Infection is crazy now! My story + a suggestion

Xtrakicking

Finally, after 18 alphas, infection is actually dangerous now. I just had one of the most intense playthroughs of my life due to the infection mechanic.

I got infected on day 3. At first I looked everywhere for honey, thinking it would cure it no problem. I look for "honey" at the trader's, but can't find any in his inventory. After doing 3 buried supplies quests and looting some houses, I found one jar and realised it only cures 5% (I was at 20% already, I think).

"Oh crap", I think. I need antibiotics. How in the heck do I get some? I had looked through 2 towns and found no pharmacies. I was panicking in a bookstore when I suddenly found the antibiotics recipe. I was so damn relieved, until I realised that I needed 10 frigging sham sandwiches.

I then spent the next 3 days looking for sandwiches. I looked through several houses, many garbage dumps and barns. I had only found 6. It was already horde night and I was at 60% infection already. I tried, in my agonal situation, to loot a shamway's factory I had found, but couldn't bring myself to go too deep inside. Waaay too many zombies, it was impossible.

I climbed the building up to one of the towers to hide from the hordenight. While up there, I did think of jumping, but luckily I found the big stash which had 3 sandwiches. I had 9 in total. There was still hope. The horde came and the ♥♥♥♥ers managed to get to the base of the tower and break it down just as I was getting off of it. After getting cornered by some zombies and a vulture, I got out with a little over 10 hp and a broken leg.

I then spent the following 2 days looking for a sandwich that never came. I had 9 sandwiches, I was at 80% infection and I had given up any hope. Ready to die, I decided to just walk away into the distance to either find a miracle or disappear forever.

Then the miracle happened, as I was staring into a giant red cross painted over a small, oval-like metal structure in a military camp. Indeed I managed to find one antibiotic in there, after fighting the locals. Problem was, that antibiotics only cure 25 frigging % of the infection...

I was bummed, not gonna lie, but it did give me hope and time to find the second miracle. A giant blue cross not too far from where I was. Yes, a damn hospital was there. I couldn't believe my eyes. It took me around 2 days and many arrows/bullets to scavenge it all. It was painful, it was dangerous and intense, but I did get out with 2 antibiotics.

If you believe God makes miracles, you have to wonder if Satan has a few up his sleeves. Even after all of that, I realised the antibiotics were only gonna cure the infection down to 2.3%, and I had nothing else to cure it completely. I had scavenged 4 towns and there was nowhere else to look. I could look for that last sandwich, but I really didn't want to waste more time looking for a damn rotten sandwich. I head home, almost ready to kill myself, but I decide to check the trader out first (just in case).

The ♥♥♥♥er had a jar of honey with him since day 3, when I got infected. I had looked for "honey" instead of "jar of honey", and that's why I hadn't seen it. I head home to get my money, come back and I was back at 3.1%. I buy the jar, sell it again accidentaly because I'm so damn nervous, buy it again and finally, after 12 days of agony, cure the damn infection.

Never have I ever had such an experience in this game. I'm sure I'll immediately get killed by a cougar or something next time I hop in, though.

BTW, the suggestion: For the love of all goodness, make it so sandwiches are a bit more common. It's ridiculous to have them spawn in shamway boxes only, especially when you need 10 if you have a chem station and 40 if you don't...

Thanks to anyone that sat through my story!

Great stuff!

I'm currently infected for the first time, but luckily already had a jar of honey which should take care of it.

Reading this, I think I'm gonna make medicine a priority. There's a hospital nearby. Hopefully I'll have some luck finding antibiotics

Do so, my friend. And if I were you, I'd stick with ranged weapons for now and avoid meele at all costs, at least until you get a jar of honey or some antibiotics.

Do so, my friend. And if I were you, I'd stick with ranged weapons for now and avoid meele at all costs, at least until you get a jar of honey or some antibiotics.

Right. Listen folks. The tree stumps you see scattered around in the forest have a pretty high chance to drop honey. Seems like about 30%.

Day 1, after the starter quest, run around chopping those stumps until you get some honey. Avoid being hit by zombies. Use your bow and a spear. Spears have amazing range.

The sandwich drop count is fine. We don't need more of the things. We need more seed recipes to drop is what we need. Burning 8 levels just to be able to grow corn is a real problem when you don't main fortitude. Especially when the food recipes that use them are almost as deep into intellect as the seed recipes.

Right. Listen folks. The tree stumps you see scattered around in the forest have a pretty high chance to drop honey. Seems like about 30%.

Day 1, after the starter quest, run around chopping those stumps until you get some honey. Avoid being hit by zombies. Use your bow and a spear. Spears have amazing range.

The sandwich drop count is fine. We don't need more of the things. We need more seed recipes to drop is what we need. Burning 8 levels just to be able to grow corn is a real problem when you don't main fortitude. Especially when the food recipes that use them are almost as deep into intellect as the seed recipes.

I agree the sandwich drop is fine but I think the seeds and seed recipes are good too. I'm on day 14 and have found the corn recipe and found a blue berry and potato seed drop. So I have 1 potato and blueberry and a bunch of corn growing.

I'm actually glad it gives me a reason to loot now. In the previous versions after awhile I would only loot safes since I usually had a storage chest full of canned good and stacks of meat stews. I would have tons of potatoes, corn. It's making farming fun again for me. I just found the fish taco recipe in a drop and there is still corn and potatoes growing in the wild. Grab one level of living off the land and you can harvest 2 off each plant in the wild.

They're not saying the sandwich drop is too little....at least, I don't read it as the point of that particular request. The quote is:

make it so sandwiches are a bit more common... /SNIP ...especially when you need 10 if you have a chem station and 40 if you don't...

sandwiches need to be more common if you're going to need 10 to 40 of them, OR antibiotics need to require less.

I'd venture to say the VAST majority of people, and this story supports that, are more likely to find an antibiotics item MUCH more easily than 10 sham sandwiches.

I get not wanting to make antibiotics too easy to produce, otherwise infection means nothing, but the actual items to make the antibiotics are actually harder to find than random antibiotics themselves, AND still have no way to be produced naturally, so you're looking for random loot either way. Let us make antibiotics with 50-100 rotten flesh and some other stuff...still pricey, but you have to explore or risk to get rotten flesh (carving up zombie animals or exploring for gore blocks) so it's still difficult to get, but you can actually seek it out with purpose, as opposed to simply looking and hoping in every shamway box and garbage pile.

10 sandwiches to make 1 moldy bread seems a little much to me, I mean, there are 2 pieces of bread on each sandwich right? :)

I'd also like to see a recipe that lets you put meat + some bottled murky water into the chemistry station and make rotting flesh.

- P

Protip: get armor, My last dead is dead game I went to day 12 and I got infected once the entire time and I got hit a ton. The effect resistance on armor actually works now. First thing I do in a new game in a18 exp is try to get some armor, even a set of padded armor out of cloth+duct tape is 39 armor rating. How its 39 is beyond me, 7x5 is 35, not 39. but its 39 in game. I then switch it out for heavy armor, and hope I find the urban combat book that makes it so when in combat your armors movement speed reduction is nullified, so you can run around full speed in a fight. That book is so much fun when you get it, its like night and day the stuff you can pull off once you have it when you can freely run around without your armor slowing you down... till combat is over anyway. With iron armor with good stat rolls, you can hit 65 armor rating or so, mods can put that up to 75 or, 80. with the +2 and +3 armor rating mods on each piece.

Use clubs, they are by far the best melee weapon in a18, can flinch like knives, and knockdown often, zombies don't hit you much when you knock them down on the first hit.

I agree the sandwich drop is fine but I think the seeds and seed recipes are good too. I'm on day 14 and have found the corn recipe and found a blue berry and potato seed drop. So I have 1 potato and blueberry and a bunch of corn growing.

I'm actually glad it gives me a reason to loot now. In the previous versions after awhile I would only loot safes since I usually had a storage chest full of canned good and stacks of meat stews. I would have tons of potatoes, corn. It's making farming fun again for me. I just found the fish taco recipe in a drop and there is still corn and potatoes growing in the wild. Grab one level of living off the land and you can harvest 2 off each plant in the wild.

Yeah, a18 brings back alot of the things that went bye bye when it went from a16 to a17. The reason to loot and such. I especially have my eyes sparkle like a kid in a candy store if I find a bookstore, one of the crack a book poi's. Though imma be honest the sky scraper crack-a-book poi sucks now for loot, they removed like 80% of the bookshelves/boxes in a17. I don't even bother with it anymore as its not worth the time to clear it.

That's awesome OP, I remember a similar experience in a previous alpha years ago and I still remember it today. But I didn't make it from a day1 infection, I found the sandwiches thinking I'd made it after a week of constant looting, but I forgot it took awhile to cook with a beaker in campfire, I realized it wasn't going to cook in time, infection reached 100, I just watched it cooking as I died.

Unfortunately we lose that early game survival fun once we have stacks of supplies. But I'm still hoping devs will continue to push that survival challenge into the late game. Stories like yours certainly help.

Protip: get armor, My last dead is dead game I went to day 12 and I got infected once the entire time and I got hit a ton. The effect resistance on armor actually works now. First thing I do in a new game in a18 exp is try to get some armor, even a set of padded armor out of cloth+duct tape is 39 armor rating. How its 39 is beyond me, 7x5 is 35, not 39. but its 39 in game. I then switch it out for heavy armor, and hope I find the urban combat book that makes it so when in combat your armors movement speed reduction is nullified, so you can run around full speed in a fight. That book is so much fun when you get it, its like night and day the stuff you can pull off once you have it when you can freely run around without your armor slowing you down... till combat is over anyway. With iron armor with good stat rolls, you can hit 65 armor rating or so, mods can put that up to 75 or, 80. with the +2 and +3 armor rating mods on each piece.

Nice! Not experienced enough with a18 to attempt dead is dead yet. Love that mode.

I only recently got infected (day 12 i think), but i already had 2 jars of honey and some antibiotics at base, so i only had to run back. The only problem was i already had lower max stamina due to lower food (too long wandering), as well as being encumbered.

I wonder if it's possible to raise the infection level while curing it, for example getting hit from Zs.

Finally, after 18 alphas, infection is actually dangerous now. I just had one of the most intense playthroughs of my life due to the infection mechanic.

I got infected on day 3. At first I looked everywhere for honey, thinking it would cure it no problem. I look for "honey" at the trader's, but can't find any in his inventory. After doing 3 buried supplies quests and looting some houses, I found one jar and realised it only cures 5% (I was at 20% already, I think).

"Oh crap", I think. I need antibiotics. How in the heck do I get some? I had looked through 2 towns and found no pharmacies. I was panicking in a bookstore when I suddenly found the antibiotics recipe. I was so damn relieved, until I realised that I needed 10 frigging sham sandwiches.

I then spent the next 3 days looking for sandwiches. I looked through several houses, many garbage dumps and barns. I had only found 6. It was already horde night and I was at 60% infection already. I tried, in my agonal situation, to loot a shamway's factory I had found, but couldn't bring myself to go too deep inside. Waaay too many zombies, it was impossible.

I climbed the building up to one of the towers to hide from the hordenight. While up there, I did think of jumping, but luckily I found the big stash which had 3 sandwiches. I had 9 in total. There was still hope. The horde came and the ♥♥♥♥ers managed to get to the base of the tower and break it down just as I was getting off of it. After getting cornered by some zombies and a vulture, I got out with a little over 10 hp and a broken leg.

I then spent the following 2 days looking for a sandwich that never came. I had 9 sandwiches, I was at 80% infection and I had given up any hope. Ready to die, I decided to just walk away into the distance to either find a miracle or disappear forever.

Then the miracle happened, as I was staring into a giant red cross painted over a small, oval-like metal structure in a military camp. Indeed I managed to find one antibiotic in there, after fighting the locals. Problem was, that antibiotics only cure 25 frigging % of the infection...

I was bummed, not gonna lie, but it did give me hope and time to find the second miracle. A giant blue cross not too far from where I was. Yes, a damn hospital was there. I couldn't believe my eyes. It took me around 2 days and many arrows/bullets to scavenge it all. It was painful, it was dangerous and intense, but I did get out with 2 antibiotics.

If you believe God makes miracles, you have to wonder if Satan has a few up his sleeves. Even after all of that, I realised the antibiotics were only gonna cure the infection down to 2.3%, and I had nothing else to cure it completely. I had scavenged 4 towns and there was nowhere else to look. I could look for that last sandwich, but I really didn't want to waste more time looking for a damn rotten sandwich. I head home, almost ready to kill myself, but I decide to check the trader out first (just in case).

The ♥♥♥♥er had a jar of honey with him since day 3, when I got infected. I had looked for "honey" instead of "jar of honey", and that's why I hadn't seen it. I head home to get my money, come back and I was back at 3.1%. I buy the jar, sell it again accidentaly because I'm so damn nervous, buy it again and finally, after 12 days of agony, cure the damn infection.

Never have I ever had such an experience in this game. I'm sure I'll immediately get killed by a cougar or something next time I hop in, though.

BTW, the suggestion: For the love of all goodness, make it so sandwiches are a bit more common. It's ridiculous to have them spawn in shamway boxes only, especially when you need 10 if you have a chem station and 40 if you don't...

Thanks to anyone that sat through my story!

the reward for first two tier of quest often contain antibiotics of both kind in my experience

i do all buried supplies quest for t1 e t2, you can do that in the first 7 days, they are all relatively close and you can do 3 or even 4 quest a day if you have enough of them listed, at the end you can sit on a sizeble amount of antibiotics

Archived