carol, was the badass, the governor was MUCH MUCH more evil in the comics, negan is cast poorly imo, of course there's no Darryl, Judith died when her mom did (which ultimately led to the death of the governor), Rick and Carl pretty much stayed the same...

Negan was kept alive in the comics too, and was instramental in helping against the skin walkers... But I dropped the comics after the skin walkers, so missed Rick leaving but I heard he did in the comics too.

...if you really want to get some enjoyment out of that universe, read the hardback books that focus on the governor and his rise to power... those are really well written and are actually interesting.

You also get to see what happens to Woodbury after the fall of the governor. It's a good storyline. Follows comic canon not tv show canon.

- - - Updated - - -

Re Dexter:

Never. Ever... Read those books. They will *ruin* the show for you. In the books, his "dark passenger", which the show plays up as his sociopathy, is an actual babylonean demon who can leave his body and ♥♥♥♥.

It's pretty ♥♥♥♥ing dumb.

GoT didn't fall on its face until the 2nd to last episode imo.

...but then it fell hard.

Well Dexter and Game of Throwns are not known for their series finale's although the Dexter finale really just made me question about the writers (maybe they did it on purpose to just piss people off or something) for a long time and GOT Finale was not as disappointing to me and I guess it is really hard make the finale to shows that are already so great and the writers really have to come up with something amazing and maybe they cannot even think of how to pull it off and they run out of time or something but the Dexter finale was almost traumatic to me and Season 8 in general.

I am in Season 8 on my play-through of The Walking Dead and the drama had really gotten out of hand and I know it is from a comic book or graphic novel but a tiger is not going to who the enemy is in the battlefield, it is not at all possible and the thing is they have tied to make the show realistic in the past but the tiger knowing who to attack and who to not attack is not close to reality. I know the king in the kingdom is just a guy trying to lead his people and if BSing his people to think he can lead them as a king-like-figure and they survive believing it, it is not that far from reality.

What's funny is a lot of these series' end up being comic books afterwards, so the story goes on... Buffy, Jericho, Dexter...

GoT disappointed me because the ending made almost no sense. They spend most of the season proving she is NOT crazy, only to have her go crazy... They didn't have to do that. They could have given us the ending we wanted... But they just had to be cute.

Dexter was just weird... That boat ain't surviving that storm...

TWD? Tbd I guess. But I guess Rick just left? Without Judith? That's also weird.

Meh whatever, I'm over those kinds of shows I think.

Well the shows were so great at one time it can be disappointing when they go haywire. Breaking Bad was suggested to me by my doctor of all people and it was great from start to finish. Speaking of that what happened to Better Call Saul? Maybe a google search would help that question.

2020 for Better Call Saul, kind of a long wait between seasons.

My doctor also suggested Carnivàle which I also have. Kind of a good show and is pretty dark, I was devastated when Sofie killed Clayton in the end, I really loved the guy through entire show.

My doctor was hardcore though, when I said I was devastated when Rita died in Dexter he said "yeah, she was nice, that's why they killed her off". Jeez this guy was a doctor.

Lost interest in TWD when they started up the Governor arc. The first season was great, the second was okay. The third was pretty bad imo.

From what I've seen of more recent seasons, it all seems like nearly endless human-human conflicts and battles with the zombies taking a backseat to these story arcs.

I would give anything to have a really dark post-apocalyptic zombie horror series that focuses on the day-to-day survival over the endless human drama that seems so pervasive in TWD. Give it the bleak atmosphere of The Road, with 28 Days Later or I am Legend zombies/infected.

Yeah the drama in TWD is beyond belief at times but the main thing with human interaction is the fact that that in reality people will take what you have to survive eventually in that setting, the dead are hardly an issue in a world where the humans still have the brains and leads them to be more of a threat to each other. You can even see rick go from as was said "officer friendly" to killing the saviors at the outpost in their sleep for food, making them the bad guys no matter how they look at it. I like the way the one woman said at the outpost episode "you are not the good guys" and it was true. I would think you would learn rather quickly not too trust anyone and those who do do not survive.

The first couple of season are the best of course, watching the Blu Ray versions of these seasons was still amazing even after all these years since last watching from the start but not until season 9 did I really see that the show is over for the most part. It need a good series finale - like that will happen.

I accidentally got hooked on Happy! not too long ago, it was just violence and weirdness but I liked the guy from Law and Order Special victims Unit in it.

Well TWD refers to the humans, not the zombies, so it makes sense in their context to have the human interactions.

I was pleasantly surprised by hm, what's it called... Black summer? On Netflix? ...it's in the z-nation universe but doesn't have the cheese...

Is that the one where they make there way to the stadium? There was some cheesy parts but was overall good.

I heard they were supposed to rewrite the ending to dexter and breaking bad had a sequel coming starring jesse.

I had no Idea there was a Breaking Bad movie. I will wait for Netflix to have it on blu ray, I have not been to a movie theater since 2004, I don't even remember what it was, I guess that was the reason I stopped going and started ordering Netflix DVDs.

I have to say I did enjoy Season 8 of the Walking Dead or maybe the pain pills my doctor gave me made it more enjoyable. No idea why he went all out and gave me Percocet but I was in pain so I was happy to have them. Even though I did not get addicted to them, I can see why a lot of people nag their doctor for more.

This may be a drug reference but it was prescribed so it is not illegal or anything.

After watching the Black Summer trailer it seems to be a rip off of Fear The Walking Dead season 1 almost the exact plot, get to the stadium and rescue Nick and someones mom as the army hauls some of them off and then decides to use martial law in the suburbs of Los Angeles, or maybe it was season 2. That is just a lack of creativity to me sorry to say.

Well Netflix is really hogging a lot of their shows to make people buy streaming plans and I got sick of the ridiculous Netflix original shows and went back to DVDs by mail instead, so they may not offer this on Blue Ray, but I doubt I will miss it, I really hated Jesse at the end of the show so I would prefer to watch Better Call Saul when it comes back on and at least that is AMC and will have Blue Ray offerings to rent and catch up on the show seeing how its been so long.

Walt was pretty hardcore in the end but Jesse was a backstabber at the end of the show and I hated him for that.

180 post without making a complete ass out of myself, that's a new record.

Well Netflix is really hogging a lot of their shows to make people buy streaming plans and I got sick of the ridiculous Netflix original shows and went back to DVDs by mail instead, so they may not offer this on Blue Ray, but I doubt I will miss it, I really hated Jesse at the end of the show so I would prefer to watch Better Call Saul when it comes back on and at least that is AMC and will have Blue Ray offerings to rent and catch up on the show seeing how its been so long.

Walt was pretty hardcore in the end but Jesse was a backstabber at the end of the show and I hated him for that.

180 post without making a complete ass out of myself, that's a new record.

The Netflix originals (some of them) will probably be the only reason I keep subscribing to Netflix to be honest. I like several Prime originals as well. Definitely plan to pick up Disney's offering next month as some of their new MCU series look to be good. I really liked Jessica Jones and assume that will continue on Disney going forward if it continues. I think they have every right to keep those shows off of Blue Ray to entice people to subscribe.

Speaking of which...anyone watch Cobra Kai later seasons? Were they as good as season 1? I might buy a month of Youtube to watch more of that original series if it stayed good...

JJones is dead (the show). Big marvel decided that those branches were not very good. They're wrong of course, but whatever. Well, Luke Cage sucked but JJ and DD were top notch, and Punisher, Defenders, Iron Fist were good enough...

KKai S2 had the *best* school fight I've ever seen in a show... it was /brutal/. Good season, and probably the only one where I started to side with Daniel. Well, for one particular scene, anyway.

Archived