Time to max out all perks and attributes, a challenge?

Whorhay

I read another thread complaining about the time or amount of exp it'd take to to buy all of the perks and attribute points that are currently possible. Or rather it was largely complaining about how long it'd take with others of course saying this was perfectly fine. Frankly I don't care about whether or not someone likes how exp scaling works or not. What interests me is how long would it actually take to earn all that exp. From the thread someone it'd take 22 billion exp to hit level 300, presumably that is what it'd take to get all the needed skill points.

So I was thinking about a day 21 horde I had just today. It took me the entire night to kill 198 zombies just about as fast as they could show up with a hunting rifle. It was honestly not that rushed and I spent a lot of time waiting for the zombies to just come into sight. With my current base design this is probably about as many zombies as I could hope to get in one night without bumping the max alive count. By my math, even if I improved my design so that the zombies got into the kill zone twice as fast it'd take roughly 27,500 hours of straight bloodmoon killing time to hit lvl 300 from level 1. 22,000,000,000 / (500xp per kill * 1600 kills per hour) = 27,500 hours.

Now what that says to me is that killing zombies is just far too slow of a leveling method. If you ever want to have a prayer of grinding out a character to 300 in vanilla game play, we've got to find a faster method. What comes to mind is perhaps creating a huge stockpile of concrete mix, and carpeting the world in rebar, then upgrading it all with a nail gun. Or perhaps building a screamer farm, summoning far more zombies at once than a blood moon can hope to, and then killing them in batches with AoE.

Anyways people were saying hundreds of hours to level to 300 in that other thread, but I think realistically it could be more in the range of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of hours. What do you all think? Again, not looking for opinions on whether or not the amount of exp is good or not, just how we could go about achieving the grind without using creative menu or cheat commands.

Certainly concreting rebar seems to award a hell of a lot of XP, but even so, you'd still have to make all that concrete mix and rebar, and then upgrade it with the nail gun.

More power to someone who manages to make level 300, I don't think I ever will... hehe.

I think concrete would actually be restrained by the speed of your auger and chainsaw. You can relatively easily have enough mixers and forges going to keep up I think. So the limit would have to be how fast can you gather materials with an auger, including shale, and fuel wood with the chainsaw.

That it's technically possible for someone to reach lvl 300 does not mean we expect that to happen. =P

What? All I would have to do, is cover most of a 8k map in a layer of reinforced concrete!

Shoot! Get me 2 more forges... 3 months of uninterrupted time or sleep... Done!!

:)

What? All I would have to do, is cover most of a 8k map in a layer of reinforced concrete!

Shoot! Get me 2 more forges... 3 months of uninterrupted time or sleep... Done!!

:)

Ok. Go.

I expect you to report back at 1902 AEST 22 January, 2020. ;-)

/hands Aldranon 2 Forges and 2 pallets of NoDoze.

I read another thread complaining about the time or amount of exp it'd take to to buy all of the perks and attribute points that are currently possible. Or rather it was largely complaining about how long it'd take with others of course saying this was perfectly fine. Frankly I don't care about whether or not someone likes how exp scaling works or not. What interests me is how long would it actually take to earn all that exp. From the thread someone it'd take 22 billion exp to hit level 300, presumably that is what it'd take to get all the needed skill points.

So I was thinking about a day 21 horde I had just today. It took me the entire night to kill 198 zombies just about as fast as they could show up with a hunting rifle. It was honestly not that rushed and I spent a lot of time waiting for the zombies to just come into sight. With my current base design this is probably about as many zombies as I could hope to get in one night without bumping the max alive count. By my math, even if I improved my design so that the zombies got into the kill zone twice as fast it'd take roughly 27,500 hours of straight bloodmoon killing time to hit lvl 300 from level 1. 22,000,000,000 / (500xp per kill * 1600 kills per hour) = 27,500 hours.

Now what that says to me is that killing zombies is just far too slow of a leveling method. If you ever want to have a prayer of grinding out a character to 300 in vanilla game play, we've got to find a faster method. What comes to mind is perhaps creating a huge stockpile of concrete mix, and carpeting the world in rebar, then upgrading it all with a nail gun. Or perhaps building a screamer farm, summoning far more zombies at once than a blood moon can hope to, and then killing them in batches with AoE.

Anyways people were saying hundreds of hours to level to 300 in that other thread, but I think realistically it could be more in the range of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of hours. What do you all think? Again, not looking for opinions on whether or not the amount of exp is good or not, just how we could go about achieving the grind without using creative menu or cheat commands.

Unless my math is wrong, it's 477 billion to get to 300 (22 billion is what you need to get from 299 to 300). My current game I'm at level 68 which by xp is only .001% of the way and I'm playing at 300% xp. I don't think its realistic to think that anyone is going to get to 300 without modding the game.

I think the whole point of this update is to never reach level 300 and perk into everything, TFP want people to pick a specific build and perk into that such as strength, agility etc. like fallout or Skyrim. You want to be a mage or swordsman? Type of thing.

But who ever does reach level 300 it will take for ever 😭😭 good luck honestly. I’d say go with screamer farms and steel upgrading.

But that really is the point!

For a few players, reaching max level is the only thing that matters.

They achieve that, it's game over.

We're doing them a favour by not ruining their fun.

Actually the max reachable level is around 248 or something like that because the exp. will cap at that point. So technically, the game will go on forever because you'll never reach 'max' level. Great fun!

But that really is the point!

For a few players, reaching max level is the only thing that matters.

They achieve that, it's game over.

We're doing them a favour by not ruining their fun.

Gazz, what is the practical level cap currently? It would be helpful to know for planning skill point usage.

Gazz, what is the practical level cap currently? It would be helpful to know for planning skill point usage.

At 300% xp, on day 29 I'm at 70th level which is about 6 million xp. 60 million gets you to about 116. My guess is most people are going to stop before getting that high.... so 100-120th level seems like the highest most people will get?

Total guess, obviously.... and I'm probably underestimating people's hardcoreness.

So is the TFP vision to simply never cap out? My only beef with unrealistic time sinks for leveling is that solo play will be limited a fair bit more. I know I don't NEED to spec into the skills that give recipes so that's some relief on skill points.

Perhaps you guys should think about why...

I've thought about why. The reason TFP aren't worried is not all perks are required during late game!

They expected players to complain perks that were good early game, are not that useful late game. Enter Grampa's Forgitful sauce!

The analyses is: As game stage increases and player ranged equipment becomes greater than melee and as motorized transport makes the Cardio perk less useful, as examples. The player can change.

I thought the level cap was 150 in A18?

At 300% xp, on day 29 I'm at 70th level which is about 6 million xp.

Just to put all these arguments into some context....I am level 60 on day 26 with normal (100%) exp gain. Haven't been power-levelling either, just playing normally. Not everyone gains exp at the same rate. ;P

You also have to consider that there just is not enough to do to keep you playing for that long, i'm on day 20 in my current dead is dead warrior difficulty run (all defaults other than difficulty and mark air drops to On), and I'm already pretty bored, I got a good base, enough ammo for a army, enough food that I could hole up in there for a month+. I just don't see much of a reason to keep going. Got a t6 steel sledge, and t4-5 for guns I use, which are pump shotgun, ak47, and a pistol. Partly the stat system pisses me off, as I hate the fact if I wanna use pistols which I like I have to waste points in agi that has like no other perk I am interstead in. Stealth just isin't really effective in the game later on, it makes exploring poi's take way to long imo.

The game needs action skills instead, you use handguns? it raises the handgun skill which then the perks unlock at lv 1, 20, 40, 60 and then 80 in the skill. Instead of this stat locked garbage. Darkness Falls mod uses this and it works wonderfully. Handguns, Rifles, Automatic Weapons, Shotguns, Blade, Blunt, Medicine, Armor Use, Athletics, Mining and Construction are the action skills. You raise them by using their related weapons/tools, which then lets you raise perks to improve your use of them, or unlocks other perks, like construction unlocks the workbench and the metal workstation/tailoring station Darkness Falls has. Its a much better experence than vanilla skill wise. Not to mention 3x the spawn rate, zombies with special abilitys, special bosses, a tier above steel for armor/tools/melee weapons and more.

Perhaps you guys should think about why...

It takes forever to level in a18, not enough zombies around to kill. They also give less exp than they did in a17 as well. Also the fact that once your established the reason to play the game is pretty much gone.

I also feel stats need to do more, each stat should have a speicla thing they buff, Each point of fortitude, could up hp or stam regen a bit, each point of str could up block or melee damage a bit, each point of perception=ranged damage. Agility could up movement speed. Intel could up exp gain. Just some other benefit to adding to the stat other than just headshot and dismember chance to its weapons. Lets face it, if your going to go for a melee build str is pretty much the best one, it has the 2 best weapons clubs/sledge, and the sex t-rex skill that lets you later on power attack with the sledge for free on kill shots. Then you want fort, heavy armor+healing factor is lovely. The other stat sjust don't really offer as much nice stuff as str and fort does imo.

Int, has lost a lot of its value due to being able to just get schematics for things, I never put any points in intel anymore, I use workstations I find in poi's or traders till I find the schematic or buy one off a trader. Nevermind the fact the int weapons are complete ♥♥♥♥. There is also the fact weapons are locked to their stats, and the best ones in each tier generally are schematic only anyway. I do however like that i'm not forced to go into intel anymore, but your just forced to go into str/fort if you wanna mine decently or have any decent melee ability/tank ability.

I haven't heard a single complaint about an inability to gain XP.

(and I'm not counting those who obviously hacked their way to that point)

This is working fine until proven otherwise.

Earning exp works fine, the problem is its slow. Gamers today for the most part are all rush rush rush. Its why I don't bother with mmorpgs anymore, its all rush to level cap to do raids for gear that has no real purpose anymore as your at level cap, and there usually is nothing to use the gear for after you spend all that time to get it.

Doesn't xp go up with gs though? Current game I'm on day 20+ and zombie kills are 750xp or 850xp, radiated are over 1000xp, even looking in trash is more xp, or is there a limit to these increments?

Definitely a test of patience more than anything else, I don't think I can do one thing over and over, maybe accumulation of many projects to keep myself sane. Be a good challenge when stable hits though.

I think the whole point of this update is to never reach level 300 and perk into everything, TFP want people to pick a specific build and perk into that such as strength, agility etc. like fallout or Skyrim. You want to be a mage or swordsman? Type of thing.

But who ever does reach level 300 it will take for ever 😭😭 good luck honestly. I’d say go with screamer farms and steel upgrading.

Problem is other than str and fort this is just not viable. No matter what build you are, your going to want some str and fortitude, str fo rminer 69'er/motherload/sex t-rex, fort for heavy armor, living off the land, healing factor, both stats have 3 must have perks each imo. I can completly bypass Perception, Intel, and agility and do perfectly fine, byt if I cut str or fort out, i'd suffer a ton for it. In fact my current game is 7 str 7 fort atm, with sledge/shotgun/machine guns speced into for weapons. I see 0 reason to have to touch the other 3 stats as they offer nothing of value period compared to str or fort. I am bitter as I mentioned about how pistol is agi and how agi lacks anything really of value, so I can't justify wasting perk points in agi yet. I'm on day 20 in my game, lv 42 or 43 I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't xp go up with gs though? Current game I'm on day 20+ and zombie kills are 750xp or 850xp, radiated are over 1000xp, even looking in trash is more xp, or is there a limit to these increments?

Definitely a test of patience more than anything else, I don't think I can do one thing over and over, maybe accumulation of many projects to keep myself sane. Be a good challenge when stable hits though.

It does and it doesn't, a basic zombie is always going to give the same amount of exp no matter what the GS is, same for ferals, and radiateds. I get 467 exp for a basic zombie due to the nerd glasses on. That has not gone up since day 1.

Archived