Steel Tools

Llinx

I would like to see the reintroduction of steel tools made from steel bars. I have been ready for grade 5 steel tools since lvl 19 but find it ridiculously hard to find steel tool parts to break down.

Please change this as this part system is not fun, it is a chore.

It's that way by design. Steel tools are meant to be rewarding, and saying you've been ready for grade 5 steel tools by level 19 proves why the system exists the way it does. It's to keep it challenging.

Everything is a "chore" in the game. That is literally the entire focus of the gameplay itself. There's always creative mode if it's really that big of a deal for you.

saying you've been ready for grade 5 steel tools by level 19 proves why the system exists the way it does. It's to keep it challenging.

Every single streamer I see has steel tools way sooner than that in a18. This argument making crafting seem easier than looting is getting old. Never was it as easy as it is now, and you cant craft them now.

Every single streamer I see has steel tools way sooner than that in a18. This argument making crafting seem easier than looting is getting old. Never was it as easy as it is now, and you cant craft them now.

This argument about how "that streamer did it, so I should too!" is also getting old. The fact that you're referencing streamers as a support to your argument says enough. But that's another matter.

I'll level with you: yes, if you know how to abuse the system, and with a little luck, you can have steel tools, and top armor for that matter, at level 5 or so (variable depending on how long you set your days to). It comes down to managing looting and the current inventory at traders. And no, crafting has always been super easy in this game leading to being decked out in top tier gear before the 2nd horde. Hell, back in A16 I'd have full steel sets and 3-4 full stacks of dukes before the first horde because crafting was so easy to do.

Again, if all you're concerned with is having the best gear as soon as possible, just give it to yourself through creative mode since you clearly don't have any interest in actually taking the time to earn your top level gear.

It kinda shafts the crafters however and there may not be a way around that. On my player team I go out and get most of the loot, and I am specced for looting POI's. My friend builds up the base and makes our equipment, pretty much how it has worked for several versions of the game so far. However this time around, virtually all our equipment, almost ALL OF IT has been items I have looted from POI's. Unlike just about every version before this which all had me looting maybe 20% of our equipment. We play at about the same rate, he levels a lot faster than I do with his mining and building. But what he can make pales in comparison to what I bring back to the base, it is not even close. On top of that I am now outfitting us with level 6 gear and he will never top that. I'm pretty close to scavenging him a full Jeep before he can even build it. We are on standard loot settings.

Builders are kinda getting the shaft, maybe a lil. He's leveling a lot faster than I am but his equipment is whatever I bring him and he's going mostly INT build. I picked up a crucible last night out of a loot box and he's still trying to get to level 10 int.

I actually kinda felt bad about finding it.

At least he's having fun building the base.

You've just proven that powerleveling and trying to min-max doesn't work anymore and its a brilliant change imo.

Steel tools are end game loot, you aren't going to have any in early game without luck.

You could be level 300 and have a lot of parts but still can't make steel tools because you still need the schematics.

So it's random when you get the tools. For example, I found the schematics on day 5 and I also found a crusible on that day. If I find enough tool parts I can make steel tools. So much for "end game loot".

This argument about how "that streamer did it, so I should too!" is also getting old. The fact that you're referencing streamers as a support to your argument says enough. But that's another matter.

Instead of saying "in my game I looted steel tools very early" I can say, "in many games steel tools were looted in early levels".

Why is it a bad thing to use several streamer games as an example? It's just statistically better using a bigger pool of games for showing a result.

And btw, most of them were just looted, not abused like you say from trading. Not all, but most

It kinda shafts the crafters however and there may not be a way around that. On my player team I go out and get most of the loot, and I am specced for looting POI's. My friend builds up the base and makes our equipment, pretty much how it has worked for several versions of the game so far. However this time around, virtually all our equipment, almost ALL OF IT has been items I have looted from POI's. Unlike just about every version before this which all had me looting maybe 20% of our equipment. We play at about the same rate, he levels a lot faster than I do with his mining and building. But what he can make pales in comparison to what I bring back to the base, it is not even close. On top of that I am now outfitting us with level 6 gear and he will never top that. I'm pretty close to scavenging him a full Jeep before he can even build it. We are on standard loot settings.

Builders are kinda getting the shaft, maybe a lil. He's leveling a lot faster than I am but his equipment is whatever I bring him and he's going mostly INT build. I picked up a crucible last night out of a loot box and he's still trying to get to level 10 int.

I actually kinda felt bad about finding it.

At least he's having fun building the base.

You bring some valid points, but I think that's part of what they're addressing in the WIP loot changes they're doing. I was considering working on making my motorcycle, then found that it was far easier to loot, sell, and just buy a full one from the traders at day 4. That's just not right.

You bring some valid points, but I think that's part of what they're addressing in the WIP loot changes they're doing. I was considering working on making my motorcycle, then found that it was far easier to loot, sell, and just buy a full one from the traders at day 4. That's just not right.

I got my chemical station this way. So far I have put exactly one point into intellect and that is to be able to craft the forge. I can already craft steel, I can build a concrete mixer, I have a minibike and I could even craft steel tools on day 5.

You could be level 300 and have a lot of parts but still can't make steel tools because you still need the schematics.

So it's random when you get the tools. For example, I found the schematics on day 5 and I also found a crusible on that day. If I find enough tool parts I can make steel tools. So much for "end game loot".

I'm quite positive I've never got schematic for steel shovel, yet I've crafted one.

And even that RNGesus is not working right for groups. The pimps patched it so, that now every groupmember is looting at highest lootskill of your group. meaning the agiplayer skills better looting for the whole group.

I'm quite positive I've never got schematic for steel shovel, yet I've crafted one.

The schematic is generic for all steel tools. The symbol is a pickaxe on the schematic.

I have also verified it in the XML files. With the Miner69 Perk you can only make iron tools.

I get that you can't make a AK47 without a lathe, mill, steel press, etc. I that case needing "parts" makes sense, and forces you to go exploring if you want to craft those weapons.

But an anvil+hammer+forge should be plenty to pound a steel bar into a steel axe head.

Needing "parts" on top of forged steel to make a steel knife is absurd.

Needing "parts" on top of wood to make a wood baseball bat is absurd.

You've just proven that powerleveling and trying to min-max doesn't work anymore and its a brilliant change imo.

Steel tools are end game loot, you aren't going to have any in early game without luck.

And... you just proved why crafting got shafted? You already can't craft T6. Now you can't craft at all without the blessings of RNGesus, multiple times! By then you already got a decent one. Maybe not T6, but doesn't matter, can't craft it anyway.

Archived